Comments from MovieMad52

MovieMad52 commented about Loew's Theatre on Apr 5, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I worked here as an usher from June 1969 to June 1970, Carl Rogers had been manager from 1951 until 1970 when he transferred with Loews to Florida. He had a great 50th anniversary promotion in 1968. I go to walk the building just as the contractors where preparing to demolish the old palace. I wish I had gotten a piece of the balcony carpeting which featured the MGM lion logo.

MovieMad52 commented about Dixie Dozen Theatre on Apr 5, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Within 3 weeks of this closing, the first theatre I opened in Ohio also closed.

MovieMad52 commented about Cinema North 1-5 on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

The comment from Terrybear was incorrect about CABARET playing at the Northwest Plaza. Allied Artists made a circuit wide deal with National General after it had secured a date with the McCook Theatre. The owners of the McCook sued and the date was restored to the McCook.

MovieMad52 commented about Discount Cinema 8 on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I worked here the first quarter of 1996, General Cinema had finally learned to build more colorful theatres. I worked for Cinemark and during that time John Travolta came to see the latest Bond movie while in Austin filming.

MovieMad52 commented about Beach Theatre on Apr 4, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Would love to reopen this classic theatre.

MovieMad52 commented about Tri-City 8 on Apr 4, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Closed Jan. 19, 2014

MovieMad52 commented about Loew's Ames Theater on Apr 4, 2014 at 9:39 pm

It was my first theatre job, in a tuxedo as an usher on April 25, 1969 and the movie playing was ROMEO AND JULIET. I also worked Loews Downtown at the same time. Theatre business was such much better than.

MovieMad52 commented about Anderson 4 on Apr 1, 2014 at 8:06 pm

This theatre was operated by Kerasotes Theatres and sat across the street/parking lot from the General Cinema Mounds Mall Cinemas.

MovieMad52 commented about Frankfort Cinemas on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:11 pm

The theatre was located behind Wendy’s.

MovieMad52 commented about Ambassador Theatre on Mar 31, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Mike, I bet we could spend hours talking about the good old days.

MovieMad52 commented about Hunt's Cinestage Theatre on Mar 31, 2014 at 5:34 pm

No Mike, the other theatre it ran was the Hunt’s McCook in Dayton, Ohio.

MovieMad52 commented about Tri-City 8 on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:13 pm

The theatre is closed and the marquee on the road has been stripped.

MovieMad52 commented about Cine-Grill Cinema on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Its no longer listed on the Frank Theatres website.

MovieMad52
MovieMad52 commented about Springfield Square Cinema 10 on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Closed 12.01.13

MovieMad52
MovieMad52 commented about Springfield Square Cinema 10 on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I just read on Cinemark’s website that Springfield Square 10 has been closed. This is the second theatre that has closed that I opened as manager out of 3.

MovieMad52 commented about Dixie Dozen Theatre on Nov 15, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I checked the Republic Theatres website and there are no showtimes listed. I was informed that the theatre had closed. It is the first theatre that I have opened that has closed.

MovieMad52 commented about McCook Theater on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:21 pm

With the McCook gone, the only theatre standing that I worked at in Dayton is the former Loews Ames on North Main Street next to the Northtown Shopping Center. I worked at 6 locations.

MovieMad52 commented about McCook Theater on Oct 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

A friend reported to me that the McCook has been knocked down. Can anyone confirm with a picture?

MovieMad52 commented about Eastwood Cinema on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm

The theatre is closed and a new complex has opened in Peru.

MovieMad52 commented about Stonybrook 20 on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

National bought the Cincinnati and Louisville theatres. Today it was announced that Cinemark sold the theatre to Carmike. Cinemark had just picked up the theatre in the Rave Cinema buy.

MovieMad52 commented about Stonybrook 20 on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I was working in Louisville when Loews opened the theatre. It was after Loews bought USA Cinemas. National bought Loews/USA theatres after there was a legal threat of anti trust in Louisville and Cincinnati since National dominated market by having exclusive runs of most movies in each market.

MovieMad52 commented about Stonybrook 20 on May 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

This theatre was opened and operated by Loews Theatres.

MovieMad52 commented about Beach Theatre on Apr 20, 2013 at 10:48 am

Condolences to the family.

MovieMad52 commented about University Mall 16 on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:23 am

Wow! Mike and Chuck. I worked for the Franks for 6 and a half years and my last assignment was University Mall 16. I was “laid off/ let go” in July because my payroll costs were not 8%. My replacement made $900 less a month and all he did was ‘babysit’ the location. I promoted the location with radio, had Spiderman running around the USF campus and the mall, Men in Black men walked the mall and that video is on U tube, merchant promotions with Blockbuster Comics, Chik-fi-la, Subway. USF students tended to stay away and go to Muvico where it was safer. This theatre should never have been reopened. I made recommendations to upgrade the theatre by taking down walls for larger theaters (most of the screens were too small and had complaints about), USF students $5 at all times which they did after I left. I also recommended that they take the JC Penny building and retrofit it. In the end, this theatre is history and a IRS write off.

MovieMad52 commented about Channelside Cinemas 10 on Dec 31, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I am not an active operator at this time. I think there are a lot of cool things to do with this location.