Comments from DonSolosan

DonSolosan commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 17, 2015 at 6:42 am

The problem I have with the Dome is legroom. There’s isn’t enough for me. I do go the Village and the Vista on occasion.

DonSolosan commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 17, 2015 at 12:48 am

Black box theaters? Only in a pinch…

DonSolosan commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 16, 2015 at 7:05 pm

For a while, I kept hearing reports on how 2D screenings were giving serious competition to the 3D ones — but now no one seems to be tracking that. I was hoping 3D would die off, or that what Cliffs said would happen: stagger shows for those of us who don’t like 3D. No luck. It’s too bad because the Chinese is showing movies that I’d like to see, and I’d like to support them. Guess I’ll have to take my business elsewhere…

DonSolosan commented about NuWilshire Theatre on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:08 am

On Friday, a crew was installing new neon.

DonSolosan commented about NuWilshire Theatre on Apr 22, 2015 at 7:03 am

Performance Bike has opened shop. One thing that happened in the past few months that I hadn’t noticed before is that they cleaned up the marquee and repainted it green and white. The neon tubing has been removed, however.

DonSolosan commented about NuWilshire Theatre on Jan 5, 2015 at 6:18 am

Went past this theater a couple of weeks ago (I no longer live in the neighborhood) and saw something in the windows about a bike store moving in…

DonSolosan commented about AMC Criterion 6 on Jan 5, 2015 at 6:16 am

I walked by the other day and the portion of the building that held the theaters has been stripped down to the beams.

DonSolosan commented about Globe Theatre on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:16 am

Here’s a video of the ceremony to relight the restored marquee:

DonSolosan commented about Wiltern Theater on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:12 am

Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation will be touring the Wiltern on August 17th. Take a Peek:

DonSolosan commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug 7, 2014 at 12:35 am

@LoveCinema — the six screens that were added are in a building next door to the Chinese. They didn’t impact the seating in the Chinese at all.

DonSolosan commented about Monroe Theatre on May 26, 2014 at 7:09 am

I was just looking at the 1985 photo. The building has the date at the top — 1912. I think someone saw a part of that number and guessed it was the street address…

DonSolosan commented about Monroe Theatre on May 26, 2014 at 7:06 am

I agree, Joe. The Monroe was across the street (east side of Duval) and down a bit from the Key West Picture Show, which was at 620 Duval.

DonSolosan commented about Yale Theater on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:17 am

Now a vitamin shop.

DonSolosan commented about Mayfair Theatre on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:16 am

There’s just a fence around the front of the building now. No retail yet; don’t know if the residential portion is available for rent…

DonSolosan commented about AMC Criterion 6 on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:13 am

Sadly, the blade and marquee have been removed…

DonSolosan commented about El Capitan Theatre on Jan 20, 2014 at 6:03 am

@GeorgeC, that “big question” should include “do we preserve the historic elements of these buildings, because we don’t know what the future holds”? The El Cap is a good example — they’re using the stage and proscenium to great effect…

DonSolosan commented about Vision Theatre on Nov 28, 2013 at 2:26 am

Recently, the Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation toured the Vision/Leimert theatre following the successful completion of stage 1 of its restoration. If you missed it, you can get an Insiders Peek here:

DonSolosan
DonSolosan commented about Leimert Park (Vision) Theatre on Nov 28, 2013 at 2:12 am

Take a look inside the Vision Theatre in the Leimert Park neighborhood of Los Angeles following stage 1 of its restoration, and get a preview of stages 2 and 3.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan commented about The Orpheum Theater - Los Angeles on Oct 24, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Ahh, the golden voice of Steve Markham!

DonSolosan
DonSolosan commented about Santa Monica Place plans for new movie theater on Oct 19, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I recently heard that the new mall is not doing too well — I wonder which store or stores will close to provide the space for this.

Also, not surprised to hear that the Criterion 6’s closing didn’t result in an uptick at the other theatres on the Promenade… in my opinion, they were the best screens down there.

DonSolosan commented about "Jazz Singer" Curtain on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:36 am

This is my third and final video about vintage theatre curtains. Warner Bros. corporate archivist Leith Adams shows the lucky audience at a Last Remaining Seats show a piece of movie history.

DonSolosan commented about Azteca Theatre on Aug 28, 2013 at 5:44 pm

MagicLantern, you must have been looking at an old photo. The street view now is dated 2011, and the name is gone.

DonSolosan commented about Vision Theatre on Aug 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Art1956, because Vision is the most recent name of the theatre. Leimert is listed as a previous name.

DonSolosan commented about Belasco Theatre on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:36 am

LawMann, I think it’s possible, but unlikely. The seats have been removed and the floor leveled to make it into a nightclub/live performance venue. Not only on the main floor, but also in the balcony. True, LRS screened a movie at the Wiltern and had to bring in folding chairs for the main floor, but the large balcony was intact. With limited seating in the balcony, I don’t know what size audience the Belasco could handle—and that’s a key factor in picking venues for LRS.

Something you might consider: join the LRS committee and make a pitch for using the Belasco. They will consider it. I pushed for screening “King Kong” at the Shrine where the Kong on display scenes were filmed. Unfortunately, the financial details didn’t make sense, and it was shown at the Los Angeles instead. Maybe you’ll have better luck than I!

DonSolosan commented about Mayfair Theatre on Jun 13, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I went by the other day. The construction barriers are still up. There’s a marquee and blade sign (no name) on the front of the building now, but I’m not sure where they came from. Maybe they found the blade sign somewhere in the building; it wasn’t hanging up before this conversion. Also, the marquee is different (original 2-sided, now 3-sided), and the “Box Office” and “Alumni Bar” signs that were on either side have not returned.