Comments from matt54

matt54 commented about Oriental Theater on Oct 4, 2013 at 3:18 pm

jamestv, I’m glad you posted this comment about the projection booth and its angle to the screen, because I remembered that from the one and only time I was ever in the Coronet (as I believe it was still called at that time) – which was to see a revival of “Ben-Hur” in a perfect print (I’m guessing it was a 35mm anamorphic job). There were parts of the picture that were slightly out of focus, I believe over on the far right-hand side, but it did not seem to detract from our enjoyment of the film. As I recall, the place was packed – this was in the summer of 1977.

matt54 commented about Panamericano Theatre on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm

jamestv, do you know anything about the Auto-Vista Drive-In owned by Mr. Rodriguez and referred to in the Boxoffice article posted by Tinseltoes? I had never heard of this theatre before reading this article. I don’t think it ever advertised in the Dallas papers, at least not consistently.

matt54 commented about Plaza Theater on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Oct 16, 1948 issue of Boxoffice states that the “new” Plaza, to be opened on McKinney near Haskell, has a target opening of December, 1948. Owner is listed as M.S. White, “well-known showman and businessman…”

matt54 commented about Crystal Theatre on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Very interesting, Joe – thanks for reposting!

matt54 commented about Capri Theatre on Jul 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Can anyone comment on when the Melba vertical sign came down? It was still up as late as 1942.

matt54 commented about East Main Drive-In on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:38 pm

drivein2001, I think you’re talking about three different Jefferson/SR 180 (the twin highways) drive-ins; the Jefferson Drive-In is the farthest east, in Oak Cliff. It was located on Jefferson Ave. and was always a single-screen, never a twin.

Moving along Jefferson toward Grand Prairie, you then come to the Twin Highways, originally a single-screen between the highways with entrances from either; eventually this one was twinned, giving its name a dual meaning, by simply building another screen/projection room on the lot immediately to the east. After being twinned, this theatre was advertised simply as the Twin Drive-In. It was never (officially, at least) named the Jefferson Twin, though that might have been a local casual reference, i.e. “the Twin on Jefferson.”

Continuing toward Grand Prairie, you then came to the East Main, originally built as the Chisholm Trail.

Finally, considerably farther into town, you’d come to the Century 4, originally built as the single-screen Downs.

The McLendons did, as you said, eventually acquire the Twin Highways, the Chisholm Trail, and the Downs. They advertised the Twin Highways as the Twin; the Chisholm Trail as the East Main; and the Downs as the Century 4.

matt54 commented about Casa View Drive-In on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:19 am

glasspolish, you are so right about direction – east is right and west is left!

matt54 commented about Cinemark Hollywood USA on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:02 am

This theatre also hosts, in conjunction with Fathom Events and/or Turner Classic Movies, a Classic Films Series that features digitally-restored classic films, projected via a digital nation-wide feed; some auditoriums have had the screens enlarged so that they are almost wall-to-wall, and floor-to-ceiling, yet the Cinemark website does not list this venue as having their Next-Gen or XD auditoriums yet.

At any rate, projection and sound are absolutely first-rate.

matt54 commented about Palms Drive-In on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:44 am

Drive-In 1954: I plan to, as soon as I nail down the street address; of course, if you have that info, go ahead and establish a page. It can always be added to as more info comes in.

I plan to add the Fiesta (McAllen), the Buckhorn (Mission), the Pan Am (Edinburg), and another Edinburg Drive-In for which, so far, I can find no name but which was located in an orange grove east of town on SH 107. Drove past all these locations yesterday.

matt54 commented about Palms Drive-In on Jun 8, 2013 at 1:28 am

Chuck, funny story about the Valley (1971-2001). We had just moved to McAllen and it was still open; all that first year, I said “we’ve got to take the kids to a drive-in.” Never did.

One Saturday, we have to drive right past it to do some shopping in Mission. In fact, the freeway entrance is right by the drive-in. “Jurassic Park 3” is on the marquee. My wife and I agree “tonight’s the night.”

We tell the kids, and they’re all excited. Shopping in Mission takes all morning and all afternoon. We’re driving back home. We miss the exit – because the drive-in is gone! One morning & afternoon was all it took!

matt54 commented about Palms Drive-In on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:21 pm

jwmovies: I now believe the address you gave for the Palms (and the drive-in I refer to in my post of 12:19 pm, above) is actually for the Fiesta, for which no page currently exists.

