Comments from GFeret

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1944 photo credit Gordon Coster-Getty Images. on Nov 29, 2016 at 10:05 am

yes! great old photo, probably taken about a year after the Harrison stop on the new State St subway opened. It’s easy to miss the PARIS Theatre to the left (at least I thought so), but look immediately right of the protruding ‘Tattooing Studio’ signage and you’ll see the movie posters on display there (with ‘PAR of Paris right above Billiards sign)

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 23, 2016 at 1:41 pm

?

(they can’t crop that)

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 23, 2016 at 1:40 pm

(the link again since it appears cinematreasures site has strangely cropped off the right side of my post):

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 23, 2016 at 1:36 pm

‘especially nowadays’ certainly does not apply here regarding enclosed (free) parking for the old Alamo theatre, simply because we see it stated in this vintage 1960 (after you say you’d moved away from the neighborhood) Chicago newspaper theatre section listing. Look under Alamo Theatre @ 3639 Chicago Ave there (after you’ve copied & pasted the link to access) and see for yourselves:

I remember the tearing down of the Alamo a few years later (I remained in west humboldt park through 1981 and wish now I could pinpoint just where that enclosed theatre parking may’ve been, having worked @ Rock-Ola nearby), though as a boy didn’t attach a great deal of importance to the loss

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:23 pm

yes it must have had enclosed parking because the Alamo ad in a 1960 newspaper theatre listing (the one I’m looking at is 3/25/60) says just that

GFeret commented about Alamo Theater on Nov 22, 2016 at 2:48 pm

the old chicago newspaper theatre section print listing for the ALAMO said ‘enclosed free parking’. really? enclosed? enclosed where I wonder

GFeret
GFeret commented about Auditorium of the Marbro Theatre in 1929 on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I’ve favorited this particular old Marbro theatre interior shot because of one ‘attachment’ to me: when I saw the movie Ben-Hur here with my mother and sister Constance (1959) I distinctly remember gazing up at the Mezzanine level seating we see clearly there, such a thing fascinating and amazing this 7 y.o. boy (it impressed me as much as the chariot race!)

GFeret
GFeret commented about 5/05/71-6/29/71 photo courtesy of Bruce Hannover. Color restored by Mark Gulbrandsen. on Aug 9, 2016 at 4:08 pm

this ‘71 oriental theatre photo says it all about the downfall of downtown Chicago moviegoing that happened then. “Rated X by all-white jury”. (And $1.69 steaks @ Ronnie’s !)

GFeret commented about Vic Theatre on Jul 22, 2016 at 2:21 pm

the balcony is open. I saw a movie at the Vic a month or two ago and the main floor area was closed-off and seating was now only in balcony (not sure why all this was but really doesn’t matter). Really neat IMO though, because the railings, staggered seats, lighted steps were still in their original style. At the low admission price the film was a terrific deal

GFeret commented about Vic Theatre on Jul 22, 2016 at 2:21 pm

GFeret commented about Thalia Hall on Jul 14, 2016 at 5:33 pm

tickets are sold-out now (though they same some will be available at the door right before showtime) for this Saturdays live performance by film director John Carpenter together with his son @ Thalia, of their music compositions for his films and more (I’m taking my son ernie there)

GFeret commented about On the corner on Jul 11, 2016 at 3:36 pm

in 1975 that’d be dear old Dad offering his art for sale on pegboard stands I usually helped him with, at the annual Belmont/central art fair, one of many Chicago neighborhood weekend art fairs common at the time (like Gold Coast, Old Town, Harlem-Irving, Golf Mill, etc) from spring to fall

GFeret
GFeret commented about April 1960 photo credit Steve Lewandowski. on Jun 13, 2016 at 11:43 am

i can see, and feel myself as a boy of 10 walking right there, from wimpys on the sidewalk to rarcoa (now Harlan j berk) past clark theatre and giving brief thought to their movies. the building now standing on the northeast clark/Madison corner could never be remembered by anyone…..like this

GFeret commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on May 17, 2016 at 11:09 am

I find it interesting in of course a stupid way that 2 blocks south from here you have the Harlem-Irving Mall where every last square inch obviously is at a retail development premium, but here the defunct norridge theatre parcel takes years before somebody gives a hoot about using it. the old RE adage “location-location-location” at its most bizarre

GFeret
GFeret commented about Fourth week would put this ad around 1/16/71. Image courtesy of Chicago Extinct Businesses Facebook page. on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:38 am

after a little pondering I’ve decided this particular photo says all that ever needs to be said about the Loop Theatre

GFeret commented about Mayne Stage on Apr 6, 2016 at 1:27 pm

good riddance. the mayne stage only caused me (& mrs) grief

GFeret
GFeret commented about World Playhouse in the Fine Arts Building on Mar 16, 2016 at 9:39 am

this old photo says a mouthful – FINE ARTS – FALLOUT SHELTER – TRIPLE ADULT SHOW $2. (….only in Chicago)

GFeret commented about Clermont Theatre on Jan 18, 2016 at 10:14 am

the store there closed for good yesterday and had a farewell, although there’s still some activity there today

GFeret commented about Times Theatre on Jan 18, 2016 at 10:12 am

it was in the ‘80s—not the '70s as stated in the theatre overview—the razing of the times theatre & adjacent bldgs. for the strip mall. The neat THSA photo showing Leonard Seed store right next door reminded me that I shopped there myself in the early '80s, when it was a handyman fix-it shop. Also there was a Foot-So-Port shoe store there too I liked (they re-located to by the portage theatre in subsequent years)

GFeret commented about Thunderbird Theater on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I took my young sons Charlie & Ernie here for the first HOME ALONE movie. I still drive right by every couple weeks and that hibachi royal buffet restaurant that occupies the old theatre space looks to do a bumper business. If you walk through the gangway alongside the building that connects to the south (rear) parking lot anybody can easily notice the emergency exits still there that’re typical of theatres

GFeret commented about New Rex Theater on Nov 2, 2015 at 3:12 pm

the new NEW REX images were certainly an unexpectedly pleasant surprise for me to see. I have this exact area of Chicago ‘under my fingernails’ from my ‘50s – '70s youth, having gone to D.R. Cameron grade school right there a couple years. I could tell you every little thing about every little place nearby. Yet I was too late to attend this theatre, it had closed, and my late father had but passing recollection of its open operation. All that said, I have to say this building location is as odd as they come for a movie theatre IMO, which may have something to do with its rather short-termed longevity (astonishing that over its lifetime it was even totally rebuilt). Who would go to Grand & Lawndale to see a movie?

GFeret commented about Mars Theatre on Oct 13, 2015 at 5:18 pm

the 2556 address street number to me makes much more sense (than 2542), from remembering the Mars in the mid-‘60s

GFeret
GFeret commented about 1956 photo courtesy of the Stockholm Transport Museum via The Old Motor. on Oct 12, 2015 at 5:05 pm

that’s quite a stunning color chrome from the ‘50s of the old Maxwell street neighborhood, which I first visited as a young boy around then (1959?)

GFeret commented about Shapiro Ballroom on Aug 6, 2015 at 4:21 pm

the Shapiro Dance Studio, available for wedding rentals too. I think the marquee will remain, somehow, to open late this year?

GFeret commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 17, 2015 at 11:35 am

your recollection has summed-up a boys weekend pleasure budget of those beautiful old days excellently! but would I have bought THREE popcorns?