Comments from edblank

edblank commented about Metropolitan Theater on Sep 23, 2014 at 8:14 am

The current Starbucks building was indeed the neighborhood’s other moviehouse. It was called the Plaza, by far the nicer of the two side-by-side theaters in Pittsburgh’s Bloomfield neighborhood. It survived decades longer than the Metropolitan. See separate Cinema Treasures file on the Plaza.

edblank commented about Strand Theatre on Nov 22, 2013 at 8:38 am

The Etna Theater in Etna was another locally in which you entered the theater from behind the screen. Was never in that one but was in the Strand many times. One marked disadvantage: Anyone entering or leaving the theater during a movie or anyone going to and from the concession stand (behind the screen) tended to pull one’s focus from the screen. There are auditoriums of Manhattan multiplexes like this, also.

edblank commented about State Theatre on Oct 9, 2013 at 2:52 pm

This is a longshot, but … As a child in 1952 I visited an adult sibling in Youngstown and saw movies with her that were playing concurrently that weekend. Can anyone tell me which Downtown Youngstown theater played “Where’s Charley?” and which played “Don’t Bother to Knock” (those theaters were practically side by side) and which played the reissued double bill of “Dodge City” and “Virginia City”? That theater was less impressive than the other two and was directly across the street from “Where’s Charley?” as I recall. Many thanks for any help.

edblank commented about Liberty Theater on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:11 am

That’s a different Liberty Theater, Charmaine. Yours was located in the beighborhood of East Liberty. This site is for the Liberty still operating in Downtown Pittsburgh, a site formerly known as the Art Cinema.

edblank commented about Tri-State Drive-In on Dec 25, 2012 at 7:21 am

Up until perhaps the 1970s, there was an indoor theater called the Mary Ann, which I believe was in McDonald PA. There seems to be no Cinema Treasures entry for it. Can anyone help here? I’m asking on the Tri-State Drive-In forum because I think the Mary Ann and the Tri-State were rural neighbors. Thank you.

edblank commented about Palace Theatre on Nov 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

At the risk of going too far afield from the subject of Manhattan’s Palace Theatre, the film of “The Diary of Anne Frank” opened in Pittsburgh in May 1959 at the Nixon, the city’s main legit national touring company theater and one of two Downtown theaters (the Warner being the other) that shared the roadshow (reserved seat)films.

It was the Nixon, for example, that had the roadshow film engagements of “Guys and Dolls,” “South Pacific,” “West Side Story” and “The Sound of Music,” for example.

The “Anne Frank” movie was booked to stretch from May through the summer until the 1959-60 legit season began in the fall.

“Anne Frank” drew so poorly, though (less than $5,000 in its second, third and fourth weeks) that it closed after four days of its fifth week.

My guess as to what worked against the film version is that – whether as a higher-priced roadshow engagement or not – it “sensed” to moviegoers like a long slog in a single, confined set.

edblank commented about Liberty Theatre on Oct 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

This Liberty Theater was, indeed, near the beginning of Frankstown Avenue in Pittsburgh’s once-thriving East Liberty neighborhood.

edblank commented about Loews State Theatre 4 on Sep 5, 2012 at 11:41 am

I, too, found it interesting that there was almost never anyone in that subterranean quad despite a fair amount of traffic in the music store and the video store beneath that.

edblank commented about Rivoli Theatre on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I recall an even earlier ad in Variety in which the “Cleopatra” cast consisted of Joan Collins, Stephen Boyd and Peter Finch. I’d forgotten that Collins was the first to drop out. Or perhaps, as the budget escalated, Fox opted to replace her by (famously) agreeing to pay Elizabeth Taylor the $1 million she asked for.

edblank commented about Cinema Wexford on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:48 am

My recollection of the sequence of events is that it shifted from first-run to late-run bargain house after Showcase Cinemas North opened and, with incomparably greater corporate clout and state-of-the-art amenities, took control of first-run product.

edblank commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Might you be referring to the Art Greenwich, which was twinned in its final years?

edblank commented about Byham Theatre on Nov 18, 2011 at 8:00 am

Thank you for your kind comments, Rivoli. As it happens, my high school graduation 50 years ago was in Loew’s Penn. Just finished staging my 50th reunion weekend, but not there. Sure spent a lot of hours at the Penn from about 1948 to 1964 (when it stopped being a moviehouse)watching MGM, United Artists and Paramount first-run films. I’ve read with interest your remarks on many Pittsburgh and Manhattan theaters.

edblank commented about Byham Theatre on Nov 14, 2011 at 8:59 am

The two main roadshow (reserved-seat) moviehouses were the second and final of the two theaters here known as the Nixon (“Oklahoma,” “Guys and Dolls,” “Around the World in 80 Days,” “West Side Story,” “The Sound of Music” and many others) and the Warner (“The Ten Commandments,” “Gigi,” “Ben-Hur,” “Hello, Dolly,” all of the Cinerama films).

Occasionally a roadshow opened elsewhere Downtown, as when “Cleopatra” went into the Penn or the Fulton nabbed “El Cid,” “The Longest Day,” “Lawrence of Arabia” (when its just-begun run at the Nixon was interrupted by a major fire)and “Funny Girl.”

By the 1960s, almost all first-run theaters in Pittsburgh were owned and operated by the Stern family’s Associated Theatres, whose holdings also included several art houses in the city’s East End neighborhoods.

