Comments from Crazy Bob Madara

Crazy Bob Madara commented about RKO Lincoln Theater on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Hi, Jim! I sent the request tonight! I haven’t looked at this page since 10/1.

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Harvest Moon Drive-In on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:06 am

Find us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crazy-Bobs-Harvest-Moon-Drive-In-Theatre/370804528377?sk=wall

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about RKO Lincoln Theater on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

Jim, you or anyone can send a friend request on FB: http://www.facebook.com/crazybobdj

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about RKO Lincoln Theater on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:36 am

I worked at The Brunswick in 1973. Bob Barker was the manager. Other operators were Don Reynolds & Bill Smith, from down south. Super Simplex & Peerless Magnarcs. RCA tube sound. One of my favorite booths!

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about RKO Lincoln Theater on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:31 am

Hello Jim! I remember when you graduated from high school, & you got a new car, a Dodge Dart Swinger! Your Dad, Walt was my mentor! He always used the say “If you aunt had balls, she’d be your uncle!” He smoked those small plastic tipped cigars, up in the Lincoln booth. I almost dropped lens in the balcony, out the porthole, one night!

My friend Don Dingler, (deceased)use to play the big pipe organ after show! Bill Foley, the doorman with the hand, let’s us do it before he locked up the theatre. The other doorman was MR. Marsh. He told me that he was born in 1890. He gave out the Vomit Bags for “Mark Of The Devil”. ..I loved your dad & I believe he passed around 1979. I read it in my IA Bulletin.

I remember you working at the Lincoln & the Trent. Around the same time, I was breaking in a young guy named Sammy, at the Greenwood.

The Simplex XL heads from the Mayfair, are still in use at the Pike Drive-In, near Williamsport, PA. I’m retired from the US Postal Service, where I was a rural letter carrier for many years. My wife & I have Crazy Bob’s Harvest Moon Drive-in between Williamsport & Jersey Shore, PA. on US RT. 220. Come visit sometime!

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Harvest Moon Drive-In on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:34 am

Our Double Feature Ticket Prices are 5.00 for Adult, General Admission, & 1.00 for 12 & under. We will keep these prices in place for the 2012 season Come have dinner in our Monn Cafe. ..LET’S EAT! http://moondrivein.com

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Bucks County Drive-In on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Some day I want to build the STARR*VUE drive-In near the Delaware River, in South Jersey, as a tribute the Sally Starr (she’s 88). We’ve already been talking to realtors. Land is a little cheaper right now, but financing is practically non-existent!

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Bucks County Drive-In possible return on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I ran a 35mm projector out of the back of a box truck for a car show (over 500 cars), back in 1984 @ Wm. Patterson College, Wayne, NJ, in the parking lot! The Films (I put on 6000 foot reels) were American Graffiti, & Hot Rods To Hell. I ran some old intermission clocks from the Absecon Drive-In, that closed in 1983.

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Cineplex selects Christie for 900+ projectors on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Are these digi projectors made in the USA like the Simplex That runs perfect for over 50 years? America needs to be put back to work!

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about July 4th 1952 Havest Moon Grand opening on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:02 pm

^ 1952 Grand opening^ Harvest Moon Drive-In Theatre Linden, PA.

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Special Classic Schlock 1970s Horror Night at the Harvest Moon Drive-In! on Jul 30, 2011 at 8:04 am

Sept. 4th Dusk to Dawn. American Graffiti, Two Lane Black Top, Viva Knievel, & Cleopatra Jones. Free Coffee & Donuts! http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115532578531680

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Special Classic Schlock 1970s Horror Night at the Harvest Moon Drive-In! on Jul 30, 2011 at 6:59 am

We are putting the second projector back in booth#1, so that we can do change overs & run 20 min. reels without splicing the leaders & tail pieces. ..Who needs digital!

