Comments from Joseph Angier

Showing 21 comments

Joseph Angier commented about Burnside Theatre on Aug 14, 2019 at 4:58 pm

This must have been 1948, right before movie attendance its inexorable plummeting. By the time I moved to Burnside Ave. in 1963, this theater was deserted.

Joseph Angier commented about Jerome Theatre on Aug 14, 2019 at 4:46 pm

Even a second-run, working-class theater like the Art was designed for a special night out

Joseph Angier commented about Movieland on Jun 24, 2019 at 7:18 pm

And Griffith only had one more feature in him – the even less successful “The Struggle” (which I think opened at the Rivoli)

Joseph Angier commented about Valentine Theatre on Oct 31, 2018 at 12:18 am

I went to the Valentine in the ‘60s, and my memory is that they always (or almost always) broke up the film with an intermission, no matter how short it was

Joseph Angier commented about Art East Cinema on Jul 10, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Also, “Dodes'ka-den” premiered at the First Avenue Screening Room in 1974. It was a sign of how far Akira Kurosawa’s reputation had fallen that a) it took four years for this movie to get shown in the U.S., and b) it could only get a showing in this incredibly tiny theater with a tiny screen.

Joseph Angier commented about Art East Cinema on Jul 10, 2018 at 1:57 pm

“The Harder They Come” (which went on to become a classic) premiered at the First Avenue Screening Room. At the time, few of us knew about this Jamaican music known as ‘reggae.’ or had even heard of Jimmy Cliff.

Joseph Angier commented about Beekman Theatre on Jul 10, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Trivia question: I think (but I’m not sure) that he high-rise that these theaters are located in is where the Jill Clayburgh character lived in “An Unmarried Woman”

Joseph Angier
Joseph Angier commented about Fillmore East corner view on Mar 11, 2018 at 1:17 pm

This is a photo of people (including me somewhere) lined for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young tickets – April or May of 1970

Joseph Angier commented about Art Theatre on Feb 1, 2018 at 10:31 pm

I’m confused here. The Art Theater that I went to in the 1960s was on Tremont and Jerome. Is this a different theater on Southern Blvd. with the same name?

Joseph Angier
Joseph Angier commented about Loew's Fairmount Theatre on Oct 10, 2017 at 1:50 pm

The Fairmount was about 2 to 3 miles northeast of Yankee Stadium. I lived equidistant between them

Joseph Angier commented about Heights Theater on Aug 30, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I lived near this theater in the early ‘60s. Wasn’t the Heights the local “arthouse” theater? I remember my father taking me there to see British films

Joseph Angier commented about Coliseum Cinemas on Aug 30, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Good question. Is it possible that a theater like the RKO Coliseum had stereo sound in ‘56? I doubt it, but maybe?

Joseph Angier commented about Broadway Theatre on Aug 30, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Where on Broadway was this theater?

Joseph Angier commented about Coliseum Cinemas on Aug 30, 2017 at 2:30 pm

We should really bring back the word “ballyhoo”!

Joseph Angier commented about Paramount Theatre on Jul 10, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I know that there used to be 24 hour theaters in New York and L.A., but I wonder how often it was done as a way of accommodating huge crowds (The Godfather) or as a promotional gimmick, like this one?

Joseph Angier commented about Victoria Theatre on Jun 17, 2017 at 5:10 pm

I started going to the Victoria in the late ‘60s, and I recall that it had an unusual auditorium. The rear of the orchestra started high and then sloped downward (similar, in a way, to today’s “stadium seating”), but then raked upward again as it got the front rows, which was bizarre. Does anyone else remember the Victoria this way?

Joseph Angier commented about Rialto Theatre on Jun 17, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Wow and wow! This theater was not only beautiful, but played host to the premieres of some of our greatest films, including “Freaks.” I love all the pictures and comments on this site

Joseph Angier commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on Nov 7, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Was this the first time that patrons were told to come on time to a movie? Previously, all the ad would say was something like “Continuously from 10:30 AM. Come before 11:00 PM and see a whole show”

Joseph Angier commented about 1974 on Nov 7, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Wow! Totally for got about this blaxploitation gem. Lino Ventura and Isaac Hayes together in the same movie! (Of course, I’ve never forgotten the DeMille)

Joseph Angier commented about Art East Cinema on Jun 18, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Interesting. I don’t recall the First Avenue Screening Room being renamed York Cinema, but I do remember a York Cinema from the 1960s a few blocks uptown, at about 64th St. (on the same side of First Avenue). That York Cinema was a revival house owned and operated by Warner LeRoy, until he used the space to expand his then-booming restaurant – Maxwell’s Plum.

Joseph Angier commented about RKO Fordham Theatre on Jan 8, 2008 at 4:25 pm

RKO11 … I too remember both Davis and Crawford appearing together on stage during the “Baby Jane” run. I’m only about 95 percent sure of that, becasue I was 9 years old. I usually went to the movies on Saturday kiddie matinees, but that night my father took me first to where he was voting (November … Election Day!), then to the RKO Coliseum in Washington Heights. I also remember that it was a double bill with “Count of Monte Cristo,” which they interrupted when the stars appeared. No Baby Jane doll for me either.