Comments from dickneeds111

dickneeds111 commented about MacArthur Theater on Oct 23, 2014 at 7:31 pm

My favorite D.C. theatre or all around presentation was the Ontario. There Todd AO showing of Sound Of Music was fantastic. I also saw it at the Gary in Boston and was disappointed in it’s presentation there. Boston’s best presentation of 70mm was either the Charles or the Astor. Both big screens and great sound. The Saxon and Gary(both Sack/USA or Lowes theatres) were fair. The Charles was originally Walter Reade who took care of film presentation. When Sack took over it was excellent until they they put in a new smaller screen. The Charles reminded me very much of the Ontario in its conmstruction.

dickneeds111 commented about Diana Theatre on Oct 7, 2014 at 10:39 pm

MPD732. You are a jerk. If you put your pics on Flicker which is a public sight any one can use them unless you put a warning caption on them. Being a professional photographer myself I would feel good if someone published my pics and spread my work around. Why were you so harsh on your blog. In fact you were downright mean for no apparent reason. You are more than a jerk your are nutcase and an AH.

dickneeds111 commented about Mill Wharf Cinemas on Sep 30, 2014 at 12:55 am

Please change your seat count to approx 200 cinema 1 and 75 in cinema 2.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part V) on Sep 5, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I can’t understand why Windjammer played only 9 weeks. Here in Boston it played at the Cinerama for 33 wks on its 1st run and then when they brought it back later it played for another 23 wks. I only remember seeing the Greatest Story Ever Told at the Uptown. Poor projection for such an outstanding theatre. The pic was real dark the whole movie including daylight scenes. The night scenes with John Wayne were almost unwatchable. The presentation of Cinerama films both 3 strip and 70mm were much better presented at the Warner, Boston Cinerama, Providence cinerama, Seattle Cinerama, the Golde gate cinerama in San Fran and the Cinerama in Rotterdam, Holland.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about South Shore Plaza Twin Drive-In on Jul 26, 2014 at 2:52 am

Other drive-ins to close in the Boston area besides the ones listed above were in these areas. West Roxbury, Ouintree(Quincy/Braintree line,the Meadow Glen, Abington and the Weymouth Twin. There may be others.

dickneeds111 commented about Roxy Theatre on Jul 24, 2014 at 8:06 pm

To Thetruth. Ouit crying. This digital thing is happening all over the country. All these small town theatres re having fund raisers so they can stay open. The movie dist. are screwing the theatres. It cost approx $50-$75 thousand to go digital for each screen. Only the big chains can afford this. Even some of them with up to 10-more screens are closing. Be thankful that your small theatre has converted and is able to stay open. My small town theatre has 2 screens and a small population. The owner has another 2 screener and a five screener. He has been able to convert all. It is the movie makers and Dists that caused this.

dickneeds111 commented about Palace Theatre on Jul 24, 2014 at 7:55 pm

By saying it is the oldest Orpheum Theatre in the country I question that because I don’t understand. The Orpheum theatre in Boston was built in 1852 making it older. It became the Loews Orpheum very early and it stayed that way until the 70’s when it ceased being a movie theatre and became a music hall and became the Aquarius for a few years and then returned to being the Orpheum. It is still the Orpheum and is still a Music Hall theatre and does show a music film occassionally.

dickneeds111 commented about Cinerama Theater on Jul 21, 2014 at 11:07 pm

To correct myself I would like to say that I was at the Cinerama in 1964. This was my 2nd tour in San Diego.

dickneeds111 commented about Warner Theatre on Jun 27, 2014 at 10:40 pm

To Howard Bass: When I wrote this in 2011 they were still showing films with the classic film festival that summer. I had just taken my wife and daughter to see a very poor 35mm copy of Sound Of Music hosted by Frank Averuch(Bozo the Clown). Shortly After I wrote this they removed equipment and moved the film festival to the Coolidge Corner theatre for 1 season. We no longer have this movie festival at any area theatre. What a shame. The Coolidge can still show 70mm. They had a 3 week run of the Master awhile back. They install 70mm projection occassionally.

dickneeds111 commented about Ritz Theatre on Jun 27, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Didn’t this theatre also show Deep Throat with Linda Lovelace?

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:38 pm

This theatre should not close because the makers of Digital Projectors now lease them to theatres.

dickneeds111 commented about Symphony Cinema on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:45 pm

After all these years I finally got to see I Am Curious Yellow complete a few months ago on of all places Turner Classic Movies. What a waste of time.

dickneeds111 commented about Charles Cinema on Jun 10, 2014 at 5:29 am

Roger. Sorry to bust your bubble. But when the Charles first opened up by The Reade group it had the 2nd largest screen in Boston(not counting the Cinerama) next to the Music Hall(nee Metropolitan/Wang. The Astor was next. The Charles was equipped with 70mm from day one. Cinema 2&3 were added later by Sack/USA or Lowes. When Lowes took over they downsized the screen. Star Wars played in 70mm late in its engagement. I saw many movies there. Saw Ryan’s Daughter there on the big screen in 70mm and it was impressive.That was in 1970. Did not see Star Wars there because I was stationed elsewhere.