Crazy Bob Madara commented about Atlantic Drive-In on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:25 am

The man is me. I worked as a rural letter carrier, in Mays Landing for my day job, & put a suit on & managed the Atantic & Absecon drive-ins (also the Ventnor & Margate) & I loved the Atlantic so much, that I wore a suit to work. it was my idea, & the Franks loved it! Sometimes I had to run the projectors (20 minute reels, & carbon arc lamps.

..I also have Asperger’s Syndrome, so I’m pretty weird!

Crazy Bob Madara commented about Atlantic Drive-In on Jul 17, 2011 at 9:27 am

Around 1970, I lived on Pineview Ave., in Cardiff. I walked to the Atlantic Drive-In to go to work. Our mailing address was Pleasantville, NI, 08232. Egg Harbor City is at the intersection of NJ RT. 50, & US RT. 30 (White Horse Pike.) EHT got it’s own zipcode in the late 80,s or 90’s.

Crazy Bob Madara commented about Levoy Theatre on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:50 am

I was a volunteer with Joe Pierce, back in 1998. I thought that we were going to restore the theatre. But when the city & state kicked in millions of dollars in grants, ..you guessed it the lawyers & politicians, who knew nothing about running a theatre, took over, & demolished the place!

Crazy Bob Madara commented about Pike Drive-In on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:00 am

It’s been the Pike since it opened in 1953. The 1st movie was Son Of Paleface, starring Bob Hope.

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Harvest Moon Drive-In on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:40 am

Darlene Crouse, passed away, in May, 2011. She was 63, & ran the ‘Port & Pike Drive-in’s for around 10 years.

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Harvest Moon Drive-In on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:38 am

The Harvest Moon Drive-In 1st opened on July 4th, 1952. The film was Red Mountain, staring Alan Ladd. Comerford acquired it in 1956, remodeled the snack bar, etc. & changed the name to ‘PORT Drive-In. http://doctorgrooveband.com/moondrivein-photos-scrpbk.html

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Wildwood Twin Drive-In on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:29 am

1987 arial.

Crazy Bob Madara commented about Atlantic Drive-In on Jan 7, 2010 at 9:50 am

How COOL! If you click on the 1963 or the 1957 link, you see the old Atantic DI.

The area south, between the screen, & the G.S. Parkway ramp was called Pioneer Town, I believe. I went there as a small kid.

My father had the Sinclair gas station on the Cardiff circle in 1957.

Crazy Bob Madara commented about Colonial Theatre on Sep 28, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I have the old Peerless carbon arc lamps that appeared in The Blob stored in my garage. I made a short video of us picking them up & meeting Ted The Fiddler.

Crazy Bob Madara commented about Circus Drive-In on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:25 am

The screen was still there the last time I rode by. It had a for sale sign. It could be made back into a drive-in a lot easier than a new build. I used to do some projection there. They had Brenkert BX-100’s, & Strong Excellite lamphouses. The main projectionist was Tony Pinto from Hammanton. Mrs. Caruso was the manager. The Brenkerts went to the Beach Twin on Long Beach Island. The lanphouses were rusting on the booth floor when I visited the ruins in 1984.

Nothing there now but a screen, & a bunch of trees! THE FRANKS built this drive-in, I believe. It was almost a carbon copy of the Atlantic & Absecon.

I used to have a pic of the mammonth Circus Clown neon marquee. It said Elliot Gould Getting Straight.

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about Tacony-Palmyra Bridge Drive-In on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:48 am

The bridge was free on Christmas Eve, 1972, when I was coming back to NJ after running a show @ the FOX Levittown on US 1.

I always got a kick about the two drive-in’s on RT. 73 being so close to each other. I used to ride around thinking that there were too many drive-in’s! That changed reel fast around 1983 – 87.

Crazy Bob Madara commented about Carlton Theater on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:18 am

It was before my time, but the building was still there in the 70’s. It was accross the street a little from the Rialto. I think that it was a liquior store?

Crazy Bob Madara
Crazy Bob Madara commented about East Windsor Cinema on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:13 am

It opened in 1973, I believe. My business agent in Trenton offered me some work there, but I took a gig in Atlantic City working mostly @ the Ventnor & Charles theatres.