Comments from markp

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,411 comments

markp commented about AMC Empire 25 on Dec 7, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Word is that Regal across the street is going to have Last Jedi on all 13 screens the first week.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Dec 2, 2017 at 12:50 pm

We did very good business with MOTOE. Weekend crowds sold out the theatre (375 seats). Even week night early shows did well. The theatre upstairs ran JL in 70MM for only 9 days. Warners wanted to cut their losses early. We ended up having 83 showings between Nov 9 and 30th. And what helped was this was the only screen showing it in the complex. You had to see it in 70MM or go elsewhere.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 26, 2017 at 10:14 am

As of now the 70MM MOTOE is scheduled to end Wednesday the 29th

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 16, 2017 at 5:47 pm

15MM70 we run a digital back up but after a few hiccups on Friday it has not been needed since.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 16, 2017 at 4:32 am

HowardBHass, It is trust me. I kid a lot of my friends that I always wanted to go to the Kings Theatre and wish I could have worked there. Now that I’m running MOTOE in theatre 2, I can say I did (sort of). The reason this happened is Fox couldn’t reach an agreement with Warners on the use of the equipment from H8 and Dunkirk. So another company brought in 70MM equipment and it was put in the theatre that was pre wired for Tribeca Film Festival.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 15, 2017 at 6:47 pm

15MM70. I am working all day Friday and Thanksgiving. Sat night and mon tues wed matinees. Theatre 2 is fully masked top and bottom. I am not involved with Auditorium 1. That has a separate projection crew.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 15, 2017 at 4:52 am

I am the projectionist for MOTOE. So far presentation has been spot on since Saturday. (We had some DTS issues FRiday) Screen properly masked and everything. I saw the two who will be running JL. I’m not saying a word.

markp commented about City Cinemas Village East on Nov 14, 2017 at 5:04 am

xbs2034, I wasn’t there for that one. I was at Radio City watching the Christmas Spectacular. (My wife is a dresser there). I’m doing all the matinees everyday plus fri and sat night. Our picture does look good, I must admit.

markp commented about City Cinemas Village East on Nov 13, 2017 at 5:22 pm

xbs2034 I am the projectionist running it at Lincoln Square. What show did you see it? I am one of 3.

markp commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 10, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Saw it last night. Awesome as always

markp commented about AMC Empire 25 on Nov 9, 2017 at 8:03 am

I have a question. As an old time (41 years) projectionist, all I ever had to worry about was Flat (1.85) or Scope (2.25). What the heck is Pillarboxing? Must be a digital thing. Oh and btw, I hate these theatres with no masking.

markp commented about Kings Theatre on Nov 3, 2017 at 11:00 am

Orlando, sorry to hear this. I like you, have memories of some old theatres here in NJ. I am now the house projectionist at the Union County Arts Center, and I try to get more classic films in there. I am also trying to get equipment installed and running at the Brook Arts Center in Bound Brook. Lots of hurdles. Money. Management. But I will not give up. I, like you, have it in our blood.

markp
markp commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Oct 30, 2017 at 2:29 pm

bigjoe59, there are no projectionists in the booth anymore. Everything is run by a computer. If a manager turns the sound up for one show, they probably don’t remember to go back and turn it down. Welcome to the age of digital.

markp commented about Amboys Drive-In on Oct 17, 2017 at 10:50 am

The Drive in closed the first week of January 1979. Construction started on the 6 screen Amboys Cinemas thereafter. The 6 plex opened Dec 7, 1979.

markp commented about Regal E-Walk Stadium 13 on Sep 20, 2017 at 8:06 am

They were doing the renovations when I worked there running Dunkirk in July. 4 theatres at a time.

markp commented about Ritz Theatre on Sep 11, 2017 at 11:38 am

Drove by what was the old Ritz Theatre. They are filling in the hole in the ground that was the basement under the lobby. There is a new construction trailer across the street in the vacant lot. I wonder if this is for the replacement that will be built.

markp commented about Carteret Twin Cinema on Sep 11, 2017 at 11:35 am

The shopping center this theatre was in is undergoing a major facelift. When they took down the current fa├žade, the old white aluminum that was on each side of the old marquee made its appearance once more. For at least a few days its a reminder of the old days of the Jerry Lewis Twin Cinema.

markp commented about Ritz Theatre on Aug 30, 2017 at 7:51 am

Nothing but a hole in the ground and a pile of rubble. Very sad.

markp commented about Valleyview Cinemas on Aug 20, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Yup, He died 45 years after his theatres did.

markp commented about Woodbridge General Cinemas II on Aug 17, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Yes the Woodbridge was a nice theatre even after it was twinned. I was the first employee hired by Bob when GCC took it over. I loved doing the marquees. I also have many great memories of Menlo Park. I would return to both theatres as a projectionist in the mid 80’s (85). I would be the last projectionist at Menlo along with my partner Ed. Many great memories.

markp commented about Regal E-Walk Stadium 13 on Aug 6, 2017 at 1:27 pm

I’m happy to report that our 70MM print of “Dunkirk” went out in the same pristine condition it was received in. As a matter of fact it is being shipped back to Warner Brothers to be used for select future screenings.

markp commented about City Cinemas Village East on Jul 27, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Its even better at the Regal E Walk on 42nd St

markp
markp commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Jul 22, 2017 at 5:55 pm

I do a pretty good job of projecting 70MM at the Regal E Walk up in Times Square.

markp commented about Amboy Multiplex Cinemas on Jul 19, 2017 at 6:33 am

Highly doubtful. With all the water that’s leaked in over the years the moisture has probably caused a lot of damage.

markp commented about Amboy Multiplex Cinemas on Jul 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Ive been saying a nice 4 screen drive in would be a hit. 2 larger screens by the river, and 2 smaller ones by the former circle. Open it up from mid march till mid November. It would be a gold mine