Comments from jhuber1111

Showing 8 comments

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Westhampton Theater on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:52 am

That is sad news, there have been rumors it would close for several years. But it is still open at the moment and I urge anyone who hasn’t been there to go and check it out before it closes. There are some wonderful architectural details inside. This theater has anchored this vibrant neighborhood for over 75 years and it will be sorely missed.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Lyon Theatre on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Yes, I’ve look for a photo of it but no luck thus far. The manager you mentioned was Miss Wilma or Wilmer or something like that. Wish I could recall her full name. Some of us unruly teenagers gave her a fit back in the 60s. Wish she was still around so I could apologize. I’m not exactly sure when it closed, 1967 could be right. It was still open in 1966 when I finished High School at Waverly. The building was vacant for years but was torn down a long time ago. There is a public parking lot on the site.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Ginter Theater on Sep 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I’m not sure how the photo got there. In the background is the Wine shop at 4009 MacArthur Ave. According to “Celebrate Richmond Theater” by Kathrine Fuller-Seeley, the Ginter was at 4011 Rappahannock (now MacArthur) Ave.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Lyon Theatre on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:29 am

I can’t figure out how to edit my original post of the Lyon Theater. The location was about half a block southwest of what shows in the photo, across Mayfield Ave. from the drug store. The seating capacity is just a guess. But it was a small theater with a balcony for African American patrons.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Sunset Drive-In on Aug 13, 2012 at 8:10 pm

During the summer of 1974, I worked in Tazewell. I remember this drive-in was open. One of the features was a film called “Preacher Man Meets Widow Woman.” I certainly couldn’t forget a classic like that!

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Carrsville Drive-In on Jul 29, 2012 at 7:58 pm

It was open as late as the summer of 1972. I remember seeing a movie there at that time…

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about State Theatre on Jul 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I remember going to movies here while I was a student at Elon College in the late 1960s.

jhuber1111
jhuber1111 commented about Lyon's State Theatre on Jul 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Anyone know when it stopped being used as a theater? I remember going there in the mid-70s with a special young lady. Even then it seemed a bit of an anachronism – a single screen in the middle of a small town. Thank you for posting this, brings back good memories!