Comments from DonaldKirk

DonaldKirk commented about Hippodrome Theatre on Aug 20, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Kirk Entertainment / Don L. Kirk Productions is in talks with the City of Bridgeport to acquire and restore the Palace, Majestic theatres and Savoy Hotel; as the P.T. Barnum Event Center. Volunteers will be needed for much of the restoration work please contact Don Kirk

DonaldKirk commented about Loew's Majestic Theatre on Aug 13, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I just put a facebook page online to cover our efforts to acquire, restore and reopen the Majestic, Palace Theatres and the Savoy Hotel. While each will maintain their name, if we get them, the entire complex will be named The P.T. Barnum Event Center.

DonaldKirk commented about Palace Theater on Aug 12, 2015 at 1:56 am

I was just at the Waterbury site and it says 2700 seats. The Bridgeport Palace is 3600 and history records show it was and still is the largest theatre built in CT. BTW… I am a concert & event producer and I have started talks with the City of Bridgeport to acquire the city’s Palace, Majestic (2200 seats) theatres and the 109 room Savoy Hotel; to restore and operate, bringing in name acts and shows. If anyone knows people in Bridgeport that are willing to help with fundraising events (concerts, etc. or grant-writing), please send them my way Don Kirk

Note: Yes both theatres and the hotel are in “BAD” shape and will take extensive work to get restored; although they can be opened before all restoration is done.

DonaldKirk commented about Loew's Palace Theatre on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:34 pm

The original plan, is to get the wiring and “must be done prior to occupancy” things done, so some concerts can be held in one of the theatres (hopefully the Palace; as it seats 1242 more people). That will give us 1) a non-used theatre to work on 2) allow people to see how much work needs to be done; and why $’s, donated items and volunteer help is desperately needed. We also will work to get the storefronts useable, so that we can open 1) a shelf-pull, damaged and closeout store in one or two of the storefronts. 2) a store that sells donated items. Having these two store types open will help raise funds towards the project. They also will draw attention to the fact we are restoring the theatres and hotel. This will help get items donated, additional volunteers and cash donations. Documenting everything and making still pictures, DVD’s and CD’s to sell as fundraisers also will be done. Right now, I need a list of people that are interested in helping; from getting the city to approve letting us do the project, to fundraising, grant-writing, volunteer work in restoration. Thank You! Don Kirk

DonaldKirk commented about Loew's Majestic Theatre on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:33 pm

DonaldKirk commented about Loew's Palace Theatre on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:55 pm

The city tells me that both theatres are in pretty “bad” condition (mortar in outer brick walls needs attention. A lot of the plaster is falling down. “ALL” the wiring needs replaced. Because the theatres and hotel are registered as historical landmarks (both outside and inside), a lot of different agencies need to approve any plans for restoration. I fully intend to do what I can to win approval from the city to undertake the restoration; but….. Much of the work will need to be volunteered. A large part of the supplies needed will have to be donated. I will work with locals to form a “Friends” nonprofit that will help with much of that. I really need you to volunteer and get others to do the same, just t get city approval. Don

DonaldKirk commented about Mack Theater on Aug 1, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Does the Mack have a stage? I have restored theatres in the past for combination live-stage and film (and film festivals). I have seen the (outside) Mack many times. When in McMinville, I used to get coffee and rolls at the coffee house that was, or still is on the corner; across the street (U.S. Bank on another corner). If it has a stage and someone has the owners contact information, please forward it to me. Don

DonaldKirk commented about Loew's Majestic Theatre on Jul 29, 2015 at 8:52 pm

On Monday July 27, 2015, I entered what I’m told will be lengthily talks with the City of Bridgeport to either lease or purchase the Palace, Majestic and Savoy Hotel for restoration and operation. I’ve done this before; and I’m a concert promoter/producer of bot big name entertainers and world’s best tribute artists. I will be in Bridgeport mid-October to tour the facilities and would like to meet anyone interested in helping (some paid and some volunteers) restore these grand pieces of Bridgeport history. If interested, please contact me at I live in Far Northern CA; but would move to Bridgeport, if the city and I can come to an agreement. There will also be need of people to help with fundraisers (some will be concerts), festivals and seeking grants. We also will be asking local businesses to donate a substantial amount of the supplies. If enough people reply, I will schedule a meeting someplace, for everyone to attend, while I’m there in October. Again (Don)

DonaldKirk commented about Loew's Palace Theatre on Jul 29, 2015 at 8:48 pm

DonaldKirk commented about Loew's Majestic Theatre on Jul 27, 2015 at 9:44 am

I have contacted the city; and they have contacted me about both the Loew’s Majestic and Palice Theatres. I have done theatre restorations in the past; and I also promote & produce big name and top tribute artist entertainers on concert tours.

