Comments from GFeret

GFeret commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on Oct 9, 2017 at 12:10 pm

I’m pretty sure Friday Oct. 6 the Norridge #1-2 theatres reopened for business (with Blade Runner 2049). I had gotten an online AMC advertisement about it so Saturday when I was driving in that vicinity I turned in and the 2 auditoriums furthest west (away from Harlem) in the lot certainly looked ready for customers right now

GFeret commented about Japanese Cinema on Oct 4, 2017 at 1:19 pm

that the Japanese Cinema wasn’t a ‘theatre place’ per se had already been established and needn’t be gone over again. Whichever way the CT listing goes (FWP school auditorium or Japanese Cinema) neither’d be 100% correct, but calling it the Japanese Cinema if not accurate from a building structure standpoint is certainly the most familiar and readily accessible (especially for the many who actually went there then) manner of listing here IMO

GFeret commented about Japanese Cinema on Oct 4, 2017 at 8:28 am

if it was advertised in (public) newspapers regularly perhaps so (I assume admission was charged). maybe it didn’t have a dedicated projection booth like the Japanese cinema @ FWP did

GFeret commented about Japanese Cinema on Oct 4, 2017 at 7:28 am

i went and saw Japanese movies (frequently a double-feature program) a lot back in the mid-1970’s. Considering this effort by Mr. Kaihatsu was so long-lived I say yes keep it in cinema treasures. He was quite a courteous and informative man if you talked with him. Two little drawbacks to screenings in the FWP school auditorium though – A) it was not air-conditioned; and B) the 35mm projectors were only 1000 ft reel equipped models up in the booth so film changeovers were abundant (carbon-arc projection lamps needless to say)

GFeret commented about United Artists on Jun 8, 2017 at 6:57 am

1959 – that’s the year for this great photo (not 1960 as previously stated). I say this after looking up the exact USA release dates for the movies playing. The Garrick theatre marques (barely discernible past the Woods) is illuminated (in 1960 the place closed). And I wonder exactly which Cinerama title is playing then (at the Palace/Bismarck). The hamburger restaurant there at the Randolph/ Dearborn corner says “Glorified Hamburger”, but I see no mention of the name ‘Wimpy’s’. The Wimpy’s Glorified Hamburger I’d frequented (one of them anyway) was at the Madison/Clark corner. I keep returning to this wonderful (to me) old color image—I particularly enjoy seeing what I know preceeded the Civic/Daley center.

GFeret
GFeret commented about Mid `70's photo credit Saul Smaizys. on Jan 30, 2017 at 9:35 am

I like this old photo because back in the late ‘60s and early '70s I could be found walking on that south Howard sidewalk, going east not to the howard theatre per se but to a store (long gone) in the 1500 w. block called Tropiquarium. I like to be reminded of these things by relevant photographs such as this. At that movie theatre though I’m pretty sure I saw Cinderella Liberty (w/ marsha mason) and Joe (w/ peter boyle)

GFeret commented about 1949 on Dec 28, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I’m favoriting this old CROWN theatre photo because it’s easily the best one of the lot, plus it’s sort of how I can remember seeing it when I was little, in the ‘50s just before it was torn down. It had already closed of course when I saw it but I do remember the marquee w/ CROWN name looking just like this This’s the southwest corner of Division at Ashland. Look at all the movie posters around (including on the next-door roof), what showmanship

GFeret commented about Oak Theatre on Dec 28, 2016 at 8:13 am

for a long time I certainly had my full of the old Oak theatre starting in the late ‘50s, certainly the '60s and into the '70s, and at least drove past throughout the '80s. But beginning mid-'90s I wasn’t ever in the neighborhood there so not only didn’t I see it’s demolition but was quite unaware of it then. Nowadays I return often but all I get for my trouble’s a drive-through bank (admittedly my wife likes the Mexican restaurant across western), because now Sam’s red-hots is gone too. Talk about a neighborhood character upheaval

GFeret
GFeret commented about Plaza Theater 308 W North Avenue on Dec 20, 2016 at 7:55 am

boy do I love this 60s photo, as much for north ave as for the plaza theatre. this is looking east (towards the lake), and north ave looks absolutely nothing like this now. It got widened to be sure, gobbling up property frontages along the north side of the street, and the former plaza site now is North Park Tower, with the Pipers Alley theatres (now closed) just a couple doors east. No I never attended the Plaza theatre myself plus I’m a little miffed I have no childhood memory passing it by on the way to north ave beach then

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1944 photo credit Gordon Coster-Getty Images. on Nov 29, 2016 at 7:05 am

yes! great old photo, probably taken about a year after the Harrison stop on the new State St subway opened. It’s easy to miss the PARIS Theatre to the left (at least I thought so), but look immediately right of the protruding ‘Tattooing Studio’ signage and you’ll see the movie posters on display there (with ‘PAR of Paris right above Billiards sign)

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:41 am

?

