Comments from Mike_Blakemore

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Commodore Cinema on Sep 16, 2014 at 9:42 am

I have revamped this picture..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Odeon Kingstanding on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:25 am

Referring to my previous comments. On further research. The Theatre along with Odeon Warley.. Stafford.. Shirley. Kettering.. Hereford.. and another one, Which is possibly the built Odeon Bradford Where controlled by the Clifton Syndicate (share wise all except the 200 shares in each site J. Arthur Rank had purchased off the Deutsch Family ). until Rank – Odeon did a Share rites issue in December 1947 to buy up anomalies like these theatres. Most Built Odeon’s had a Clifton Syndicate holding of a lesser degree. Hmm So we ended up buying shares in the Odeon Properties Ltd., So they could by us out of these odd companies..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Avion Super Cinema on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:07 am

Hmm I had a senior moment when loading picture. Its Roland Satchwell and not Ronald..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Avion Super Cinema on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:06 am

The Blue Plaque details wrong Roland Satchwell designed 80 Cinemas and 2 live theatres and was also a Director of around 30 Cinemas The comment in the first Paragraph commenting on the Odeon Style of this building.. Is Very simple Roland Satchwell and Cecil Clavering created the Odeon Look at the Odeon Kingstanding and Warley These Cinema although Branded as Odeon where in fact controlled by the Clifton Circuit (Share wise) until 1947-48

Mike_Blakemore commented about Cannon Sheffield on Sep 2, 2014 at 5:26 am

So right terry…. The mulitplexes lack a Magic the old ones had…

What is the use of 12 Screens plus.. when there are not enough good films to show. I have been a Cinema veteran for 4 years and I have not used my Veterans pass yet..

Problem with to-days multiplexes they a refreshment Vendors that also shows films as a side line..
Here endeth to-days rant..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Rutland Picture House on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:10 am

A Point of interest Modernisation Ltd., become “Chart Developments” They did a lot of work at Disney France.. The Castle and most of Main Street

Mike_Blakemore commented about Apollo 4 Cinema on Aug 19, 2014 at 8:19 am

I have now loaded the picture of the Stage area before the 70mm conversion..

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Newbury on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:29 am

It would be very interesting to find out. To me it stylisticly looks like a David Evelyn Nye. design.. Who did Our Regal Cinema Marlow

Mike_Blakemore commented about Clifton Leominster on Aug 13, 2014 at 1:19 pm

The Building has recently re-opened as a Bingo Hall

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Dover on Aug 10, 2014 at 9:08 am

Answer to ritzman… the reason is Rates….. and removal of seats..

Mike_Blakemore commented about O2 Apollo Manchester on Jul 23, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Apollo Did put screen in the cafe. My associate supplied the Projection Equipment

Mike_Blakemore commented about Plaza Cinema on Jul 18, 2014 at 4:00 am

See Notes I put on to the Picture I loaded..

Mike_Blakemore commented about The Regal Cinema on Jul 17, 2014 at 9:50 am

Hmm Sorry for the typing error AGE…..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Classic Hinckley on Jul 12, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Its amazing how many top class Theatres have been knocked down just to provide a car park

Mike_Blakemore commented about ABC Blackpool on Jul 12, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I forgot to mention from my notes Modernisation Ltd., The Freize-Greene company did the interior decor and fittings. I believe it was Hall Stage that fitted out the stage house

Mike_Blakemore commented about Odeon Bradford on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:23 am

This is a very difficult Project as there is already a Fine Theatre in Bradford.. “The Alhambra” The Lottery Fund only gives money Providing other monies are obtained.. Another place to look is the EU communities Fund… Good Luck..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Tivoli Cinema on Jul 5, 2014 at 8:36 am

It was at the ponit of building this Cinema That the parent company bought in B. T Davis a Birmingham accontant to be a Director.. To protect the company from being taken over by Sidney Clift and his associates, which at the time had a substantial interest in the Company.. The following Cinema the Capitol Built was “The Olton Cinema” where they used another architect that had no connection to Clift..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Empire Cinema on Jul 4, 2014 at 9:17 am

Pictue from the Walsall History

Mike_Blakemore commented about Rutland Picture House on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:53 pm

My Company had dealt with John Friese Greene’s company Modernisiation Ltd. for over 50 years I had planned to do a Project in 1996 but alas it was not to be He died before the Savoy could be done.. In that time we never had a written contract for any of the major works he did for us.

Mike_Blakemore commented about Rutland Picture House on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:32 am

Kenneth Friese Greene was the Son of William Friese Greene…

Mike_Blakemore commented about Vue West End on Jun 21, 2014 at 2:26 am

Hmm @ Gooper. I would not call your comment negative .. Hmm More incisive.. or Probably right.. Then again I am cynical ..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Palace Theatre on Jun 14, 2014 at 3:03 am

Hmm.. Thanks “AJHill” That picture has made me smile.. How usage of words change over the years..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Open-Air Cinema on Jun 14, 2014 at 2:56 am

Hmm I remember when as I child attending an open Air Theatre in Wales.. When it rained we had to stand on the stage.. until it passed.. Mind you on Christmas Island .. They get excited when it rains as we do for Sun..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Savoy Cinema on Jun 13, 2014 at 7:14 am

Hmm That is very sad news of one of Our old Theatres..

Mike_Blakemore commented about Hippodrome Theatre on Jun 8, 2014 at 3:18 am

Have placed an early picture of the Facade.. Which shows it was far higher then it is to-day