I am interested in heading up efforts to restore and reopen these two grand theatres, for both live entertainment and film, but need to know that there is enough interest from local residents, to help make that happen. If you are interested, please contact me. Don Thanks.

DonaldKirk commented about State Theater on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I have owned and managed former movie theatre’s, as live-stage & film venues. I am a concert producer, working with both name recording acts and world’s top tribute artists. I also produce major fundraisers and festivals. Unfortunately, the current owners (a Mr. Benny and his girlfriend/wife? partner won’t talk to anyone; including city officials. I would like the city to put the theatre into redevelopment plans and emenient domain the theatre and hotel. Yes, adding restaurant and exhibition/meeting space on the hotel’s ground floor would be expected; with upstairs, offices (the theatre offices might need to be used for ADA access, including an elevator, 2nd snack bar, restrooms, etc). The 3rd – 5th floors could become low-income/senior housing, additional offices for nonprofit theatre groups, etc. I also have a simular situation in CT; where another 1700+ seat theatre needs restoring. My new email is ; if anyone wants to help try to get the owners to talk about selling. I’m sure with new owners, working to fix the structure’s problems, the city would drop or at least reduce, or postpone the fines levied on the building.

DonaldKirk commented about Fox Anaheim Theatre on Nov 27, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Been to the Fox many times and hated to see it demolished. Saw Wolfman Jack there (I knew him in later years). My last memory of the place was during demolition, the back wall and roof was down, seats were still in place and the stage curtains were gone. I’m producing concerts now and will in 2015 hold a fundraiser concert for the restoration of the Fullerton Fox.

DonaldKirk commented about California Theatre on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Brian: If you are still working on the theatre, I was the media manager in 2005, during the brief live-stage reopening. I need to talk with you! Don Kirk

DonaldKirk commented about Capitol Theatre on Jul 21, 2013 at 12:48 pm

If anyone in the area is interested in raising money to acquire the Capitol, a lot of the restoration costs could be eliminated using volunteers for much of the work; and donated materials. Just buying and replacing the seats alone will cost $1.75 million. This is about ½ the cost Mr. Kwan thinks the total restoration can be done for. I produce concerts and festivals; and with local volunteer help, hold fundraisers that will raise big $’s (I have the best Jimi Hendrix or John Fogerty impersonators; and some 1960’s recording groups working for me). They often will do a show for the large tax write-off they get. If interested, get your friends involved and then contact my production company.

DonaldKirk commented about Varsity Theater on Jul 21, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Before the renovation to being a multi-plex, did the Varsity have a stage, or just a screen at the front; and if a stage, is it still there? I acquire and restore old theatres to original looks and also hold live stage events at them. you can contact me at my business email Don

DonaldKirk commented about Rodgers Theater on Apr 13, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I’m reading several sites on the Rodgers. In 1990, I both lived in Corning and had a small department store right across the street from the Rodgers. At that time it was closed, but the city and someone had plans to reopen the theatre (I thought as a live stage theatre; and not a duplex). I moved away before it was reopened and not seen it since. I hope that what I just read is not true “closed”.

DonaldKirk commented about Capitol Theatre on Apr 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I was recently contacted by one of the current owners, asking me to purchase the Capitol. I told him that for it’s condition he was asking way too much. He then asked for a counter-offer; which after discussing it with several people in the know of it’s condition, I told him $0.00. I have a number of fairly recent pictures of it’s interior; plus knowing that it has a small stage, which cannot host Broadway type shows, I felt it is too far gone. Some of us estimated $12 – $15 million restoration cost. Mr. Kwan could not see that much; but he was fuguring costs to make it useable as something else (4 walls); and he estimated a fraction of what it’d cost to make it back into a 1730 seat live-stage “Grand” theatre.

Sorry folks, but it is highly unlikely that the Capitol will ever be restored as a grand theatre.

DonaldKirk commented about State Theater on Dec 14, 2012 at 12:28 pm

NO…. But needing the amount of restoration it needs, it needs to become a live stage venue again; with big name entertainers, special films, including a yearly film festival. I truly expect that after restoration costs, if someone wanted to show movies, they could build a new movie theater far cheaper. Being divided up into several small movie auditoriums, the entire theatre loses it’s beauty and glory, that is the reason for someone restoring an old theatre. Knocking out the added walls (it’s divided into several theaters right now), will bring back the majestic interior that people want to see in such a restoration; and dividing it into small theatres looses that.