(they can’t crop that)

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:40 am

(the link again since it appears cinematreasures site has strangely cropped off the right side of my post):

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:36 am

‘especially nowadays’ certainly does not apply here regarding enclosed (free) parking for the old Alamo theatre, simply because we see it stated in this vintage 1960 (after you say you’d moved away from the neighborhood) Chicago newspaper theatre section listing. Look under Alamo Theatre @ 3639 Chicago Ave there (after you’ve copied & pasted the link to access) and see for yourselves:

I remember the tearing down of the Alamo a few years later (I remained in west humboldt park through 1981 and wish now I could pinpoint just where that enclosed theatre parking may’ve been, having worked @ Rock-Ola nearby), though as a boy didn’t attach a great deal of importance to the loss

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 22, 2016 at 1:23 pm

yes it must have had enclosed parking because the Alamo ad in a 1960 newspaper theatre listing (the one I’m looking at is 3/25/60) says just that

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 22, 2016 at 11:48 am

the old chicago newspaper theatre section print listing for the ALAMO said ‘enclosed free parking’. really? enclosed? enclosed where I wonder

GFeret
GFeret commented about Auditorium of the Marbro Theatre in 1929 on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:33 am

I’ve favorited this particular old Marbro theatre interior shot because of one ‘attachment’ to me: when I saw the movie Ben-Hur here with my mother and sister Constance (1959) I distinctly remember gazing up at the Mezzanine level seating we see clearly there, such a thing fascinating and amazing this 7 y.o. boy (it impressed me as much as the chariot race!)

GFeret
GFeret commented about 5/05/71-6/29/71 photo courtesy of Bruce Hannover. Color restored by Mark Gulbrandsen. on Aug 9, 2016 at 1:08 pm

this ‘71 oriental theatre photo says it all about the downfall of downtown Chicago moviegoing that happened then. “Rated X by all-white jury”. (And $1.69 steaks @ Ronnie’s !)

GFeret commented about Vic Theatre on Jul 22, 2016 at 11:21 am

the balcony is open. I saw a movie at the Vic a month or two ago and the main floor area was closed-off and seating was now only in balcony (not sure why all this was but really doesn’t matter). Really neat IMO though, because the railings, staggered seats, lighted steps were still in their original style. At the low admission price the film was a terrific deal

GFeret commented about Vic Theatre on Jul 22, 2016 at 11:21 am

GFeret commented about Thalia Hall on Jul 14, 2016 at 2:33 pm

tickets are sold-out now (though they same some will be available at the door right before showtime) for this Saturdays live performance by film director John Carpenter together with his son @ Thalia, of their music compositions for his films and more (I’m taking my son ernie there)

GFeret commented about On the corner on Jul 11, 2016 at 12:36 pm

in 1975 that’d be dear old Dad offering his art for sale on pegboard stands I usually helped him with, at the annual Belmont/central art fair, one of many Chicago neighborhood weekend art fairs common at the time (like Gold Coast, Old Town, Harlem-Irving, Golf Mill, etc) from spring to fall

GFeret
GFeret commented about April 1960 photo credit Steve Lewandowski. on Jun 13, 2016 at 8:43 am

i can see, and feel myself as a boy of 10 walking right there, from wimpys on the sidewalk to rarcoa (now Harlan j berk) past clark theatre and giving brief thought to their movies. the building now standing on the northeast clark/Madison corner could never be remembered by anyone…..like this

GFeret commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on May 17, 2016 at 8:09 am

I find it interesting in of course a stupid way that 2 blocks south from here you have the Harlem-Irving Mall where every last square inch obviously is at a retail development premium, but here the defunct norridge theatre parcel takes years before somebody gives a hoot about using it. the old RE adage “location-location-location” at its most bizarre

GFeret
GFeret commented about Fourth week would put this ad around 1/16/71. Image courtesy of Chicago Extinct Businesses Facebook page. on Apr 27, 2016 at 7:38 am

after a little pondering I’ve decided this particular photo says all that ever needs to be said about the Loop Theatre

GFeret commented about Mayne Stage on Apr 6, 2016 at 10:27 am

good riddance. the mayne stage only caused me (& mrs) grief