Comments from Giles

Giles commented about Uptown Theater on Apr 10, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I can’t tell if it was a shoddy 3D presentation or what, but the non-3D presentation of ‘Monuments Men’ looked fantastic here at the Uptown. ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ though, today, was another matter entirely. The image seemed too dark at times, like not enough light was being thrown on the screen. Secondly, for a 2.35 film, the image on the sides were somehow slightly cropped, as well as the top looking a tad too cramped in a couple of scenes. This wasn’t the case for the 2.35 AR of ‘Monuments Men’ so I’m sure why this was happening at today’s screening – for the most part I was underwhelmed (thankfully the movie itself was a blast and negated the negative technical flaws). AMC I seriously doubt would do this, but the Uptown could be a top notch theater if they upgraded to feature Dolby Atmos sound – if the Dolby theater and the El Capitan (which has balconies) can be outfitted as such, the Uptown could also be upgraded. Since the screen is on the tall side – the extra height channels and the reinstallation of the left/center, right/center channels of sound could provide better pinpointing of sound on such a large screen … anyhow that’s just a pipe dream in my mind.

Giles commented about Cinemark Egyptian 24 and XD on Mar 21, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I totally missed the news that the XD screen was converted to playback Auro encoded movies. Yet NOT advertising this aspect on their website is rather pointless in my mind.

Giles commented about Cobb Village 12 on Mar 15, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I could cite any theater that uses side masking – but when compared to say AMC Mazza – which I frequent a lot – when a 1.85 film is presented – the top and bottom are consistent to a 2.35 (‘scope’) film and the only thing that is reduced is the sides of the screen reducing the screen horizontally (the theater setup folk obviously didn’t place the speakers too far out left and right to be obscured when a 1.85 film is shown) – why black borders would appear (around the entire image) seems to suggest as if the projector was somehow pushed forwards. From what I’ve been reading online, neither the Auro or the Atmos mix of ‘Mr Peabody’ are nothing to write home about. I saw ‘300: Rise of an Empire’ (Dolby Atmos) the next day and that holospheric audio soundscape was like night and day and just jaw dropping.

Giles commented about Cobb Village 12 on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:08 pm

oh and according to the phone message that you get when you call the theater, it states that ALL the screens can playback 7.1 movies [thumbs up]

Giles commented about Cobb Village 12 on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I agree thebrat – the Auro system didn’t really impress me as much as Dolby Atmos has. ‘Mr Peabody & Shermans’ soundmix was mediocre at best, the non-use of rear center sound creates a gigantic hole behind the listener – I’d like to resee/hear this in 7.1 now. As to the theater complex – really nice! It was odd though, that the 1.85 aspect ratio of ‘Mr Peabody’ didn’t fill out the screen, it was nestled in the middle of the screen with black borders on the sides as well above and below the image (huh?)

Giles commented about Alamo Drafthouse One Loudoun on Mar 11, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I must admit going to see ‘White House Down’ last year here was fun, although it took me awhile to adjust to eating a hamburger in almost complete darkness – now THAT was a challenge. I see that Cobb Village now has all it’s auditoriums to playback 7.1 features, wonder how and what Regal has up it’s sleeves to entice folk to go to it’s Dulles Town Center theaters come this Fall.

Giles commented about Majestic 20 on Mar 7, 2014 at 2:29 pm

so I finally caught a movie on the IMAX-D screen: ‘Stalingrad’ in 3D. Still miffed that for the first screening of the day, there is no matinee pricing for the IMAX screenings: $19 … “ouch!” Sound was colossal , and the image was great … but. The screen is no where as tall as either the IMAX-D or ETX screen over at Tysons. Even the ‘Xtreme’ screens over at Cinemark Fairfax Corner have a considerable height advantage.

Giles commented about Music Box Theatre on Feb 21, 2014 at 6:46 am

got some more info via facebook from the theater – Eastman ‘25’ projector for 16mm playback. Kinoton FP-20 for 35mm projection in the second auditorium. The NEC projector is not 3D capable. No word on if a 7.1 movie could be played back as such though.

Giles commented about Music Box Theatre on Feb 17, 2014 at 2:28 pm

can the NEC do 3D projection? obviously there are five speakers (plus subwoofer) for 70mm features, but can they playback newer 7.1 discrete mixed films?

Giles commented about Music Box Theatre on Feb 17, 2014 at 9:39 am

so the Music Box can show 35mm, 70mm and DCP on the main screen – right? what type of projector do they have?

