Comments from dickneeds111

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Cinerama Films at the Gaslamp Theatre on Apr 22, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I have purchased all 5 Smilebox releases and have enjoyed them on my 50" TV. They are in 5.1 Dolbly transferred from the 7 channel original masters. I know it is not real Cinerama by any means but if you have a large screen TV and Blue Ray(only way they are available on DVD)just turn down the light and enjoy. Here on the East Coast there are no Cinerama theatres left. On the West Coast you have 2. Seattle and La. I am going to see the owner of my local theatreand see if he cah get permission to run HTWWR, This is Cinerama and possibly Windjammer. Its only a 2 cinema local complex with new digital proj and new sound. Cinema 1 has about a 40' wide screen so they will look retty good.

dickneeds111 commented about Ken Cinema to close? on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Mark Cuban is cheap cheap cheap. I'n waiting for him to close down one of the 2 Landmark cinemas here in the Boston area even though they seem to do well. The one in Cambridge and the one in Waltham.

dickneeds111 commented about Astor Theatre on Mar 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I,m back with more info. Raintree County from what I have read was filmed in Camera 65(same as Ben Hur) but was never shown in 70mm on its 1st release anywhere. MGM said they could not get any 70mm theatres in the country because they were all booked solid at that time. They then needed to get it out so they sent it out in a 35mm Cinemascope roadshow version. It was not seen in 70mm until the 80s-90-s in 70mm in a New York film festival.

dickneeds111 commented about Astor Theatre on Mar 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm

dickneeds111 commented about Astor Theatre on Mar 8, 2014 at 4:21 pm

After reading some of the above comments I must put in my 2 cents. Porgy & Bess opened at the Astor in 70mm Todd AO in 1959(I saw it there) and it was followed by Spartacus in Super Technirama 70mm. Both were the same aspect ratio of 2.21:1(70mm). As far as Oklahoma it ran at the Saxon in 35mm cinemascope roadshow for most of its engagement until Todd AO was put in and then in Todd AO for the rest of its engagement. Oklahoma was shot both in Cinemascope and Todd AO at the same time. There are many differences in both versions. And to ever said they saw Ryan’s Daughter in 70mm at the Astor may have seen I re-issue because its original run was at the Charles.

dickneeds111 commented about Ontario Theater on Mar 6, 2014 at 4:05 pm

While in the Navy and also stationed at the Naval Photo Center in 1960-1962 and 1964-1966 and then again for only 2 weeks in around 1983 I visited the Ontario many times. Saw the 70mm Roadshow of Sound Of Musicthere. I did not work there but I did work P.T. nights at the Sears offices in Silver Springs and I also was one of the projectionists at The NAS Anacostia base theatre.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Happy Birthday Radio City! on Mar 6, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Did Radio City ever have 70mm capabilities? I know they were the firstwith horizontal VistaVision.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part 19: Boston) on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm

To Howard Haas. When This is Cinerama in 70mm played here in Boston it played at the non Cinerama Beacon theatre. It was a medium size Flat Screen and lousy stereo. This is the theatre that the subway ran under, not the Boston Cinerama theatre as you mentioned. Saw a few other movies Little Big Man and Towering Inferno at the Beacon. Lousy projection and sound and what was really annoying was the subway noise every 10mins or less. The Boston Cinerama theatre was terrific. Saw 5 of the 3strips there. HTWWW was projected beautifully with great sound and I sat in the 1st row of the balcony. Saw WWOTBG in 3 strip at the San Diego Cinerama. Saw 2001 in 70mm, Cinerama in San Francisco and also at the Seattle Cinerama. What a great theatre. Saw Ice Station Zebra at the Providence Cinerama. A very nice old theatre remodeled and similar in design as the San Diego Cinerama. Both owned by Lockwood & Gordon theatres. Saw a couple of 3strips at the Warner in D.C. Also Greatest Story Ever Told in 70mm Cinerama at the Uptown in D.C. Projected lousy. Finally I saw a 70mm blowup of Doctor Zhivago at the Rotterdam, Holland Cinerama. Looked great. Had already seen it before at the Florida theatre in Pensacola in 35mm. It looked good but the 70mm print blew it out of the water.

dickneeds111 commented about Florida Theatre on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:32 am

If I remember right the Florida theatre was about 200' from the Rex and the Saenger being halfway down Palafox. All 3 theatres were on the left side of the st. walking from the Hotel heading to the Auditorium at the end.

dickneeds111 commented about Plimoth Cinema on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I did not know there was a theatre operating in Plymouth and I am less than 20 miles away in Scituate. We have our own twin cinema here and also the Hanover, Kingston & Hingham cinemas. The only problem with these cinemas is that you very rarely see any Indy or Foreign films there except at the Loring Hall in Hingham. It would be nice if you would put an add or column in The Mariner or Ledger newspapers so we would know what was playing. Not everyone has a computer.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Wells Five Star Cinema 7 on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:18 pm

This theatre should now be listed as CLOSED. It has been shuttered for awhile now.

