Comments from Jorge

Jorge commented about Channelside Cinemas 10 on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:58 pm

During its Regal days, the IMAX at Channelside was THEE best movie experience in Tampa…recall seeing the likes of Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Matrix Revolutions, Robots and The Polar Express along with several IMAX 3D features. I recall it also showing a lot of independent films at one point. I made an effort to see ‘Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust’ theatrically here, which was a great experience!

Went back there to see Megamind so my kids could experience true IMAX only to discover it got turned into a “Sony Giant Screen”…they charged the same IMAX price and the picture barely filled 60% of the heldover IMAX screen, I was SO dissapointed. Hate to say this, but it comes as no surprise it is closed, that Channelside shopping plaza is dying a slow death.

Jorge commented about UA Crossbay on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm

@Warren G. Harris: The Cityline is under ‘The Earl’ or just ‘Earl’ in Brooklyn on CT. One of my “home” theaters in my youth as well.

Jorge commented about Muvico Parisian 20 & IMAX on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Wow..can’t believe all the negative talk about this theater here! I’ll admit the outside isn’t anything spectacular, but inside it was GORGEOUS and GRAND! I love the entrances to each theater, complete with curtain, etc.

Jorge commented about Twin Bays 4 on Jun 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I recall seeing quite a few movies here for $1 back when I was still new to the area (1995-1997). My fondest memory was a second date with my (now) wife, we went to see Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight, we wanted to go see a movie, but nothing of interest was playing in the first run theaters, so we hit the Twin Bays. I think we had our first kiss this same night, sealing our fates forever (yikes). We been married 14 years now!

Jorge commented about Carmike Main Street 6 on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

This is good news & bad news…good news in that there is NO immediate movie theater in the vicinity & it’ll be nice to have one there. BAD news in that one of the best & most popular pubs in Carrollwood will be sacrificed for it…O'Briens.

Jorge commented about Tampa Bay Mall Cinema I & II on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I remember first moving into the TB area & my mom practically FORCING me to see ‘The Little Mermaid’ at this theater because of my sister’s insistance (I was already 15)…reluctant as I was, I ended up really LIKING it (eeep) & wouldn’t ya know it, Disney’s new Golden Age of animation was born with this film. The theater closed a few short months later and recall it becoming a Suncoast Video Store.

Jorge commented about David Falk Memorial Theater on Sep 2, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I drove by this theater yesterday on my way to pre-screen ‘Machete’ at the AMC Westshore 14…I knew it’d be listed on this great site with a bit of history!

Jorge commented about University Mall 16 on Sep 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Last movie I watched there was ‘Saw III’. I was on a date & hadn’t been there in quite a few years…let’s just say the patrons in that place were scarier then what was on-screen…the area has really gone down hill and I’m not surprised they decided to close.

I do recall seeing ‘Fifth Element’ in Earth Shattering Surround Sound on the weekend it was released…I was practically DEAF when the movie finished…AWESOME!

R.I.P. University 16…this will likely hurt the mall even further.

Jorge
Jorge commented about Could the 3D fad die like it did during the 50's? on Apr 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Personally, I think Hollywood has NO idea what moviemakers really want. They “assume” because movies like Avatar & Alice In Wonderland raked in millions in 3D box office receipts, people are just attending these movies for the 3D aspect! I know people who saw both based on the filmmakers (Cameron & Burton respectively). Hollywood is churning out dozens more 3D flicks and it WILL get tired..I don’t necessarily see it “going away”, but it WILL get to the point where a new 3D movie coming out every 2 weeks might die down (I didn’t mind when it was once every 2 months).

Jorge
Jorge commented about Price increases for 3-D movies in effect today on Mar 26, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Wow..given the fact that 3D will be an IN-HOME feature in the very near future (tested the 3D TV’s at the Sony Store & they look GREAT!..almost as good as Real 3D), not sure if that was the wisest decision. I am dissapointed Hollywood has become such greedy bas***s! Glad I kept about 6+ Real 3D glasses to “recycle” whenever I want to sneak into a 3D movie!

Jorge commented about BAM Harvey Theater on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Please forgive my ignorance…but I just finished watching “the Curious Case of Benjamin Button” for the 1st time, in it there is a reference to “The Majestic” in New York City (Cate Blanchett’s character dances there)…the only one in NYC I fuond is THIS one & one that closed int he 20s…is this the one referenced in that movie? Sure looks like it from the pics.

Jorge
Jorge commented about Gusman Center for the Performing Arts on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:24 am

Here is a music video which was filmed in this majestic theater (note: song in spanish by international artist Chayanne):

Here is a short ‘making of’…you can really appreciate the theater in this vid since its in glorious color.

Enjoy!

Jorge commented about City Line Cinema on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:52 am

Thanks for that google link fatman…I think my mother got confused between the Crossbay UA (which is now a Modell’s) & the old location of the Earl (per my incorrect post above)…hitting ‘terrain’ is the EXACT location of where the theater once was…in fact, the building looks exactly the same & resembles a theater building. I see the ‘Musique’ music store that used to be across the street (Lincoln Ave) is no more…used to be my source for buying all those old-school Freestyle records growing up. :o(

Jorge commented about Hillsboro Drive-In on Jan 4, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Nick’s story above was indeed heartfelt & touching…I was born in the mid 70s & would simply LOVE to take a time machine back in time to simply experience that drive-in magic, if only for one night! An all nighter sounds like a WILD way to spend an evening! Thanks for sharing such profound memories!

