Comments from Mike_Blakemore

Mike_Blakemore commented about Winter Gardens on May 19, 2015 at 5:06 pm

The Theatre was operated by Trevor Harris…..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Kings Cinema on May 15, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Albert Timmins if my memory is right, Was 2nd at the ABC West Bromwich when I did cover their for Ray Adams.

Mike_Blakemore commented about Shipley Flicks on May 11, 2015 at 10:18 am

After Star Cinema Unit Four Cinema circuit belonged to Brian Tattersall. When he died Apollo took over his circuit.

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on May 1, 2015 at 2:38 am

Yes to Terry. For around five year I have had a cinema veterans pass to go to the cinema… Hmm have not found anything worth watching.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 25, 2015 at 2:42 am

I have been reminded of the Inspection we had to do at night after closure of this Theatre, This had to be done by two people and was strictly done in an order. The boiler house. even with one person walking between the House and Screen Tabs.. while the other walked behind the screen tabs. Even the Exits locks where checked again.. (The time period for me doing this was 1969)

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 25, 2015 at 2:32 am

@ Terry I agree in every respect. of your comments.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 24, 2015 at 6:04 am

Hmm. Point 1. I do agree with using Odeon as a Brand. But I disagree. Ref Birmingham. ABC had more Cinemas in the Birmingham area. then Rank.. The ABC Forum New Street where I was based for a short period. Took more money then the Odeon new street. The Gaumont after “The sound of Music became a white elephant. Odeon Queensway did not turn in a Net profit for years before closure. My Cinema "The Capitol Cinema” did better business then Rank did from the 3 sites. They tried buying us out in fact… As I have said previously as my family had financial interests in both Rank ABC and the Clifton circuit I have studied the balance sheets..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Odeon Carlton on Apr 23, 2015 at 3:48 am

Hmm. Its amazing how great buildings are replaced by total mediocrity

Mike_Blakemore commented about Capitol Cinema on Apr 18, 2015 at 4:17 am

A Point of interest. This Cinemas was designed in 1924 with an Art-Deco interior possibly one of the earliest in the UK.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Warrington on Apr 16, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Hmm.. There is a lot of it these days… and you cannot get insurance on an empty Cinemas and Theatres you know.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 10, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Well said Terry….

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Apr 10, 2015 at 8:40 am

Hmm. Point 1. My expression was of old ABC which I know made more profit from the balance sheets.. From the EMI take over was its downfall. Odeon has been only under Rank control proper from 1948 ish After the share rights issue of 1947. See Odeon Properties ltd., The Clifton Sydicate of Birmingham owned more of Odeon then Rank did and controled. There was also 7 Odeons, Rank only had 200 share in each of them. We in effect loaned Rank to buy us out of our interests.. All of the built Odeons had their own set shareholders and Rank had just had 200 shares in each built Odeon. they bought off Oscar Deutch’s wife, Lilly. Associaited British Cinemas like Odeon was an amalgam of compainies. The Clfton Syndicate also was strong in ABC as well and helped to stop Warner Bros totaly taking over ABC My Family was involved in the share holding of ABC when it merged with our 4 theatres, a number of Odeons, Clifton syndicate cinemas plus Howard and Wyndam Ltd.,. Also Most of what has been written about Odeon’s history is a Myth

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on Apr 6, 2015 at 3:27 am

Hmm. All of To-days Cinema woes where caused by Government interference in the Cinema Industry. The old duopoly between ABC and Rank.. and the old release system.. which actually at the end of the day guaranteed a print of a movie… Which has caused Damage to Our very fine cinema stock of Buildings across the country leaving us with Shoe box cinemas and the new Managements that could not give a Fig for the industry… Here endeth my rant

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC London Road on Apr 1, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Hmm. I think there may have been a mistake in the Architects dept. pencil mark.

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Harrow on Mar 25, 2015 at 7:40 am

A Point of Interest.. This Granada had been one of the joint ventures with ABC as partners…

Mike_Blakemore commented about Waterloo Cinema on Mar 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

Space for TV equipment ??? 1931 a bit forward thinking..

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Hanley on Mar 13, 2015 at 4:17 am

Hmm. Real ABC was a far more a successful company Profit wise then Rank Cinemas They had the better release with Warner.. MGM.. Paramount.. Then Rank had Fox and Universal with Disney at Holiday times.. The Quality of Old ABC’s New builds and refurbishments where of a very high standards compared with some of the EMI Moore-bird wrecking’s that where carried out. ABC used Modernisation Ltd., for most of the new build interiors

Mike_Blakemore commented about Picture Palace on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:52 am

In all probability . The Cinema would have a barrel ceiling. and a very small proscenium. My betting is that it closed due to not being able to afford to install Cinemascope. like the present day problems of installing Digital projection.

Mike_Blakemore commented about Queen's Theatre on Mar 6, 2015 at 7:52 am

Found an Early Picture// Hope I have got the right site..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Odeon Walsall on Feb 25, 2015 at 4:35 pm

In my childhood in the 1950’s the illuminated surround had been removed.. When the Stage was bought forward for Cinemascope the organ was hidden from view. There where 2 large doors under the screen that was opened when the organ was used.

Mike_Blakemore commented about Cannon Chester on Feb 15, 2015 at 5:07 am

I did Relief Manager duties here in the 1970’s and got lumbered to do the Advance booking for 2 shows “Morecombe and Wise” and “The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra” At that time on our zone there was only a few of us that could do the old Moss Empire Booking System..

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Sutton Coldfield on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:01 am

It was odd with the Cinema Although ABC rebranded it ABC The locals still refered to it as The Empress.

Mike_Blakemore
Mike_Blakemore commented about On stage at the ABC Empress Cinema, Sutton Coldfield on Feb 3, 2015 at 3:52 am

I think the Mananger in the Picture was Norman Long..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Shipley Flicks on Jan 29, 2015 at 8:35 am

The conversion was designed and carried out by Modernisation Ltd., inc the Mirror system of projection.

Mike_Blakemore commented about Cinema Royale on Jan 27, 2015 at 4:29 am

Woolworths used the Cinema part for a period.. Until knocking it down to build the New Woolworths in the late fifties Which has since become a BM Store