Comments from Danny Baldwin

Danny Baldwin commented about Moviemax Carlsbad on Oct 9, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Correct. The new theater should be opening very soon because it’s already on Fandango (though no tickets on sale yet). All reporting says MovieMax will close, although I’m a little skeptical about that, because the owner (who only owns this theater) paid to upgrade to digital AFTER the new theater was announced. I spoke with him years back and he said he had considered going arthouse… wonder if that could potentially happen / what his lease terms are.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Sep 26, 2014 at 7:42 pm

No no, as with any other IMAX screen, ‘Scope is shown “letterboxed” with no masking. I was saying 1.44:1 content is usually cropped to 1.90:1

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Sep 26, 2014 at 6:41 pm

For all IMAX presentations (i.e. not film festival), the screen is kept at 1.90:1. Masking isn’t used for ‘Scope, per IMAX standard, but does exist. IMAX releases cropped 1.90:1 versions of most 1.44:1 content (i.e. it was not pillarboxed in the games scenes in the most recent 'Hunger Games’ film, but rather shown in 1.90:1).

I was told the screen would be getting a bit bigger with laser, but don’t have any dimensions info.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Sep 26, 2014 at 4:30 pm

They’d have to bring in the masking on the sides quite a bit for film because at full size, the screen isn’t 1.44:1, it’s 1.90:1. Is there a single IMAX anywhere that isn’t wall-to-wall width?

Danny Baldwin commented about New Beverly Cinema on Sep 1, 2014 at 7:12 am

Will be dark for all of September, reportedly to resume a regular schedule in October. Word is that Michael Torgan will no longer be the operator. Details are hard to come by beyond that. Hats off to him for all the years; the New Bev has been a seminal part of my (and so many others') film education.

I have to wonder if this is somehow connected to the rumors that Quentin Tarantino put in a bid on the Rialto in South Pas. Although that’s total idle speculation.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Dec 12, 2013 at 8:22 pm

No, the screen is at its largest dimensions in 1.9:1.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Dec 10, 2013 at 2:42 am

Yes, the movie does utilize the full screen when the games begin. However, the Chinese IMAX does not use masking for any ‘Scope IMAX feature (this is standard IMAX policy). The masking is only used for special presentations like the AFI Fest galas.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:48 am

So ArcLight just put tickets onsale for GRAVITY at every location but Hollywood. However, on their Facebook page, they wrote “*Hollywood tickets for "Gravity” will be on sale soon. Make sure to like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to be the first to know!"

So I guess we’re still in the dark on whether there will be co-bookings when the Chinese gets the IMAX version.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug 30, 2013 at 7:58 am

The question is: will they use the masking for regular IMAX presentations (becoming the only IMAX theater in the world to do this, to my knowledge), or just for special presentations like premieres? The “no masking” craze on all premium-branded screens, not just IMAX, makes me think they like to keep the screen maximally opened up just to prove it’s there and is huge.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:35 am

Yep, 1.9 is the standard for digital IMAX. I saw The Dark Knight Rises in 1.9 projected on a 1.44 screen—similar to the scenario RobertAlex describes above.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:29 am

As a $15/year member, you get a $5 gift card, a free ticket the month of your birthday, and two free tickets to ArcLight Presents shows in addition to the other stuff. That’s totally worth it to me.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin commented about Cinerama Films at the Gaslamp Theatre on Jul 6, 2013 at 2:46 am

Not always. It just became the name of the series. Although the biggest house at the Gaslamp, which they’re sometimes shown on, is that big (if not bigger).

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Don’t all digital IMAX screens play every domestic digital IMAX release? My understanding was only the 1570 sites don’t play certain IMAX releases, when the windows are too short to justify making 1570 prints. The only time I can see the Chinese bucking that trend is if Disney refuses due to the El Capitan.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:02 pm

The LA Times article said the now standard dual Christie digital IMAX projector would be installed when it re-opens, then the theater would be the first to get laser next year.

I wonder: When a Disney title is offered in IMAX, will it play both the El Cap and the Chinese now, or just one or the other?

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:37 am

I actually think the IMAX brand is one of the only things that will draw current audiences to the Chinese, even though it’s vastly inferior to the theater as it is now.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 13, 2013 at 4:34 am

I think they’re arguing it’s “LieMax” because it will be digital projection and a 1.90:1 screen rather than 1.44:1, not because of the size.

Danny Baldwin commented about Crest Theatre on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I cannot believe this is happening but… It’s re-opening again! Miracles do happen.

Danny Baldwin commented about AMC Burbank 16 on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I, too, found the light level impressive, especially compared to the standard today, although I don’t think it’s going to change anyone’s mind on 3-D. If I were set on seeing a movie in 3-D, I would definitely go to (and pay extra for) a laser theater. But laser wouldn’t make me want to see something in 3-D that I was planning on otherwise seeing in 2-D.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Mar 24, 2013 at 2:19 am

“East of Eden” and “Splendor in the Grass” are 35mm, the rest digital.

Danny Baldwin commented about AMC Burbank 16 on Mar 23, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I’m going to check it out on the second weekend. Will report back if no one else has by that time.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Jan 12, 2013 at 6:02 am

Yeah, if it was Real D it could not possibly be 90 feet. The format doesn’t allow for a screen that big at the moment.

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Dec 31, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Isn’t the maximum screen size for the Real D XL about 75'?

Danny Baldwin commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:01 am

I believe they’re RealD and that’s why the screen size is now smaller than it was in past times.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin commented about La Jolla Village Cinemas on Dec 5, 2012 at 1:34 am

No, AMC is actually upgrading to turn into a luxury theater—basically a Dine-In without the dining part—which I think will allow them to double-book with ArcLight. The question is why Landmark is getting a first-run blockbuster product in this case and not AMC, which has historically always gotten it.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin commented about La Jolla Village Cinemas on Dec 4, 2012 at 11:26 pm

There’s a somewhat interesting booking phenomenon going on in La Jolla right now… Since the opening of the new ArcLight, both AMC and Landmark have been robbed for content. ArcLight is getting pretty much everything, as one might have guessed. But on December 14, Landmark, which has not played a big blockbuster in well over a decade, will be getting “The Hobbit” alongside the ArcLight. This is somewhat bizarre because, pre-ArcLight, AMC definitely would have been the one to get that film.

For those with knowledge of how booking works: Is it possible that WB was not satisfied with the amount of seats ArcLight could provide for “The Hobbit” (their auditoriums are rather small, only 3 exceed 200 seats), but ArcLight didn’t want AMC to get the film as they are a more direct competitor, so WB agreed to run the simultaneous engagement at the Landmark? This is the weirdest booking I have ever seen a local Landmark get.