Comments from GFeret

GFeret
GFeret commented about Fourth week would put this ad around 1/16/71. Image courtesy of Chicago Extinct Businesses Facebook page. on Apr 27, 2016 at 7:38 am

after a little pondering I’ve decided this particular photo says all that ever needs to be said about the Loop Theatre

GFeret commented about Mayne Stage on Apr 6, 2016 at 10:27 am

good riddance. the mayne stage only caused me (& mrs) grief

GFeret
GFeret commented about World Playhouse in the Fine Arts Building on Mar 16, 2016 at 6:39 am

this old photo says a mouthful – FINE ARTS – FALLOUT SHELTER – TRIPLE ADULT SHOW $2. (….only in Chicago)

GFeret commented about Clermont Theatre on Jan 18, 2016 at 7:14 am

the store there closed for good yesterday and had a farewell, although there’s still some activity there today

GFeret commented about Times Theatre on Jan 18, 2016 at 7:12 am

it was in the ‘80s—not the '70s as stated in the theatre overview—the razing of the times theatre & adjacent bldgs. for the strip mall. The neat THSA photo showing Leonard Seed store right next door reminded me that I shopped there myself in the early '80s, when it was a handyman fix-it shop. Also there was a Foot-So-Port shoe store there too I liked (they re-located to by the portage theatre in subsequent years)

GFeret commented about Thunderbird Theater on Nov 16, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I took my young sons Charlie & Ernie here for the first HOME ALONE movie. I still drive right by every couple weeks and that hibachi royal buffet restaurant that occupies the old theatre space looks to do a bumper business. If you walk through the gangway alongside the building that connects to the south (rear) parking lot anybody can easily notice the emergency exits still there that’re typical of theatres

GFeret commented about New Rex Theater on Nov 2, 2015 at 12:12 pm

the new NEW REX images were certainly an unexpectedly pleasant surprise for me to see. I have this exact area of Chicago ‘under my fingernails’ from my ‘50s – '70s youth, having gone to D.R. Cameron grade school right there a couple years. I could tell you every little thing about every little place nearby. Yet I was too late to attend this theatre, it had closed, and my late father had but passing recollection of its open operation. All that said, I have to say this building location is as odd as they come for a movie theatre IMO, which may have something to do with its rather short-termed longevity (astonishing that over its lifetime it was even totally rebuilt). Who would go to Grand & Lawndale to see a movie?

GFeret commented about Mars Theatre on Oct 13, 2015 at 2:18 pm

the 2556 address street number to me makes much more sense (than 2542), from remembering the Mars in the mid-‘60s

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1956 photo courtesy of the Stockholm Transport Museum via The Old Motor. on Oct 12, 2015 at 2:05 pm

that’s quite a stunning color chrome from the ‘50s of the old Maxwell street neighborhood, which I first visited as a young boy around then (1959?)

GFeret commented about Alvin Theatre on Aug 6, 2015 at 1:21 pm

the Shapiro Dance Studio, available for wedding rentals too. I think the marquee will remain, somehow, to open late this year?

GFeret commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:35 am

your recollection has summed-up a boys weekend pleasure budget of those beautiful old days excellently! but would I have bought THREE popcorns?

GFeret commented about Woodlawn Theatre on Jun 1, 2015 at 1:05 pm

that’s a beautiful color photo (transparency) of the 1951 Woodlawn theatre because it also includes the streetcar there. In 1966 I took the CTA el to the Jackson Park terminal with my buddy Ernie V.

GFeret
GFeret commented about Here is the 1948 Flickr photo, in case the link goes dead. Courtesy of Joe & Jeanette Archie. on May 18, 2015 at 10:47 am

a 1948 relatively casual photo but rare IMO nevertheless for its color process. the Cinema Treasures website was born to showcase these precious images (plus discussions). today I work at a company just a few blocks straight west

GFeret
GFeret commented about 08/11/74 Photo courtesy of David Cacioppo Sr. via Gibson's Steakhouse.. on May 4, 2015 at 7:24 am

i particularly like this old photo because besides the Carnegie theatre it also obviously shows the yearly labor day event – the gold coast rush street art fair and that means a lot to me because my late father exhibited his fine paintings for sale out on pegboard type stands just like that, with me (or one of my young sisters) at his side each day to assist. his usual spot was @ delaware & wabash but then they moved him to rush & pearson

by coincidence I saw L&G The Rolling Stones there at the Carnegie (6-track sound)

