Comments from mobycat

Showing 10 comments

mobycat
mobycat commented about Sidewalk Cinema on Oct 29, 2017 at 10:29 pm

That blade sign was enormous.

mobycat
mobycat commented about Sidewalk Cinema on Oct 29, 2017 at 10:28 pm

“all gone in 2017” – only being a theater. The building is still there.

mobycat
mobycat commented about Gateway Mall Cinema on Oct 29, 2017 at 10:22 pm

@dallasmovietheaters – are you sure about the Danbarry/Kerasotes dates? I graduated high school in Richmond in 1986 and I could have sworn it was Kerasotes back then.

mobycat
mobycat commented about AMC Showplace Richmond 11 on Oct 29, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Looking at the photo section, this actually opened as a single screen in 1970 and a second screen was added in 1977.

mobycat
mobycat commented about Plaza Theater on Jul 14, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Not related to the history of the theater itself, but I believe the space is now empty. Restoration Hardware is no longer there.

mobycat
mobycat commented about Needles Theatre on Jun 29, 2017 at 1:59 pm

The address should say 823 West Broadway.

mobycat
mobycat commented about Westville Drive-In on Apr 3, 2017 at 1:55 am

I saw the Aristocats here – so I know it was open in 1970.

mobycat
mobycat commented about AMC Showplace Richmond 11 on Apr 3, 2017 at 1:47 am

It opened sometime before 1975 – I saw Apple Dumpling Gang there. It was a single screen when it first opened. Then they added a second screen. Later (1995 by previous poster’s comment) it went to 5.

mobycat
mobycat commented about Bel Air Drive-In on Apr 18, 2015 at 10:32 am

The Bel-Air did close in the late 80s, I believe. However, it did re-open after the other Richmond Drive-In, the Hi-Way Drive In, burned down. Though the reopening probably didn’t last more than a couple of years before closing permanently.

mobycat
mobycat commented about Sidewalk Cinema on Apr 18, 2015 at 10:27 am

The Tivoli was actually open well into the 90s. Sometime in the mid 70s, the front lobby was converted into a jewelry store and the theater entrance was moved to the side of the building. It was also renamed to the Sidewalk Cinema. In the late 80s or early 90s it was made a $1 theater. Also at some point in the late 80s or early 90s, it was converted to two screens – they simply built all wall down the center of the auditorium.