Comments from Giles

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,104 comments

Giles
Giles commented about Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Woodbridge on Jun 16, 2018 at 5:34 pm

‘soft opening’ was on Friday, June 8th. Official opening Friday June 15th.

Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Jun 8, 2018 at 8:05 pm

the recent Smithsonian screening at the Lockheed IMAX screen was a DCP and not actual “film”

Giles commented about Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater on May 23, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I wasn’t able to attend this presentation/Q&A, but I thought I just add this special screening of ‘2001’ just for the sake of retaining it here on Lockheed’s listing:

“Sci-Fi Sundays Special Event: ‘2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY’ featuring introduction and Q&A with Douglas Trumbull, Laser 2D, May 20th at 1:45 pm National Air and Space Museum, Washington, DC

This special screening will be introduced by, and followed by a Q&A with, legendary filmmaker and visual effects pioneer Douglas Trumbull, who created many of 2001’s stunning, Academy Award-winning FX sequences. Trumbull also earned Academy Awards nominations for his work on the sci-fi classics Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and Blade Runner."

Giles commented about Emagine Novi on May 11, 2018 at 7:59 pm

it’s not Dolby Cinema, but it certainly is banking on having a supersized screen: “Super EMAX”

‘Emagine Novi Super EMAX is the largest movie screen in Michigan with innovative new laser projection creating the most awe-inspiring movie experience in the Midwest including:

• A screen 92 feet wide and over 48 feet tall
  • Ultra-bright crisp 4K imagery
  • 64-channel Dolby Atmos® immersive sound system
  • 300 luxury reclining chairs
  • Cuddle chairs'
Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on May 7, 2018 at 10:23 am

AFI Silver just announced the 70mm engagement of ‘2001’ will be from July 5th to the 12th. Sounds like Fox has also culled new 70mm prints and 4K DCP’s of “The Sound of Music” for later this year (fingers crossed) – I’ve never seen or heard this in 70mm and would love to hear the original 6-track mix, as I am not a fan of the 7.1 remix done for the bluray.

Giles commented about AMC Loews Uptown 1 on Apr 13, 2018 at 7:59 am

this theater most definitely does NOT need reclining seats, recliners while comfortable would cheapen it in my opinion. Laser projection is paramount in boosting both the illumination of the image, and having the colors better pop.

Giles commented about AMC Loews Uptown 1 on Apr 6, 2018 at 6:43 am

@ Howard: AMC for whatever reason removed the left/center, and right/center channels out from behind the screen, but retained the original center and left/right speakers, they’re still there, but the original cinerama configuration is gone.

@ veyoung52 – yes in the 90’s 6-track split stereo surround became the standard, but Sony also it’s 8-channel mixing, cinema presentation that brought back the five stage channels, and boy did it sound glorious.

if AMC were to ever consider integrating/renovating the Uptown’s sound system to feature Dolby Atmos, reinstalling the left/center and right/center is paramount as Atmos does recommend the two additional speakers for especially wide screen dimensions (Arclight Bethesda for example is five front [plus bass] on it’s Atmos,‘widescreen’ screen)

Giles commented about Greenberg Theatre on Apr 5, 2018 at 8:04 am

can someone jog my memory, but I seem to recall ‘Arachnophobia’ played here in 70mm – or was it over at 4000 Wisconsin? I also thought Ridley Scott’s ‘Legend’ was 70mm, it’s possible it was only 35mm.

Giles commented about AMC Loews Uptown 1 on Mar 31, 2018 at 7:23 pm

^^ while they’re at it put back the left/center, right/center speakers behind the screen that were removed years ago.

Giles commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 on Mar 17, 2018 at 3:47 pm

that would seem odd Heisen considering for 3D ‘brightness’ is actually boosted for dimensionality to work, the only element that is causing darkness would be the IMAX glasses. Of the two ‘laser’(Smithsonian Institute) IMAX theaters in and around the Washington DC area, the brightness is consistent and impressive and shows off how beneficial ‘laser’ (IMAX) projection is in overall state of the art presentation.

Giles commented about Lincoln Grand 8 on Feb 9, 2018 at 9:13 pm

what are the details about the theater’s projector’s and audio systems? I gather at least one theater can playback 4K content as last Fall they premiered these two new 4K DCP’s

• The animated features PRINCE OF EGYPT and A GOOFY MOVIE with special Q&As with the film’s directors. Both projected for the first time in the updated 4K Digital Cinema Package.

Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Jan 22, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Howard, I actually went to the 1:40pm screening last Friday – and yes I got a souvenir programme – what a beaut!

Greenbelt is still 5.1 – phase 2 (which has yet to commence), might include the installation/upgrade to 7.1, time will tell.

I asked way back when the Avalon reopened what projector they had and they stated a 4K system was in the main auditorium – maybe they informed me incorrectly [EDIT: upon looking back at my Avalon Theater comment I mis-remembered, it’s a Christie projector that can be upgraded to playback in 4K, but from what I gather they’ve never done the system upgrade].

