Comments from markp

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,293 comments

markp commented about AMC Clifton Commons 16 on Aug 25, 2016 at 8:39 am

And now you know why RHETT52, long time projectionists like myself who cared and gave 110% are no longer employed and why theres no more film. I see these digital downloads at the theatre I do projection once in a while. These kids don’t understand 2:35 or 1:85. If they would print flat or scope you might have a chance. And I love that excuse, that’s the way they sent it. Might have worked in the old days when a print was scratched but no more. The business has really gone down hill the past 10 to 15 years.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Aug 24, 2016 at 3:06 pm

I loved the sound of the old film projectors. And in my 37 full time years as a projectionist, I never scratched film, even my 12 years in the adult theatres. I cared for the film and kept my projectors spotless.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:28 am

I agree with you on all points hdtv267. I might add that as a 40 year veteran projectionist, I personally am not a fan of digital, since it put me out of work 3 years ago, and I could care less about digital imax or laser or anything else. To me its getting all out of control, and going to the movies just isn’t what it use to be. Yes I’m an old fuddy duddy. You can say it.

markp commented about Middlebrook Galleria Cinemas on Aug 20, 2016 at 2:16 pm

According to the website, still no showtimes listed. Is it possible this place has been closed for renovations since the early spring??

markp commented about Pelham Road Cinema 10 on Aug 20, 2016 at 9:31 am

Wow. A 10 screen theatre lasting only 8 years.

markp commented about Movies & Games by Haywood Mall on Aug 20, 2016 at 9:24 am

The overview says one screen, but if you look at the opening day ad and figure out whats doubled up, it looks to me like its a 6 screen theatre.

markp commented about AMC Headquarters Theatres on Aug 19, 2016 at 7:48 pm

When Clearview use to operate this theatre, I was the screen cleaner for them. I hated going to this theatre as parking was a disaster, especially when I had to haul up cleaning supplies and such. And yes the theatres are on 2 levels, and you cannot get from one to the other. Since I use to go in after the theatre closed, it was sometimes a 2 day trip because if I got onto one level, I couldn’t get to the other one. Was never a fan of this place.

markp commented about Loew's Victoria Theatre on Aug 18, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Another one into the dumpster. Really really sad

markp
markp commented about Georgia Square Mall Cinemas 1 2 3 4 on Aug 18, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Always loved your intro up top. A true theatre guy just like myself.

markp commented about Whitestone Multiplex Cinemas on Aug 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm

3 years is nothing. The old Amboys Multiplex in Sayreville NJ has been sitting empty for 11 years.

markp commented about Ritz Theater on Aug 12, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Thanks for posting my uncles photo walterk

markp commented about Kings Theatre on Aug 11, 2016 at 1:24 pm

walterk, I am trying to co-ordinate with my wife to take one of these tours in the coming months. We shall see.

markp commented about Kings Theatre on Aug 9, 2016 at 6:42 am

Admittingly, I completely forgot about this until a friend of mine posted on facebook that he was there. By then it was too late for me to start driving to get there. I would have loved to be there. This was the event I wanted to go to so I could see the renovated theatre.

markp commented about Brook Arts Center on Aug 6, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Anything going on with this place?? Shows, movies etc?

markp commented about Shore 4 Theater on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:14 am

All the photos seem to have been removed

markp commented about Strand Theater on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:04 am

Was in Wildwood yesterday for the first time in many years. The Strand is closed. All retail now. Same for the Ocean Theatre a few blocks down. There is this big water slide attraction where the Shore Theatre once stood. Its so sad. I remember in the 80’s going to all those theatres.

markp commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jul 13, 2016 at 11:50 am

NewYorker64, my wife was one of the many dressers on last years show, which was awesome. (sad to say shes not working it this year, shes the head dresser on Cirque Paramour at the Lyric.) Ive heard nothing but good things about it. She will probably be back for the equally great Christmas show in the fall.

markp commented about Morris County Mall Twin on Jul 8, 2016 at 2:24 pm

misterrick, I did not know any of the projectionists from the union up there. I only did matinee shows when they couldn’t fill them. The manager when I worked there was a guy named Ralph Siroli, a quite weird little guy. I remember John Monsport from the 80’s. I do agree with ianz, it was a nice little theatre.

markp commented about Woodbridge General Cinemas II on Jul 7, 2016 at 4:05 pm

A Blue Ale House Resturant is being built into the area near where the screen and stage house use to be.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 3, 2016 at 8:08 am

hdtv267, as much as I love film, having been a union projectionist for 40 years, even I have to admit the film is dead. I didn’t want to believe it 3 years ago when I lost my full time job, but aside from being able to run Hateful 8 in 70MM over Christmas holidays, even now I can see film is dead. Ive come to accept (not mean like) digital, and Ive not seen any laser. So all these people who keep wondering, well keep wondering, because even this old seasoned veteran projectionist can tell you film is dead.

markp commented about AMC Garden State 16 on Jun 25, 2016 at 3:39 am

hdtv267, I’m more surprised they actually got thru to talk to a “real” person.

markp commented about Valleyview Cinemas on Jun 1, 2016 at 7:11 am

Yes CJ1949 is correct. My father was a projectionist at the Jerry Lewis Twin Cinema in Carteret. Opened on 6/7/1972. That first year was fantastic but as soon as 1973 started, the movie bookings went double feature, prices were reduced and soon payroll wasn’t being met. He stopped getting payroll checks from Network Cinema Corp in March 73 and from then on it was run by an independent. Kind of sad in a way because it was a nice little twin in a great shopping center right off exit 12 of the turnpike.

markp
markp commented about The interior of the rebuilt Lebowsky Center on May 29, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Very nice. Not too crazy about the multi colored seats.

markp commented about Globe Theater on May 24, 2016 at 8:49 am

RobertEndres, I worked for the same owner of this theatre when it was an adult theatre. I worked for the Sayrewoods Theatre in Old Bridge NJ, which had Century projectors and Peerless arc lamps, till we went xenon in 1985. We too were always paid cash, and I remember getting a lot of my prints from the Globe after they ran them. Always covered with oil. I worked part time for 12 years in my theatre, from 1978 till 1990 when it was demolished for a highway project

markp commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on May 10, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Great job. Still cant believe its gone. Many great movies played there over its lifetime