Comments from GFeret

GFeret
GFeret commented about Here is the 1948 Flickr photo, in case the link goes dead. Courtesy of Joe & Jeanette Archie. on May 18, 2015 at 10:47 am

a 1948 relatively casual photo but rare IMO nevertheless for its color process. the Cinema Treasures website was born to showcase these precious images (plus discussions). today I work at a company just a few blocks straight west

GFeret
GFeret commented about 08/11/74 Photo courtesy of David Cacioppo Sr. via Gibson's Steakhouse.. on May 4, 2015 at 7:24 am

i particularly like this old photo because besides the Carnegie theatre it also obviously shows the yearly labor day event – the gold coast rush street art fair and that means a lot to me because my late father exhibited his fine paintings for sale out on pegboard type stands just like that, with me (or one of my young sisters) at his side each day to assist. his usual spot was @ delaware & wabash but then they moved him to rush & pearson

by coincidence I saw L&G The Rolling Stones there at the Carnegie (6-track sound)

GFeret commented about United Artists on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:53 am

i can’t say enough about this photo, for me it has it all. daley (civic) center block before demolition including hong sue gai chinese restaurant, randolph/wells elevated station in distance, average guys on street wearing hats

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1981 photo credit Mike Tuggle. on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:48 am

films playing @ UA and Woods are their dying days kung-fu or grade-Z horror titles, not that I can legitimately criticize because I went to see them

GFeret commented about Main Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 12:39 pm

I don’t remember the Main theatre back then here but in the 1980’s – early ‘90s I’d visit this address frequently when it was home to a locksmith shop run by the late Mr. Arthur Youngblood and his wife. While he may’ve been the cranky sort somehow I was probably the type to soften him up and he wound up being a big help to me servicing locks. When he passed on another neighborhood locksmith Bob Gruber & sons over on Central ave bought up his considerable stock (and for a short time Mr. Youngblood lived on, for me anyway). Now Mr. Gruber’s gone too and it’s Aguilar & sons (at the central ave locksmith store)

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1962 photo courtesy of the AmeriCar The Beautiful Facebook page. on Mar 23, 2015 at 11:55 am

that’s me that speck in the distance, off to the right. no the other one. I remember seeing Bon Voyage at the State-Lake with my beloved Uncle Johnny, when was it, 1961 or thereabouts? A real yawner from Disney unfortunately, my uncle’s snores (we were up in the balcony) proved it. I think we went to see this one on the strength of Disney’s previous Swiss Family Robinson which we liked. I know the little window up on the old Lake Elevated State St station this photo was taken from, as I did the same thing in the ‘70s. A better downtown vantage you couldn’t ask for.

GFeret commented about Belpark Theatre on Mar 14, 2015 at 10:15 am

tomorrow mar 15 this place (what was the BelPark theatre) re-opens as www.chicagotabernacle.org

a modest canopy hangs over the front entrance on Cicero ave stating ‘Chicago Tabernacle CT’, in place of what once many years ago was the BelPark theatre marquee.

I don’t exactly know but I’d hazard a good guess the newest renovation here utilizes what the old theatre had to offer inside, much much better than the previous Golden Tiara seniors bingo hall had done

GFeret commented about Star and Garter on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:28 am

this photo’s a favorite of mine – of course, how could it not be? so much about going to movie theatres back in the ‘50s & '60s that I lovingly recall is stated if implicity in the details seen here. also, in the mid-'60s when I’d get curious and walk westward from the Loop, probably going as far out as this I remember how with every block west the area turned more skid row. never mind though, it’s all beautiful to me

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1966 photo courtesy of Dennis Madia. on Mar 2, 2015 at 7:43 am

Wow! choreography by Gower Champion, our Miss Brooks, and Wimpys hamburgers all rolled into one pic. What more could anyone ask for?

GFeret commented about Patio Theatre on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:46 am

aaarrrggghhh!

GFeret commented about Lakeside on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:17 am

you bet I can just see myself as an 8 y.o. right there in front of this theatre (and a few others like it) mesmerized by those old horror film poster images with longing. back then I had practically no money in my pocket but what I did have was a bountiful selection of neighborhood (sub-run) theatres running triple-features which changed twice (or even thrice) weekly. so closely scanning the sun-times newspaper movie listings I planned most economically how to see almost all those enticing titles anyway. then smell that freshly popped popcorn after you bought your ticket and stepped inside

GFeret commented about Elm Theater on Feb 10, 2015 at 10:43 am

I have to say I never realized while I shopped at the True Value store that the building I was in was—at least in large part—the old Elm Theatre, re-purposed. It certainly didn’t look so from the front (Grand Ave) side, and I remember the Elm Theatre facade & marquee from the early ‘60s. But I see from the new demolition photos the full background.

