Comments from LuisV

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,135 comments

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:31 pm

YAY! The Fishers are loaded too. Hopefully, they have a heart and will work to save this special piece of New York’s cultural and cinematic architectural history.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:19 am

So, way back when I remember reading that Sheldon Solow, a Billionaire, owns the Ziegfeld AND the Paris Theatres and wanted to keep them as theaters. I was able to find proof that he definitely owns the Paris (he purchased it in the 90’s) but was not able to confirm that the owns the Ziegfeld. Wikipedia says that Cablesvision owns the Ziegfeld Building but I think that is incorrect. They just lease the property and they subleased it to Bow Tie for the remainder of their lease. What I don’t understand is why there is not a big movement to LANDMARK the Ziegfeld! It is old enough, it is architecturally and culturally important and is the land of the Movie Palaces to be constructed in the city. What more do we need?

LuisV commented about Carolina Theatre on Jun 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm

This appeared in today’s Charlotte Observer. It looks like this project is a go. Per the article it does not appear like it will function in any way as a true theater and that’s very disappointing.

“Despite its theatrical history, the renovated Carolina Theatre is being designed to serve as more of a civic gathering space with 1,000 seats for public discourse, including speeches, lectures, debates and conferences. Proposed plans for the renovated theatre include expanding outward with a main lobby that will replace the park currently located on Tryon and upward with three floors of office space and a boutique hotel.”

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Jun 18, 2015 at 8:01 am

Mike, I full hear what you are saying and I would like to agree, but……..there is nothing that says “Theatre” than a Blade! I want a Blade to return to the Kings and also to the Loew’s Jersey.

LuisV commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 29, 2015 at 11:22 am

Seems to me the best of both worlds would be to bring in AEG to work WITH Friends of Loews to finish the restoration of the grand theater along with installing AC and hopefully restoring the Blade while REQUIRING that showing films always be a part of the programming at the Loews Jersey! They have the desperately needed money. Why is that a problem??

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Apr 15, 2015 at 11:07 am

Agreed about Disney! We cannot lose this theater. I also don’t understand why this theater is not landmarked. It is a beautiful example of a 60’s Movie Palace, the last of its kind and should be preserved.

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Mike, I have no idea why it wasn’t popping up in my Theater/Theatre search nor was it in the Brooklyn Search. But I got an email notifying me when you posted there so thank you! This is great News! Now if someone would only save the Loew’s Canal!

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Today it was announced that LIU will be embarking on a $50MM renovation of the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre which has been used as an Athletic facility for the college for the last 50 years! The restoration will take about two years! Amazingly I have search CT for the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre and can’t find it. There is another Paramount listed in Bushwick. It must be here, no?? :–) http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/04/08/reborn_paramount_theater_in_brooklyn_will_look_like_this.php#more

LuisV commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jan 30, 2015 at 7:25 am

HUGE Big News! The Brooklyn Paramount is returning to public use as a music venue! Not a lot of details but I’m sure more to come!

LuisV commented about Uptown Theater on Jan 26, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Until recently, arguably, the two most magnificent of the world’s remaining unrenovated theaters were the Uptown in Chicago and the Loew’s Kings in Brooklyn. That title now belongs to the Uptown alone! The Loew’s Kings $95MM restoration and expansion has been completed! Here is a great link to some incredible photographs of the fully restored masterpiece by Rapp & Rapp. FREE Tours to the public will be offered on Saturday, February 7th from 12:00 – 4:00 PM! I can’t wait to see it for myself! The first event, a sold out performance by Diana Ross, is on February 3rd!!!!! I hope this gives fans of the Uptown in Chicago some hope! http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/01/26/behold_brooklyns_magnificently_restored_kings_theatre.php#more

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Here is a great link to some incredible photographs of the fully restored Loew’s Kings Theatre! FREE Tours to the public will be offered on Saturday, February 7th from 12:00 – 4:00 PM! I can’t wait to see it for myself! http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/01/26/behold_brooklyns_magnificently_restored_kings_theatre.php#more

LuisV commented about Boyd Theatre on Jan 21, 2015 at 10:24 am

Wait, What? The iPic plan is dead? So what now? How much demolition has occurred? What the heck happened?

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 11, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Cablevision does NOT owns the site/building. It is owned by a billionaire whose name escapes me.

