Comments from HowardBHaas

Showing 1 - 25 of 2,467 comments

HowardBHaas commented about Wynne Theatre on Oct 9, 2016 at 5:37 am

Ad didn’t appear in photo section

HowardBHaas commented about Amboy Multiplex Cinemas on Sep 30, 2016 at 4:44 am

And, that’s why we try to photograph even relatively plain looking multiplexes, for history’s sake! Not been here, but I do my bit elsewhere. Thank you!

HowardBHaas commented about Curzon Mayfair on Sep 25, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I’m a lawyer in the States who saw one movie here. My auditorium photos are on this site & remain the only ones there. I know nothing of British law and don’t know what terms might be in the contract or deed the purchaser of the upstairs owner has, but I’d think whoever purchased it should’ve done their “due diligence” in advance to determine any noise issues. That is, the new owners should’ve inspected the upstairs space, and planned in advance to cover costs of soundproofing the upstairs space.

HowardBHaas commented about Curzon Mayfair on Sep 24, 2016 at 9:07 am

Let’s hope the Curzon fights to stay in this wonderful theater!

HowardBHaas commented about Paris Theatre on Sep 4, 2016 at 6:10 am

Anyone who wishes to see Howard’s End must do so soon as in its 2nd & last week. On opening night, director Ivory appeared. Website states “Come What May” (2015) opens Friday Sept 9 with Director Christian Carion & actor Matthew Rhys Q & A after the 7 PM show & with Carion after the 7 PM Saturday 9-10 show. Another movie “A Man Called Ove” starts Sept 30

HowardBHaas commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Sep 4, 2016 at 6:06 am

Very much enjoyed very good 35mm prints of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and 1969 Goodbye, Mr. Chips, both with mono sound, Chips with intermission, Friday, in aud 1, with use of red curtain, which arrived about May 2016.

HowardBHaas commented about 8-24-16 Auditorium 4 on Sep 4, 2016 at 6:04 am

one of the 2 newer auditoriums in the expansion.

HowardBHaas commented about 9-2-16 on Sep 4, 2016 at 5:53 am

35mm print, mono sound. Great print.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Museum of the Moving Image on Sep 3, 2016 at 7:36 am

my article on the 70mm film festival here http://www.in70mm.com/news/2016/new_york/index.htm

HowardBHaas commented about Uptown Theater on Sep 2, 2016 at 3:30 am

As to Ben Hur, would it have projected 2.2 aspect ratio? Would’ve lost a bit of the 2.76 aspect at left and at right?

HowardBHaas commented about Uptown Theater on Sep 2, 2016 at 3:12 am

Thank you, patryan. Were you are projectionist there?

HowardBHaas commented about Uptown Theater on Sep 1, 2016 at 5:21 am

Patryan, I had known re Fiddler on the Roof but neglected to mention it above. Are you saying that Amadeus, GWTW, and Lawrence of Arabia were all shown then in 35mm? And, that Dr Zhivago was shown 35mm? Was Fiddler on the Roof in 35mm? Was Ben Hur shown in 35mm or 70mm? I don’t think the ads or whatever were clear to me as to Ben Hur & Dr Zhivago format.

HowardBHaas commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Sep 1, 2016 at 5:17 am

Thanks! what month was the new curtain installed? I will mention it at the Intro above.

HowardBHaas commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:56 am

JodarMovieFan, my photo of old curtain is the profile photo on this page. Many colors like the auditorium, no doubt inspired by the auditorium colors. Not as photogenic as the red curtain.

HowardBHaas commented about Goldman Theatre on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:53 am

Phil Walker informs me he saw the 1968 Planet of the Apes here at the not yet twinned Goldman.

HowardBHaas commented about Uptown Theater on Aug 31, 2016 at 10:24 am

Ah, right, then For the Boys would’ve been the next release. Kwai was a faded print.

HowardBHaas commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:57 am

I was delighted to see in the main, historic auditorium, wonderful 35mm prints of Northwest Passage (1940) and Barry Lyndon (1975) on 8-20-16. I’ve posted photos of those movies on the marquee, and photo of new red curtain in the photo section. I was told new curtain installed a few months ago? Why did the original curtain have to go? Photos are better with the new red curtain.

HowardBHaas commented about Uptown Theater on Aug 28, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Coate, the 1991 film festival didn’t conclude with Dr Zhivago. On Oct 12, I saw West Side Story in 70mm. My notes of films before West Side Story (and after Dr Zhivago) are Amadeus, GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia, and though my notes don’t indicate whether 70mm or not, probably. My notes after West Side Story are For the Boys, again my notes no indicate format.

HowardBHaas commented about Seattle Cinerama on Aug 18, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Of the titles you mentioned, the last surviving 70mm print of Sleeping Beauty will be shown next month at the 70mm festival at Sommerville Theater outside of Boston. I’ve only read of Australia showing 70mm Ben Hur in recent years. El Cid had been reissued- in 35mm. This theater is showing some great titles including some not shown in the last festival. I’d love to see Apocalpse Now in 70mm! (which is included).

HowardBHaas commented about State Theatre on Aug 11, 2016 at 6:03 pm

reopened! http://www.berksmontnews.com/general-news/20160727/state-theatre-of-boyertown-readies-to-reopen?platform=hootsuite

HowardBHaas commented about Astor Theatre on Aug 9, 2016 at 10:01 am

Article about demolition- http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/northern-liberties/blighted-building-will-disappear-at-franklin-girard

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Cineworld at the Empire Theatre on Aug 9, 2016 at 9:50 am

the Haymarket could be called the Empire Haymarket. The Empire is always the Empire & it would be sacrilege to remove that name. They can call it the Cineworld Empire. I am American but visit every year.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Museum of the Moving Image on Aug 9, 2016 at 4:41 am

Bill, did you attend Saturday or Sunday? I was there Saturday. Correct super wide aspect ratio. Used curtain to open movie, for intermission & to close. Great print. Really enjoyed being there for the excellent presentation! And, visited the museum for the 1st time. Do you expect to attend 70mm screening of The Wild Bunch on Saturday or Sunday?

HowardBHaas commented about Kings Theatre on Aug 8, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Unfortunately, with almost no advertising for these special events, there would have been few people attending high priced Star Wars screening. I also would like to know more- was curtain used? was there surround sound?

HowardBHaas commented about Paris Theatre on Aug 1, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Seth, what you are speaking about? I not only couldn’t find Madre Mia on Internet as opening as this theater, but I telephoned the Paris today again, as I had last week. As stated above, Howard’s End is next.