Comments from Giles

Giles commented about Blog Hiatus on Oct 30, 2014 at 12:36 pm

was the “add a theater” function taken down? I’m no longer seeing that feature

Giles commented about Arclight Bethesda on Oct 30, 2014 at 12:05 pm

all the screens sound systems can playback 7.1 sound.

Giles commented about Regal Countryside on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:23 pm

nope the RPX screen is off the cards – from Regal’s website (and a Facebook message from a mall representative)

Dulles opens on Dec. 11th but with some pre-opening events:

Be the First to See This State of the Art Theatre! Preview Events December 8 – December 10 $3 Movies, $3 Popcorn & $3 Soft Drinks All money raised goes to local charities!

Monday, December 8 “Help the Elves at Regal” Benefiting Toys for Tots

Tuesday, December 9 “Regal’s Holiday Treat” Benefiting Capital Area Food Bank

Wednesday, December 10 “Celebrate Home & Holidays at Regal” Benefiting Habitat for Humanity for Loudoun County

Theatre amenities:

• Regal King Size Recliners provide more room, comfort and true luxury.
  • Each recliner has an electric control for multiple positions and features padded footrests.
  • Digital projection in every auditorium to provide a crystal-clear picture.
  • Real D 3D projection systems available for 3D enhanced presentations.
  • Stadium seating provides each moviegoer a clear view of the screen.
  • Guest service desk provides extra assistance in the spacious lobby.
  • Regal Express kiosks offer customers fully-automated ticket purchasing.
  • Mobile tickets sent directly to any smart phone with the Regal App.
  • Industry-leading Regal Crown Club loyalty program rewards frequent moviegoers.
Giles commented about Fairfax Corner 14 + Extreme on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:50 pm

screen 6 and 9 have now been updated to playback Auro 11.1 mixed movies.

Giles commented about Alamo Drafthouse at the Ritz on Oct 27, 2014 at 9:00 pm

anyone know what the dimensions of screen #1 is? The 70mm projector is being used (obviously) for the upcoming run of ‘Interstellar’

Giles commented about Bethesda Row Cinema on Oct 27, 2014 at 7:48 pm

the worst renovation aspect that Landmark enacted was the adding of the lighting on the walls of the auditoriums – they don’t go fully off during the feature and thus ruins any and all scenes in the movies where it is darkly lit or a night scene. (‘Love is Strange’ looked like crap) It’s blatant and really REALLY visually distracting – it’s made me rethink of seeing movies here. I’m curious in knowing since the Arclight and Ipic theater (which opens this week) will factor in if Landmark might book one of the screens here with more eclectic programming (such as ‘week long run’ features, as they do with E Street; “Force Majeure” run here at Bethesda suggests that they are). Landmark seriously needs to bring more movies to the DC area closer to their New York City/L.A release dates, we use to in the 1970-80’s – we’ve slipped somehow.

Secondly the new seats maybe more comfortable and larger, but there’s not a lot of room from your knees to the seat in front of you, letting people get around you is a major pain in the ___.

Giles commented about Movies at Montgomery Mall on Oct 27, 2014 at 7:10 pm

from the video you provided thebrat it sounds that there are two auditoriums that can showcase 35mm presentations. I also like the fact that the representative states that the lighting is up to spec and in my opinion will supercede the crappy renovations that Landmark did to their downtown Bethesda location, which throws so much light from off the walls during the actual movie thus diminishing the pop and light from the screen itself.

Giles
Giles commented about Regal Springfield Town Center Stadium 12 on Oct 27, 2014 at 7:06 pm

AMC Shirlington is the closet theater that only features foreign/indie fare. I doubt that any of these theaters feature start of the art 7.1 sound … do they?

Giles commented about Blog Hiatus on Oct 27, 2014 at 6:56 pm

maybe whomever buys Regal can get it’s act together and improve theaters in the chain to state of the art standards. 7.1 surround sound for starters; make every RPX screen feature Dolby Atmos sound.

as for this site – do this mean that no updates or ‘new’ theaters can be added???

Giles commented about Movies at Montgomery Mall on Oct 27, 2014 at 3:06 pm

there are TWO Atmos systems – when the manager told me that – I think he noticed my jaw had dropped to the floor.

Giles commented about Congressional 5 Cinemas on Oct 27, 2014 at 2:59 pm

question: I’m not seeing a listing for the Roth Seven Lock’s twin theater on Tuckerman Lane – in the strip mall that has the Giant. Is it not listed here?

Giles commented about Congressional 5 Cinemas on Oct 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I remember seeing the 1989 version of ‘Ten Little Indians’ here with my high school friends.

Giles commented about Arclight Bethesda on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:39 pm

from what I can see on their website both a DLP presentation on the ‘Wide Screen’ and the 35mm print are happening. The 35mm print is opening two days prior on the 5th of November.

Giles commented about Arclight Bethesda on Oct 25, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I thought the Bow Tie Reston’s BTX screen was a set 2.35 screen with no side masking. The best thing about the Cinemark Xtreme screens are that they are two of the tallest screens in the DC area including the IMAX-D and ETX screen at Tysons and the Uptown.

Giles commented about Arclight Bethesda on Oct 25, 2014 at 5:12 pm

six auditoriums are set up to playback 3D features as well.

Giles
Giles commented about MacArthur Theater talkback event on Oct 24, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I’ll try and make it! I have a signed book of his that I got when I worked at Olsson’s Books and Records (Georgetown).

Giles commented about Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:48 pm

correction: the screen will get the conversion but it will not be in the claimed January – March 2015 timeline. The museum is slated for renovations in the next couple of years and at that time (or possibly sooner) the IMAX screen will then be upgraded.

Giles commented about Samuel C. Johnson IMAX Theater on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:44 pm

the article is not entirely accurate – this screen and the Udvar Hazy theater will get the upgrade but the Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater will get the conversion later. Here though the lazer system will require a new screen, but it will retain the full the 66ft by 90ft dimensions.

Giles commented about MacArthur Theater on Oct 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm

so the premier of ‘Star Trek – The Motion Picture’ played here, but didn’t actually play here, right? or am I wrong? I thought I remembered seeing it over at the Uptown.

Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Oct 15, 2014 at 1:40 pm

‘Sound of Music’ has been confirmed to be the 4K DCP

Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Oct 15, 2014 at 1:39 pm

‘West Side Story’ – a 70mm print? – oh I’ll be there!

HDCam looks like a Betamax/VHS cassette – I’m not sure why it’s encoded, delivered, presented as such since I thought it can only feature a movie no longer than 124 minutes in length (‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ is 132 minutes)

Giles commented about Rockville Center Stadium 13 on Oct 15, 2014 at 1:30 pm

there was a United Artists theater here in Rockville in the same general area, but not in the exact location – I remember it because that’s where I saw ‘Robocop 2’ in 1990.

Giles commented about Airbus IMAX Theater on Oct 9, 2014 at 1:53 pm

from an article regarding the conversion from 15/70 to digital projection on the IMAX screen:

“All three of Smithsonian’s IMAX theaters will close from January to March 2015 to convert from film to digital.”

from this online article:

from my understanding the conversion means that with the upgrade, this location will finally be able to showcase IMAX 3D features.

Giles commented about Samuel C. Johnson IMAX Theater on Oct 9, 2014 at 1:52 pm