Comments from dickneeds111

dickneeds111 commented about Valley Circle Theater on Mar 26, 2015 at 1:03 pm

SORRY nEEB, yOU SAID THAT oLIVER WAS NOT IN 70MM. dO YOU MEAN AT THIS THEATRE OR ANYWHERE.Columbia made 70mm blowups and they played them in a lot of big city theatres like L.A., N.Y. SF, Chicago and others.

dickneeds111 commented about Charles Cinema on Mar 26, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Sorry to disagree with you Roger but when I saw Ryan’s daughter with my wife at the Charles in it’s first week in 1970 it was presented in it’s original format of Super Panavision 70 it was on Boston’s 2nd biggest screen next to the Music Hall and a wonderful sound system. Having been a projectionist my self I do believe I know when a screen is big or small and also what type of sound they use.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about REMEMBERING CINERAMA (Part 54: Omaha) on Mar 17, 2015 at 4:56 pm

To MPOL. If you saw HTWWW at the West Newton theatre you did not see it when it 1st came out. You saw the 35mm composite of all 3 strips. This was very annoying. HTWWW played at the Boston Cinerama in 3 strip Cinerama for 33 wks. The West Newton was not big enough for Cinerama. I was only there one time in 1950 to see the Documentary of Kon Tiki. Had relatives who lived down the street on Annapolis Rd which is off of Cherry St.

dickneeds111 commented about Lafayette Theatre on Mar 13, 2015 at 9:08 am

Hey Movieguy, Why don’t you take your movie advertising and put it in the local newspaper or ask people to go to the theatre website and see what is playing. Most theatres are playing the same flicks at the same time. We have a small twin cinema here and there ads are on the theatre’s outside Marquee or on line. Stop this repeat nonsense.

dickneeds111 commented about Mill Wharf Cinemas on Feb 19, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Back last year when Frozen played, my wife and I went to see it and were late because of my stupidity. I went on line and read Fri times and we were there on Tues. I asked the young man in charge what time the movie had started. He said 7PM. It was then 7:15. I had wanted to see the Mickey Mouse cartoon that preceded Frozen. We missed it and the 1st 10 mins of Frozen. We stayed and at the end the young man told us to stay and he went to the booth and played the cartoon and Frozen(10 mins) for us. This was so nice of him. I would like to thank him right here. That’s life in a small town ell liked twin Cinema.

dickneeds111 commented about Mill Wharf Cinemas on Feb 19, 2015 at 7:36 pm

dickneeds111 commented about Stuart Theatre on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:33 pm

An answer to old questions. Earthquake never played the Gary. It played at the Saxon. After that the next Sensurround movie was Battlestar Galactica. Earthquake played at Shoppers World in Framingham for about 3-4 weeks before it came to the Saxon. G>C> Cinema shoppers World was packed all the time for Earthquake. The 2 other Sensurround movies Rollercoaster and Midway played at the G.C. theatres at south shore plaza in Braintree.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about U.S. Naval Air Station Memphis Base Theater on Jan 26, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Having been stationed at NAS Northside from Jan -April in 1959 while attending Airman School which after leaving Memphis for Pensacola we had to repeat because the instructors at Pensacola didn’t like the idea that our instructors in Memphis(were TAR_reservists) and they thought that reservists were not good teachers. Actually we learned more in Memphis than Pensacola. My reason for writing this was to let you know that I saw many movies at this theatre. I only remember one which was Gunfight at OK Corral which I actually fell asleep in. This theatre was a typical multi use Nay theatre. The best looking theatre Navy theatre that I remember was at NAS Pensacola. Big well decorated and had a balcony. It looked like a downtown Pensacola theatre(the Saenger).

dickneeds111 commented about Gulfstream Drive-In on Dec 26, 2014 at 4:34 pm

E.M. Loews theatres were headquarted in Boston. The RaceTrack somebody mentioned is now home of Gillette Stadium, home of he Great New England Patriots and the New England Revolution.

dickneeds111 commented about MacArthur Theater on Oct 23, 2014 at 11:31 am

My favorite D.C. theatre or all around presentation was the Ontario. There Todd AO showing of Sound Of Music was fantastic. I also saw it at the Gary in Boston and was disappointed in it’s presentation there. Boston’s best presentation of 70mm was either the Charles or the Astor. Both big screens and great sound. The Saxon and Gary(both Sack/USA or Lowes theatres) were fair. The Charles was originally Walter Reade who took care of film presentation. When Sack took over it was excellent until they they put in a new smaller screen. The Charles reminded me very much of the Ontario in its conmstruction.

dickneeds111 commented about Diana Theatre on Oct 7, 2014 at 2:39 pm

MPD732. You are a jerk. If you put your pics on Flicker which is a public sight any one can use them unless you put a warning caption on them. Being a professional photographer myself I would feel good if someone published my pics and spread my work around. Why were you so harsh on your blog. In fact you were downright mean for no apparent reason. You are more than a jerk your are nutcase and an AH.

