Comments from cmbussmann

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about Oneonta, NY - Oneonta Theatre plans farewell bash, seeks new owner on Oct 30, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Saw Pulp Fiction in theater two, upstairs. And most of the Star Wars re-releases in theater one. Both rooms had issues with sound and obstructed views but it was still a cool place and I miss seeing movies there. Maybe someone can save it?

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Sep 6, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Not a day goes by where I don’t miss the Ziegfeld.

cmbussmann commented about Paris Theatre on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:41 pm

4K restoration of Howard’s End at The Paris looks and sounds amazing! Go see it there!

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about New York, NY - NYC's Most Incredible Old Movie Theaters on Aug 8, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Kinda depressing when you consider how many of these gems have either been shuttered, demolished, or repurposed.

cmbussmann commented about Park Theatre on Aug 3, 2016 at 3:22 pm

The Park Theatre has been open continuously since 1921 according the concession operator I spoke to there the other night. Went for the 7pm screening of Star Trek Beyond. Love this theatre, a true Cinema Treasure: as old-school as it gets!

cmbussmann commented about Metrograph on Jun 28, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Metrograph is great! Especially the balcony! Went to see House Of Traps (1982) and had a blast. Place is bit twee but I like their programs and am thus far quite satisfied.

cmbussmann commented about Film Forum on May 12, 2016 at 9:21 pm

No way! Those are gimmicks that belong in the cookie-cutter big box theaters only!

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Mar 17, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I read that the audio system from the Ziegfeld ended up at the newly opened Metrograph!

cmbussmann commented about Sunn Cinema on Feb 27, 2016 at 3:03 am

The Sunn Cinema is heavily featured in the film Gas Food Lodging (1991). Fairuza Balk’s character repeatedly attends matinee’s there and even goes into the projection booth. If I find a good still, I’ll add it to the photo section.

cmbussmann commented about Good lord on Feb 12, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Evil exists.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld demolition 02/03/2016 on Feb 5, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Personally, I hate photos like this. I want to remember the Zieg in all its glory!

cmbussmann commented about Rio Theatre on Feb 4, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Visited The Rio just after New Year’s to see Patti Smith perform. It was incredible! And the venue has been nicely maintained. I snapped some photos of the marquee, ticket booth, & lobby which I will upload here shortly.

cmbussmann commented about Balboa Theatre on Feb 4, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Added two lobby photos from Dec. 2015.

cmbussmann commented about Balboa Theatre on Feb 4, 2016 at 2:46 am

Saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens during my X-Mas sojourn in SF. It’s a fantastic neighborhood theatre with a great, congenial staff. Loved the experience!

cmbussmann commented about Times Square Theatre on Feb 3, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Still from the movie “Times Square” (Moyle, 1980).

cmbussmann commented about Times Square on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Thank you!

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 1, 2016 at 4:50 pm

If anyone has an image of the Ziegfeld marquee from the run of Times Square (opened 10/22/80), please post it or contact me.

cmbussmann commented about Cooperstown Theatre on Jan 29, 2016 at 7:45 pm

The New York State Historical Association Library in Cooperstown is hosting a small exhibit detailing Smalley’s history in Cooperstown; they also house the theatre’s archive (1921-1955 only). I took several pictures and added them here.

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 29, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Can’t stomach the thought of the Ziegfeld being gutted. An absolute shame!

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 27, 2016 at 1:59 am

Amen to that! I dragged so many people to the Ziegfeld over the years and none of them walked away less than awed.

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Went to the 12:45pm screening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens to pay my respects and say goodbye. The house was fairly packed — more people than I’d seen in years and even more waiting to get in to the next screening. They drew the curtains after the final credits: a fitting and appropriate touch that those of us who lingered appreciated. I loved this place with all my heart. It was the best theater for epic blockbusters in Manhattan (the faded opulence always making even the most mediocre film a true experience) and its closure will leave a big void.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about It’s Fade to Black for Midtown’s Iconic Ziegfeld Movie Theater on Jan 22, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Final screenings are next Thursday. Go say goodbye, if you can.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about It’s Fade to Black for Midtown’s Iconic Ziegfeld Movie Theater on Jan 21, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Devastating news…

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 21, 2016 at 3:51 pm

So sad the Ziegfeld is closing. Can’t say I’m surprised but it hurts none the less for knowing it was inevitable.

Saw a lot of movies here since moving to NYC and am glad I made the effort to do so. I feel like a lot of people took this place for granted.

cmbussmann commented about Williamsburg Cinemas on Aug 24, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Very disappointed with the screenings I’ve been to here. The theaters are wide but not deep and in some of the smaller one, the projector is so close to the screen that it messes up the aspect ratio and the picture doesn’t fill the whole screen. On top of that, last night they showed the trailer for the film they were about to screen. I’ve never had that happen ever!