dickneeds111 commented about Blue Mouse Theatre on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:54 pm

The 5th Ave did have 70mm and it was also a roadshow house. I saw Dr Dolittle(what a piece of junk)_and also the 70mm version of Gone With The Wind which was poorly transferred with side and top cut out.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about 11th Hour offer to purchase Boyd Theatre on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:35 pm

If you want to see what can be done with some old beat up Grand theatres, come to Boston and look at 3 examples. 1- The Citi bank Wang(formerly the Metropolitan/Music Hall 2- the Mayflower and #3 the RKO Keiths Memorial/Savoy now the Opera House. Come on Philly fans keep on fighting and get the Boyd purchased and restored. It can be done with a lot of money and patience.

dickneeds111 commented about Adams Theatre on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Growing up on Adam St next to the Cosgroves milk plant we only went to the Adams a few times because it was a long walk to the other end of the Neponset section. If my memory treats me right I believe the Adams was built and opened in the early 40’s. It was a four wall cement block theatre. Wide and medium deep. Big screen. Very clean and well kept. Not overly decorated but pleasant enough and not ornate like the Fields Corner or a dump like the Dot. Admission was 15cents for matinees and 25 cents nites. Had dish night like the Dot one night a week. My mother used to go. Dish nite at the Dot was Mondays so the Adams must have been on a different night. Was a 2nd run like the Fields Corner.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Simons IMAX Theatre at the New England Aquarium on Feb 8, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Sorry Ron but the Aquarium Imax was Boston,s 1st IMAX 3D theatre. The Omni theatre is as stated Omnimax which is different and it does not show (3D).

dickneeds111 commented about Blue Mouse Theatre on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I believe that “Mutiny On The Bounty” played it’s reserved seat engagement at the 5th Ave theatre in 1962. The replica of the Bounty came into the sound. I was on the ferry back to Bremerton when it passed us. What a beauty

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about *** Comments and Behavior On This Site *** on Dec 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Ross: As an avid viewer of this sight. Thank you. I am tired of rude people with bad language and non sensical replys. Dick S.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Landmark Kendall Square Cinema on Nov 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Sorry but the Coolidge Corner was the only Boston theatre to show “Master” in 70mm. They rought in 2 two 70mmDP70s for the 3 week oasion. The Kendall only ran it in 35 as did the other greater Boston theatres that booked it.

dickneeds111 commented about Mayfair Theatre on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I saw EXODUS at the Mayfair in 1960 in 70mm. It was one of the worst projected films I have ever seen at any major theatre. Everytime reels were switched you heard a sound like aclap of thunder. The reel changes were rough and you missed some of the dialogue on changeover. The theatre was dirty and in some dis repair. I vowed never to go back there again and I didn’t. I was a projectionist myself at the time at NAS Anacostia in D.C. and I noticed those mistakes.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part 19: Boston) on Feb 22, 2013 at 10:15 am

Boston must have been one of the only cities with 1 Cinerama theatre continuously. They ran Cinerama 3 strip and 70mm For 20yrs. Did any other major US city do this? The RKO Boston theatre was changed to Boston theatre after the advent of Cinerama. It was always The RKO way back to the 20’s.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Big city movie woes don't affect Portland's indie film scene on Aug 27, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Boston has plenty of Indie houses. Who says they don’t. We have the Brattle and the Landmatks in Cambridge. The Coolidge Corner in Brookline. The Dedham in Dedham. The Lowes Boston Common and the Regal Fenway also run some independents and art films. Also the Embassy in Waltham.The Somerville in Somerville. The Regent in Arlington runs indies occassionally between sing a lon gs and live shows. There are others.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Alamo Drafthouse's Ritz Theater installs 70mm equipment and announces 70mm festival on Aug 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm

There are 2 70mm equipped theatres here in the Boston area. Onne is the Coolidge corner theatre in Brookline and the Somerville in Somerville. I don’t know about screen size and curvature. The Coolidge occassionally rune 70 mm like Lawrence of Arabia. I don;t know the last time Somerville did.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Director supporting efforts to maximize number of 70mm showings of '"The Master" across the country on Aug 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

If it plays here in Boston I imagine it will have to be at the Cooldge Corner theatre in Brookline. Heres hoping it happens.

dickneeds111 commented about Century Drive-In on Aug 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Coate. I have just done some research and the twin drive in ine Cinn played Windjammer after a cinemiracle run downtown, The drive in ran it in Cinerama from July-Aug in 1960. I am still trying to find out more info on the Albany Drie in. I still can’t see how Cinerama was any good at any drive in without 7 track stereo.. The picture might be big and great but lousy mono sound.

dickneeds111 commented about Pen Theatre on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:10 am

This was a great theatre to watch and listen to movies. I was stationed in Pensacols in 1959, 1964-1968 and later in the 80’s. Some of the movies I saw there were the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, How to succeed in business, A funny thing happened on the way to the forum and Khartoum plu many others. Did this theatre have actual 70mm projection or was it just a big bright screen and great Stereo?