Comments from Harry Rigby

Harry Rigby commented about Bijou Cinema on Jul 28, 2019 at 2:24 am

The map is wrong but the postcode is right.

Harry Rigby commented about Ritz Cinema on Apr 28, 2018 at 2:10 am

The auditorium was demolished a couple of years ago and residential accommodation built. In 2018 the foyer is being converted into flats. I understood there was already a flat above the foyer, let on a long lease.

Harry Rigby commented about Maxime Cinema on Feb 25, 2018 at 3:41 am

Somersetlive.co.uk gives the opening date as January 1921 as the Playhouse. In July 1946 the name changed to Maxime and films ceased in September 1989.

Harry Rigby commented about Mayfair Venue on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:29 am

Google StreetView has been inside the Mayfair and the pictures are excellent. Go to [www.google.co.uk/maps] and search for “Mayfair Chadwell” then drag the orange man to the street or the blue circles on the building.

Harry Rigby commented about Vogue on Dec 24, 2017 at 8:44 am

This is as the Vogue so it is likely to be in the 1970s. The neon-lit tower has already gone.

Harry Rigby commented about Rex Theatre on Aug 12, 2017 at 7:30 am

[ely.ccan.co.uk/content/tag/the-rex-cinema-ely] A page from the Cambridgeshire Community Archive Network on the Rex Ely.

Harry Rigby commented about Majestic Cinema on Jul 26, 2017 at 7:45 am

A pdf with several pages of information about the building can be downloaded at: http://dcc-live-s3.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/FH0241-Esh-Winning-Miners-Hall_opt.pdf

Harry Rigby commented about Dominion Theatre on Dec 2, 2016 at 9:04 am

January 1967

Harry Rigby commented about Regent Cinema on Oct 24, 2015 at 6:15 am

Details and a picture in the Kimberely Heritage Trail booklet at http://kimberleynow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/KHT-Full-Booklet-Low-Res.pdf

Harry Rigby commented about Crescent Cinema on Oct 11, 2015 at 1:52 am

There are some excellent pictures of the abandoned cinema on the www.oblivionstate.com website at tinyurl.com/oxzx6qv dated September 2015.

Harry Rigby commented about Empire Cinema on Aug 25, 2015 at 1:53 am

It was still standing in July 2011 but had been demolished by May 2015. Homes could be built on the site

Harry Rigby commented about Regal Darlington on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:44 am

This may be the Majestic and NOT the Regal. See https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcinemaphotos/3476588442/in/photostream/

Harry Rigby commented about Front Stalls on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:43 am

This may be the Majestic and NOT the Regal

Harry Rigby commented about Century Cinema on Mar 3, 2015 at 9:06 am

High Street was renumbered at some time so the street number for the cinema given in some sources is not relevant to the street numbers today.

Harry Rigby commented about Ritz Cinema on Feb 10, 2015 at 8:44 am

The bingo closed in 2013 and the building is now vacant.

Harry Rigby commented about Rock Cinema on Jan 21, 2015 at 9:40 am

When I visited this building in September 2006 the owner showed me inside but would not let me take interior photos, citing “security”. He tried to kid me that the ventilation grilled were some sort of early stereo sound system. [in 1914?] As surf_digby says, the building looked in good condition.

Harry Rigby commented about Majestic Cinema on Dec 10, 2014 at 6:47 am

When I took the attached photo in February 2005 it was cordoned off and preparatory work prior to demolition looked to have started. I imagine it was demolished later that year. The former swimming baths on the left was converted into an ASDA supermarket and the cinema site is the store’s car park.

Harry Rigby commented about Warwick Cinema on Oct 22, 2014 at 1:52 am

I visited this theatre in the 70s with the then manager of the Regal Leamington Spa to see a demonstration film of the Dolby sound system [mono in those days]. I think it was called “The Quiet Revolution”.

Harry Rigby commented about Picture House on Oct 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

I visited the box in the 60s. I remember the chief was a very nice lady called, I think, Florence Barton. The throw was very long and (again if my memory is correct) the backing lenses for ‘scope were 9". As a previous correspondent has said, the proscenium was so narrow they had to halve the height for scope. The chief said it was such a popular cinema that you could run a roll of tickets through the projector and still take money.

Harry Rigby commented about Godiva Cinema on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:41 am

I visited the box once. The only thing I can remember is that to get the masking from WideScreen to CinemaScope, you had to go out to 70mm first then come back in! I saw mamy 70mm films there when I lived in the area, along with the Regal Leamington.

Harry Rigby commented about Pavilion Cinema on Oct 19, 2014 at 8:40 am

According to the North West Evening Mail, bingo ceased in January 2012. The CTA visited in June 2008.

Harry Rigby commented about Empire Cinema on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:16 am

Photos at http://www.thorne-moorends.gov.uk/history/pictorial_history_03.html

Harry Rigby commented about Palace Cinema on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:48 am

Have adjusted the StreetView but the map is wrong. It points to the former Regent which – like the Palace – has now been demolished. Google got there first!

Harry Rigby
Harry Rigby commented about King Edward Picture House on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:17 am

Placement on map is way out. Street View adjusted to 53°48.750'N, 3°03.031'W

Harry Rigby commented about Vue Lancaster on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:11 am

it is in a pedestrian area so Street View can’t get there. it is the building past the white buiding in the view I have set it to.