Comments from davepring

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Aug 4, 2016 at 5:21 am

as much as I dislike Cineworld they do invest in their newer properties and the Empire we all loved so much as a 1300 seater was never going to work longterm.

davepring commented about Odeon Marble Arch on Aug 3, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Odeon give no regard for their older traditional cinemas. I only hope that AMC will invest in the flagship Leicester Square site….the loss of Marble Arch was appalling as a magnificent single screen venue

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Jul 29, 2016 at 5:15 am

Well my guess was wrong!! in a swap deal the Haymarket cinema will become an Empire to maintain a west end presence. Cineworld were keen to have a large West End venue following the closure of the Trocadero site and to compete with the AMC owned Odeon which hopefully will get a much needed internal refurb.

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Jul 29, 2016 at 4:46 am

it has bought 5 Empire cinemas one of which a previous 4 screen odeon will be rebranded as a Picturehouse. I am guessing the Haymarket venue will close.

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Jul 28, 2016 at 2:43 am

The Empire has today been bought by Cineworld…..I do hope they keep the Empire name but I am guessing it will be rebranded leaving only The Odeon with its original name

davepring commented about Everyman Muswell Hill on Jun 6, 2016 at 3:29 am

the stalls area is to be reinstated at this magnificent cinema .Everyman are doing a superb job on making this venue an event cinema

davepring commented about Odeon Leicester Square on Mar 23, 2016 at 4:24 am

Another 70mm film playing here now..Batman v Superman…I hope the lighting and curtain tracks have been fixed!!

davepring commented about Odeon Leicester Square on Feb 21, 2016 at 3:03 am

It is indeed a shame this magnificent cinema does not get the care it deserves. I remember going to an early digital presentation of Toy Story. The painted fire curtain rising in synchronisation with the theatre organ, cove and pageant lighting all in full working order and two sets of tabs gloriously lit….

davepring commented about Odeon Leicester Square on Feb 18, 2016 at 3:55 am

I was sat in row k in the stalls so that might explain the smiley end credits and from the stalls the tabs do seem dimly lit but then the whole auditorium was dimly lit giving it a shabby beige appearance.

davepring commented about Odeon Leicester Square on Feb 16, 2016 at 2:23 am

Fanatical..thanks for the comments on masking.I think you are correct abut the lenses.When the end credits were running on 8 they curved upwards giving a very bendy look! I also remember seeing many 70mm presentations here when the screen height was indeed much higher.

davepring commented about Odeon Leicester Square on Feb 8, 2016 at 4:12 am

CF100 That is great photo of the House tabs and its a shame they were not kept.Unfortunately the suits have no idea as to how to make the most of this iconic venue…its not a multiplex!

davepring commented about Odeon Leicester Square on Feb 5, 2016 at 8:49 am

Made my first visit in many years yesterday to see The Hateful Eight.The 70mm print was superb but unfortunately for the ads and trailers the massive screen was not masked down to standard widescreen format.The wonderful auditorium was dimly lit and none of the cove lighting was working.In such conditions people were struggling to find their seats in the stalls and of course there were no staff in the auditorium. Sad to see this place not getting the tlc and showmanship it deserves.

davepring commented about Odeon Leicester Square on Dec 18, 2015 at 1:41 am

In January Odeon will be showing the super panavision 70mm roadshow version of Hateful Eight

davepring commented about Everyman Muswell Hill on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:31 am

The two screens below the circle are now closed for refurbishment.I hope the front stalls area is re-instated as happened at Rex Berkhamstead and St Albans Odyssey.

davepring commented about Savoy Cinema on Oct 24, 2015 at 2:17 am

This lovely cinema is now open again and the frontage restored to its former glory

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Oct 5, 2015 at 7:14 am

Although I also regret the twinning of Empire 1 it was not sustainable in that form with over 1300 seats to fill.The screen is NOT tiny and the laser projection is superb. At least the cinema will not suffer the same fate as the Odeon West End with two cinemas in the basement!!!

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Sep 4, 2015 at 10:20 am

The laser system goes live October2 with The Walk. Spectre and the new Star Wars film will also be shown here in IMAX

davepring commented about Castro Theatre on Aug 20, 2015 at 2:52 am

This is one of my favourite San Francisco theatres and will hopefully remain showing film for many more years as my other favourites The Coronet and Metro are no longer with us.

davepring commented about Cannon Newcastle upon Tyne on Jul 15, 2015 at 8:14 am

For me Cannon represented the dark days of cinema in the U.K. I was even hopeful that the ABC Management buy out would be a success but sadly this was not to be and many of our great cinemas have now disappeared from the townscape to be replaced by Odeon dull multiplexes.

davepring commented about Everyman Muswell Hill on Jul 11, 2015 at 3:14 am

Now open again with a pop up bar!!

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Jul 2, 2015 at 10:36 am

Vue was maybe the first new build multiplex in the West End..well looked after by Warner..in a dreadful state now

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:28 am

Totally agree.The west end is very much over screened.With the opening of Picturehouse Central I think the likes of ODEON Panton St and Covent Garden will be casualties.The Vue Leicester Square is a shadow of its former self and only offers 2 decent sized screens.The Empire and Odeon Leicester Square are really the only event cinemas left.

davepring
davepring commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Jun 28, 2015 at 6:27 am

There is no way that the Empire could stay as a single screen auditorium.It had been losing money for years.Although I lament its passing I am amazed it lasted so long.The Warner and Plaza were twinned in the late 60s early 70s.The Carlton was butchered and The Rialto and London Pavilion closed as cinemas. Todays audiences want bigger screens and immersive sound and The Empire now satisfies that demand in a high quality conversion but like most other posters I miss the Empire of the 1960s.

davepring commented about Everyman Muswell Hill on Jun 22, 2015 at 6:37 am

This cinema has now closed as an Odeon and will reopen as Everyman once it has been refurbished

davepring commented about Everyman Muswell Hill on Jun 21, 2015 at 5:28 am

My guess is that the balcony will be re configured to provide around 300 seats and the stalls will be reinstated possibly with a bar at the rear along the lines of The Screen on the Green with table seating in the remainder of the stalls, with the two screens beneath the cirlce being upgraded to luxury boutique cinemas enabling a variety of programming.Everyman have not tampered with their cinema in Oxted and I think they will do an excellent job on the Muswell Hill site.