Comments from Harry Rigby

Harry Rigby commented about Arts Cinema on Apr 15, 2020 at 3:17 am

The cinema was equipped for 70mm.

Harry Rigby commented about Savoy Cinema on Mar 10, 2020 at 4:16 am

It was demolished in 1994

Harry Rigby commented about Astra Cinema on Jan 31, 2020 at 8:32 am

Google Streetview shows building taking place on the site in May 2016 and by May 2018 the building is complete – shops and flats, I assume.

Harry Rigby commented about Curzon Cinema on Dec 16, 2019 at 9:04 am

According to Google Streetview it was a Tesco Express in 2009 and still is in 2019.

Harry Rigby commented about Princes Cinema on Nov 15, 2019 at 1:28 am

in 2019 it had become a private house – see uploaded photo.

Harry Rigby commented about Bijou Cinema on Jul 28, 2019 at 2:24 am

The map is wrong but the postcode is right.

Harry Rigby commented about Ritz Cinema on Apr 28, 2018 at 2:10 am

The auditorium was demolished a couple of years ago and residential accommodation built. In 2018 the foyer is being converted into flats. I understood there was already a flat above the foyer, let on a long lease.

Harry Rigby commented about Maxime Cinema on Feb 25, 2018 at 3:41 am

Somersetlive.co.uk gives the opening date as January 1921 as the Playhouse. In July 1946 the name changed to Maxime and films ceased in September 1989.

Harry Rigby commented about Mayfair Venue on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:29 am

Google StreetView has been inside the Mayfair and the pictures are excellent. Go to [www.google.co.uk/maps] and search for “Mayfair Chadwell” then drag the orange man to the street or the blue circles on the building.

Harry Rigby commented about Vogue on Dec 24, 2017 at 8:44 am

This is as the Vogue so it is likely to be in the 1970s. The neon-lit tower has already gone.

Harry Rigby commented about Rex Theatre on Aug 12, 2017 at 7:30 am

[ely.ccan.co.uk/content/tag/the-rex-cinema-ely] A page from the Cambridgeshire Community Archive Network on the Rex Ely.

Harry Rigby commented about Majestic Cinema on Jul 26, 2017 at 7:45 am

A pdf with several pages of information about the building can be downloaded at: http://dcc-live-s3.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/FH0241-Esh-Winning-Miners-Hall_opt.pdf

Harry Rigby commented about Dominion Theatre on Dec 2, 2016 at 9:04 am

January 1967

Harry Rigby commented about Regent Cinema on Oct 24, 2015 at 6:15 am

Details and a picture in the Kimberely Heritage Trail booklet at http://kimberleynow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/KHT-Full-Booklet-Low-Res.pdf

Harry Rigby commented about Crescent Cinema on Oct 11, 2015 at 1:52 am

There are some excellent pictures of the abandoned cinema on the www.oblivionstate.com website at tinyurl.com/oxzx6qv dated September 2015.

Harry Rigby commented about Empire Cinema on Aug 25, 2015 at 1:53 am

It was still standing in July 2011 but had been demolished by May 2015. Homes could be built on the site

Harry Rigby commented about Regal Darlington on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:44 am

This may be the Majestic and NOT the Regal. See https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcinemaphotos/3476588442/in/photostream/

Harry Rigby commented about Front Stalls on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:43 am

This may be the Majestic and NOT the Regal

Harry Rigby commented about Century Cinema on Mar 3, 2015 at 9:06 am

High Street was renumbered at some time so the street number for the cinema given in some sources is not relevant to the street numbers today.

Harry Rigby commented about Ritz Cinema on Feb 10, 2015 at 8:44 am

The bingo closed in 2013 and the building is now vacant.

Harry Rigby commented about Rock Cinema on Jan 21, 2015 at 9:40 am

When I visited this building in September 2006 the owner showed me inside but would not let me take interior photos, citing “security”. He tried to kid me that the ventilation grilled were some sort of early stereo sound system. [in 1914?] As surf_digby says, the building looked in good condition.

Harry Rigby commented about Majestic Cinema on Dec 10, 2014 at 6:47 am

When I took the attached photo in February 2005 it was cordoned off and preparatory work prior to demolition looked to have started. I imagine it was demolished later that year. The former swimming baths on the left was converted into an ASDA supermarket and the cinema site is the store’s car park.

Harry Rigby commented about Warwick Cinema on Oct 22, 2014 at 1:52 am

I visited this theatre in the 70s with the then manager of the Regal Leamington Spa to see a demonstration film of the Dolby sound system [mono in those days]. I think it was called “The Quiet Revolution”.

Harry Rigby commented about Picture House on Oct 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

I visited the box in the 60s. I remember the chief was a very nice lady called, I think, Florence Barton. The throw was very long and (again if my memory is correct) the backing lenses for ‘scope were 9". As a previous correspondent has said, the proscenium was so narrow they had to halve the height for scope. The chief said it was such a popular cinema that you could run a roll of tickets through the projector and still take money.

Harry Rigby commented about Godiva Cinema on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:41 am

I visited the box once. The only thing I can remember is that to get the masking from WideScreen to CinemaScope, you had to go out to 70mm first then come back in! I saw mamy 70mm films there when I lived in the area, along with the Regal Leamington.