Comments from jhuber1111

Showing 7 comments

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Lyon Theatre on Jan 14, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Yes, I’ve look for a photo of it but no luck thus far. The manager you mentioned was Miss Wilma or Wilmer or something like that. Wish I could recall her full name. Some of us unruly teenagers gave her a fit back in the 60s. Wish she was still around so I could apologize. I’m not exactly sure when it closed, 1967 could be right. It was still open in 1966 when I finished High School at Waverly. The building was vacant for years but was torn down a long time ago. There is a public parking lot on the site.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Ginter Theater on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’m not sure how the photo got there. In the background is the Wine shop at 4009 MacArthur Ave. According to “Celebrate Richmond Theater” by Kathrine Fuller-Seeley, the Ginter was at 4011 Rappahannock (now MacArthur) Ave.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Lyon Theatre on Sep 17, 2012 at 8:29 am

I can’t figure out how to edit my original post of the Lyon Theater. The location was about half a block southwest of what shows in the photo, across Mayfield Ave. from the drug store. The seating capacity is just a guess. But it was a small theater with a balcony for African American patrons.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Sunset Drive-In on Aug 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm

During the summer of 1974, I worked in Tazewell. I remember this drive-in was open. One of the features was a film called “Preacher Man Meets Widow Woman.” I certainly couldn’t forget a classic like that!

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Carrsville Drive-In on Jul 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

It was open as late as the summer of 1972. I remember seeing a movie there at that time…

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about State Theatre on Jul 29, 2012 at 10:08 am

I remember going to movies here while I was a student at Elon College in the late 1960s.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Lyon's State Theatre on Jul 29, 2012 at 9:42 am

Anyone know when it stopped being used as a theater? I remember going there in the mid-70s with a special young lady. Even then it seemed a bit of an anachronism – a single screen in the middle of a small town. Thank you for posting this, brings back good memories!