Comments from GeorgeStrum

GeorgeStrum commented about Elsinore Theatre on Jun 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm

The Theatre Historical Society last visit there was July 17th, 2001.

GeorgeStrum commented about St. James Theatre on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:16 am

I am a resident of Saint James N.Y. and a member of the Theatre Historical Society. I became intrigued with the building long known for being a former vaudeville/movie house for the community from the 1910’s to 1950. I learned it was called The Calderone Saint James. I visited it recently and found it to be rented out by a guy who runs his own flea market selling all kinds of junk. It used to be a showroom for an interior decorator named Ruth Weinstein who moved into another store down the street. I was doing research in the Smithtown Library and found that the 1927 microfilm edition of the Messenger had nothing about the theatre. I suppose later editions would or other papers. I plan to give a talk at the library next year about what entertainment was available in Smithtown back in the day to go with the town’s upcoming 300th anniversary.

GeorgeStrum commented about Farmingdale Theater on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:33 am

Orlando was Lenny any relation to you?

GeorgeStrum commented about Bay Shore Theatre on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:25 am

My dad had a job working in the projection booth there for only three months back in the early 1940’s.

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum commented about Century's Baldwin Theatre on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:18 am

Yes by cracky I remember seeing Way of All Flesh and Susan and God back in the fall of 1940 but haven’t been thar since.

GeorgeStrum commented about Varsity Theatre on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm

On June 28, 2012 The Theatre Historical Society will be visiting the Varsity. Phone 630-782-1800 for more information.

GeorgeStrum commented about Boulevard Theatre on Jul 16, 2011 at 12:39 am

As of 7/15/11 nothing occupies the space. It is an empty shell with forlorn signs on the windows “to let”,

GeorgeStrum commented about Stadium Theatre on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Thank you Stadium for hosting EMCATOS on 7/02/11 for a screening of the silent Sunrise with Steve Ball on the Wurlitzer organ.

GeorgeStrum commented about Zeiterion Theatre on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Having visited this theatre with EMCATOS on 7/02/11 I did find evidence of “orbs” in some of my pictures an indication of some ghostly presence. The Wurlitzer organ sounded manificent.

GeorgeStrum commented about Broadway Theatre on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Please tell us about the ghosts. Is this place really haunted?

GeorgeStrum commented about Birmingham 8 on Jun 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm

They say it is haunted. Any comments about that?

GeorgeStrum commented about Palace Theatre on Mar 31, 2011 at 5:28 am

My mother went to this theatre as a young girl. Movie goers would crowd her father’s soda shop after showings.

GeorgeStrum commented about North Massapequa Theatre on Mar 31, 2011 at 5:17 am

Now converted into a car dealership?

GeorgeStrum commented about Lindenhurst Theatre on Mar 31, 2011 at 5:15 am

What is happending to the property now? I heard that the building can be restored back to a theatre. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?

GeorgeStrum commented about Florida Theatre on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:47 am

This theatre is haunted. A spector of a man has been seen in the upper balcony in rowE. Strange sounds come from the projection booth. There may be the spirit of little girl as well. All of this information came from the program Real or Faked on the SyFy channel.

GeorgeStrum commented about Theatre at the Ace Hotel on Oct 31, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I guess Mary Pickford felt she owned the theatre. It was her second home next to Pickfair.

GeorgeStrum commented about Curran Theatre on Oct 31, 2010 at 8:19 pm

The ghost of the cashier shot in 1933 haunts this theatre as does the spirit of a little girl killed by a car across the street in the 50’s. Information from tv series America’s Scariest Places.

GeorgeStrum commented about Byrd Theatre on May 11, 2010 at 3:45 am

Purchased for $1 an old LP by Dick Leibert playing the mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ of the Byrd Theatre at a flea market in N.Y. Mr. Leibert died in 1977 at 74 years old.

GeorgeStrum commented about Embassy Theatre on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:01 pm

THS will be visiting here on Friday June 25th 2010.

GeorgeStrum commented about Hilbert Circle Theater on Apr 2, 2010 at 2:22 am

THS will visit this theatre on June 24th.

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum commented about Morris Performing Arts Center on Mar 14, 2010 at 12:13 am

THS will be visiting here the week of 6/22/10-6/29/10.

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum commented about Olympic Theater Concert Hall on Mar 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm

This theatre is in terrible condition. It should be saved.

GeorgeStrum commented about Egyptian Theatre on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:27 am

Ghost Stories on the Travel Station just showed a piece tonight on this theatre. Supposedly it is haunted by a former projectionist named Joe, He hangs out mostly in the projection booth or in the upper balcony last row last seats.

GeorgeStrum commented about Roxy Theatre on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm

The first and only time I ever visited the Roxy was back in 1956. I was only 8 years old and my sister was 6. For some reason my mother trexed us all the way from Lindenhurst L.I. on the LIRR to NYC to see “Anastasia” and the stage show. I was so overwhelmed by the emmanceousness of everything. All I can remember of the stage show was that they were doing some kind of King and I medley because the stage was a bright red with a dragon print and the familiar March of the Siamese Children played by the orchestra. I’ve never forgotten it.

GeorgeStrum commented about Loew's Valencia Theatre on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:26 pm

To get an idea of what the very first patrons to the Valencia may have seen on the screen is a 3 minute introduction of the first movie shown: White Shadows in the South Seas 1928 Youtube. Try it.