Associated began booking major roadshows into such theaters as the Squirrel Hill (“My Fair Lady,” “Doctor Zhivago,” “Becket”), the nearby Manor in Squirrel Hill (“Star,” “Doctor Dolittle,” “Fiddler on the Roof”) and the King’s Court in Oakland (“A Man for All Seasons,” “Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines” and “Oliver”).

By diverting these normally prestige pictures into smaller theaters such as the art houses, Associated could keep its larger Downtown houses free for shorter-run commercial pictures that open big and flame out faster.

There was less to lose by playing fewer art pictures in the East End. Associated could be pickier about which art house hits played here while the aforementioned art houses were occupied for months at a stretch by roadshows.

They found that while audiences from the southern, western and northern sectors of Western Pennsylvania may not have frequented the art houses when art films played there, audiences from those sectors WOULD make the trek to the East End neighborhoods for “event films” such as “My Fair Lady” and “Doctor Zhivago.”

By the early 1960s, almost all Downtown Pittsburgh moviehouses

edblank commented about State Theatre on Oct 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm

At the risk of turning this into a forum on “The Big Fisherman,” I can tell you that it was a rare roadshow flop in its day, as was “The Diary of Anne Frank” at about the same time. “Big Fisherman” had a modest 10-week run (none of them big) at Pittsburgh’s Warner Theatre, which was our Cinerama house and which had great long runs of two other religious-themed blockbusters, “The Ten Commandments” and “Ben-Hur.”

“The Big Fisherman” has never been available on home video, and I’ve never known it to be shown on cable. I’ve been trying to see it since missing it in theaters the first (and only) time around. It has had no “after life.”

edblank commented about Radio City Music Hall on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:44 am

Simon, I’m intrigued by your box-office numbers regarding “North by Northwest” topping the non-holiday record held previously by “High Society.” I followed the RCMH figures (and those of about 200 other theaters) scrupulously in Variety for decades. But especially RCMH’s numbers because that was the theater that, more than any other, enjoyed the pick of the litter. Is there any chance you kept a log of RCMH’s weekly figures, film after film?

edblank commented about Tri-State Drive-In on Jun 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

In the late 1950s and early 1960s, while the Tri-State was in its heyday, the weekly playbill/program featuring current and forthcoming features was inserted in all copies of The Pittsburgh Press distributed in the Burgettstown/McDonald/Bulger/Midway area.

edblank commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Sonny, I, too, have gotten notices of multiple new CT postings that were not visible when I checked for them. This happens especially on the Radio City Music Hall site for whatever reason. Then I discovered that by clicking on the word COMMENTS, the most recently posted messages – the ones I’ve been notified about – become visible.

edblank commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on May 31, 2011 at 8:12 am

I was in the dumpy re-do of the Mayfair/DeMille only a couple of times after it was triplexed. One was shortly after the butchery for a single-feature re-release opf “Battleground.” (All three of the classics showing that week were of war films, one of the others being “The Longest Day.”)

A later visit to catch up with “Fade to Black” was even less felicitous. I was in one of the upstairs chambers alone one late morning. Very steep ascent. Just generally feeling uncomfortable when a cat appeared out of nowhere, leaping onto the seat beside me. The suddenness of its pounce startled the bejeebers out of me.

After the movie I approached the upstairs doorman, a young man with a thick accent, and asked about the cat. I anticipated his response, although he was even more forthcoming than I expected about cats roaming freely because of the theater’s rat problem.

edblank commented about (New) Nixon Theatre on Feb 2, 2011 at 8:31 am

Thank you very much, CT contributors. I appreciate the kind words.

Aside to Lost Pittsburgh: I don’t think I can lay my hands on the story about what occupies the former drive-in properties, but I do have an original of the most commented-up story I ever did: A 1983 roundup of what occupied at that time the sites of many dozens of former Pittsburgh area moviehouses.

As I recall, the indoor theaters story led to the followup on what happened to the drive-in properties.

I’ll send you a Xerox of the indoors story by postal mail if you email me at and give me your home address. I don’t think you should post it here. – Ed

edblank commented about Pix Theater on Jan 30, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Enrolling with this link.

edblank commented about Bryant Theatre on Jan 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Enrolling with this link.

edblank commented about Shadyside Theater on Jan 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm

For the record, nothing about the floor plan of the theater changed after it ceased being a late-run neighborhood house and started being a first-run art house. The seats were replaced, I seem to recall, but the structure and layout were the same.

edblank commented about Shadyside Theater on Jan 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm

The Shadyside Theater had no balcony. The Balcony restaurant, as it was called, was named for the fact it was upstairs. It did, in fact, occupy the area formerly used for the theater’s projection booth plus the (former)air space over the smallish lobby and the back several rows of seats.

edblank commented about Schenley Theater on Dec 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

The Strand Theatre is on Cinema Treasures. It’s No. 6947. I have not gotten around to putting an entry on there yet. Can’t give you the Strand’s closing date offhand. It was mostly a second-run neighborhood house but tried a bit of art in its later years. I believe that it had the second-highest capacity (to the Schenley) of all the Oakland theaters.

edblank commented about Schenley Theater on Dec 27, 2010 at 7:39 am

You’re thinking of the Strand, which straddled the years from the era of the Schenley through the early years of the King’s Court. The Strand was on Forbes Avenue like the other two.

There was a bowling alley on the second floor of the Strand.

But its main distinction was being one of the only two Western Pennsylvania theaters that I know of (the Etna in Etna being the other) where you entered the theater from behind the screen and walked up a slope toward the projection booth to select a seat.