Comments from LuisV

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,148 comments

LuisV commented about iPic Fulton Market on Feb 22, 2020 at 10:19 am

This has become my FAVORITE theater in the city. Though iPic has declared bankruptcy on the national level, the Financial District outlet is the highest grossing complex in the chain. I frequently see it sold out, when I look for tickets. Alamo Draft House, opening this summer a few blocks away will be a welcome addition to Luxury movie going, though the food will not be equal to what is available at iPic, which has a James Beard Award winning Chef at the helm.

LuisV commented about Belasco Theatre on Oct 18, 2019 at 11:35 am

In my opinion, a Theater is a Theater; most eppecially this theaters that were built in cities to showcase live theater. So what if they didn’t show films. They are still architectural wonders and like their movie palace counterparts, they will never build them like this again. Yes, this is called Cinema Treasures, and if a film played even once, then add it! :–). I would also love to see a separate section perhaps for those theaters that are in themselves works of art, but have never shown a film.

LuisV commented about Avalon Regal Theater on Aug 14, 2019 at 6:16 am

Hope this winds up being true, but Kanye West says he will be restoring this amazing theater.

LuisV commented about New Ozone Theatre on Jul 12, 2019 at 11:06 am

The location of this theater is incorrect. The address clearly is in SOUTH Ozone Park. It should join its South Ozone Park neighbors, The Park and the Farrell in its proper neighborhood.

LuisV commented about Cole Theatre on Jul 3, 2019 at 3:52 pm

I was there on June 8th and there doesn’t appear to be anything new to report. The town doesn’t appear to be any better than it was 10 years ago, but also not worse. Not much going on here.

LuisV commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on May 17, 2019 at 6:34 am

It appears a new development will rise on this site after all these years. The article does state the at current developer WILL preserve the landmarked portions of the interior. We shall see.

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on May 4, 2018 at 10:25 am

There is NOTHING wrong with requiring someone to speak more than one language. It makes you MORE valuable, not less.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 26, 2017 at 8:58 am

I saw Grease at the Ziegfeld! I remember it clearly. The theatre was nearly full. I miss the Ziegfeld. :–(

LuisV commented about Loew's Pitkin Theatre on Aug 25, 2017 at 8:22 am

I don’t believe any of the interior survived, only the exterior.

LuisV commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Mar 21, 2017 at 10:51 am

BobbyS, Crime is not an issue almost anywhere in New York City as crime rates are currently at historic lows. It is the prime reason why there is so much development all over the city and not just in Manhattan.

LuisV commented about West End Theatre on Mar 3, 2017 at 9:16 am

As per this article in today’s Curbed, this old West End Theater, now LaGree Baptist Church, will soon be demolished and replaced with a 12 story Condominium. http://ny.curbed.com/2017/3/3/14801616/harlem-church-apartment-building-conversion

LuisV commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 7, 2016 at 4:34 am

I think the Kings is doing well. They just celebrated their first year!

LuisV commented about Radio City Music Hall on Mar 21, 2016 at 6:25 am

That is very welcome news indeed, if Radio City winds up getting some of the bigger premieres previously hosted by the Ziegfeld.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 22, 2016 at 9:03 am

This was the theater where I first saw Grease!, Fantasia, Chicago, Independence Day and so many others over the years including the best movie experience of my life: A sold out showing of Dreamgirls where there were THREE standing ovations during the film. I will never forget it and will never forget the joys this theater has given me. Tonight I am heading up to see Star Wars to enjoy it one last time.

LuisV commented about Plaza Theatre on Dec 23, 2015 at 6:25 pm

It’s been 15 months since my last post and alas this theater is still CLOSED (though it shows as open on CT as of 12/23). The good thing is that the city owns the theater and it recognizes that this theater is a historic treasure. The bad thing is that it needs money for upgrades and the city doesn’t have it or won’t spend it. So far as I know it is not in danger of demolition.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:31 pm

YAY! The Fishers are loaded too. Hopefully, they have a heart and will work to save this special piece of New York’s cultural and cinematic architectural history.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:19 am

So, way back when I remember reading that Sheldon Solow, a Billionaire, owns the Ziegfeld AND the Paris Theatres and wanted to keep them as theaters. I was able to find proof that he definitely owns the Paris (he purchased it in the 90’s) but was not able to confirm that the owns the Ziegfeld. Wikipedia says that Cablesvision owns the Ziegfeld Building but I think that is incorrect. They just lease the property and they subleased it to Bow Tie for the remainder of their lease. What I don’t understand is why there is not a big movement to LANDMARK the Ziegfeld! It is old enough, it is architecturally and culturally important and is the land of the Movie Palaces to be constructed in the city. What more do we need?

LuisV commented about Carolina Theatre on Jun 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm

This appeared in today’s Charlotte Observer. It looks like this project is a go. Per the article it does not appear like it will function in any way as a true theater and that’s very disappointing.

“Despite its theatrical history, the renovated Carolina Theatre is being designed to serve as more of a civic gathering space with 1,000 seats for public discourse, including speeches, lectures, debates and conferences. Proposed plans for the renovated theatre include expanding outward with a main lobby that will replace the park currently located on Tryon and upward with three floors of office space and a boutique hotel.”

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Jun 18, 2015 at 8:01 am

Mike, I full hear what you are saying and I would like to agree, but……..there is nothing that says “Theatre” than a Blade! I want a Blade to return to the Kings and also to the Loew’s Jersey.

LuisV commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 29, 2015 at 11:22 am

Seems to me the best of both worlds would be to bring in AEG to work WITH Friends of Loews to finish the restoration of the grand theater along with installing AC and hopefully restoring the Blade while REQUIRING that showing films always be a part of the programming at the Loews Jersey! They have the desperately needed money. Why is that a problem??

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Apr 15, 2015 at 11:07 am

Agreed about Disney! We cannot lose this theater. I also don’t understand why this theater is not landmarked. It is a beautiful example of a 60’s Movie Palace, the last of its kind and should be preserved.

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Mike, I have no idea why it wasn’t popping up in my Theater/Theatre search nor was it in the Brooklyn Search. But I got an email notifying me when you posted there so thank you! This is great News! Now if someone would only save the Loew’s Canal!

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Today it was announced that LIU will be embarking on a $50MM renovation of the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre which has been used as an Athletic facility for the college for the last 50 years! The restoration will take about two years! Amazingly I have search CT for the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre and can’t find it. There is another Paramount listed in Bushwick. It must be here, no?? :–) http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/04/08/reborn_paramount_theater_in_brooklyn_will_look_like_this.php#more

LuisV commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jan 30, 2015 at 7:25 am

HUGE Big News! The Brooklyn Paramount is returning to public use as a music venue! Not a lot of details but I’m sure more to come!

LuisV commented about Uptown Theatre on Jan 26, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Until recently, arguably, the two most magnificent of the world’s remaining unrenovated theaters were the Uptown in Chicago and the Loew’s Kings in Brooklyn. That title now belongs to the Uptown alone! The Loew’s Kings $95MM restoration and expansion has been completed! Here is a great link to some incredible photographs of the fully restored masterpiece by Rapp & Rapp. FREE Tours to the public will be offered on Saturday, February 7th from 12:00 – 4:00 PM! I can’t wait to see it for myself! The first event, a sold out performance by Diana Ross, is on February 3rd!!!!! I hope this gives fans of the Uptown in Chicago some hope! http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/01/26/behold_brooklyns_magnificently_restored_kings_theatre.php#more