Giles commented about Movies at Montgomery Mall on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:37 pm

White Flint maybe losing it’s theaters, but actually the IPic theaters over at Mid Pike Plaza is now up and listed on their website: https://www.ipictheaters.com/ipic-locations.aspx no actual date, but it’s coming…

Giles commented about Pike Theater on Dec 18, 2013 at 10:07 pm

there was a movie theater here? I honestly don’t remember seeing anything here, but did see movies now and then up the Pike at the Congressional 5.

Giles commented about AMC Tysons Corner 16 on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:22 am

as of the 6th of December – all the auditoriums have reserved seating.

both ‘Frozen’ and ‘Thor: The Dark World’ exhibited no ghosting, double imaging. I think the projectionist has perfected the merging of the two projectors finally.

‘Frozen’s Dolby Atmos absolutely shined – third best Atmos mix of the year, after 'Oblivion’ and ‘Gravity’

Giles
Giles commented about Samuel C. Johnson IMAX Theater on Dec 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

did a double feature this morning saw ‘Titans of the Ice Age’ and ‘Jerusalem 3D’ – the latter was just spectacular. Oh and for the record, the screen is 66 feet tall / 90 feet wide

Giles commented about Regal Bethesda 10 on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:26 pm

screen 10 has been upgrade to playback ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’ in ‘High Frame Rate’ as of Dec. 13, 2013

Giles commented about Majestic 20 on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

as part of Regal’s nationwide upgrading it’s projector’s to High Frame Rate films (i.e, specifically ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’) auditorium 15 can playback features as such.

Giles commented about Kingstowne Cinemas 16 on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:50 am

I agree thebrat – the aural experience of ‘Gravity’ was just literally out of this world [yeah, kind of the corny there – huh?] Actually I think the three Atmos systems was a Regal website misinformation – the manager I talked with last time I was there said the RPX screen is the only Atmos equipped screen.

Giles
Giles commented about Reston Town Center Multiplex Cinemas on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:42 am

[sigh] no Atmos or ‘high frame rate’ on the BTX screen for ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’

Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm

saw the 1953 ‘3D’ movie “Inferno” tonight on the new 3D system in auditorium #1 – and it looked fantastic. The Dolby 3D system’s glasses fit perfectly over my own glasses, unlike the REAL-D glasses that don’t. The 3D was very impressive and there was enough light to convey the dimensionality – whoever created the DCP made it look like the movie was shot last week. On the downside the audio was very strident and even sitting close to the screen, some of it bordered on intelligable, for a THX screen – the audio is all over the place; movie to movie.

Giles commented about Senator Theatre on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:48 pm

reopened on October 10 with a 35mm screening of ‘Hairspray’ with director John Waters in attendance.

Giles commented about Samuel C. Johnson IMAX Theater on Oct 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I know the audio announcement before the feature mentions the dimensions of the screen – but I’m having a senior moment – what is it? 90ft by ___? Of the three Smithsonian IMAX screens this is my favorite. The screen seems the largest, the seats are more comfortable, the interior decor more chic (at least in my opinion). Unfortunately due to the government shutdown this Friday’s opening of ‘Titans of the Ice Age 3D’ has been postponed.

Giles commented about Kingstowne Cinemas 16 on Sep 15, 2013 at 7:07 pm

three? really? wow! I saw ‘Pacific Rim’ on the RPX screen (2D) in Atmos and it sounded pretty good – the volume isn’t as LOUD or annoying as it is over at Tysons.

Giles commented about Cerberus 1-2-3 on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:43 am

can anyone confirm for me that a) ‘Starchasers: The Legend of Orin’ and b) it was presented in anaglyph 3D played here – I vaguely remember it as such.

Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:54 am

what a surprise yesterday afternoon to see ‘The Last Unicorn’ not only in DCP (on screen 2) but to get to meet author/screenwriter Peter S. Beagle in person. The presentation while advertised as a 35mm print turned out to be an actual DCP – the Park Circus logo was the immediate indication the literal second it displayed on screen. The colors looked fantastic, slight cel imperfections were retained and not scrubbed, DNR’d to death in typical Disney Home Video fashion (i.e, the current ‘The Sword and the Stone’ bluray is a primer on how the DNR transfer can destroy the original film look and create a flawed ‘video’ presentation). The 5.1 mix was equally impressive, notably in it’s wide dynamic range. It also came in great play when ever Schmendrick used his magical power, sound would swirl into the surrounds.

Giles
Giles commented about Walmart expansion cancellation leaves shuttered theatre behind on Aug 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm

one more reason why Walmart is a corporate bastard.