Jorge
Jorge commented about A Guide to seeing "Avatar" in several formats on Jan 4, 2010 at 11:53 am

Saw it in the IMAX at Veterans 24 (which also happens to be DLP equipped according to some pre-show ads) & it is indeed “immersive”…the backs of my ears started aching a bit, but a small sacrifice for the ULTIMATE Avatar experience!

Jorge commented about Cines Plaza 1 & 2 on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:39 pm

I was living there in the 80s…why am I remembering being MORE then 2 screens?!? My memory must be fuzzy. I remember seeing the re-release of E.T. at this theater sometime between 1983-1985.

What is the name of the theater curerntly at Plaza Las Americas? I went to see Pixar’s Up there when vacationing & the Digital 3D auditorium’s volume was on FULL blast! I loved every bit of it! I was almost deaf getting out of there!

Jorge commented about Teatro America on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Geez, I need to read the above captions better…I see it is already KNOWN it stopped working as a theater around 1985..which is around the time I had my above posted memories…it must’ve close shortly after, how sad. As LUISMEL above said, I remember talking to my cousin (who lived in NYC) on the phone & he’d already seen movies that were still a long ways from being screened at the America! I also remember they only showed movies at night…maybe 2 showings, like one at 7:30pm & another at 9:30pm & the popcorn was always “stale” & was always pretty dirty inside…now I know WHY, considering it was pretty much at the end of its “movie theater” run.

Jorge commented about Teatro Fenix on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:19 pm

This theater is in the SAME square as the Teatro America in Vega Baja…during my short years of living there (3 years) I’ve NEVER set foot in this building, but its one of the bigger ones, if not the BIGGEST within that square.

Here is a photo:[url]http://travelandsports.com/tf693.htm[/url]

Kudos to Cinematreasures for having Puerto Rican theaters on here! I never IMAGINED these would be on here!

Jorge commented about Teatro America on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I lived in Puerto Rico for only a short 3 years during the mid 80s & recently visited there after a long hiatus…the theater is still there, but it seems it does not operate as a MOVIE theater anymore…I took a peek inside & there are fold up chairs & a stage (no screen that I can see), according to a friend of the family (who has lived in Vega Baja her whole life), she says she has seen her share of “plays” there & can’t remember WHEN they stopped showing movies, so I’m assuming it is operating strictly as a performing arts center for the small town of Vega Baja.

I lived there when I was in the 5th-6th grade, so this theater has a sweet spot from my youth…I have fond memories of seeing movies like The Goonies, Fright Night, Return of the Living Dead, A View To A Kill & several others that escape me at the moment. On my recent trip back, I believe I took a photo of the very front of the theater. I will try my darnest to upload it to Photobucket in the next few days & copy the link over here.

Jorge commented about Tampa Pitcher Show on Oct 28, 2009 at 12:27 pm

All my years of living in Tampa & consistently driving by this place and I’ve NEVER been there…nor do I know someone who has…but I’ve always been curious.

Judging from Chuck’s comments, doesn’t sound like its worth my time, I’ve been to the Carmike Mugs in Lakeland once & was quite impressed.

Jorge
Jorge commented about Regal Pointe Orlando Stadium 20 & IMAX on Oct 28, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I remember a “Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland” theme at the theater that was very pleasant & soothing to the eyes. Muvico is known to have “themes” at their theaters & was wondering if the whole themeing was removed when Regal took it over! I recall seeing the 1st Charlie’s Angels movie at this theater & the “big thing” at the theater during my visit was Star Wars Episode I in IMAX, “50,000 watts of sound”, etc, etc…

I stayed at a hotel across the street from The Pointe last month & the shopping center is looking a little “dead”…lots of empty shops & not many people walking around…& this was a FRIDAY NIGHT, signs of the economy I’m sure. Wondering if the theater can stay afloat in that shopping center.

Jorge commented about Rialto Theatre on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:53 pm

This is SO awesome…never knew a theater was there! Love this site! The site of the abandoned area is visually “haunting” in its own way.

Jorge
Jorge commented about Villagio Cinemas of Carrollwood on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:50 pm

if this is the theater that was in the Carrolwood area in Tampa, this theater is still standing…it annually operates as a ‘Halloween Express’ & the entrance of the inside of the theater still has the lobby facade with arches & such (I’m going by memory here, so bear with me) & I even recall a “theater” still complete with theater seats minus the screen, now used as a “changing” area.

Jorge commented about Hillsboro Eight Cinemas on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I used to go to College right across the street from this theater. I always wondered why it got “revamped” considering MEGA theaters (of 20 screens & more) were opening all over the area. What a waste of resources. Oddly enough, I never went to see a movie here…never had a desire to + the neighborhood was indeed “run down”.

Jorge
Jorge commented about Cobb Theaters to open CineBistro in Tampa on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:38 pm

This is old news for some of us locals as this has been in the “works” for some time, but I have to say, its a good move considering the area. There is a CineBistro in Wesley Chapel about a 5 minute drive from my house…haven’t tried it yet, but looking to do so soon.