Comments from LuisV

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,139 comments

LuisV commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 7, 2016 at 12:34 pm

I think the Kings is doing well. They just celebrated their first year!

LuisV commented about Radio City Music Hall on Mar 21, 2016 at 1:25 pm

That is very welcome news indeed, if Radio City winds up getting some of the bigger premieres previously hosted by the Ziegfeld.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 22, 2016 at 5:03 pm

This was the theater where I first saw Grease!, Fantasia, Chicago, Independence Day and so many others over the years including the best movie experience of my life: A sold out showing of Dreamgirls where there were THREE standing ovations during the film. I will never forget it and will never forget the joys this theater has given me. Tonight I am heading up to see Star Wars to enjoy it one last time.

LuisV commented about Plaza Theatre on Dec 24, 2015 at 2:25 am

It’s been 15 months since my last post and alas this theater is still CLOSED (though it shows as open on CT as of 12/23). The good thing is that the city owns the theater and it recognizes that this theater is a historic treasure. The bad thing is that it needs money for upgrades and the city doesn’t have it or won’t spend it. So far as I know it is not in danger of demolition.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 5, 2015 at 10:31 pm

YAY! The Fishers are loaded too. Hopefully, they have a heart and will work to save this special piece of New York’s cultural and cinematic architectural history.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 5, 2015 at 1:19 pm

So, way back when I remember reading that Sheldon Solow, a Billionaire, owns the Ziegfeld AND the Paris Theatres and wanted to keep them as theaters. I was able to find proof that he definitely owns the Paris (he purchased it in the 90’s) but was not able to confirm that the owns the Ziegfeld. Wikipedia says that Cablesvision owns the Ziegfeld Building but I think that is incorrect. They just lease the property and they subleased it to Bow Tie for the remainder of their lease. What I don’t understand is why there is not a big movement to LANDMARK the Ziegfeld! It is old enough, it is architecturally and culturally important and is the land of the Movie Palaces to be constructed in the city. What more do we need?

LuisV commented about Carolina Theatre on Jun 25, 2015 at 9:59 pm

This appeared in today’s Charlotte Observer. It looks like this project is a go. Per the article it does not appear like it will function in any way as a true theater and that’s very disappointing.

“Despite its theatrical history, the renovated Carolina Theatre is being designed to serve as more of a civic gathering space with 1,000 seats for public discourse, including speeches, lectures, debates and conferences. Proposed plans for the renovated theatre include expanding outward with a main lobby that will replace the park currently located on Tryon and upward with three floors of office space and a boutique hotel.”

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Jun 18, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Mike, I full hear what you are saying and I would like to agree, but……..there is nothing that says “Theatre” than a Blade! I want a Blade to return to the Kings and also to the Loew’s Jersey.

LuisV commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 29, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Seems to me the best of both worlds would be to bring in AEG to work WITH Friends of Loews to finish the restoration of the grand theater along with installing AC and hopefully restoring the Blade while REQUIRING that showing films always be a part of the programming at the Loews Jersey! They have the desperately needed money. Why is that a problem??

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Apr 15, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Agreed about Disney! We cannot lose this theater. I also don’t understand why this theater is not landmarked. It is a beautiful example of a 60’s Movie Palace, the last of its kind and should be preserved.

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Thanks Mike, I have no idea why it wasn’t popping up in my Theater/Theatre search nor was it in the Brooklyn Search. But I got an email notifying me when you posted there so thank you! This is great News! Now if someone would only save the Loew’s Canal!

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Today it was announced that LIU will be embarking on a $50MM renovation of the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre which has been used as an Athletic facility for the college for the last 50 years! The restoration will take about two years! Amazingly I have search CT for the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre and can’t find it. There is another Paramount listed in Bushwick. It must be here, no?? :–) http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/04/08/reborn_paramount_theater_in_brooklyn_will_look_like_this.php#more

LuisV commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jan 30, 2015 at 3:25 pm

HUGE Big News! The Brooklyn Paramount is returning to public use as a music venue! Not a lot of details but I’m sure more to come!

LuisV commented about Uptown Theatre on Jan 27, 2015 at 12:04 am

Until recently, arguably, the two most magnificent of the world’s remaining unrenovated theaters were the Uptown in Chicago and the Loew’s Kings in Brooklyn. That title now belongs to the Uptown alone! The Loew’s Kings $95MM restoration and expansion has been completed! Here is a great link to some incredible photographs of the fully restored masterpiece by Rapp & Rapp. FREE Tours to the public will be offered on Saturday, February 7th from 12:00 – 4:00 PM! I can’t wait to see it for myself! The first event, a sold out performance by Diana Ross, is on February 3rd!!!!! I hope this gives fans of the Uptown in Chicago some hope! http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/01/26/behold_brooklyns_magnificently_restored_kings_theatre.php#more

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Jan 26, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Here is a great link to some incredible photographs of the fully restored Loew’s Kings Theatre! FREE Tours to the public will be offered on Saturday, February 7th from 12:00 – 4:00 PM! I can’t wait to see it for myself! http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/01/26/behold_brooklyns_magnificently_restored_kings_theatre.php#more

LuisV commented about Boyd Theatre on Jan 21, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Wait, What? The iPic plan is dead? So what now? How much demolition has occurred? What the heck happened?

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 11, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Cablevision does NOT owns the site/building. It is owned by a billionaire whose name escapes me.

LuisV commented about Paris Theatre on Dec 16, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I usually have an amazing experience when visiting the Ziegfeld; including recent visits to see Interstellar (when the curtains were used) and Mockingjay (when they were not). I do wish they used the curtains at ALL times. I will be back on Christmas Day to see Into The Woods!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Rats! I would have gone earlier in the day! Will have to wait until Christmas Day!

LuisV commented about Kings Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:21 pm

The Grand Opening is scheduled for February 3rd with a performance by none other than Diana Ross! Tickets went on sale today. Also announced that tours of the theater will be offered as part of the open ing festivities, but I don’t have any details on that.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Christmas EVE?? All day Christmas Eve??? Hmmmm……I’m changing my plans!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 17, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I’m not an expert, but though I did think the sound at Inerstellar was less than ideal, it had nothing to do with the Ziegfeld. I had no problems at all with the sound during the previews. I think the sound at the Ziegfeld is magnificent and one of many reasons that I see movies here.

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I assume the Ziegfeld will be screening the newest Hunger Games installment at Thanksgiving as well as Into The Woods at Christmas?????

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 10, 2014 at 12:06 am

I attended the 6:45 show Saturday night and the orchestra sections appeared to be about 70% filled. It was the first time I had seen the curtains used in a long time and it brought a big smile to my face and a warm feeling in my heart. My nephew was attending for the first time and he loved it! Another Ziegfeld fan is born!

LuisV commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 8, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Going tonight! Does anyone know if Into The Woods will open at The Ziegfeld (as most musicals do)?