Comments from LuisV

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,122 comments

LuisV commented about Paris Theatre on Dec 16, 2014 at 8:14 am

I usually have an amazing experience when visiting the Ziegfeld; including recent visits to see Interstellar (when the curtains were used) and Mockingjay (when they were not). I do wish they used the curtains at ALL times. I will be back on Christmas Day to see Into The Woods!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

Rats! I would have gone earlier in the day! Will have to wait until Christmas Day!

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 10:21 am

The Grand Opening is scheduled for February 3rd with a performance by none other than Diana Ross! Tickets went on sale today. Also announced that tours of the theater will be offered as part of the open ing festivities, but I don’t have any details on that.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 10:13 am

Christmas EVE?? All day Christmas Eve??? Hmmmm……I’m changing my plans!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:56 am

I’m not an expert, but though I did think the sound at Inerstellar was less than ideal, it had nothing to do with the Ziegfeld. I had no problems at all with the sound during the previews. I think the sound at the Ziegfeld is magnificent and one of many reasons that I see movies here.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 11, 2014 at 9:27 am

I assume the Ziegfeld will be screening the newest Hunger Games installment at Thanksgiving as well as Into The Woods at Christmas?????

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 9, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I attended the 6:45 show Saturday night and the orchestra sections appeared to be about 70% filled. It was the first time I had seen the curtains used in a long time and it brought a big smile to my face and a warm feeling in my heart. My nephew was attending for the first time and he loved it! Another Ziegfeld fan is born!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Going tonight! Does anyone know if Into The Woods will open at The Ziegfeld (as most musicals do)?

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

LuisV commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Nov 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm

With the loss of the Ridgewood, the last and best remaining unrenovated theater in Queens is the RKO Keith’s in Richmond Hill. I went over to the RKO Ketih’s Richmond Hill page and here is my post after my last visit in 2012:

I visited this theater in late August as I was in the area. Sad to say, it was incredibly depressing. The theater was hosting one of their Bingo sessions and the foyer leading from the front door to the auditorium reeked of cigarette smoke. The people were frightening. It literally looked like an SRO resident convention. None of these people looked like they should have any money to gamble on Bingo and yet here they were. Yes, the theater is still basically intact but I can’t imagine any situation where this ever gets restored. It simply is a rotten location for any performing arts use. I’m not even sure where these people came from since the area is basically a middle class neighborhood. Even more upsetting is that Salernos looks like its been long gone. The space is empty. Jahn’s Ice Cream Parlor (on the other side of the theater entrance) has been gutted and turned into some king of “club” but I couldn’t tell if even that hadn’t already gone out of business. The old Triangle Hoffbrau restaurant is also gone and gutted into medical offices. The beautiful Simonson Funeral Home was torn down and a strip mall is taking its place. Will likely be hideous. Next door to that, The Republican Club reflects its party. It has been completely hollowed out and is a shadow of its former stately self. Have no idea what’s happening there.

On a good note, the Olympic Diner on Myrtle is STILL there. Rubies Costume Shop is still on Jamaica Avenue. The Queens Public Library has been restored and it beautiful with loverly landscaping.

I have now sold my nearby investment apartment and will likely never be back to this area. I wish it all the best but I fear for the RKO Keiths. What a shame.

LuisV commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Nov 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm

It’s pretty desolate from a retail standpoint. As you said, all the things that made this former hub something are now gone! Jahns, Hofbrau and Salerno’s. That’s no accident. Oh, and the crowd that comes to play bingo doesn’t help matters at all. Likely contributed to the loss of the others.

LuisV commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Nov 5, 2014 at 12:37 pm

You should see it Mike, but check the schedule to see when it is open. I think there may be a flea market on weekends as well. The location of this theater is the very reason it is still with us. It’s not in a trendy ‘hood, not a great shopping area. And certainly not a big movie going area. The nearest theater is the outstanding Austin on Lefferts Blvd in neighboring Kew Gardens which has done very well as an art house cinema. It is less than a mile away from the Keith’s, but a world apart. It would not work well as a performance space, nor I’m afraid as a theater, so I’m not sure how long this building is for this world but it has been a bingo hall since it stopped showing movies in the late 60’s (I think). The Keith’s is one of New York’s hidden gems hiding in plain sight.

