Comments from JudithK

JudithK commented about New Regal Theatre on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Would love to visit the New Regal Theatre; an audience is definitely waiting for a resolution on this story.

JudithK commented about Michael Todd Theatre on Mar 3, 2013 at 8:45 am

I saw “Around the World in 80 Days” at the Beverly Theatre in Peoria, IL, so I cannot answer BobbyS' question. When I saw “Star!” at the Michael Todd Theatre it was shown on a very wide, crystal-clear, flat screen. If anyone out there has seen the film I believe the beginning of the film was supposed to be a representation of a show curtain in a theatre.

JudithK commented about Michael Todd Theatre on Feb 16, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I saw the wide-screen re-release of “Gone With the Wind” at the McVickers on Madison Street in Chicago. The same thing happened in that theatre when Mr. Gable got his first close-up.

JudithK commented about Cadillac Palace Theatre on Feb 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Never visited the Palace Theatre until it reopened as the Cadillac Palace Theatre for the show “The Producers”. Wonderful place!

JudithK commented about Beverly Theater on Jul 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Whoops: says at the top of the page that a Walgreens is on the site. That’s it.

JudithK commented about Rialto Theater on Jul 15, 2012 at 6:03 pm

My moviegoing years in Peoria, IL were from the early to mid-1960s. We either attended films at the Madison, Palace or Beverly – no idea why we never attended anything at the Rialto.

JudithK commented about Madison Theatre on Jul 15, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I’m surprised that neither theatre was kept secure. Looking forward to seeing photos of the Rialto as I never visited it. I agree with you about “Star Trek 1”; it was not a good film (“Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan” was much better).

JudithK commented about Madison Theatre on Jul 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hmm; thanks!

JudithK commented about Madison Theatre on Jul 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm

The Majestic Theatre in Kankakee, IL has been renovated and has re-opened as a conference center. Photos from their webpage: http://www.k3majestictheatre.com show it to have been in poor condition. The Madison has National Register of Historic Places status, however, so that may affect the type and scope of renovations that can be done to it.

JudithK
JudithK commented about New Majestic Arts and Conference Centre on Jul 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

http://www.k3majestictheatre.com. The Majestic Theatre in Kankakee is back in business. This is their website, and of course they have a Facebook page, too.

JudithK commented about Madison Theatre on Jul 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I agree. It would be challenging to find people to do the artisan renovations, but they are out there if they worked or work on the Chicago Theatre, Oriental/Ford Theatre for the Performing Arts and Rialto Square Theatre.

JudithK commented about Beverly Theater on Jul 4, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I was in Peoria not too long ago after a very long absence. It was good to be back! I believe the theatre is still there, but is used for some other purpose (?). Those who live in Peoria, please advise.

JudithK commented about Madison Theatre on Jul 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm

This is a link to what I found in the Peoria Journal Star: http://www.pjstar.com/news/x484739208/Future-of-historic-Madison-Theater-uncertain?zc_p=0. I did watch the You Tube video. My salute to the chutzpah of the videographer and canine friend! I have visited four theatres in the Chicago Metro area which have found investors: the Auditorium Theatre; The Chicago Theatre; the Oriental/Ford Center for the Performing Arts; and the Rialto Square Theatre in Joliet, IL, all of which have fallen into extreme disrepair and which have been renovated. I was in the Chicago Theatre before it was renovated and it was in similar shape to what was shown on the You Tube video. I hope someday to be able to revisit the Madison Theatre. Note: as you know – but others may not – it does have a Facebook page.

JudithK commented about Sauk Trail Drive-In on Jun 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

Thanks! This really gives one an idea of how big the Sauk Trail Drive-In was in its heyday. There were – and are – homes to the east of the Drive-In; Once sold, a large amount of homes were built on the site, a senior center, with acreage left available. Whoever designed the new area did a good job and one cannot tell what was in the area in 1952.

JudithK commented about Glenwood Theater on Feb 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I finally drove by the Glenwood Theatre today; all is down but the foundation. It really looks like it was built very well. What a shame that a better effort was made to update it and keep it going.

JudithK commented about Criterion Theater on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:59 pm

In the mid-1970s I saw, of all things, Ken Russell’s film “Tommy” in a veru large, traditional downtown movie palace in Oklahoma City. I now believe it was the Criterion. About three of us were at the showing of the film (which was about right).

JudithK commented about Enid Drive-In on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Never got to the Enid Drive-In (no car!). I do remember it – that was really the end of an era. It’s still standing?

JudithK commented about Esquire Theater on Jan 28, 2012 at 10:59 pm

This was a fairly new theatre in downtown Enid during the era when I lived there. Good sightlines and sound.

JudithK commented about Gaslight Theatre on Jan 28, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I was in this theatre only once, during the period when it was the Chief Theatre. It was an older one, with lots of trim. The sound and sight lines were pretty good; glad to hear it’s still being used as the Gaslight Theatre.

JudithK commented about Harper Theater on Jan 22, 2012 at 9:10 am

As seen from my commuter train the Hyde Park Theatres (never visited it as I’m a suburbanite) is covered with scaffolding. As it is in an area of demolition/redevelopment, is the theatre going to be renovated, or demolished? For those of you who live, or have lived, in Hyde Park or Kenwood, here’s a link to the redevelopment going on. http://www.hydepark.org/historicpres/theater.htm

JudithK commented about Congress Theater on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:38 am

The Congress Theater made the Chicago news today after a young woman, unable to enter the theatre for a concert on New Years' Eve due to lack of proper ID, was the victim of a violent crime. The crime may or may not result in investigations concerning security issues for the venue.

JudithK commented about Glenwood Theater on Dec 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

As of December 28, 2011 the Glenwood Theatre is still in place; no sign of demolition preparations can be seen from the street.

JudithK commented about Michael Todd Theatre on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:45 am

Thanks, Broan! I had not seen the article, nor do I remember the interior extrance of the Michael Todd Theatre looking like this.

JudithK commented about Glenwood Theater on Nov 24, 2011 at 10:59 pm

The owner of record got what sounds like a fair settlement ($480,000 for a very depressed property) but it must have been terribly expensive to operate, and maybe it was highly taxed as well. From this point things should move forward. Sorry about the end of this story; it should have ended better.

JudithK commented about Cinestage Theatre on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:45 pm

The Art Institute of Chicago is featuring “Bertrand Goldberg: Architecture of Invention”. It will be in place until January 15, 2012. The Cinestage is mentioned in it; evidently Michael Todd and Bertrand Goldberg were friends and collaborators. Goldberg had a hand in the redesign of the interior of the theatre when it re-opened in the 1950s. Todd and Goldberg were working on establishing a chain of motion picture theatres called Cinestage; this endeavor never occurred due to the death of Michael Todd. Along with figaro14, I am interested in photographs of the interior of the Cinestage along with anyone’s memories of the theatre building.