Comments from markp

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,267 comments

markp commented about Royal Theatre on Apr 26, 2016 at 2:45 pm

lorib, no relation. Sorry

markp commented about Ritz Theater on Apr 5, 2016 at 10:39 am

In recent days there appears to be some activity going on around the building. It looks like perhaps the old electric service has been disconnected or is being readied for the new project about to get underway.

markp commented about Regal Union Square Stadium 14 on Mar 26, 2016 at 2:43 pm

No they did not Mike (saps). They welcomed it. Of course the movies that were made with those processes were movies with real stories, not the 90% of the crap they put out today. Just my opinion.

markp commented about Regal Union Square Stadium 14 on Mar 25, 2016 at 11:37 am

hdtv267, I thought so too. I think they are talking about all the ra ra bells and whistles and crap that I have no desire to sit thru. Being a projectionist since 1975 and coming from a family of projectionists, I could care less about shaking seats, recliners, spraying scents, digital laser crap, and sound that blows my eardrums out. But yes it seems that’s all that matters these days here, especially for a few select AMC plexes.

markp commented about Regal Union Square Stadium 14 on Mar 24, 2016 at 12:00 pm

I’ll wait for the blu-rays, Thanks

markp commented about Ritz Theater on Mar 7, 2016 at 11:34 am

Just drove by it today. There is a huge banner hung on the side of the building. It says “Carteret Performing Arts Center” 1600 seat auditorium. Live entertainment and broadway shows. Opening 2018.

markp commented about Northpark West 1 & 2 on Mar 7, 2016 at 11:29 am

Thanks for the info on the layout and the exaggerating GM’s

markp commented about Carmike Cranford on Mar 5, 2016 at 5:46 am

I can see this theatre closing once AMC assumes control of it after the Carmike purchase is complete.

markp commented about Carmike Rialto Westfield on Mar 5, 2016 at 5:43 am

Since AMC just purchased Carmike (this is currently a Carmike Theatre) I can see this place closing once AMC assumes control.

markp commented about Northpark West 1 & 2 on Mar 5, 2016 at 5:37 am

Guess it would have helped to see the grand opening ad see it was built as a twin.

markp commented about Northpark West 1 & 2 on Mar 5, 2016 at 5:35 am

I was curious if this was a split down the middle theatre or twinned as an add on. Also to CaptainRob, I think your old UA GM had inflated the price of that print back in 84. I just ran the Hateful 8 over Christmas in 70MM in New York City. I had been in contact with Weinstein Pictures directly and was told the entire 3 hour and 7 min print cost was just over $25,000.00. And my print ran 2 weeks with zero issues.

markp commented about Shore Theatre on Mar 5, 2016 at 5:30 am

EcRocker, Im sure something would be addressed about the stage door issue. Many years ago (mid 80’s) when we had live shows at the Ritz Theatre in Elizabeth NJ, our stage door was on Jefferson St with parking, etc. The city would just close off that one block to traffic on load in days. Not the best scenario, but it worked.

markp commented about Mahoning Valley Cinema on Feb 26, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Small world. My best friend was the manager who opened the place. I cleaned the screens there a few times when I had my business. Hope all is well. I was a projectionist at many GCC sites including Menlo Park, Woodbridge, Blue Star, Brunswick and Bridgewater from 1977 till the early 2000’s. I lasted full time until May 2013 when digital finally got me. Im a stagehand now mostly at the Prudential Center in Newark NJ.

markp commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Feb 26, 2016 at 6:21 am

We shouldn’t lose hope in the Keiths. As bad a shape as shes in, the RKO Proctors in Newark NJ has been sitting abandoned since the mid 60’s. Still standing. Still waiting.

markp commented about Amboy Multiplex Cinemas on Feb 23, 2016 at 7:38 am

They are still remediating the land where the theatre and retail will be sitting. They have years of clean up to do from the old national lead plant that was there. And this new theatre will be on the west side of the parkway, as you drive going south. My idea for the drive in where the current theatre sits is between routes 9 and 35, on to the east of the parkway. Could be a real money maker for 9 months of the year.

markp commented about Amboy Multiplex Cinemas on Feb 22, 2016 at 4:10 am

Yes. Tear it down and put up a 4 screen drive in.

markp commented about Majestic Theater on Feb 19, 2016 at 9:45 am

Awesome work as always walterk. Thanks for taking the time to look into the history of these theatres. As I told you in the past, the only theatre I was ever involved with in Carteret was the Jerry Lewis Twin, which opened on June 7, 1972. Dad returned there to open that as its projectionist and stayed right up till the end in late 1984. Its too bad dad isn’t around or Im sure he could give you even more insight.

markp commented about Forum Theatre Arts Center on Feb 13, 2016 at 2:24 pm

If you were there in the late 70’s thru the time they sold it in 1983 then you remember I was the projectionist there. And your family also owned the State in Woodbridge where my father was the projectionist, along with me at the Forum.

markp commented about Forum Theatre Arts Center on Feb 11, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Wow. The old E-7’s and Peerless arc lamps are gone. And the booth is all white. I think it was a shade of brown and yellow when I left there in june of 1983

markp commented about Forum Theatre Arts Center on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:42 am

One option could be to put a dividing wall across the front of the balcony. Make it a twin cinema and then he can again show movies. With 2 screens even if one movie is doing poorly the other one might be ok. And you would have a larger cinema downstairs and a smaller one upstairs. I floated this idea around back in the late 70’s/early 80’s when both my father and I were the projectionists here. The owners at that time were getting ready to retire and did not want to put that kind of money into the place.

markp commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 2, 2016 at 7:29 am

Never gonna happen at Radio City as long as cablevision owns it.

markp commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 26, 2016 at 5:07 am

Im hoping my wife or someone can help me with the whole cut and paste thing so I can view the video. Im not good when it comes to that.

markp commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 23, 2016 at 5:33 am

And thanks to Mike (saps) for the suggestion of the curtain photo. With that said, lets all leave it there now and forever, as this is how we want to remember our Ziegfeld.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jan 22, 2016 at 4:02 am

AMC PRIME is the same thing as REGAL RPX. Just another reason for them to charge the public more money.

markp commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 21, 2016 at 5:29 am

While this is very sad, I am so glad that I got to experience 70MM in this great venue one last time when I saw “Interstellar” there in 2014. It is a shame this beautiful theater is closing, but times and peoples habits have changed. As hdtv267 said above, people today go where the recliners and all the bells and whistles are. As much as I hate to admit it, my wife and I are guilty of the same thing. You will never be forgotten Ziegfeld Theatre.