Comments from Mister_Comics

Mister_Comics commented about Teatro del Lago on Sep 25, 2017 at 3:26 pm

In 1945 this area was still being referred to as “No Man’s Land” in newspaper ads for this theatre. You can see this in the ad I posted in the “Photos” section.

Mister_Comics commented about Lexington Theatre on Sep 24, 2017 at 12:52 pm

During the 40’s this theatre would give away free dinnerware plates (Smith Taylor brand) to the ladies that came to the show on certain nights.

Mister_Comics commented about Alex Theater on Sep 24, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Old ads and program flyers show the address as 3826 W. Madison.

Mister_Comics commented about AMC Ford City 14 on Sep 24, 2017 at 11:27 am

Ford City East Cinema opened in 1981 and was located at 76th & Pulaski. This theater had three screens. The first movies shown there were “On The Right Track” starring Gary Coleman, Blake Edwards “B.O.B.”, and “Arthur” starring Dudley Moore. Ford City East Cinema was actually a separate theater not connected with the Ford City Cinema that was connected to the main mall at the time. In 1990 Ford City Cinema was moved to the south side of the mall in a new building (not attached to the main mall, kept the original address) and became Ford City 14. A short time after Ford City East closed.

Mister_Comics commented about 63rd Street Theatre on Sep 23, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Old newspaper ads show the address as 702 E. 63rd. But newspapers have been known to make mistakes.

Mister_Comics commented about Vogue Theatre on Sep 23, 2017 at 10:39 am

Old newspaper ads have the address as 3812 Bdwy. But newspapers are known to make mistakes.

Mister_Comics commented about Mars Theatre on Sep 23, 2017 at 9:34 am

Old newspaper ads show the address as 2540 Milwaukee. But newspapers are known to have made mistakes.

Mister_Comics commented about Marquette Theatre on Sep 21, 2017 at 9:14 am

Does anyone know why old newspaper ads show the address as 3155 63rd.??? Were the newspapers giving the wrong address? You can see one of the ads That I posted in the “Photos” section here.

Mister_Comics commented about Brighton Theatre on Jul 12, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Brighton Theater is also known for the last place the Grimes sisters were last seen alive before their murder. The movie playing at the time was Love Me Tender, a Elvis Presley movie. This happened in 1956 and the crime was never solved. This horrible event has always stuck with the theater. Today, now that the theater is closed, this event has been long forgotten.

Mister_Comics
Mister_Comics commented about Sheridan Drive-In color photo on Jul 29, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Photo from 1963.

Mister_Comics commented about Sheridan Drive-In sign on Jul 29, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Photo from 1959.

Mister_Comics commented about Nickelodeon on Jan 6, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Yes I remember the piano player now. Very knowledgable as I remember. Thanks for verifying that craigmorrisonia.

Mister_Comics commented about Sheridan Drive-In on Dec 22, 2015 at 10:01 am

I believe the Sheridan opened in 1959. Since I have seen photo proof showing movies from 1959 on their marquee sign.

Mister_Comics commented about Normal Theatre on Sep 16, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Address is 456 W. 119th St. Whoever put 452 as the address may have got it wrong. Unless the address was changed in the 90’s, but I don’t think so. If you look at the photos of old show ads they show the address as 456.

Mister_Comics commented about Ramova 1975 on May 18, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Mister_Comics commented about Nickelodeon on Apr 17, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I visited the museum last year and stopped by the Old Time Street to see the Nickelodeon. They were still showing old silent films. A Chaplin one at the time I was there. I didn’t notice a projector. I believe its digital now. Its possible they are looping a string of films onto a projection screen. They also had piano music playing, coming from speakers. No actual real piano playing. I remember back in the 70’s when they used a projector to show 16mm movies on the screen. I think they had a piano player too. That’s about all I remember on this theater. Now there is a working ice-cream stand near the entrance of the Old Time Street. Good ice-cream!

Mister_Comics commented about Sheridan Drive-In on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:02 am

Nice color photo. I added it to the photo section.

Mister_Comics commented about Pickwick Theatre on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:04 am

Is that a blimp mooring on top of the building? It sure looks like one.

Mister_Comics commented about Gardena Cinema on Jan 12, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Mister_Comics commented about Hollywood Blvd. Cinema on Jan 8, 2013 at 8:30 am

This theater has a lot of special event showings. They will show new and old movies and have a actor or two from the movie in the lobby signing autographs. I been there many times and think its a nice theater. Food is good too. If you ever get to go there make sure you check out the museum section and all the theater sections. Each section has a different theme. Worth checking out.

Mister_Comics commented about Eagle Theater on Jan 6, 2013 at 6:02 pm

The link address will take you to Polo Cafe (also known as the Polo Nut Company) which is also the owner of the Eagle Theater. The short film is mostly about its banquet hall which is the old Eagle Theater. You will see the Eagle Theater sign near the beginning of the film. The Polo Cafe also is a Bed & Breakfast which is touched on briefly in the film. Enjoy the film. http://www.polocafe.com/ I ate there recently and the food was excellent. Side note: My sister-in-law lived south of, right next door to the Eagle theater building when it was a car body shop before Polo bought the two buildings. The building south next to the Eagle was later demolished and became the Polo parking lot. The cafe part was a family owned grocery store for a while. Us kids called it the candy store.

Mister_Comics commented about Sheridan Drive-In on Jan 5, 2013 at 6:15 pm

In the noval THE BOOK OF RALPH by John McNally, he tells a story about the Sheridan Drive-In. The book is about a kid growing up in the south suburban Burbank/Bridgeview/Chicago area in the 70’s.

Mister_Comics
Mister_Comics commented about 2013 current Ford City Mall directory map on Jan 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm

The newer AMC Theater is located across the parking lot from JC Penney. Right above the LEGEND on the map.

Mister_Comics commented about Ramova Theater on Jan 5, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Since nobody has brought up any of this… The Ramova Theater had a parking lot down the block a little across the street. I believe at 35thPlace. To the north next to the theater was the Ramova grill which closed in 2012. It was mentioned on the Chicago news and papers and the theater was also mentioned. Above the grill in the same building I believe there were martial arts classes. And across the street from the theater was a hobby shop that I would go to often when I was a kid. It closed long ago. 1956 the Ramova was the 1st theater I ever was in. My mom took me to see Trapeze, a Tony Curtis, Burt Lancaster movie. My dad didn’t want to go see it and my mom did, so she took me with her to see it. I can hardly remember the movie but after that I seen many movies there until around the 80’s. I have a lot of memories about the Ramova and the area. I hope someday they restore the old show.

Mister_Comics commented about Ramova Theater on Jan 5, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Across the street from the theater use to be a Hobby Shop that I would go to often. The Ramova Grill was next door to the theater. It closed in 2012. The Hobby Shop closed a long time ago. I believe martial arts classes were taught above the grill on the 2nd floor. Ramova Theater had a parking lot a little down the block across the street. Just about from were this photo is taken.