Showing 1 - 25 of 685 comments
Civilian Conservation Corps…a Roosevelt job-creation agency during the Great Depression.
To clarify: Duggan & Huff the architects of the 1910 structure; Barnes the architect of the 1939 remodel.
Theatre was remodeled in 1939; architect of this was Bruce F. Barnes. Theatre had closed in May 1938; reopened in April 1939. With new seats the capacity was listed as 925.
The theatre building is not the building at the corner but the white building just up Union.
Anyone want to start a new website: Legitimate Theatre Treasures?
Notice that Bret Eddy drew this; this means this is from a publication of the Theatre Historical Society.
The final use of the theatre was a three-day run of the Russian film “Chapayev.” The run ended October 1, 1935.
A demolition permit was issued in December 1948 with actual razing occurring in December 1949.
The architect of the theatre was G. Albert Lansburgh.
Rapp & Rapp designed the office building which housed the theatre.
Labor Day in 1917 was September 3rd.
Theatre opened August 8, 1940. Theatre did not “become” an African-American theatre; it always was.
Any identification of the organist? It is not Stan Kann.
Theatre was listed in the 1956 Film Daily Year Book.
Interesting that a non-Disney film gets “top billing” on the El Cap’s homepage.
About 10-12 blocks away.
Photo dates from November, 1930.
A few of the comments refer to this theatre as the Park. When did the name change occur?
The neighboring space is where office building stands. It opened in mid-1924.
A full-blown afternoon of Wurlitzer organ is scheduled for Sunday August 13th, 2017 at 2PM. As two years ago the program features Jack Moelmann, this time with Dave Wickerham and Justin LaVoie also at the console. A rare opportunity to hear the instrument in something besides the 15-minute snapshot included in some of the tours.
Opening ad copy: “Opening Tonight, May 3rd, with Eddie Cantor in ‘The Kid From Spain.’ Owned and Operated by Edward Bischoff, James Wilson, Wallace Kieselhorst.”
Theatre opened Jan. 10, 1914. Last night of operation was Dec. 1, 1946. Architect was John Paulus. Seating capacity was 575.
A few errors in the overview. Theatre did not open in 1937, but on March 21, 1942. There was no fire in 1947. Theatre ceased operation on May 13, 1956, not in 1955.
Theatre was built by Meyer Brothers and Pracht who were operating the Knickerbocker Theatre at the time.
Opening year should be 1926, not 1916. The building permit for the structure was issued in August 1925 and theatre opened for business on February 1, 1926. The architect of the original structure was Preston Bradshaw.
The theatre was a little more than half-way out the block, around where the roof sign reading “Globe” is seen.
Theatre was open as early as May 1932 as the CARDINAL, with a newspaper ad appearing in the Post-Dispatch. Theatre was renamed the JANET and, as such, opened on April 23, 1938. The Arthur chain did not operate this theatre.