Comments from cath61

Showing 9 comments

cath61
cath61 commented about Ohio Theatre on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:08 pm

If anyone’s interested, the architect of the original building was W. S. Arrasmith, a Louisville architect who designed many Art Deco buildings, including 50+ Greyhound Bus Terminals. (a great book if you’re interested is The Streamlined Era Greyhound Terminal by Frank E. Wrenick). Thanks for the great info – always learn a lot on Cinema Treasures!

cath61
cath61 commented about Ritz Theater on Jan 10, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Cool memories! I only know about this theatre because of the architect (who I’m researching now). James Whitford Sr. He did several other theatre’s and his son did a few as well. Just thought I’d throw that tidbit out – I’m an architectural historian so finding out the architect of these amazing buildings is what I love! Thanks for the great stories!

cath61
cath61 commented about Alexandria Theatre on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:26 am

Thanks for the new info, I’ll take a closer look!

cath61
cath61 commented about Grand Theatre on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:36 am

The Grand Theatre was designed in 1929 by architect Charles Altfillisch. He’s listed with one theatre the Watts, in Osage. Not sure how to add this one to his list.

cath61
cath61 commented about Beverly Theatre on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:34 am

Confused…why is this listed under Rapp and Rapp Architects?

cath61
cath61 commented about 41 Outdoor Theater on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:16 am

Is this definitely a Rapp and Rapp? I ask because Cornelius died in 1926, George in 1942. If it opened in 1949, they were both gone.

cath61
cath61 commented about Alexandria Theatre on Jan 28, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Any new information? What have they decided? Curious!

cath61
cath61 commented about Coliseum Theater on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:39 am

It was turned into a Walgreen’s with expensive living space above (a 2 bd, 1200 sf, apt sold for $800,000 last year). Sad but at least the building wasn’t ripped down like so many others. Just turned into housing that no one can afford.

cath61
cath61 commented about Forest Theatre on Aug 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

You probably already know this, but I just saw this page. The address is now 3306 Garrison. It probably changed because it was originally the first building on the block and/or the building where the gas station is faced the other street. Either way, great building! Btw, the architect was the son of the Glidden Varnish/Paint founder.