Comments from Jay Harvey

Jay Harvey commented about Jur Drive-In on Jul 22, 2015 at 12:25 am

Thank you! Wish I could find more. I talk to locals all the time to find out as much info as I can. It fascinates me that my little hometown actually had a drive in! I walk the land a couple times a year, hoping I’ll find something new.

Jay Harvey commented about Jur Drive-In on Jul 21, 2015 at 12:44 am

Today I talked to the owner of the land that the Jur used to sit on. He showed me the exact spot where the screen tower was at. It used to sit in front of a large pine tree. I went to the area and took a few photos. You can make out a couple of spots of the remaining concrete. He purchased the land 10 years ago and told me that the pylons that held the screen was all that was left when he purchased the land, the concession stand & snack bar were long gone as was the screen itself. He had the pylons bulldozed and buried just a few years ago.

Jay Harvey commented about Plymouth Drive-In on Jul 8, 2015 at 12:45 am

wonder if there are any old one sheets laying around inside the tower? I don’t think I would be brave enough to venture in to find out. Probably guarded by rats lol

Jay Harvey commented about Dowerin Drive-In on Jul 8, 2015 at 12:35 am

wow! someone should take pictures while its still there!

Jay Harvey commented about Meadow Bridge Drive-In on Jun 9, 2015 at 12:32 am

Snack bar is very cheap too. Wide variety of snacks!

Jay Harvey commented about Meadow Bridge Drive-In on Jun 7, 2015 at 11:17 pm

No wonder this one is still open, it’s waaaayyyy out in the country. Kind of hard to find & very small. Well kept & clean though.

Jay Harvey commented about Cur Dan Bri Cinema on Jun 4, 2015 at 12:46 am

This was the first theatre owned by Curtis McCall, owner of the Marquee Cinemas chain. It got its name from the first 3 letters of his name followed by his 2 siblings.

Jay Harvey commented about France Avenue Drive-In on Jun 4, 2015 at 12:21 am

Wow, equipped for 70mm films!

Jay Harvey commented about International Drive-In on May 19, 2015 at 12:07 am

Doesn’t even look like the land was used immediately for retail shops. Nature was overtaking the land for a few years at least according to the aerial photo.

Jay Harvey commented about Tower from rear on May 12, 2015 at 12:03 am

That is one humongous tower!

Jay Harvey commented about Twilight Drive-In on May 6, 2015 at 12:32 am

I used to visit family in and around this area in the early to mid 90’s. Don’t ever remember seeing any remains of this drive in.

Jay Harvey
Jay Harvey commented about Demolition of the Van Nuys Drive-In Theatre on Apr 29, 2015 at 12:24 am

sad. I hate to see the demolition of a mighty screen tower

Jay Harvey commented about Bangor Drive-In on Apr 9, 2015 at 11:51 pm

nice article!

Jay Harvey
Jay Harvey commented about Ad from Chicago Sun-times July 17, 1980 Thursday newspaper on Apr 8, 2015 at 12:01 am

J.J. Walker in a cameo role lol

Jay Harvey commented about Interior shot on Mar 24, 2015 at 11:12 pm

One of the best drive in photos I’ve seen on CT

Jay Harvey commented about Lancaster Drive-In on Mar 23, 2015 at 11:51 pm

I’ve seen Spies Like Us a hundred or so times since it’s release, I had forgotten all about the drive in scene. I’ll have to check out my blu ray tonight lol

Jay Harvey commented about Corral Drive In on Mar 23, 2015 at 11:37 pm

amazing that 2 competing drive ins were able to co-exist side by side in the 50’s & 60’s. Multiplexes don’t even do that today!

Jay Harvey commented about Arapaho Road Drive-In on Feb 11, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Very nice story billfig. Yes, I find the inside of those old screen towers creepy too, even at my age of 43 lol. I went inside a couple over the years and there are usually large rats and birds nesting inside. It is cool sometimes to find old posters though!

Jay Harvey commented about 231 Drive-In on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:10 am

Looks like it held more than 200 cars too

Jay Harvey commented about Sahara Drive-In on Jan 11, 2015 at 9:58 pm

My brother and I lived in Texas in the summer of 1991 & one day we went looking for this drive in, Midnight Cowboy was our favorite movie. Never did find it, but we found Big Springs Hardware, which Joe Buck walks by at the beginning. The owner of the hardware store said that Jon Voight and some of the crew were amazed that you could walk in any store there and purchase a gun just like anything else with no problems!

Jay Harvey commented about Circle Drive-In on Jan 10, 2015 at 12:10 am

very nice pictures trailerjoh, would love to see the condition of the screen tower now!

Jay Harvey commented about Biscoe Drive-In on Dec 29, 2014 at 11:54 pm

wow, a road going right through the middle of the drive-in!

Jay Harvey commented about Galva Autovue Drive-In on Dec 17, 2014 at 12:02 am

a very small screen

Jay Harvey commented about Mercury Theater on Dec 2, 2014 at 12:14 am

such a grand & majestic looking theatre. why must they be demolished for “progress?”

Jay Harvey commented about Carman Drive-In on Nov 30, 2014 at 11:46 pm