LuisV commented about Paris Theatre on Dec 16, 2014 at 8:14 am

I usually have an amazing experience when visiting the Ziegfeld; including recent visits to see Interstellar (when the curtains were used) and Mockingjay (when they were not). I do wish they used the curtains at ALL times. I will be back on Christmas Day to see Into The Woods!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

Rats! I would have gone earlier in the day! Will have to wait until Christmas Day!

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 10:21 am

The Grand Opening is scheduled for February 3rd with a performance by none other than Diana Ross! Tickets went on sale today. Also announced that tours of the theater will be offered as part of the open ing festivities, but I don’t have any details on that.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 10:13 am

Christmas EVE?? All day Christmas Eve??? Hmmmm……I’m changing my plans!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:56 am

I’m not an expert, but though I did think the sound at Inerstellar was less than ideal, it had nothing to do with the Ziegfeld. I had no problems at all with the sound during the previews. I think the sound at the Ziegfeld is magnificent and one of many reasons that I see movies here.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 11, 2014 at 9:27 am

I assume the Ziegfeld will be screening the newest Hunger Games installment at Thanksgiving as well as Into The Woods at Christmas?????

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 9, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I attended the 6:45 show Saturday night and the orchestra sections appeared to be about 70% filled. It was the first time I had seen the curtains used in a long time and it brought a big smile to my face and a warm feeling in my heart. My nephew was attending for the first time and he loved it! Another Ziegfeld fan is born!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Going tonight! Does anyone know if Into The Woods will open at The Ziegfeld (as most musicals do)?

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

LuisV commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Nov 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm

With the loss of the Ridgewood, the last and best remaining unrenovated theater in Queens is the RKO Keith’s in Richmond Hill. I went over to the RKO Ketih’s Richmond Hill page and here is my post after my last visit in 2012:

I visited this theater in late August as I was in the area. Sad to say, it was incredibly depressing. The theater was hosting one of their Bingo sessions and the foyer leading from the front door to the auditorium reeked of cigarette smoke. The people were frightening. It literally looked like an SRO resident convention. None of these people looked like they should have any money to gamble on Bingo and yet here they were. Yes, the theater is still basically intact but I can’t imagine any situation where this ever gets restored. It simply is a rotten location for any performing arts use. I’m not even sure where these people came from since the area is basically a middle class neighborhood. Even more upsetting is that Salernos looks like its been long gone. The space is empty. Jahn’s Ice Cream Parlor (on the other side of the theater entrance) has been gutted and turned into some king of “club” but I couldn’t tell if even that hadn’t already gone out of business. The old Triangle Hoffbrau restaurant is also gone and gutted into medical offices. The beautiful Simonson Funeral Home was torn down and a strip mall is taking its place. Will likely be hideous. Next door to that, The Republican Club reflects its party. It has been completely hollowed out and is a shadow of its former stately self. Have no idea what’s happening there.

On a good note, the Olympic Diner on Myrtle is STILL there. Rubies Costume Shop is still on Jamaica Avenue. The Queens Public Library has been restored and it beautiful with loverly landscaping.

I have now sold my nearby investment apartment and will likely never be back to this area. I wish it all the best but I fear for the RKO Keiths. What a shame.

LuisV commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Nov 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm

It’s pretty desolate from a retail standpoint. As you said, all the things that made this former hub something are now gone! Jahns, Hofbrau and Salerno’s. That’s no accident. Oh, and the crowd that comes to play bingo doesn’t help matters at all. Likely contributed to the loss of the others.

LuisV commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Nov 5, 2014 at 12:37 pm

You should see it Mike, but check the schedule to see when it is open. I think there may be a flea market on weekends as well. The location of this theater is the very reason it is still with us. It’s not in a trendy ‘hood, not a great shopping area. And certainly not a big movie going area. The nearest theater is the outstanding Austin on Lefferts Blvd in neighboring Kew Gardens which has done very well as an art house cinema. It is less than a mile away from the Keith’s, but a world apart. It would not work well as a performance space, nor I’m afraid as a theater, so I’m not sure how long this building is for this world but it has been a bingo hall since it stopped showing movies in the late 60’s (I think). The Keith’s is one of New York’s hidden gems hiding in plain sight.