dickneeds111 commented about Beacon Hill Theatre on Jun 10, 2014 at 4:47 am

Have to revise my comment. I went to the Beacon Hill one other time to see Little Big Man. Very noisy then with the Subway running underneath.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Cinerama Films at the Gaslamp Theatre on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:19 am

I have purchased all 5 Smilebox releases and have enjoyed them on my 50" TV. They are in 5.1 Dolbly transferred from the 7 channel original masters. I know it is not real Cinerama by any means but if you have a large screen TV and Blue Ray(only way they are available on DVD)just turn down the light and enjoy. Here on the East Coast there are no Cinerama theatres left. On the West Coast you have 2. Seattle and La. I am going to see the owner of my local theatreand see if he cah get permission to run HTWWR, This is Cinerama and possibly Windjammer. Its only a 2 cinema local complex with new digital proj and new sound. Cinema 1 has about a 40' wide screen so they will look retty good.

dickneeds111 commented about Ken Cinema to close? on Apr 22, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Mark Cuban is cheap cheap cheap. I'n waiting for him to close down one of the 2 Landmark cinemas here in the Boston area even though they seem to do well. The one in Cambridge and the one in Waltham.

dickneeds111 commented about Astor Theatre on Mar 9, 2014 at 12:27 am

I,m back with more info. Raintree County from what I have read was filmed in Camera 65(same as Ben Hur) but was never shown in 70mm on its 1st release anywhere. MGM said they could not get any 70mm theatres in the country because they were all booked solid at that time. They then needed to get it out so they sent it out in a 35mm Cinemascope roadshow version. It was not seen in 70mm until the 80s-90-s in 70mm in a New York film festival.

dickneeds111 commented about Astor Theatre on Mar 9, 2014 at 12:27 am

dickneeds111 commented about Astor Theatre on Mar 9, 2014 at 12:21 am

After reading some of the above comments I must put in my 2 cents. Porgy & Bess opened at the Astor in 70mm Todd AO in 1959(I saw it there) and it was followed by Spartacus in Super Technirama 70mm. Both were the same aspect ratio of 2.21:1(70mm). As far as Oklahoma it ran at the Saxon in 35mm cinemascope roadshow for most of its engagement until Todd AO was put in and then in Todd AO for the rest of its engagement. Oklahoma was shot both in Cinemascope and Todd AO at the same time. There are many differences in both versions. And to ever said they saw Ryan’s Daughter in 70mm at the Astor may have seen I re-issue because its original run was at the Charles.

dickneeds111 commented about Ontario Theater on Mar 7, 2014 at 12:05 am

While in the Navy and also stationed at the Naval Photo Center in 1960-1962 and 1964-1966 and then again for only 2 weeks in around 1983 I visited the Ontario many times. Saw the 70mm Roadshow of Sound Of Musicthere. I did not work there but I did work P.T. nights at the Sears offices in Silver Springs and I also was one of the projectionists at The NAS Anacostia base theatre.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Happy Birthday Radio City! on Mar 6, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Did Radio City ever have 70mm capabilities? I know they were the firstwith horizontal VistaVision.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part 19: Boston) on Mar 6, 2014 at 10:58 pm

To Howard Haas. When This is Cinerama in 70mm played here in Boston it played at the non Cinerama Beacon theatre. It was a medium size Flat Screen and lousy stereo. This is the theatre that the subway ran under, not the Boston Cinerama theatre as you mentioned. Saw a few other movies Little Big Man and Towering Inferno at the Beacon. Lousy projection and sound and what was really annoying was the subway noise every 10mins or less. The Boston Cinerama theatre was terrific. Saw 5 of the 3strips there. HTWWW was projected beautifully with great sound and I sat in the 1st row of the balcony. Saw WWOTBG in 3 strip at the San Diego Cinerama. Saw 2001 in 70mm, Cinerama in San Francisco and also at the Seattle Cinerama. What a great theatre. Saw Ice Station Zebra at the Providence Cinerama. A very nice old theatre remodeled and similar in design as the San Diego Cinerama. Both owned by Lockwood & Gordon theatres. Saw a couple of 3strips at the Warner in D.C. Also Greatest Story Ever Told in 70mm Cinerama at the Uptown in D.C. Projected lousy. Finally I saw a 70mm blowup of Doctor Zhivago at the Rotterdam, Holland Cinerama. Looked great. Had already seen it before at the Florida theatre in Pensacola in 35mm. It looked good but the 70mm print blew it out of the water.

dickneeds111 commented about Florida Theatre on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:32 pm

If I remember right the Florida theatre was about 200' from the Rex and the Saenger being halfway down Palafox. All 3 theatres were on the left side of the st. walking from the Hotel heading to the Auditorium at the end.

dickneeds111 commented about Plimoth Cinema on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I did not know there was a theatre operating in Plymouth and I am less than 20 miles away in Scituate. We have our own twin cinema here and also the Hanover, Kingston & Hingham cinemas. The only problem with these cinemas is that you very rarely see any Indy or Foreign films there except at the Loring Hall in Hingham. It would be nice if you would put an add or column in The Mariner or Ledger newspapers so we would know what was playing. Not everyone has a computer.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 commented about Wells Five Star Cinema 7 on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:18 pm

This theatre should now be listed as CLOSED. It has been shuttered for awhile now.