I have it on local (McAllen) authority that the Palms was located at the corner of Nolana and N. 10th St. (SH 336). That would put it in the 78501 zip code given in the address at the top of the page. I don’t know what the exact street address number was.

matt54 commented about Citrus Theater on Jun 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

mr92849: do you have any memory of a small drive-in theatre located in the middle of a small orchard that is clearly visible in the 1961 view of the intersection of E. University Dr. (SH 107) and S. Raul Longoria Rd. on Historic Aerials?

Chuck1231, any mention of this small drive-in in “The Book”?

matt54 commented about Juarez Drive-In on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I don’t believe the old Route 1 designation maps out correctly; 1st St. is not necessarily “Route 1.” Besides, the land doesn’t look like it ever would have been a good spot for a drive-in. Too hemmed in between street and canal.

Anyone have a more specific address than Route 1?

matt54 commented about Wes-Mer Drive-In on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:05 pm

My wife and I go to the Wes-Mer at least once a summer. Nice place, clean, with a good concession stand, good projection and a good family crowd that enjoys first-run double-features.

matt54 commented about Rio Theater on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Looks like the Santa Cruz Daycare Center is in the building next to the old Rio, but does not occupy the Rio itself.

matt54 commented about Palms Drive-In on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:19 pm

There is a flea market there now. From the air, you can see the flea market occupies the exact footprint of the old drive-in, as clearly seen in the google maps view.

matt54 commented about Capitan Theatre on Jun 7, 2013 at 9:51 am

Historic Aerials' latest view of the intersection of Henderson and Capitol showing the theatre building is 1958; next view is 1972, and the building is gone.

matt54 commented about Delman Theatre on Jun 6, 2013 at 10:39 am

4826 Lemmon Ave. maps the Delman to have fronted on Lemmon – it was actually about a block off Lemmon at the intersection of King’s Rd. with Raleigh.

Go by the address listed in the ad (Lemmon at Raleigh) to find the building on HistoricAerials; unfortunately, that address will not map properly on GoogleMaps because, although Raleigh still exists as a roadbed, it is now a passageway through the parking lot of an auto dealership.

A new street, which cuts off from King’s Rd. at an angle to the original Raleigh, now carries that name.

matt54 commented about Fine Arts Theater on May 19, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Since this theatre closed as the Fine Arts (name changed from Varsity about 1957), it should really be listed as Fine Arts, with Varsity as an aka.

matt54 commented about Knox Theater on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Chuck, I sure don’t. Sorry.

matt54 commented about Knox Theater on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:21 pm

The original name of this theatre was the Ronile, the name of the owner’s daughter spelled backwards. Then it was changed to the Knox Street Theatre – it was never just the Knox, so the title of this page needs to be amended to include “Street.”

matt54 commented about White Theatre on Jan 20, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Hi, Chuck – we are having quite a time on our Movie Theatre Lovers group on Facebook trying to find out how we can get copies of “The Book!” Scroll down to the first Randy Carlisle post in the link below, and please join us!

matt54 commented about Colonial Theatre on Jan 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Nice shot, Randy – why don’t you post it to this page under “PHOTOS.”

matt54 commented about White Theatre on Jan 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I just reset the google maps street view to what I believe is the building that once housed the old White Theatre. There is not consensus, however, as notlesu68 has brought up a couple of good points, namely the proximity of the White to the Colonial (1702 Forest Avenue/MLK) as well as to the Forest Theatre (1900 block). His point about the Colonial is in a comment he posted on my flickr site, which I will reproduce below.

My response to the White being close to the Forest is simply that the Forest, being built by Interstate in 1947 with a seating capacity of 1400, replaced both the White (880, though I’m not at all sure the building at 1628 had that capacity) and the Colonial (475) – if the two older Interstate theatres were still in operation when the Forest opened, it’s certain they didn’t last much past that date, certainly not into the 1952-53 era (DMN archives should bear this out) – the whole neighborhood south of the 1800 block was changing fast by the late 1940’s, and even the beautiful Forest would not last long.

Here the link to my flickr page showing another view of 1628 MLK, with notlesu’s comment and my response. From these, you can draw your own conclusions:

BTW, I truly appreciate such engaging opposing views as notlesu66’s and the thought they provoke.

matt54
matt54 commented about The old State Theatre (formerly the Wigwam) on Jan 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm

from GoogleMaps street view (closest view I can get that still maintains a sense for where it sits on the street).