As to the 6-track soundtrack of ‘Phantom Thread’ it sounded very front heavy, with very little, subtle use of the surrounds and when it did, it was mostly for the music.

Personally I would love to hear a new movie from a director who remembers five stage channel mixed movies bring back that technical aspect – since I think it can be done on current processors (five front plus two surround channels).

Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Jan 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm

^ nice article Howard.

I saw ‘Phantom Thread’ here at the AFI Silver last Friday and they used the curtains only for the conclusion of the movie, usually they do it for both the beginning and the end.

Did the Greenbelt finally upgrade to 7.1 surround sound? I know that for here and the Avalon which is playing on the main screen, the 7.1 mix can and is played back as such.

Giles commented about AMC Loews Uptown 1 on Jan 13, 2018 at 9:27 am

apparently there was a December edition with ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ and ‘Elf’ – who knew ?? (I’m slipping here). For the record last weekend’s movie was ‘Sing’ (I love that movie).

Giles commented about Regal Gallery Place Stadium 14 on Jan 5, 2018 at 8:45 am

has anyone been to the recently opened ‘4DX screen’ – sounds too gimmicky to me, but as I understand it, the audio is still standard 7.1 and not immersive: Atmos, DTS-X, or Auro ~ right?

Giles
Giles commented about Regal Destiny USA Stadium 19 IMAX & RPX on Jan 5, 2018 at 7:31 am

went back to the RPX screen over the holidays with the family to see ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ and … I must be overly sensitive to ancillary lighting, but man oh man, did the green exit signs create an obnoxious glow on the screen – and I thought the red haze at AMC Tyson’s Dolby Cinema screen was bad, this is ten times worse.

Giles commented about Regal Bethesda 10 on Dec 8, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Downtown Bethesda really DOES need a multiplex because Landmark Bethesda is filling in the gap by adding Hollywood mainstream movies and ignoring foreign/indie movies they normally present.

Giles commented about AMC Tysons Corner 16 on Dec 8, 2017 at 7:48 am

Actually on TV and hidef (bluray) some of the special effects look overly fake, here though with Dolby using their special ‘Vision’ sauce the colors look better saturated and retain what was shot on film to better effect. Colors had a pop, image looked sharper but not overly DNR’d which was the case for ‘Terminator 2’ which quite frankly looked appalling. Granted I’ve seen ‘Titanic’ numerous times in the theater and on bluray/DVD/laserdisc, outside of the 70mm run, this was the best the movie looked. The audio and specifically when the ship cracks into two, after being hoisted into the air, the subsequent descent and crashing back into the water, the bass and ‘whomp’ was tremendous, literally rocked the walls and floor ~ wow! For once, the light red haze which reflected back onto the lower left/right hand of the screen was NOT a distraction, AMC must have lowered it.

Giles commented about Cinema on Dec 6, 2017 at 10:01 am

can someone remind me – did ‘Titanic’ play here in 1997?

Giles commented about AMC Tysons Corner 16 on Dec 5, 2017 at 2:02 pm

there are still some issues with the sound, voices sound too sibilant at times and there’s an odd echo-chamber effect. However with ‘Titanic’ and the debut of the 3D Dolby Cinema system, the presentation from a visual stance was simply outstanding, in my opinion it superior to the 2012 IMAX release. I was so glad they didn’t implement the vibration effect for the recliners.

Giles commented about AMC Tysons Corner 16 on Nov 20, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I got word from an AMC representative that Tyson’s Dolby Cinema system was upgraded to playback Dolby 3D movies – just in time for it’s week long run of ‘Titanic’ (new Dolby Vision color graded version).

Giles commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Nov 20, 2017 at 11:13 am

Nolan’s soundmixing in general is a mixed bag. I saw Dunkirk at the Lockheed Martin IMAX screen; here and Tyson Corner in 70mm – and each were uniquely different. The IMAX-laser presentation audio wise made me ears want to bleed – way too loud, bass was deep, the treble in the gunshots made me want to jump a foot out of my chair, surround sound felt more pronounced. At AFI, the 70mm print audio playback seemed way more constrained, and the surround sound much more subdued – the print on the other hand looked the best. At AMC Tysons, the audio was boosted and as a result gave the aural illusion it had more dynamic range.

Giles commented about AMC Loews Georgetown 14 on Nov 20, 2017 at 11:04 am

saw ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ on the Dolby Cinema screen last week and I was beyond impressed, granted the film was shot in 70mm, the DCP’s ‘Dolby Vision’ color grading looked simply gorgeous. The Dolby Atmos mix was okay not the best, but with the side walls getting audio panning, that wouldn’t be possible in 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration, the music and select sound effects gave an aural ‘wideness’ to the soundfield.

Giles commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:54 am

the ‘Justice League’ denotation on imdb is wrong, it’s 1.85 on the DCP, the IMAX ‘DCP’ and the 70mm print.

Giles commented about Landmark at 57 West on Oct 19, 2017 at 7:43 am

thanks for the answer RidetheCTrain regarding the projectors, my fingers are crossed that Landmark will indulge and splurge for these projectors for the DC NoMA theater complex next year.