GFeret commented about 1968 Rush Street postcard. on Feb 10, 2015 at 10:34 am

yes I see The Producers is playing @ the Carnegie where it opened in Chicago 1968 and I remember I saw it then and there

GFeret commented about A night at the Parkway on Feb 3, 2015 at 11:48 am

at the Parkway in 1982 I was bugging the manager to run a 2000 ft reel of my old 35mm trailers, and I must’ve made such a pest of myself because one night he did! I carried the silly reel in a brown paper bag under my arm and on a friday night when scheduled feature running times proved way off he slipped it in as I sat in the audience. The program features were triple-bill Robot Monster, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, and Plan 9 From Outer Space and the manager told me Killer Tomatoes actual running time was so short it left them with a ½+ hr gap. My trailer reel was a ridiculous mix of grade Z horror fare like Something Weird, Horrors of Spider Island, Astro Zombies, Swamp Virgin, etc specially prepared for bad laughs. The manager prefaced the reel with an annoucement of a ‘special treat’ but that none of these films were planned to play at the Parkway. It brought down the house, and I imagine the projectionist there thought it positively insane to run any film that just walked in off the street by a paying patron.

GFeret
GFeret commented about West End Theater on Cicero Avenue on Jan 29, 2015 at 7:34 am

even though the West End theatre’s obviously closed (for good) in this old B&W photo, the image nevertheless is just the kind I love to stare at because that is just how I remember it driving past in my parents car late 1950’s I believe. it takes me back perfectly and I’m grateful for sites like Cinema Treasures for providing the forum where a person can go and see this

GFeret
GFeret commented about PARK Theatre (Lake Street); Chicago, Illinois. on Jan 23, 2015 at 2:07 pm

this little photo years after the fact is all that remains

GFeret commented about United Artists on Dec 31, 2014 at 8:23 am

not the PALACE Cinerama but BISMARCK, it’s alternative monicker which is seen on the distant vertical signage here. ‘favorite" this photo? how could you not love it if you like me had been there

GFeret commented about Tiffin Theatre on Dec 30, 2014 at 7:49 am

on Kildare (by Wabansia) there’s Greenebaum Park and I don’t know of any chicago park called Wabasia per se. Up to the early ‘80s i’d see the Schwinn bicycle factory bldg—there was a company emblem over the door there—on the west side of Kostner driving by (no reason to regularly drive on residential street Kildare)

GFeret commented about Patio Theatre on Dec 21, 2014 at 3:01 pm

PATIO theatre marque was lit up and they’re showing the new Hobbitt movie this weekend there (apparently movies now shown only on weekends)

GFeret commented about Lawndale Theater on Dec 18, 2014 at 10:03 am

just gone are the very last traces of the gold ol' RENA theatre with the demolition finishing up on the southern auditorium wall as I saw yesterday

GFeret commented about Bell Theater on Dec 15, 2014 at 8:18 am

btw I DIDN’T ‘favorite’ this (Bell) theatre, I instead wanted to favorite the one photo associated with it. This is a computer world however where things don’t work correctly or things aren’t explained fully much less well or things cannot be corrected once entered, so I understand just fine.

GFeret commented about Belpark Theatre on Oct 3, 2014 at 7:05 am

the bel park yesterday had practically all traces of ‘golden tiara’ (bingo) removed, including the doorway canopy, and front doors boarded-up. definitely looks like re-construction going on inside (contractor sign was attached)

GFeret commented about Chopin Theatre on Sep 3, 2014 at 7:21 am

there’s more than one illuminated sign in the distance down milwaukee, and the further one could be for Paulina theatre. I remember weiboldts and its sign, my buddy dave worked there late ‘60s in their grocery dept.

GFeret commented about Chopin Theatre on Sep 2, 2014 at 1:49 pm

that old northwest looking photo linked above i find a little interesting in that the triangle in the middle of the 3-way intersection appears essentially barren. admittedly it’s a dark night-time image. i know the milwaukee-dearborn subway began construction 1939 (or sooner) but was soon put on hold in favor of concentrating what wartime resouces there were on the state st subway construction (and the dearborn subway opening delayed to 1951). trying to peer down milwaukee avenue is a bit problematic in this photo since there’s so much lighting haze but i suspect what’s down there’s the marquee of another theatre The Paulina

GFeret commented about Lawndale Theater on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:15 am

the wrecking ball’s made headway into the theatre auditorium the last day or two. it’s horrible and heartbreaking to look at even in passing. there’s a positively huge old steel beam exposed that no doubt was integral to balcony support