Comments from paktype

Showing 16 comments

paktype commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I think I saw a movie here very close to the closing date, but I can’t remember the name.

paktype commented about UA Midway Stadium 9 on Oct 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm

If you’re going to see a movie there today, take the subway if possible. The traffic in that area is terrible and unless you want to put your car into a garage and pay $20, there is very little on-street parking available because of all of the apartment buildings in the neighborhood.

paktype commented about Fox Kew Gardens Theatre on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Union Turnpike was my home station for many, many years. I had no idea the “Pickman Building” and the adjacent stores were once the site of a movie theater. The above photo is quite shocking to anyone who knows how crazy that intersection is today. The Jackie Robinson Parkway runs directly beneath the intersection now.

paktype commented about Loews Cineplex Cinema 5 on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:52 pm

fred1: I just did a Google Street View at that address and it seems like it is still an walled-off empty lot. My wife and I saw a movie there in the late ‘90s. It was a real dump and poorly lit outside. Scary place to go at night.

paktype commented about Main Street Cinemas on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Fred1: I saw a lot of movies here when I was a kid in the 1970’s. They used to run old Disney films here in the summer. I saw “Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo” here as well as “Follow Me, Boys!”, “Gus”, “The Apple Dumpling Gang” and so on. I think I also saw “The Blues Brothers” here about five times in 1980. Haven’t been there in at least 20 years now but whenever I’m on Main Street, it seems very busy.

paktype commented about Green Acres Cinemas on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I think I saw “Return of the Jedi” here in 1983. I might be wrong about that, it could have been the Sunrise, though.

paktype commented about RKO Strand Theatre on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Can’t see much today, the facade appears to have been bricked up with cinder blocks. Its a bleak area.

paktype commented about Central Theater on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:25 pm

The space is now called the Cedarhurst Center and it is used for retail stores. It was very nice when it first opened in the late 1980s but it is a little run down now.

paktype commented about Lawrence Theatre on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm

The theater building was turned into a supermarket about five or six years ago. It failed and the building remains empty today.

paktype commented about Parsons Theatre on Jul 5, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Just to clear up some confusion about “Flushing”. The name “Flushing” was used for many years for several different communities in Queens that bordered the famous “Flushing” community anchored by Northern Boulevard, northern Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue. Kew Gardens Hills always had its own zip code (11367) but its Post Office was always referred to as “Station C – Flushing, New York”. When I was a kid, we always used Flushing in our address even though we lived in KGH. In recent years, Queens communities have stopped using the Flushing name. Station C was renamed “Kew Gardens Hills” a few years back.

paktype commented about Loew's Valencia Theatre on Jun 25, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I heard that this theater’s patronage suffered with the closing of the Jamaica elevated in the mid 1970’s.

paktype commented about Trylon Theater on Jun 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm

The last movie I saw here was Fletch in or about 1985.

paktype commented about UA Midway Stadium 9 on Jun 25, 2012 at 11:02 pm

If I recall correctly, the Midway showed the Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnights on Saturday for a number of years, when it was still a quad.

paktype commented about Forest Hills Theatre on Jun 25, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I saw Blade Runner here in 1982. The biggest problem with this theater, as with the Midway, was parking.

paktype commented about Continental 3 on Jun 25, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I remember the Continental as a single-screen theater. I saw Star Wars there with my father in August of 1977.

paktype commented about Main Street Cinemas on Jun 25, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I grew up in the neighborhood where this theater is and remember when it used to be a single-screen theater with a balcony. I can’t believe its been sixplexed without having been expanded. The balcony theaters must be tiny.