Comments from JeffS

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on May 4, 2012 at 7:16 am

Bill, you should expect every classic presentation to be in DCP from this point on. Film for classic films is dead.

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Oct 22, 2011 at 6:37 am

I have photos of the booth. I’ve uploaded them.

JeffS commented about Colony Theatre on Jun 5, 2011 at 5:56 am

The Colony Theater was operated by my grandfather, Joseph DeMeo from the time of it’s opening near the end of the silent era until his death in the early 1970s. My grandparents had a bungalow a short walk from the theater, right on the beach, and I spent many many summer evenings up in the projection booth with Eddy Quinn, who was my grandfather’s projectionist for the entire time of operation (during the closed months, the union assigned Eddy work elsewhere). I rewound many a film, and performed numerous changeovers there. It was a great place to be. My mom, when she was growing up, would glue slap movie posters to the side of the building on the “now playing” and “coming soon” boards. Mom says the theater ran silent films when it opened (with a piano in the front), and went to sound a few years later. During the closed months, my grandfather ran an audio-visual business, “The Motion Picture Projection Service” in Brooklyn, showing educational and industrial films for clients such as The Bell System.

The building was painted green during my years and had three turbine ventilators at the peak of the roof. The screen was simply attached to the distant wall, no stage, no curtains. Seats were on a flat concrete floor. It was very sparse inside. It wasn’t meant to be a palace, nor did it pretend to be.

We have talked of going back for a visit, but the the area is a gated community (always was) and my chances of getting in there are close to nil. After 40 years, nobody probably remembers my grandfather ran the place, or perhaps that it even was a theater.

JeffS commented about Montauk Theatre on May 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I posted a picture of the demolition today:

JeffS commented about Dover Theater on May 8, 2011 at 6:30 am

Now demolished. I was down there on Friday. The mall building that the theater was in is gone, and the land already being reconfigured for another complex of some sort. The Marquee still stands on County 166, but I don’t know if it will remain.

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Apr 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I remember seeing The Crimson Ghost…

Yes, and I remember loudly declaring “WHAT??? OH COME ON…” at the end of the last chapter when we were presented with the preposterous ending and solution that we sat 13 weeks through… It was a disappointment, and quite funny, to say the least. At least others sitting near me though it was funny!

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Feb 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm

None!

I definitely agree with “Ben-Hur” and “How The West Was Won”.

One personal favorite I want to see is “The Best Years of Our Lives”.

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Feb 20, 2011 at 3:45 pm

West Side Story was there two years ago.

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 13, 2010 at 4:20 am

A “silver screen” is brighter than a matte screen, as long as you’re sitting in the reflection cone. If you’re out side the cone (side seats for instance) your image may look dimer. A silver screen is a reflective screen with a positive gain (a matte screen is 1.0, or 1.1 at best) so the image is brighter.

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:43 am

Vito:

Correct, “taken seriously”. Precautions. Proper handling.

Whenever you read an article today about nitrate, it’s given the impression it’s like nitro-glycerin and will explode if you look at it wrong.

I have some nitrate in my collection, and my Simplex projector was designed to run nitrate and has all the safety devices: magazines, fire rollers, fire shutter. Plus some extra measures I added, such as electronic sensors to detect breakage and electrically operated lamp house douser to cut the light off immediately. I’ve also tested my machine to see how long it takes to ignite film in the gate “just in case” it every happened (about 8-10 seconds). On the occasions I run nitrate, I treat it with kit gloves and work slowly.
I check the film on regular intervals to make sure it’s still in viable condition. I typically do a “dark” run of the film ahead of time to make sure it’s running properly. Splices have been checked and mended/taped if necessary.

There is one last thing, the stuff looks wonderful on the screen! The image quality is outstanding.

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:10 am

The only part of that story that is a little over exaggerated is the part about the nitrate. It seems that whenever the press writes something about nitrate film, they act as if it’s as dangerous as exposed plutonium and the world would have ended had we not stopped using it! Sure it’s dangerous, but not like they write. It’s like handling gasoline. Flammable yes, but safe when properly handled.

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Busy weekend, eh Pete?

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:32 am

Unfortunately I can’t make it. See you next week. Here’s wishing you another successful season.

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:15 am

I’ve seen the 3D system, and the picture was great. Why go to a black box at the crowded mall when you can come to a movie palace with STYLE and comfort, and get the same thing, for a few bucks less too!

JeffS commented about Teaneck Cinemas on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

I can verify what Pete says. Anything can go wrong with a 35mm projector or it’s support systems at any time. It’s unfortunate, but it happens. I’ve had it happen to me, and I’ve been a venues where it has happened during a show.

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Go for it Bill!

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Yes, let Bill do it! He’d love that.

He’s done it at the Lafayette.

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:59 am

I’m always interested.

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Dec 27, 2009 at 10:59 am

Thanks for posting links to my photos.

Pete, I still have to email these to you. Sorry, it’s been busy.

Here’s the link to the set so you can view them in order:

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 23, 2009 at 9:41 am

If you remember, when we were at LOA, I did get up to complain. It was acknowledged that they knew of the problem and could do nothing about it. I was given passes for a future show, that had a expiration life of TWO WEEKS, remember? For someone that doesn’t live in the city, and makes a 40 mile trek to see a rarely shown film in it’s original format, that was a pretty disappointing way to handle it.

I know exactly how you feel because I know you and how you feel about films.

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 23, 2009 at 9:11 am

Lowered the volume? What about the entire film being out of sync, remember?

JeffS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 23, 2009 at 9:09 am

If it was digital, I suspect there is no aperture plate as there is on a 35mm projector. It sounds like a zoom ratio was off. Remember he said it was 2:35 inside the 1:85 screen.

Besides, if you left the 1.85 plate in on a scope film, you’d have some serious cropping! You’d loose a lot of image on top/bottom and you’d have black bars at screen top/bottom.

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Yea, I remember that. Then the license terms on Thief of Baghdad changed and they couldn’t get it back again for a reschedule. What are the chances of that?

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Thank for the report Bill. I’m glad you made it. Thanks to a cold, I’ve missed two great films now.

JeffS commented about Lafayette Theatre on Sep 18, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Some pictures, from this evening: