Comments from cmbussmann

cmbussmann commented about Flatbush Pavilion on Jan 19, 2017 at 1:16 pm

What’s gonna happen to this place now that American Apparel has gone belly-up? I hope whoever moves in next restores the marquee.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about Brooklyn Heights Cinema I & II on Jan 13, 2017 at 8:07 am

The quest to relocate the Brooklyn Heights Cinema appears to be over. An interview with the owner gives a nice history of the place but states that his aim to re-open has been dashed by NYC’s insane real estate costs:

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about New York, NY - Landmark’s Sunshine Cinema: Why New York Cinephiles Could Lose a ‘Crown Jewel’ on Dec 13, 2016 at 10:04 am

In NYC terms, they most definitely are.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about Oneonta, NY - Oneonta Theatre plans farewell bash, seeks new owner on Oct 30, 2016 at 9:29 am

Saw Pulp Fiction in theater two, upstairs. And most of the Star Wars re-releases in theater one. Both rooms had issues with sound and obstructed views but it was still a cool place and I miss seeing movies there. Maybe someone can save it?

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Sep 6, 2016 at 6:44 am

Not a day goes by where I don’t miss the Ziegfeld.

cmbussmann commented about Paris Theatre on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:41 pm

4K restoration of Howard’s End at The Paris looks and sounds amazing! Go see it there!

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about New York, NY - NYC's Most Incredible Old Movie Theaters on Aug 8, 2016 at 7:33 am

Kinda depressing when you consider how many of these gems have either been shuttered, demolished, or repurposed.

cmbussmann commented about Park Theatre on Aug 3, 2016 at 7:22 am

The Park Theatre has been open continuously since 1921 according the concession operator I spoke to there the other night. Went for the 7pm screening of Star Trek Beyond. Love this theatre, a true Cinema Treasure: as old-school as it gets!

cmbussmann commented about Metrograph on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:59 am

Metrograph is great! Especially the balcony! Went to see House Of Traps (1982) and had a blast. Place is bit twee but I like their programs and am thus far quite satisfied.

cmbussmann commented about Film Forum on May 12, 2016 at 1:21 pm

No way! Those are gimmicks that belong in the cookie-cutter big box theaters only!

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Mar 17, 2016 at 11:41 am

I read that the audio system from the Ziegfeld ended up at the newly opened Metrograph!

cmbussmann commented about Sunn Cinema on Feb 26, 2016 at 7:03 pm

The Sunn Cinema is heavily featured in the film Gas Food Lodging (1991). Fairuza Balk’s character repeatedly attends matinee’s there and even goes into the projection booth. If I find a good still, I’ll add it to the photo section.

cmbussmann commented about Good lord on Feb 12, 2016 at 10:15 am

Evil exists.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld demolition 02/03/2016 on Feb 5, 2016 at 7:14 am

Personally, I hate photos like this. I want to remember the Zieg in all its glory!

cmbussmann commented about Rio Theatre on Feb 4, 2016 at 6:49 am

Visited The Rio just after New Year’s to see Patti Smith perform. It was incredible! And the venue has been nicely maintained. I snapped some photos of the marquee, ticket booth, & lobby which I will upload here shortly.

cmbussmann commented about Balboa Theatre on Feb 4, 2016 at 5:11 am

Added two lobby photos from Dec. 2015.

cmbussmann commented about Balboa Theatre on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens during my X-Mas sojourn in SF. It’s a fantastic neighborhood theatre with a great, congenial staff. Loved the experience!

cmbussmann commented about Times Square Theatre on Feb 3, 2016 at 11:21 am

Still from the movie “Times Square” (Moyle, 1980).

cmbussmann commented about Times Square on Feb 3, 2016 at 10:36 am

Thank you!

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:50 am

If anyone has an image of the Ziegfeld marquee from the run of Times Square (opened 10/22/80), please post it or contact me.

cmbussmann commented about Cooperstown Theatre on Jan 29, 2016 at 11:45 am

The New York State Historical Association Library in Cooperstown is hosting a small exhibit detailing Smalley’s history in Cooperstown; they also house the theatre’s archive (1921-1955 only). I took several pictures and added them here.

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 29, 2016 at 10:04 am

Can’t stomach the thought of the Ziegfeld being gutted. An absolute shame!

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 26, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Amen to that! I dragged so many people to the Ziegfeld over the years and none of them walked away less than awed.

cmbussmann commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 22, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Went to the 12:45pm screening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens to pay my respects and say goodbye. The house was fairly packed — more people than I’d seen in years and even more waiting to get in to the next screening. They drew the curtains after the final credits: a fitting and appropriate touch that those of us who lingered appreciated. I loved this place with all my heart. It was the best theater for epic blockbusters in Manhattan (the faded opulence always making even the most mediocre film a true experience) and its closure will leave a big void.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann commented about It’s Fade to Black for Midtown’s Iconic Ziegfeld Movie Theater on Jan 22, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Final screenings are next Thursday. Go say goodbye, if you can.