Showing 2 comments
The Plaza Cinerama was the only proper widescreen in Dublin to watch “2001: A Space Odyssey”.
The first Classic Cinema was one kilometre to the south on Rathfarnham Road, just south of Terenure Crossroads. The building at 17 Rathfarnham Road, Terenure now houses a garden and landscape centre, and Terenure Enterprise Centre. It is on the west side of the road between Beechlawn Way and Cormac Terrace. It is marked at the top by a large plaque stating “1938”.
This first Classic Cinema operated until 1976. When it closed, the manager bought the lease on The Kenilworth Cinema on Harold’s Cross Road and took The Classic’s name with him. He opened his own second Classic Cinema there in October 1976.