Comments from Mike_Blakemore

Mike_Blakemore commented about Odeon Prestwich on Jun 29, 2015 at 4:30 am

@ HJHill Thanks for taking the trouble… :o)

Mike_Blakemore commented about Gene on Jun 26, 2015 at 2:57 pm

J. Frank Blockliss was a British Company. They where shareholders in Our Company.. Most Peerless in the Country where made by Kelvin Beard and Bottomed.. They also made Prestige Kitchen Equipment

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on Jun 12, 2015 at 5:31 am

In answer to CF100. In law. It is practice when building or doing major alterations to theatres. there has to be a supervising architect.. not necessary the one that designed it. Its this that causes the problem of attribution of who designed the theatre. I have had a number of disagreements with armchair and local historians on the theatres we have had built or have been involved with..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on Jun 1, 2015 at 11:49 am

My Last Theatre incidentally is still running Having had a complete refurbishment including a new roof floors seating stage rig tabs.. black box. sound complete and redecoration before I retired .. I changed it back to my families original starting point. a live theatre that also shows films before handing on to a trust…

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on Jun 1, 2015 at 11:44 am

Al Alvarez. A small point. The First six months of the Showcase being opened. Like for like a matched in business. But in real terms they where doing very poor for a multiplex. The Film companies assured us of our prints, when the planning application was being made.. Showcase had to give massive giveaways. still no good. So suddenly there where no prints available. except if it was a stinker.. They where supplied prints which where never used.. There was a documentary screened at the Prince Charles recently and Cannes that rattled the film companies.. I am told they are still using the same excuse of prints shortage with todays digital age.

I did 39 years in my own right in Theatres and Cinemas booking for 28 sites.. member of the Cinematograph Exhibiters Association. dealing with the Monopolies and mergers etc etc. and knew many of the principles involved at the time. In the Chains and renters..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on Jun 1, 2015 at 5:07 am

Hmm. It seems. Al Alvarez.. at the end of the day. You know nothing… about British cinemas. and the practice of the renters. The Independent never could beat the system.. You are right about audiences walking away. If they had to wait six weeks. When we closed in 1996 We where current with the trends of the time.. we had the same equipment as the Multiplex that caused the problem. and it maintained by Sound associates..

You really need to study the History of the relationship of British Cinemas and the Renters.. Makes the Mafia seem like a Vicarage tea party,

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on May 31, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Al Alvarez.. legality and what actually happened are two different things… Our Birmingham Theatre was kept up to date with the trends… along with the rest of our circuit.. Over the years we had proper Cinemascope 4 track mag 70mm … Dolby including Spectrum. on the promise of the 2nd print use. This never materialised. The cinema that caused us our problems in our area of Birmingham has since closed.. We Ran Theatres and Cinemas from 1890 to 2006. 3 sites are still in operation run by tenants ..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on May 31, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Hmm I was a Birmingham independent That had a 3 screen Cinema… The Multiplex took my first run prints… Delaying me showing them for 6 weeks. The British Audience had no choice if they wanted to see it quickly..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Trocadero Cinema on May 27, 2015 at 5:22 am

If my memory is correct .. The Comedy Writer “Dennis Norden” was in Cinema management here…

Mike_Blakemore commented about Winter Gardens on May 19, 2015 at 7:06 pm

The Theatre was operated by Trevor Harris…..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Kings Cinema on May 15, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Albert Timmins if my memory is right, Was 2nd at the ABC West Bromwich when I did cover their for Ray Adams.

Mike_Blakemore commented about Shipley Flicks on May 11, 2015 at 12:18 pm

After Star Cinema Unit Four Cinema circuit belonged to Brian Tattersall. When he died Apollo took over his circuit.

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on May 1, 2015 at 4:38 am

Yes to Terry. For around five year I have had a cinema veterans pass to go to the cinema… Hmm have not found anything worth watching.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 25, 2015 at 4:42 am

I have been reminded of the Inspection we had to do at night after closure of this Theatre, This had to be done by two people and was strictly done in an order. The boiler house. even with one person walking between the House and Screen Tabs.. while the other walked behind the screen tabs. Even the Exits locks where checked again.. (The time period for me doing this was 1969)

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 25, 2015 at 4:32 am

@ Terry I agree in every respect. of your comments.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 24, 2015 at 8:04 am

Hmm. Point 1. I do agree with using Odeon as a Brand. But I disagree. Ref Birmingham. ABC had more Cinemas in the Birmingham area. then Rank.. The ABC Forum New Street where I was based for a short period. Took more money then the Odeon new street. The Gaumont after “The sound of Music became a white elephant. Odeon Queensway did not turn in a Net profit for years before closure. My Cinema "The Capitol Cinema” did better business then Rank did from the 3 sites. They tried buying us out in fact… As I have said previously as my family had financial interests in both Rank ABC and the Clifton circuit I have studied the balance sheets..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Odeon Carlton on Apr 23, 2015 at 5:48 am

Hmm. Its amazing how great buildings are replaced by total mediocrity

Mike_Blakemore commented about Capitol Cinema on Apr 18, 2015 at 6:17 am

A Point of interest. This Cinemas was designed in 1924 with an Art-Deco interior possibly one of the earliest in the UK.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Warrington on Apr 16, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Hmm.. There is a lot of it these days… and you cannot get insurance on an empty Cinemas and Theatres you know.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Well said Terry….

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:40 am

Hmm. Point 1. My expression was of old ABC which I know made more profit from the balance sheets.. From the EMI take over was its downfall. Odeon has been only under Rank control proper from 1948 ish After the share rights issue of 1947. See Odeon Properties ltd., The Clifton Sydicate of Birmingham owned more of Odeon then Rank did and controled. There was also 7 Odeons, Rank only had 200 share in each of them. We in effect loaned Rank to buy us out of our interests.. All of the built Odeons had their own set shareholders and Rank had just had 200 shares in each built Odeon. they bought off Oscar Deutch’s wife, Lilly. Associaited British Cinemas like Odeon was an amalgam of compainies. The Clfton Syndicate also was strong in ABC as well and helped to stop Warner Bros totaly taking over ABC My Family was involved in the share holding of ABC when it merged with our 4 theatres, a number of Odeons, Clifton syndicate cinemas plus Howard and Wyndam Ltd.,. Also Most of what has been written about Odeon’s history is a Myth

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on Apr 6, 2015 at 5:27 am

Hmm. All of To-days Cinema woes where caused by Government interference in the Cinema Industry. The old duopoly between ABC and Rank.. and the old release system.. which actually at the end of the day guaranteed a print of a movie… Which has caused Damage to Our very fine cinema stock of Buildings across the country leaving us with Shoe box cinemas and the new Managements that could not give a Fig for the industry… Here endeth my rant

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC London Road on Apr 1, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Hmm. I think there may have been a mistake in the Architects dept. pencil mark.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Harrow on Mar 25, 2015 at 9:40 am

A Point of Interest.. This Granada had been one of the joint ventures with ABC as partners…

Mike_Blakemore commented about Waterloo Cinema on Mar 13, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Space for TV equipment ??? 1931 a bit forward thinking..