Comments from markp

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,362 comments

markp commented about Lunt-Fontanne Theatre on Apr 22, 2017 at 10:16 pm

My wife does day work on
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and is a wardrobe attendant on Broadway Bandstand at the Bernard Jacobs.

markp
markp commented about Showcase Cinema de Lux Ridge Hill on Apr 16, 2017 at 4:11 am

According to news reports there was a fatal shooting at this theatre last night

markp commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 12, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Sad to say, but I was really looking forward to seeing a show at the Kings, but now I will have to think twice.

markp commented about Loew's State Theatre on Apr 12, 2017 at 8:13 pm

I must admit it was better when all the grind houses were there.

markp commented about Film Reels in Amboy Cinema on Apr 5, 2017 at 1:24 pm

It looks like a shipping reel from Technicolor. The orange label is a dead giveaway. By this time film companies used plastic shipping reels and they used the old metal ones for spacers.

markp commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Apr 1, 2017 at 6:40 am

Guess the wiz bangs that run the equipment never heard of Lens adjust which is on every digital projector, or changing the xenon bulb that probably has a few thousand hours on it.

markp commented about AMC Garden State 16 on Apr 1, 2017 at 6:37 am

Good old management run projection at its best

markp commented about Amboy Cinemas Lobby 2016 on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:49 am

If you had gone up to the concession stand you would have seen the collapsed floor which caused the closure.

markp commented about Amboy Cinema Theater on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:47 am

This is either Cinema 8 or 14. I know this because we removed the screens from those theatres in 2008.

markp commented about Amboy Cinema Theater Seats on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:45 am

From the looks of it, with the double portholes and that office extension on the left, which was built years later, this is Cinema 8, or the original Cinema 2 when it opened in 1979

markp commented about Film Reels in Amboy Cinema on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:41 am

Cinema 8 projector. Original Cinema 2

markp commented about Amboy Cinema Projector on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:40 am

Cinema 13 projector. Original Cinema 5

markp commented about Amboy Multiplex Cinemas on Mar 30, 2017 at 12:39 am

While I agree with you about not going in there, thanks for the photos, particularly the projection room. I spent 21 years working in that booth. The theater you took the photo with no screen has to be either 8 or 14. We removed those screens in dec 2008 to take to the Ritz in Elizabeth. I think a lot of the water damage is from the fact vandals have stripped the a/c units on the roof.

markp commented about Loew's State Theatre on Mar 27, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Mikeoaklandpark, I remember also getting the NY papers to see the ads and showtimes of all the theatres. That’s something that’s missing these days. And its sad how many of the grand old palaces in NY and Philly as well as NJ have all been demolished.

markp commented about Loew's State Theatre on Mar 24, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Mikeoaklandpark, I remember we were sitting up in the balcony. It was quite awesome for a little boy in the third grade. Of course my father enjoyed it too, since he was a projectionist in many central New Jersey theatres

markp commented about Loew's State Theatre on Mar 22, 2017 at 11:34 pm

I should add to the above comment, he wrote Loews State Theatre New York.

markp commented about Loew's State Theatre on Mar 22, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Recently when cleaning out my childhood home, I came across a souvenier book from the movie “Doctor Doolittle.” My father wrote the date March 18, 1968 on the inside cover. I remember going there as part of a class trip. It was still a huge single screen then.

markp commented about UA Lafayette Square 1 & 2 on Mar 18, 2017 at 6:31 pm

I’m curious if it was like our Jerry Lewis Twin in Carteret NJ, where cinema one was a blue scheme, and cinema two was a red scheme. And the two were separated by the concession stand in the lobby.

markp commented about Bow-Tie Mount Kisco Cinemas on Mar 17, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Another of the many former clearview theatres whose screens my wife and I would clean. I agree they were super small. Theres only so much you can do in a building that wasn’t big to begin with

markp commented about Lyric Theatre on Mar 3, 2017 at 9:46 pm

My wife currently works at the new Lyric on Paramour, for a few more weeks till it closes. She tells me Harry Potter is going in there and they are removing close to 500 seats and extending the stage.

markp commented about Middlebrook Galleria Cinemas on Jan 22, 2017 at 9:51 pm

According to Cinegrands facebook page they have reopened as of this past Friday Jan 20. They posted photos and all. Looks really nice.

markp commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jan 19, 2017 at 10:49 pm

We ran the DCP last summer at the Basie

markp
markp commented about Staten Island, NY - UA movie theater and Toys R Us to close in Hylan Plaza on Jan 18, 2017 at 2:52 pm

I would have to assume Regal would have first crack at getting the new theatre. Either them or AMC.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jan 13, 2017 at 8:42 pm

I remember when we ran the original Star Wars in 1977 at the GCC Menlo Park Twin. Those were some days that will never ever be duplicated

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jan 13, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Once again I will say, all you folks with the 3D and 3D glasses and laser etc really cracks me up. Give me a good old 35MM or 70MM film presentation that I can sit anywhere in the theatre and not worry about right eye left eye, turning my head, filters not being removed and all the other crap digital has brought about. Maybe its because I ran film for 41 years, but at least you guys give me a good laugh.