Comments from CrustyB

Showing 7 comments

CrustyB
CrustyB commented about Village Art Theatre on Aug 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I hope they preserve it soon. I was just by there and the entire building is slanting noticeably to the right.

CrustyB
CrustyB commented about Portage Theater on Aug 3, 2014 at 3:56 pm

The place is a dump.

Today I went to a showing of American Grafitti and a vintage car show. I understand this theater has been rehabbed but it was still crappy compared to other refurbished movie houses like The Music Box and The Vic. “30 classic cars” turned out the be four, no one took my ticket when I went in, “American Grafitti” started 15 minutes late and there was a loud buzz on the speakers. Walked out after 10 minutes. Let it turn into a church.

CrustyB
CrustyB commented about Michigan Theater on Apr 23, 2014 at 11:20 pm

The Jim Jarmusch movie “Only Lovers Left Alive” was partially filmed here.

CrustyB
CrustyB commented about Elmo Theatre on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:20 am

I have about 50 movie programs from the Elmo theater my grandparents collected from about 1936 through 1938. I’ve uploaded a sample of one to the photo section. Note the “free stainless steel kitchenware” promotion that was common at the time.

CrustyB
CrustyB commented about Calo Theatre on Jan 9, 2014 at 12:06 pm

The Calo was where cop-killer Gus Amadeo was watching his last movie before being ambushed & killed by Det. Frank Pape back in the 50s. You can read about it here:

CrustyB
CrustyB commented about Claremont Theatre on Nov 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I heard from a number of sources that Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy performed her during the vaudeville era.

CrustyB
CrustyB commented about Luna Theatre on Sep 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm

This is where I saw my first live-action movie when I was 5 years old, “2001: A Space Odyssey.” It was a re-release. My dad yelled at the staff when they started cleaning the popcorn machine during the movie, which made a racket. Then at the end, before Bowman finished his trip through deep space, the film broke and they couldn’t fix it! Never saw the end of this movie until 10 years later.