Comments from HowardBHaas

Showing 1 - 25 of 2,260 comments

HowardBHaas commented about Paris Theatre on Dec 16, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I saw the movie the Sunday before last Sunday at the first afternoon show. It was a sold out crowd, every seat taken. I was in the balcony. There was no talking during the movie. I did see a ray of light a couple of times but that was it in terms of device using by audience.

HowardBHaas commented about Landis Theatre on Dec 14, 2014 at 3:00 pm

With photo of lit marquee, Phila Inquirer today has a story of an orchestra concert last week-

HowardBHaas commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Nov 21, 2014 at 4:32 am

JodarMovieFan, though not exactly originally the intent when photos were re allowed, yes, nobody will give you a problem if you post at the Uptown page a scan of the Post’s ad for 2001 back in ‘90. Many posts of newspaper ads have been made. I won’t be attending the 70mm West Side Story but hope it is well attended.

HowardBHaas commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Nov 20, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I thought Westwood Village movie theaters became “premiere” movie theaters in the 1960s or 1950s but not when built? i doubt they were 1st run when built. Downtown LA & Hollywood movie theaters were the 1st run until 1960s or so.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about A Tribute to Our Former Blog Editor Michael Zoldessy on Nov 15, 2014 at 12:18 am

Raysson, my understanding is cinematreasures is indeed looking to replace Michael as blog editor, as he was, pro bono, i.e. volunteer.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 14, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I enjoy the Ziegfeld surround sound, not too loud in my opinion! Couldn’t understand all the words but that was this film.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about 8 Nov 2014 from the booth by Thomas Hauerslev http://www.in70mm.com/ on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:13 pm

My typo- not “from the booth” Photo is from the stage.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Thanks, Bill, I appreciate your comment. I hope more people will decide they want to see a movie at the wonderful Ziegfeld.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Just published! My report on “Interstellar” at the Ziegfeld. Thanks to Joe Masher who commented above for the decision to employ the curtains- both of them! And, yes, let’s hope more 70mm films such as The Hateful Eight are showcased at the Ziegfeld. http://www.in70mm.com/news/2014/ziegfeld/index.htm

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I wish they’d use the curtains more but think this is only for the special 70mm screenings.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 11, 2014 at 1:26 pm

JodarMovieFan, I’ve not seen that 70mm short/trailer. It might be neat to see it at classic 70mm film festivals such as at the AFI Silver.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:41 am

There was no “preshow” at the Ziegfeld until Clearview, the last operator before now. Even with a preshow, the curtains were still used. I last saw them used in 2009, for “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince” I didn’t visit until 2012 as I was seeing movies that were still projected in 35mm elsewhere. I very much like sitting there looking at the closed curtain, so I was also quite happy on Saturday as the curtain was closed for awhile before the preshow began. And, on Saturday, after the preshow, the audience applauded when the curtains closed. The curtains then reopened…and the 70mm show began.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about REG United Artists Pennsauken on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I do not know whether it showed 70mm.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about 8 Nov 2014 from the booth by Thomas Hauerslev http://www.in70mm.com/ on Nov 9, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thomas tells me that’s actually the movie screen on both sides.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 9, 2014 at 5:05 am

I was there 3:45 PM. No scraches. Gorgeous print. Great surround sound. Curtains used before & after movie.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about A Tribute to Our Former Blog Editor Michael Zoldessy on Nov 5, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Michael did an awesome job with Homepage News for years! On occasion I emailed him suggested stories and on occasion he asked my permission to use my photos. He was always very polite, very nice, and very supportive of historic preservation of cinemas and of this website.

Somebody please step to the plate for this important task so this wonderful website can have this great feature!

HowardBHaas commented about City Line Center Theatre on Nov 5, 2014 at 6:30 am

Kevanos, thank you for the improvement! I had noticed the recent prior link didn’t hold up well on HD computer. This is so much better. I saw an image of the larger auditorium 1 screen. To show scope films did it expand left & right or was it narrowed from top & bottom from masking? Can you estimate the screen’s height & how wide (at its widest, for a scope film)? I’d welcome a screenshot of that screen & auditorium. Other than the screen, it is very nice to see all the other details in the improved video.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about 1 Nov 2014 NFI # 1, sold out for Brazil with Terry Gilliam Q & A, photographed by Howard B. Haas on Nov 4, 2014 at 11:34 pm

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about MacArthur Theater talkback event on Oct 23, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Facebook says this & also that it is Free! Join us on October 28th as we kick off “Going to the Movies” Oral history event. We will be discussing and reminiscing about the old Macarthur Theater, which hosted the premiere of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The event includes a wine and cheese reception followed by a lecture with Dr. Robert K Headley. Dr. Headley is the author of Motion Picture Exhibitions in Washington, DC: An Illustrated History of Parlors, Palaces and Multiplexes in the Metropolitan Area, 1894 – 1997. This discussion is presented by the DC Independent Film Festival with support from the Humanities Council of Washington DC.

The event is on the 28th at Palisades Community Church, 5200 Cathedral Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20016. Reception is at 6:30 with the lecture to begin at 7:10.

HowardBHaas commented about MacArthur Theater on Oct 23, 2014 at 11:36 pm

see this site’s Homepage News today for Oct 28 event regarding this theater.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:13 am

As to aspect ratio, The Master was 1.85 “flat” but 70mm was commonly 2.20 not 2.35 (scope)though a few early 70mm films half a century ago were even wider.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Gothamist names NYC's best on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:00 pm

My favorites are the Paris, which is on the list, and the Ziegfeld which should be on the list.

HowardBHaas commented about MacArthur Theater on Oct 14, 2014 at 11:57 pm

My notes indicate the KB Cinema had 24 speakers. That’s likely from an old newspaper article, but I might have also counted them up on the walls.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 7, 2014 at 10:05 pm

THIS is the Ziegfeld page, where masking is used. For complaints on lack of masking in newer or redone theaters, please post on those pages.

HowardBHaas commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 6, 2014 at 11:01 pm

It is a 4k projector but I don’t know what model. In all films, surround sound comes from Ziegfeld’s surround speakers. NO surround during my screening of The Master. I would’ve heard the ocean & so forth! Gone Girl’s audio was a special treat.