Comments from HowardBHaas

Showing 1 - 25 of 2,450 comments

HowardBHaas commented about Uptown Theater on Aug 28, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Coate, the 1991 film festival didn’t conclude with Dr Zhivago. On Oct 12, I saw West Side Story in 70mm. My notes of films before West Side Story (and after Dr Zhivago) are Amadeus, GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia, and though my notes don’t indicate whether 70mm or not, probably. My notes after West Side Story are For the Boys, again my notes no indicate format.

HowardBHaas commented about Seattle Cinerama on Aug 18, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Of the titles you mentioned, the last surviving 70mm print of Sleeping Beauty will be shown next month at the 70mm festival at Sommerville Theater outside of Boston. I’ve only read of Australia showing 70mm Ben Hur in recent years. El Cid had been reissued- in 35mm. This theater is showing some great titles including some not shown in the last festival. I’d love to see Apocalpse Now in 70mm! (which is included).

HowardBHaas commented about State Theatre on Aug 11, 2016 at 9:03 pm

reopened! http://www.berksmontnews.com/general-news/20160727/state-theatre-of-boyertown-readies-to-reopen?platform=hootsuite

HowardBHaas commented about Astor Theatre on Aug 9, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Article about demolition- http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/northern-liberties/blighted-building-will-disappear-at-franklin-girard

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Cineworld Empire Leicester Square on Aug 9, 2016 at 12:50 pm

the Haymarket could be called the Empire Haymarket. The Empire is always the Empire & it would be sacrilege to remove that name. They can call it the Cineworld Empire. I am American but visit every year.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Museum of the Moving Image on Aug 9, 2016 at 7:41 am

Bill, did you attend Saturday or Sunday? I was there Saturday. Correct super wide aspect ratio. Used curtain to open movie, for intermission & to close. Great print. Really enjoyed being there for the excellent presentation! And, visited the museum for the 1st time. Do you expect to attend 70mm screening of The Wild Bunch on Saturday or Sunday?

HowardBHaas commented about Kings Theatre on Aug 8, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Unfortunately, with almost no advertising for these special events, there would have been few people attending high priced Star Wars screening. I also would like to know more- was curtain used? was there surround sound?

HowardBHaas commented about Paris Theatre on Aug 1, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Seth, what you are speaking about? I not only couldn’t find Madre Mia on Internet as opening as this theater, but I telephoned the Paris today again, as I had last week. As stated above, Howard’s End is next.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Museum of the Moving Image on Jul 28, 2016 at 1:07 pm

At the museum’s Facebook page, the reply was that Khartoum will be shown in the right aspect ratio, which is rare & super wide!

HowardBHaas commented about Nitehawk Cinema on Jul 25, 2016 at 8:03 am

article about this one, http://observer.com/2016/07/at-boutique-brooklyn-cinema-a-list-directors-help-promote-dying-art-form/

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Museum of the Moving Image on Jul 24, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Thanks, Bill. Khartoum is being shown in 70mm. I saw it at the AFI Silver in correct 2.76 aspect ratio & wouldn’t mind seeing it again but would think theater show it in 2.76 aspect ratio?

HowardBHaas commented about Girard Theatre on Jul 21, 2016 at 9:21 am

For sale by grocery store owner, article has interior photos- https://spiritnews.org/articles/what-is-that-a-look-inside-girard-theater-625-w-girard-ave/

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Museum of the Moving Image on Jul 18, 2016 at 7:23 pm

There is another 70mm film festival this summer. I’ve not been here. Does the Redstone theater use a curtain before & after films or at least for classic 70mm screenings?

HowardBHaas commented about MacArthur Theater on Jul 13, 2016 at 8:28 am

Liked this theater but was only there 2ce. JodarMovieFan, looking at that video, no room for marquee to say 70mm.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Jul 11, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Living in DC when it opened, I attended a movie “Broadcast News” here one week after it opened. I’m glad, JodarMovieFan, that I photographed it the year before it closed as my 4 photos are still the only ones on this page. I was there then to see “Munich”

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas commented about Savoy Theatre 1211 Market St on Jul 7, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Top Hat is playing

HowardBHaas commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Jul 5, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Yes, in your 11:05 AM post, I realized you mean CDS to be cinema digital sound. I’m more used to the brands & to my knowledge, DTS was the 1st, with Jurassic Park, which I saw at the Uptown.

HowardBHaas commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Jul 5, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Digital sound (DTS) was ushered in with Jurassic Park, not earlier. What’s “CDS”?

HowardBHaas commented about Ritz Center 16 on Jun 27, 2016 at 6:49 pm

So far as I can tell online, the AMC purchase of Carmike hasn’t completed yet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmike_Cinemas

HowardBHaas commented about Regency I & II on Jun 15, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Blog with 1983 photo http://willceau.com/news/2016/03/12/never-say-never-again/

HowardBHaas commented about Eric's Place Theatre on Jun 10, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Movie theater floor plan: http://www.tbrg.net/listings/1519_chestnut.pdf

HowardBHaas commented about Boston University Theatre on Jun 9, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Wonderful!

HowardBHaas commented about Boyd Theatre on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:34 am

Added yesterday the month & day of the additional auditoriums in 1982 & 1985 to the Intro. Would add more info such as opening films if anyone researches that.

HowardBHaas commented about Goldman Theatre on May 30, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Phil Walker commented today at (Friends of the Boyd) Facebook as to the Goldman & the auditorium’s sconces- It was sad when the room was twinned and the existing walls (and fixtures) were painted white (they were a forest green)

HowardBHaas commented about Newtown Theatre on May 30, 2016 at 7:46 am

Yesterday, I enjoyed “The Man Who Knew Infinity” from the balcony. Digital projection was great! I knew the balcony doesn’t have surround speakers but sound was very good. Sightlines from the balcony are terrific. The screen looks very large.