Comments from bluecat158

Showing 9 comments

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Deer Lake Drive-In on Dec 27, 2006 at 11:58 pm

Passed by there yesterday… The trees surrounding the lot have been cleared and there’s a pile of rubble where (I’m guessing) the consession stand once stood. Screen is still there and is much more prominent with all the trees gone :) There was a bulldozer on site and a sign for a construction crew by the road.

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Viewmont Mall Cinema on Apr 21, 2006 at 11:26 pm

The Viewmont Mall Cenema was closed and demolished sometime between late 1999 and the early 2000’s (exact year unknown). A Borders Bookstore and parking lot are now on the site, along with the expansion of a department store. They closed not too long after the whole “Rated R ID checks” began. I remember visiting the theater with some friends who wanted to see the South Park movie. That was the first movie I ever snuck into, since I was under 17 at the time ;) It’s a shame the theater was demolished, there are so few places to see a movie in NEPA.

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Ritz East Theater on Apr 21, 2006 at 1:53 am

Have many fond (and many not so fond) memories of working at the East in 2001. We didn’t get much foot traffic, being off on our on at the middle of the block, but we held our own. Ritz did a nice job remodeling, but didn’t replace the glass front doors. Looked at in the right light, the AMC logo was still visible. First show I saw there was “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” and worked there for about 9 months in 2002. Can remember every film I saw at each of the four theatres. I’ve since moved from the city and miss picking up my Filmbill every month!

More information about the Ritz Theatre chain (the three in Phila. and the one NJ location) can be found at http://www.ritzfilmbill.com

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Freedman Theatre on Apr 20, 2006 at 10:44 pm

Photos from above mentioned book available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluecat158/

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Irving Theatre on Apr 20, 2006 at 8:57 pm

Anyone have any photos of the Irving? I’m a Forest City native and drove through C-dale at least twice a week… but I’ve since moved and can’t remember what she looked like before being torn down.

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Family Theatre on Apr 20, 2006 at 1:58 am

As a FC native, I had never known there was a theatre in town. Zazzera’s is ok, but rundown. Shame it used to be a theatre. I’ll check some books of mine for photos, if any are available.

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Deer Lake Drive-In on Apr 20, 2006 at 12:44 am

I go past there about twice a month… haven’t seen any changes in a long while. Haven’t noticed if the for sale signs are there anymore, either. Was by there last weekend, just looks like it’s deteriorating fast. Would love to do a photo project there, but am afraid it’s now private property.

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Columbia Drive-In on Apr 19, 2006 at 11:04 pm

From columbiadrivein.com:

“On behalf of the Columbia Drive In associates I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyal patronage during the past 5 years. Unfortunately, the Drive In has closed for good, but, the memories will last forever. Please know that we are actively searching for a new location in the Lancaster County area to develop the new Columbia Drive In Theatres. Until that goal is achieved, we will be operating the Ephrata Main Street Twin Theatres on route 322 in Ephrata.”

bluecat158
bluecat158 commented about Center Theatre on Apr 18, 2006 at 11:08 pm

The address listed of 300 Lackawanna Ave. is currently the location of the Mall at Steamtown. At 301 Lackawanna Ave. (presumably across the street) is the Marquee Cinemas Scranton 8 (marqueecinemas.com). Saw a few movies at the Steamtown 8 bakc when I was a NEPA resident, but was never crazy about it. After all the hubbub of a movie theater re-opening Downtown, to me it was a disappointment. The Mall at Steamtown opened in the 90s (I believe) and is linked by a footbridge to the Steamtown Historic Site, but I don’t remember much about the area from before then.