Comments from Kyle Muldrow

Kyle Muldrow commented about Jamestown 14 on Jul 21, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Post-Dispatch reported last week that Jamestown Mall is now officially closed. That’s the whole mall, not just the theater. So much of North St.Louis County is just disappearing or a far cry from how it used to be.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Clarkson 6 Cine' on Jul 14, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Oops…I meant THX…sorry for the dyslexic moment there…

Kyle Muldrow commented about Clarkson 6 Cine' on Jul 14, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I saw Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade in 70mm TXH at the Clarkson. It was the only time I went there. The main auditorium was pretty cool!!

Kyle Muldrow commented about Kenrick 8 Cine on Jul 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

It appears Wehrenberg Theaters is going to give Watson Road another try. Check out this article from the St. Louis Business Journal:

Kyle Muldrow commented about Kenrick 8 Cine on Jul 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Despite the Kenrick being demolished, it appears Wehrenberg Theaters is going to give Watson Road another try. Check out this article:

Kyle Muldrow commented about Mid Rivers 14 Cine' on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Just out of curiosity, DAL, what kind of problems where they? Were they structure-related, location-related, or customer-related?

Kyle Muldrow commented about Woods Mill Cinema I & II on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I recently ran across some online archives of my old college’s student newspaper (The UMSL Current) from 1985 and 1986. There were a few movie ads in there and one had the Woods Mill Cinema listed in it. The location for the Woods Mill was given as “Hwy 40 and Woods Mill Road.” After doing a quick check of Google Maps, that location would be close to Maryville University. I also noticed a small strip center with a Dave’s World in it on South Woods Mill, just off South Outer Forty Road. Perhaps this was where the Woods Mill Cinema was located. Keep in mind the key word here is “perhaps”. :)

Kyle Muldrow commented about Loew's State Theatre on Dec 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Stephen, I would also like to extend my prayers and sympathy to you and your family. Although I never met your father in person, I knew of him and our mutual love of movie theaters (especially in St. Louis) from this and other websites we posted on (Cinematour.com, drive-ins.com, etc). As my good friend Chris Utley said, your father had true passion for movies and movie theaters, especially in our hometown of St. Louis. God Bless you during this difficult time.

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Regency Square 8 on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I also believe it’s because the theater is intended to be an “art house” theater, at least partially. But you raise a valid point, JAlex. Highly ironic…also, this will be on the property where Noah’s Ark used to be, I believe. We’ll see if this catches on.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Kenrick 8 Cine on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Let me try that link again: Kenrick becomes WalMart

Kyle Muldrow commented about Kenrick 8 Cine on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm

It looks like the Kenrick Cine is going to become a Walmart. Here’s the story from the Post-Dispatch: [(http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/shrewsbury-board-gives-nod-to-walmart/article_6a81eb81-58ab-52ac-9b82-2276da1f0b74.html)]

Kyle Muldrow commented about Grandview Cinema II on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:19 pm

@Jmiller: “The Swarm” was one of the most hyped pictures I can remember (there were full page color ads in the Globe-Democrat about 1-2 months before it opened saying “The Swarm is coming!”…but like you said, once it opened, it turned out to be an epic flop!!! Right up there with Heaven’s Gate as one of the worst big-budget movie disasters of all time!

Kyle Muldrow commented about Alton Cine on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Following up my recent post on the Westport Cine, I believe the Alton was one of the few theaters that didn’t have a box office. You bought your tickets at the front of the concession stand as you went in the building. The Westport Cine had a similar setup. Can anyone confirm?

Kyle Muldrow commented about Westport Cine on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm

As I recall, this was one of the few movie theaters that didn’t have a box office. You bought your tickets at the front of the concession stand after you went in. I believe the Alton Cine had a similar “no box office” setup. Can anyone confirm?

Kyle Muldrow
Kyle Muldrow commented about Northwest Square 10 Theatre on Dec 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I went to this theater a few times. Saw the first Batman movie (with Michael Keaton) here and the last movie I saw here was Rocky 5, about a month before I moved to Southern California. Although it wasn’t my favorite place, I actually liked it better than the Northwest 9 inside the mall.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Central City Cinema on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Is that the theater’s original marquee on the left of this pic?

Kyle Muldrow commented about UA Marketplace 8 on Dec 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I went to this theater many times while living in the Brea/Fullerton area (1991-1996) and actually liked it a lot. It was way better than the 4 screener in Brea Mall, which was a total dump, and the Brea Plaza 5, which was OK, but just wasn’t as nice or comfortable. From what I have read from other sources, this theater was stuck with a bad lease, which prevented them from showing matinees, or something like that. Combine that with Edwards opening a 10-screen and 12-screen theater in the new Downtown Brea, and that should explain why this place eventually closed.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Westport Cine on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm

The only movie I ever saw here was “Star Wars”.

Kyle Muldrow commented about I-44 Drive-In on Nov 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm

@Cholla: I know the I-44 was a storage lot for trucks and trailers for a while after it closed…and there may have been another business operating out of the lot for a while, but I don’t remember a swap meet ever being there. But that’s just my recollection…maybe someone else can confirm or set the record straight.

Kyle Muldrow commented about I-44 Drive-In on Nov 11, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Piccione Enterprises…weren’t they the same family that ran the Varsity Theater in U City? I believe Wehrenberg did booking for that theater, as well as the Apollo when Grace Piccione operated that place.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Starlight Drive-In on Nov 11, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Did BAC eventually take over this theater?

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Regency Square 8 on Nov 2, 2012 at 12:35 am

Let’s see: I saw Edward Scissorhands, Misery, Kindergarten Cop, Look Who’s Talking Too, and…can’t remember the other one…

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Regency Square 8 on Nov 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

OK, one more thing: Had Regency Square Shopping Center been around in the 70s, I’m certain General Cinema would have put a theater there. That shopping center is the exactly the type of location GCC would have wanted and I’m certain they would have put at least 6 screens in it to compete with Cinema 4 Center. Just speculation on my part, but hey, it’s fun!

Kyle Muldrow commented about AMC Regency Square 8 on Oct 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I went to this theater a lot, especially during my last two years in St. Louis (1989-1991) before I moved to Southern California. I lived in an apartment complex in St. Charles not far from this theater. In fact, during Christmas week of 1990, I had the whole week off from work, so I went to a movie every day of that week at the Regency Square…even driving through snow!! CSW is correct: a 24 Hour Fitness now occupies the building. It was a VERY popular theater for its entire existence. Too bad it closed.

Kyle Muldrow commented about Creve Coeur Cine' on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

One regret that I have is that I never made it to the Creve Coeur. Really wish I had