Comments from markp

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,069 comments

markp commented about Los Angeles Theatre on Oct 25, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Beautiful Theatre. AS a former projectionist, I loved the shots of the projection room.

markp commented about Los Angeles Theatre on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Is this the theatre featured in the Capitol Cities video Safe and Sound?? If it is there is a great shot of the projection room at 1:11 of the video.

markp commented about Plainfield Edison Drive-In on Oct 23, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Just curious, it was an old UA indoor/outdoor. If the indoor was 2, which it was after twinningt, and the drive in was a single screen, shouldnt it be listed as 3 screens? And then there would still be the seat count for the indoor.

markp commented about Royal Theatre on Oct 23, 2014 at 1:02 pm

My father was a projectionist here from 1967 till early 1972. I was the last projectionist to work here in 1988.

markp commented about Blue Star Cinema on Oct 23, 2014 at 12:54 pm

This week marks 16 years since this theatre closed. A question: If the original theatre was 1250 seats, shouldn’t the seat count be higher since they added an addition to the building in the early 70’s ? I think that was a 500 seat addition? Maybe rrettino would know.

markp commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Oct 23, 2014 at 12:49 pm

They started with the ending 9 prices about a month ago here in New Jersey.

markp commented about Ritz Theater on Oct 23, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I’ll see what I can do walterk. Im at the arena 8 am to load in a show. Its at least 8 hrs if not more. And if I get showcall I dont leave at all. We shall see. I drove by last week. The big demo dumpster was gone and nothing happening. All doors were locked. Gonna check again next week.

markp commented about Radio City Music Hall on Oct 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I hope your right Vito. I wish one day I could see the booth at RCMH, but I know its a pipe dream.

markp commented about Ritz Theater on Oct 23, 2014 at 7:47 am

And you know walterk, that Joe was my father.

markp commented about Cinema 304 on Oct 23, 2014 at 7:44 am

Yes Jack I agree with you about the twinning. I was the screen cleaner for Clearview at the time. Cinema 6 is a crackerbox. The 304 was a nice size decent theatre.

markp commented about Radio City Music Hall on Oct 23, 2014 at 7:38 am

My wife is once again a dresser on the Christmas show. I will probably be there the day of the last dress rehersals, as always. Lets hope the 70mm stays forever. I miss being a projectionist. Damn digital.

markp commented about AMC Aviation 12 on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:17 am

The mall this theatre is in was actually planned back in the 90’s. General Cinema originally was going to build there. Years of back and forth between state and local leaders caused the project to not start years later after GCC was long gone.

markp commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:45 am

To answer your question thebrat, todays projectionists arent projectionists. All these chains got rid of us professionals years ago. I managed to hang on for a total of 37 years by working my last 10 for an independant after the union got thrown out by clearview. And joemasher, will 70mm be at the Zieg for the entire run?? Im planning on going in the 2nd week, as I cannot make it the first 9 days its there.

markp commented about Bala Theatre on Oct 18, 2014 at 6:02 am

I use to clean the screens for Cablevision when they had the theatre and until they felt that was a waste of money. This is a very beautiful theatre. The triplexing was done very nicely. I hope you can still do 35mm stuff. I, as a now former projectionist, after 38 years, love to see folks who still embrace film over digital.

markp commented about All Jersey Multiplex Cinemas on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Your Welcome.

markp
markp commented about Theater owners complain about Interstellar film release on Oct 12, 2014 at 3:16 pm

moviebuff, the only theatre I saw in NJ gonna play it in 35 mm is the Lincoln Cinemas in Kearney

markp commented about All Jersey Multiplex Cinemas on Oct 11, 2014 at 5:31 pm

This is the theatre your thinking about. Also the Amboys Multiplex opened in 1979 and closed in 2005.

markp
markp commented about Theater owners complain about Interstellar film release on Oct 11, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Good for Nolan. Keep it up. This whole push to digital was stupid and only the smart theatres retained some of their film equipment.

markp commented about All Jersey Multiplex Cinemas on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:42 am

On my way into the city yesterday on the bus, for the first time in 3 months, the theatre is now nothing but a very small pile of rubble. And yes the Multiplex sign by the turnpike is still there as is the marquee by rte 1. A For Sale sign hangs from it.

markp
markp commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 8, 2014 at 12:31 pm

As a former projectionist with over 38 years expierience, I couldnt have said it better myself RogerA. Kudo’s.

markp commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I plan on going there to see it in 70MM. It will be a pleasure to watch a movie on FILM instead of digital.

markp commented about Ritz Theater on Oct 4, 2014 at 9:51 am

walterk, about 3 weeks ago I drove by here on my way to work. There was a large container dumpster outside. I guess it was for all the interior demo that was going on. On my way in 2 days ago the dumpster was gone and all appears quiet for now.

markp commented about Eric I & II on Oct 1, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Anytime L. Weigard.

markp commented about Hazlet 12 on Oct 1, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Vito, I worked all summer on a renovation at the AMC mountainside theatre. Same thing happened there. Some theatres seat capacities were cut in half. 200 seat theatres suddenly had 100 seats.

markp
markp commented about Beloved Marin cinema could be torn down for housing on Oct 1, 2014 at 12:45 pm

So why dont Lucas or Spielberg buy it and save it?