GFeret commented about United Artists on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:53 am

i can’t say enough about this photo, for me it has it all. daley (civic) center block before demolition including hong sue gai chinese restaurant, randolph/wells elevated station in distance, average guys on street wearing hats

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1981 photo credit Mike Tuggle. on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:48 am

films playing @ UA and Woods are their dying days kung-fu or grade-Z horror titles, not that I can legitimately criticize because I went to see them

GFeret commented about Main Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 12:39 pm

I don’t remember the Main theatre back then here but in the 1980’s – early ‘90s I’d visit this address frequently when it was home to a locksmith shop run by the late Mr. Arthur Youngblood and his wife. While he may’ve been the cranky sort somehow I was probably the type to soften him up and he wound up being a big help to me servicing locks. When he passed on another neighborhood locksmith Bob Gruber & sons over on Central ave bought up his considerable stock (and for a short time Mr. Youngblood lived on, for me anyway). Now Mr. Gruber’s gone too and it’s Aguilar & sons (at the central ave locksmith store)

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1962 photo courtesy of the AmeriCar The Beautiful Facebook page. on Mar 23, 2015 at 11:55 am

that’s me that speck in the distance, off to the right. no the other one. I remember seeing Bon Voyage at the State-Lake with my beloved Uncle Johnny, when was it, 1961 or thereabouts? A real yawner from Disney unfortunately, my uncle’s snores (we were up in the balcony) proved it. I think we went to see this one on the strength of Disney’s previous Swiss Family Robinson which we liked. I know the little window up on the old Lake Elevated State St station this photo was taken from, as I did the same thing in the ‘70s. A better downtown vantage you couldn’t ask for.

GFeret commented about Belpark Theatre on Mar 14, 2015 at 10:15 am

tomorrow mar 15 this place (what was the BelPark theatre) re-opens as www.chicagotabernacle.org

a modest canopy hangs over the front entrance on Cicero ave stating ‘Chicago Tabernacle CT’, in place of what once many years ago was the BelPark theatre marquee.

I don’t exactly know but I’d hazard a good guess the newest renovation here utilizes what the old theatre had to offer inside, much much better than the previous Golden Tiara seniors bingo hall had done

GFeret commented about Star and Garter on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:28 am

this photo’s a favorite of mine – of course, how could it not be? so much about going to movie theatres back in the ‘50s & '60s that I lovingly recall is stated if implicity in the details seen here. also, in the mid-'60s when I’d get curious and walk westward from the Loop, probably going as far out as this I remember how with every block west the area turned more skid row. never mind though, it’s all beautiful to me

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1966 photo courtesy of Dennis Madia. on Mar 2, 2015 at 7:43 am

Wow! choreography by Gower Champion, our Miss Brooks, and Wimpys hamburgers all rolled into one pic. What more could anyone ask for?

GFeret commented about Patio Theatre on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:46 am

aaarrrggghhh!

GFeret commented about Lakeside on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:17 am

you bet I can just see myself as an 8 y.o. right there in front of this theatre (and a few others like it) mesmerized by those old horror film poster images with longing. back then I had practically no money in my pocket but what I did have was a bountiful selection of neighborhood (sub-run) theatres running triple-features which changed twice (or even thrice) weekly. so closely scanning the sun-times newspaper movie listings I planned most economically how to see almost all those enticing titles anyway. then smell that freshly popped popcorn after you bought your ticket and stepped inside

GFeret commented about Elm Theater on Feb 10, 2015 at 10:43 am

I have to say I never realized while I shopped at the True Value store that the building I was in was—at least in large part—the old Elm Theatre, re-purposed. It certainly didn’t look so from the front (Grand Ave) side, and I remember the Elm Theatre facade & marquee from the early ‘60s. But I see from the new demolition photos the full background.

GFeret commented about 1968 Rush Street postcard. on Feb 10, 2015 at 10:34 am

yes I see The Producers is playing @ the Carnegie where it opened in Chicago 1968 and I remember I saw it then and there