Comments from Myron

Myron commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jul 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I was very upset as Fox News said that the Ziegfeld lost over $1 million last year and will have to close for good. This is the last movie palace in New York; the rest are tiny multiplexes. The Music Hall, of course, is a palace as well, but rarely shows films anymore. How sad; no more glamorous premieres in midtown. I already miss the Roxy and the other palaces which were demolished. Maybe this theter can get a landmark status but this takes a long time. Remember what happened to the elegant old Penn Station and the Roxy. The grandeur of the Ziegfeld will remain in my heart as a senior but the young will have no such memories. Sad!

Myron commented about Roxy Theatre on Mar 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Love to reminisce about the Roxy, my all-time favorite theatre. My sister always points-out that one of the ice skaters actually fell during the show after the screening of “The King & I” but she got-up and continued. The audience saw blood. I saved the Roxy programs somewhere in my collection (they were printed in green). If I locate these and those for the RCMH, what could I do with them? I’d hate to dispose of these.

Myron commented about Roxy Theatre on Feb 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Where can I find a list of films and dates which played at the Roxy. This was my favorite all-time theatre and I was sad when it was demolished. I think that “There’s No Business Like Show Business” sccreened there during Dec. 1954. If so I can’t figure why my family and I never saw it there. We were big fans of Marilyn as well as musicals. Maybe we saw “The Country Girl” at the Criterion instead. As a kid, I saw many films at the Roxy. I often pass the spot where it was located and I get a lump in my throat. So many happy memories of great films and then they added ice skaters (Roxyettes) to the bill. I even saved programs which I have somewhere in my collection.

Myron commented about Criterion Theatre on Feb 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I think I saw “Country Girl” here during Christmas break when I was a kid in 1955. How can I be certain that it played here? Is there a list of films somewhere? Thanks.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Feb 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thanks for the help. I agree “Deep in my Heart” was awful. We saw it later on at a local theater. So what what did we see that holiday week back in 1954? Was the “Country Girl” playing at the Criterion that week? Where is a list of what films played when at RCMH? I am retired as spend lots of time on nostalgia of those great films. Thanks again.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jan 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’m going nuts trying to remember which film played at the RCMH during Dec. 1954. My family went every December when I was a kid to visit the RCMH or the Roxy. We never saw “"There’s No Business Like Show Business” that December so we must have visited RCMH. What was playing? Where can I find a complete list of films which played at both theatres? I have a nice collection of programs given at both theatres. Unfortunately, I’m a pack rat and it would be quite a job to find them.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Feb 4, 2011 at 11:48 am

I have been visiting the RCMH every holiday season. This year, they only had a tree with fiber optics above the marquee. In past seasons, they did better. I recall a line of toy soldiers which fell-down in unison then magically got-up again only to fall. I also recall a circling train carrying bags of toys. I believe they even had a Santa popping his head out from a fireplace as well as a blazing fire. Is my memory correct? What other decorations were featured? When did this tradition start of decorating over the marquee? The new decor is obviously scaled-back due to the costs involved. How sad!

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jun 1, 2010 at 11:28 am

In the 60’s, NYC schools were closed due to a blizzard. I dragged my friend to RCMH to see “Jumbo” starring Doris Day. Due to the weather, the theater was almost empty so we had a choice of seating. It was weird since I had usually visited during holiday season to see the Glory of Easter or the Christmas Spectacular; no empty seats then. Good memories.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on May 30, 2010 at 11:30 am

When did RCMH start having school graduations on-stage? Is this something new or has it happened for a while? I passed-by last week and noticed graduates lined-up waiting outside. I was unaware that the theater was used for schools. I wonder what the fee is to rent the Hall for a graduation. My college graduation was old-fashioned back in ‘69 on the school campus.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on May 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I visited the Music Hall often in the 50’s and 60’s. I always wondered why “Gigi” never played here. It would have been the perfect place and most MGM musicals at the time did play there. The only reason I can figure is the length of the film, about 2 hours. Why didn’t “Gigi” play at RCMH?

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jan 6, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Sorry I forgot the ending in “Staircase”. I agree it was a very powerful film not like most of the silly teenage films that is made nowadays. Sandy Dennis was a great actress. I was training that year for my own teaching career when I saw the film in 1969. Through the years, I often had trouble hearing films at RCMH because of the acoustics the speech was often echoed. I wonder if that was ever fixed.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jan 6, 2010 at 6:12 pm

The most depressing film I ever saw at the RCMH was “Up The Down Staircase” about a dysfunctional high school in upper Manhattan. It was back in 1969; even the stage show couldn’t cheer me up. I recall a troubled student jumping out of a window because she learned that her teacher didn’t love her. What other depressing films played at RCMH?

