Comments from Kyle Muldrow

Kyle Muldrow commented about Loew's State Theatre on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:22 am

Stephen, I would also like to extend my prayers and sympathy to you and your family. Although I never met your father in person, I knew of him and our mutual love of movie theaters (especially in St. Louis) from this and other websites we posted on (Cinematour.com, drive-ins.com, etc). As my good friend Chris Utley said, your father had true passion for movies and movie theaters, especially in our hometown of St. Louis. God Bless you during this difficult time.

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Regency Square 8 on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I also believe it’s because the theater is intended to be an “art house” theater, at least partially. But you raise a valid point, JAlex. Highly ironic…also, this will be on the property where Noah’s Ark used to be, I believe. We’ll see if this catches on.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Kenrick 8 Cine on Jan 30, 2013 at 9:49 am

Let me try that link again: Kenrick becomes WalMart

Kyle Muldrow commented about Kenrick 8 Cine on Jan 30, 2013 at 9:48 am

It looks like the Kenrick Cine is going to become a Walmart. Here’s the story from the Post-Dispatch: [(http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/shrewsbury-board-gives-nod-to-walmart/article_6a81eb81-58ab-52ac-9b82-2276da1f0b74.html)]

Kyle Muldrow commented about Grandview Cinema II on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:19 pm

@Jmiller: “The Swarm” was one of the most hyped pictures I can remember (there were full page color ads in the Globe-Democrat about 1-2 months before it opened saying “The Swarm is coming!”…but like you said, once it opened, it turned out to be an epic flop!!! Right up there with Heaven’s Gate as one of the worst big-budget movie disasters of all time!

Kyle Muldrow commented about Alton Cine on Jan 1, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Following up my recent post on the Westport Cine, I believe the Alton was one of the few theaters that didn’t have a box office. You bought your tickets at the front of the concession stand as you went in the building. The Westport Cine had a similar setup. Can anyone confirm?

Kyle Muldrow commented about Westport Cine on Jan 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm

As I recall, this was one of the few movie theaters that didn’t have a box office. You bought your tickets at the front of the concession stand after you went in. I believe the Alton Cine had a similar “no box office” setup. Can anyone confirm?

Kyle Muldrow
Kyle Muldrow commented about Northwest Square 10 Theatre on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:05 am

I went to this theater a few times. Saw the first Batman movie (with Michael Keaton) here and the last movie I saw here was Rocky 5, about a month before I moved to Southern California. Although it wasn’t my favorite place, I actually liked it better than the Northwest 9 inside the mall.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Central City Cinema on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:01 am

Is that the theater’s original marquee on the left of this pic?

Kyle Muldrow commented about UA Marketplace 8 on Dec 7, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I went to this theater many times while living in the Brea/Fullerton area (1991-1996) and actually liked it a lot. It was way better than the 4 screener in Brea Mall, which was a total dump, and the Brea Plaza 5, which was OK, but just wasn’t as nice or comfortable. From what I have read from other sources, this theater was stuck with a bad lease, which prevented them from showing matinees, or something like that. Combine that with Edwards opening a 10-screen and 12-screen theater in the new Downtown Brea, and that should explain why this place eventually closed.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Westport Cine on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm

The only movie I ever saw here was “Star Wars”.

Kyle Muldrow commented about I-44 Drive-In on Nov 11, 2012 at 6:49 pm

@Cholla: I know the I-44 was a storage lot for trucks and trailers for a while after it closed…and there may have been another business operating out of the lot for a while, but I don’t remember a swap meet ever being there. But that’s just my recollection…maybe someone else can confirm or set the record straight.

Kyle Muldrow commented about I-44 Drive-In on Nov 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Piccione Enterprises…weren’t they the same family that ran the Varsity Theater in U City? I believe Wehrenberg did booking for that theater, as well as the Apollo when Grace Piccione operated that place.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Starlight Drive-In on Nov 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Did BAC eventually take over this theater?

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Regency Square 8 on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Let’s see: I saw Edward Scissorhands, Misery, Kindergarten Cop, Look Who’s Talking Too, and…can’t remember the other one…

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Regency Square 8 on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm

OK, one more thing: Had Regency Square Shopping Center been around in the 70s, I’m certain General Cinema would have put a theater there. That shopping center is the exactly the type of location GCC would have wanted and I’m certain they would have put at least 6 screens in it to compete with Cinema 4 Center. Just speculation on my part, but hey, it’s fun!

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Regency Square 8 on Oct 30, 2012 at 9:41 am

I went to this theater a lot, especially during my last two years in St. Louis (1989-1991) before I moved to Southern California. I lived in an apartment complex in St. Charles not far from this theater. In fact, during Christmas week of 1990, I had the whole week off from work, so I went to a movie every day of that week at the Regency Square…even driving through snow!! CSW is correct: a 24 Hour Fitness now occupies the building. It was a VERY popular theater for its entire existence. Too bad it closed.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Creve Coeur Cine' on Oct 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

One regret that I have is that I never made it to the Creve Coeur. Really wish I had

Kyle Muldrow commented about 270 Drive-In on Oct 6, 2012 at 11:09 am

Valid point, Chris…although, to be fair, I believe Wehrenberg continued that tradition after they took over the St. Ann 4 Screen…which, of course, wasn’t for very long.

Kyle Muldrow
Kyle Muldrow commented about Laguna Hills Mall Cinemas on Aug 28, 2012 at 10:04 am

I live very close to this theater, but the mall where it’s located is in big trouble. There are lots of vacancies, most notable the entire upstairs food court. Everything is closed (including the Walden Books) and you can’t even use the escalators to get up there anymore. I even heard the Disney Store there closed recently. If that type of store closes, you know things are bad.

This theater recently installed Digital 3D equipment and raised its discount price to $7 for movies before 6 PM. I go here once in a while, but it’s not my favorite theater. We’ll see how much longer it and the mall can hold on.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Edwards Cinema on Aug 28, 2012 at 10:00 am

I went to this theater one time in 1999…and it was a very memorable night! A whole bunch of friends from my church singles group decided to get off work early and go see Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace on opening night. We all got there early, grabbed dinner at the Yoshinoya across the street, then sat in line for a while eating dinner so we could be first to get tickets. It was just a fun evening out for a bunch of friends who were Star Wars geeks!! I also thought it was totally cool there was an old school single-screen theater still around. I agree with the other comments: The seats were VERY comfortable and the old 70mm screen really made the movie even more memorable…that and grabbing pizza at The Pizza Haus afterward. Great memories!!

Kyle Muldrow commented about Edwards Park Place 10 on Aug 21, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Saw several movies here including Deep Blue Sea and Minority Report. But my best memory of this theater was when I saw The Incredibles…it was the second date with the woman who is now my wife!!

Kyle Muldrow commented about Twin City Cinema on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Based on a little research on Google Maps, I think the address given for this theater is 416 North Truman Boulevard. I think it should be changed to 416 SOUTH Truman Boulevard. Check it out on Google Maps and I think you’ll see why.

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Crestwood Plaza 10 on May 18, 2012 at 9:33 am

Wow…two weeks sooner than originally thought…So Long, Crestwood Plaza…and thanks for the memories…

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Crestwood Plaza 10 on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm

@oceantracks: I believe you might be thinking of the South County Cinema that was in South County Center. That theater WAS run by General Cinema from its opening until it was closed and torn down. Here’s that theater’s page on this site: South County Cinema