DonaldKirk commented about State Theater on Dec 14, 2012 at 9:12 am

I might add, that there’s $ million(s) of repairs and updating that “MUST” be done before the place could reopen. There was a vandal started fire, that from what I understand will cost well over $500,000. alone to repair the damage. Wiring is outdated, Audio and video equipment is old-school; and need replacing, With many years of non-use, the curtains may need replacing; as well, dampness may have caused seats to mill-due or rot. A lot must be done; and unless you’re willing to, or desire to bring in high dollar acts, requiring $$$$$ to book and advertise, the cost of refurbishing it into a movie theatre is not worth the money. After purchase, you’ll need several $ millions just to refurbish and book a number of shows, advertise them, etc.

DonaldKirk commented about State Theater on Dec 14, 2012 at 9:05 am

I have the contact information for the owners; and have for 2 years been trying to get them to talk with me about selling or leasing it to me. The owners and the city are in legal battles at the moment; and even if I (or anyone) purchased the place, the legal matters with the city will need to be resolved (which I think, just getting ownership of the theatre, would accomplish). Unfortunately Mr. Benny and his Ms won’t talk with me, the city OR ANYONE. I have spoke with the city, the owners of the former tire shop building next door and both would like for Mr. Benny to quit playing games and to sell it. Even with cash offered; and the ability to rid himself of the legal battle, he so far, has not been willing to talk with anyone.

DonaldKirk commented about Holly Theatre on Nov 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I might add, that I’ve met Ron Kramer; and did not understand SOU’s position on his holding the two positions; when it was required of him. He and I both spoke at the Press Conference held at the Holly, on the day the meeting was held next door about Ron.

DonaldKirk commented about Holly Theatre on Nov 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

JPR is looking for a manager of the Holly’s Restoration and operations. I have every qualification listed, “except” a BA degree. I’ve owned theatres, restored and operated them as live stage venues; but that don’t count, as I don’t have the degree. I’m sure they will hire a college graduate that has no past restoration & operation experience (maybe one area of experience, but not both). They probably will also bring in someone from out of town; even though I live in Medford; and go past the Holly several times every week; and have working relations with the same contractor that JPR used to redo the front of the Holly. I turned in a resume, but have heard nothing.

DonaldKirk commented about State Theater on Oct 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I recently moved back to Oregon FROM CALIFORNIA; and I’ve opened 2 theatres in CA, that I was told that had city issues; and I’ve also ran for office in both Anaheim (CA) and Redding (CA); and have been involved in CA politics since 1971. People that knows how the CA political process works can accomplish things other’s can’t. Now in NW Oregon, I don’t know their politics; and 4 years ago I lost a fight. EVERY state/county/city/block has different rules; and you have to know how to deal with them. I’m learning here in Medford real quickly how the process works; and I’ve already made friends with the Mayor. He’s the only one so far that told me the truth. The Associate City Mgr. is close behind in truth. So far, Marysville officials seem willing to work with someone, if they acquire the State or Hotel.

DonaldKirk commented about State Theater on Oct 20, 2012 at 3:07 am

Unfortunantly too many large theatres of this kind end up in scrupulous hands; and end up being either demolished, or turned into something else. About the same situation as with the state, is happening to the Capitol Theatre in New London, CT. That one I have tried to buy, but, another restored (smaller) theatre jumped in and acted like they wanted to buy it for more money, until I was out of the picture, then they backed out of the deal. To save the state (and the Marysville Hotel), it will take a number of supporters, that 1) will help raise the funds needed to restore it 2) help with the labor, restoring it. Until subh time as the current owner will even reply to someone who wants to purchase it, the State will just fall further and further into decay. I believe that if someone can acquire the State and seriously work to restore it, the city will drop the fines and repainting charges against the theatre. The owner of the former tire store on the corner is willing to allow use of his property for fundraisers; and I believe that the parking situation can be overcome. Medford, Oregon, has in it’s downtown historic district, allowed for normal parking requirements to be bypassed. If Marysville seriously wants the theatre and hotel restored and open, they will work with owners on that issue. These two venues will help Marysville for years to come, if the city allows them to reopen without the 500+ parking spaces requirement.

DonaldKirk commented about State Theater on Aug 12, 2012 at 8:54 pm

OOPS… Sorry for the Typos above.