dickneeds111 commented about Mill Wharf Cinemas on Sep 29, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Please change your seat count to approx 200 cinema 1 and 75 in cinema 2.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part V) on Sep 5, 2014 at 9:34 am

I can’t understand why Windjammer played only 9 weeks. Here in Boston it played at the Cinerama for 33 wks on its 1st run and then when they brought it back later it played for another 23 wks. I only remember seeing the Greatest Story Ever Told at the Uptown. Poor projection for such an outstanding theatre. The pic was real dark the whole movie including daylight scenes. The night scenes with John Wayne were almost unwatchable. The presentation of Cinerama films both 3 strip and 70mm were much better presented at the Warner, Boston Cinerama, Providence cinerama, Seattle Cinerama, the Golde gate cinerama in San Fran and the Cinerama in Rotterdam, Holland.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about South Shore Plaza Twin Drive-In on Jul 25, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Other drive-ins to close in the Boston area besides the ones listed above were in these areas. West Roxbury, Ouintree(Quincy/Braintree line,the Meadow Glen, Abington and the Weymouth Twin. There may be others.

dickneeds111 commented about Roxy Theatre on Jul 24, 2014 at 12:06 pm

To Thetruth. Ouit crying. This digital thing is happening all over the country. All these small town theatres re having fund raisers so they can stay open. The movie dist. are screwing the theatres. It cost approx $50-$75 thousand to go digital for each screen. Only the big chains can afford this. Even some of them with up to 10-more screens are closing. Be thankful that your small theatre has converted and is able to stay open. My small town theatre has 2 screens and a small population. The owner has another 2 screener and a five screener. He has been able to convert all. It is the movie makers and Dists that caused this.

dickneeds111 commented about Palace Theatre on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:55 am

By saying it is the oldest Orpheum Theatre in the country I question that because I don’t understand. The Orpheum theatre in Boston was built in 1852 making it older. It became the Loews Orpheum very early and it stayed that way until the 70’s when it ceased being a movie theatre and became a music hall and became the Aquarius for a few years and then returned to being the Orpheum. It is still the Orpheum and is still a Music Hall theatre and does show a music film occassionally.

dickneeds111 commented about Cinerama Theater on Jul 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm

To correct myself I would like to say that I was at the Cinerama in 1964. This was my 2nd tour in San Diego.

dickneeds111 commented about Warner Theatre on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:40 pm

To Howard Bass: When I wrote this in 2011 they were still showing films with the classic film festival that summer. I had just taken my wife and daughter to see a very poor 35mm copy of Sound Of Music hosted by Frank Averuch(Bozo the Clown). Shortly After I wrote this they removed equipment and moved the film festival to the Coolidge Corner theatre for 1 season. We no longer have this movie festival at any area theatre. What a shame. The Coolidge can still show 70mm. They had a 3 week run of the Master awhile back. They install 70mm projection occassionally.

dickneeds111 commented about Ritz Theatre on Jun 27, 2014 at 11:33 am

Didn’t this theatre also show Deep Throat with Linda Lovelace?

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:38 pm

This theatre should not close because the makers of Digital Projectors now lease them to theatres.

dickneeds111 commented about Symphony Cinema on Jun 15, 2014 at 2:45 pm

After all these years I finally got to see I Am Curious Yellow complete a few months ago on of all places Turner Classic Movies. What a waste of time.

dickneeds111 commented about Charles Cinema on Jun 9, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Roger. Sorry to bust your bubble. But when the Charles first opened up by The Reade group it had the 2nd largest screen in Boston(not counting the Cinerama) next to the Music Hall(nee Metropolitan/Wang. The Astor was next. The Charles was equipped with 70mm from day one. Cinema 2&3 were added later by Sack/USA or Lowes. When Lowes took over they downsized the screen. Star Wars played in 70mm late in its engagement. I saw many movies there. Saw Ryan’s Daughter there on the big screen in 70mm and it was impressive.That was in 1970. Did not see Star Wars there because I was stationed elsewhere.

dickneeds111 commented about Beacon Hill Theatre on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Have to revise my comment. I went to the Beacon Hill one other time to see Little Big Man. Very noisy then with the Subway running underneath.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Cinerama Films at the Gaslamp Theatre on Apr 22, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I have purchased all 5 Smilebox releases and have enjoyed them on my 50" TV. They are in 5.1 Dolbly transferred from the 7 channel original masters. I know it is not real Cinerama by any means but if you have a large screen TV and Blue Ray(only way they are available on DVD)just turn down the light and enjoy. Here on the East Coast there are no Cinerama theatres left. On the West Coast you have 2. Seattle and La. I am going to see the owner of my local theatreand see if he cah get permission to run HTWWR, This is Cinerama and possibly Windjammer. Its only a 2 cinema local complex with new digital proj and new sound. Cinema 1 has about a 40' wide screen so they will look retty good.

dickneeds111 commented about Ken Cinema to close? on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Mark Cuban is cheap cheap cheap. I'n waiting for him to close down one of the 2 Landmark cinemas here in the Boston area even though they seem to do well. The one in Cambridge and the one in Waltham.