Myron commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

We visited the Ziegfeld yesterday. It was a pleasure to visit a theatre with a big screen, not a multiplex. They still know how to show a film. Didn’t a curtain use to rise at the start of the film or am I imagining things? Does anybody recall if “Dreamgirls” was shown here? The sound was terrific unfortunately the story of “Nine” was weak. Our only complaint is that there is no elevator. We have problems walking on steps and lose our balance on escalators. We had no choice but to climb up and down steep stairs twice. I thought there was a law that theatres had to be accessible to handicapped or those with disabilities.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Dec 27, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I saw “Scrooge” starring Albert Finney at the RCMH. It was during Christmas week in December 1970 and it was memorable. Imagine also seeing the Christmas Show, too. I also saw “Jumbo” with Doris Day at Christmas. I think I paid under $2. I haven’t been to RCMH since they stopped showing a feature film plus a show. For that cost, I could see an actual Broadway show.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I seem to remember that “Gone With the Wind” was re-released in a 70mm version which played at RCMH. If so, which year was it screened? I am sorry that I never attended.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 19, 2009 at 11:07 am

You make some good points about viewing films. The sound was often unclear and reverberated. If someone sitting in front of you was tall or was wearing a hat, that could obstruct your view and ruin the film and yes people kept going in and out of the aisles throughout the film which is very annoying.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:34 am

Was Greer Garson the actress who had the most films premiering at the Music Hall? Where can I find a list by actor of which stars had the most films there? I thought that Audrey Hepburn or Doris Day would be leaders in the category. Which actor appeared most there? Was it Cary Grant? If so, who was second?

Myron commented about Roxy Theatre on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:29 am

My sister recalls seeing the late actress Vivian Blaine appearing live at the Roxy during the screening of the film “State Fair”. Was it common back then for stars of a film to also appear on-stage?

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 15, 2009 at 11:37 am

My sister insists that she saw the film, “Torn Curtain” starring Paul Newman and Julie Andrews at the Music Hall but I don’t see it listed. Is she correct?

Myron commented about Roxy Theatre on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I saved the programs given-out at both the Roxy as well as the RCMH on every visit. They are in my collection but it is hard to get to as I collect and save everything. When I locate these I will post here what I have. The RCMH even had lights in front of each seat so the programs could be read in the dark. I do recall the Roxy programs were printed with green ink while the RCMH programs were in black-and-white. When I think of the Roxy, tears come to my eyes as it recalls that wonderful days in the 50’s and 60’s.

Myron commented about Roxy Theatre on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:10 pm

The Roxy was the most beautiful theatre that I ever saw. The Radio City Music Hall is lovely too but it is art deco and not exotic like the Roxy. What style was the Roxy actually? What was the last film ever screened at the Roxy? I can’t seem to locate it. I pass where the Roxy used to be very often and it breaks my heart that it was not saved.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I met screen legend Tony Curtis yesterday at the NYC Veteran’s Day Parade and was wondering which of his films premiered at the Music Hall. I think “The Great Impostor” and “Operation Petticoat” premiered here but any others? By the way he looked great and was very friendly.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:40 pm

How do they get these figures? Is it the star with the most films or the most weeks at the Music Hall or a combination? What about Audrey Hepburn and Doris Day? They should both be on the top 10 if memory serves me.

Myron commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jan 22, 2008 at 4:22 pm

What a history for the RCMH. Sadly, because of the now high price for tickets, I haven’t visited since the 70’s. I miss when they showed a feature film with a great stage show. Now, films are not shown and the greedy owners charge an outrageous price for tickets. As a kid, we got-in for 75cents before noon on weekdays. We even got a program. Great memories. Some films that played here but were not mentioned I believe were: “The Ugly Dachshund” and “If It’s Tuesday, It Must be Belgium” with the late Suzanne Pleshette, “Arabesque”,“Interrupted Melody”, “Teahouse of the August Moon”, “Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?”. I think “The Singing Nun” was already mentioned. The expert who said that Greer Garson had the most films played at RCMH I disagree with. I would think that either Audrey Hepburn or Doris Day had the most films.

Myron commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 4, 2007 at 11:03 am

From reading other postings here, it seems that the Ziegfeld is losing money. In an age where everything sadly is money, I feel that Clearview will be forced to sell. I hope this is not the case. Since developers will be tearing-down Astroland at Coney Island next year, how long can this theater survive? I hope I am wrong. It seems that they book too many films that don’t attract audiences. I call such films “bombs”.They should book more films like “Dreamgirls”. The Ziegfeld experience is quite extraordinary; they even opened and closed the curtain. The multiplexes don’t even have curtains.