LuisV commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Nov 5, 2014 at 10:29 am

It was announced a while ago that the theater was being converted to residential. It is being converted to 50 apartments as well as first floor commercial space. As the interior was not landmarked there was never any expectation that any of it would survive. The facade however IS landmarked and that should be spared. Here is the link: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/07/10/ridgewood_theaters_residential_conversion_moves_forward.php The best preserved unrestored theater in Queens and quite possibly the entire city is the RKO Keith’s Richmond Hill. I am shocked that it still operates as a Bingo Hall.

LuisV commented about Plaza Theatre on Sep 8, 2014 at 8:12 am

The status of this theater should be changed to CLOSED. The Palm Springs Follies, its longtime tenant, ended its run in May. As I understand it the theater is owned by the city and they plan to renovate it. Palm Springs is undergoing a renaissance and this theater could play a prominent role. I’ll report back as soon as I hear anything new. p.s. The theater is lovely! I enjoyed it very much.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 4, 2014 at 6:45 am

While some don’t count it, the 2 week exclusive presentation of Dreamgirls a few years back was a huge success. To this day, it is the greatest movie theater experience I have ever had. The theater was sold out at $25 a pop. I had 10 other friends with me in assigned seats. There were 3 standing ovations DURING the movie when the big musical numbers played. Curtains? Absolutely! Previews or Commericals? NONE! I will never forget it.

LuisV commented about Teatro America on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:37 am

What great news!!!!! Congrats and all the best!

LuisV commented about Paramount Theatre on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:29 am

Curbed has posted a story on its website titled “Peek inside Staten Island’s long shuttered Paramount Theatre” http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/06/17/peek_inside_staten_islands_longshuttered_paramount_theater.php#reader_comments

LuisV commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jun 14, 2014 at 6:40 am

I wish NPH had hosted again. I like Hugh very much but he can’t hold a candle to Neil. I too plan on seeing Gentleman’s Guide again. We bought the cast recording the next day and there are several beautiful songs and the lyrics are smart and witty. Great sets, costumes and very funny.

LuisV commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jun 14, 2014 at 5:57 am

I had the good fortune to attend the TONY awards this year and, in my opinion, the true unheralded star of the show was Radio City itself along with the staff that runs the theater and the show. That this theater could accommodate the high volume of different sets, hundreds of actors, very quick changes as well as a wandering full size orchestra and make it all look like a breeze is nothing short of astounding. Great Job to all and I really need to take a back stage tour of this treasure this year. Also, Congrats to “Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder” for winning best Musical. A great show and highly recommended.

LuisV commented about Texas Theatre on Apr 19, 2014 at 6:17 am

I hear you Life’s Too Short. I am happy that the facade was saved. It’s beautiful. But it actually makes it difficult to look at as you can’t help but feel awful that at truly beautiful theater was demolished for a run of the mill office tower. Yes, I prefer the facade over complete demolition, but it still hurts.

LuisV commented about Boyd Theatre on Mar 18, 2014 at 8:56 am

WoW! A new low for Philadelphia. A city that prides itself on history architecture and art has let its last remaining movie palace slip away. For shame! Most major cities have at least two palaces remaining while others, like New York and Los Angeles have scores of them which are used in many different capacities, but they are still around. Now, Philadelphia will take its shameful place as the only? major city without a historic movie palace.

LuisV commented about Plaza Theatre on Mar 15, 2014 at 9:02 am

Going to see the Follies Show tonight! The show is closing in May. I will try to find out what is in store for this landmark theatre and report back.

LuisV commented about RKO Hamilton Theatre on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:32 am

Hmmm, unable to make the link work but here it is to cut and paste. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/realestate/the-hamilton-theaters-changing-act.html?_r=0

LuisV commented about RKO Hamilton Theatre on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:31 am

Trying again: [http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/realestate/the-hamilton-theaters-changing-act.html?_r=0] (RKO Hamilton)

LuisV commented about RKO Hamilton Theatre on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:29 am

The New York Times showcases this beautiful theater, slated to be developed but large parts of the theater may be preserved.