Comments from PatriciaCarol

PatriciaCarol commented about Village Cinema 4 on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I am that librarian! I have not been able to find when this theatre opened but it looks like it closed in 1988. raysson, tomorrow I will send you the text of an article from 1991 that I did find for the opening of the Union Square Cinemas (8-plex) by Consolidated Theatres that will help with that history.

PatriciaCarol commented about Union Square Cinemas 8 on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:26 pm

This theatre was built by Consolidated Theatres.

PatriciaCarol commented about Monroe Drive-In on Aug 24, 2014 at 7:37 pm

MonroeHistory – yes, after it changed over to X-rated, locals said bright lights were installed to face out towards 74 so that drivers on the highway could not see what was on the screen at the Monroe Drive-In.

PatriciaCarol commented about State Theatre on Aug 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Yes indeed, The Strand was one of Monroe’s early movie houses. The Dixie, The Rex, The Bru-nel – those were other early venues for “moving pictures”. I realize my sentence was a wee-bit poorly worded but I did mean April 1935 as this post was about “The State”, the first theatre that Wheeler Smith ‘opened’ in Monroe.

PatriciaCarol commented about Super Drive-In on Nov 3, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Chuck, the Aldi’s sits on land that once had the “Monroe Drive-In” on it (near Skyway Drive or 601N). The Super Drive-In was a little further east.

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol commented about Tower Place Festival Cinemas on Nov 3, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I wish I could remember when it closed but 1998 sounds about right. Here is link of photo at my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/patricia_assorted_pics/3093439077/in/set-72157607065287311

PatriciaCarol commented about Eastland Mall Cinemas on Nov 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Hello – surprised not to see this already posted here but Eastland Mall is now being demolished (started about a month ago maybe?). They said it would take about six months to level it.

PatriciaCarol commented about Capri Theatre - 1966 on Jul 6, 2013 at 10:22 am

Thanks Jay for posting the article about the opening and the ad too!

PatriciaCarol commented about Village Cinema 4 on Oct 25, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Yes but too much trouble to change – seems like once it is posted, it is posted. My mistake – but my belief now is that it did open as a twin and slowly the other two came along. Honestly, I don’t think anyone really cares about this movie theatre (and I’m not meaning to be uncaring). Most around here don’t even remember it and it hasn’t been gone that long – then again, 20+ years is a long time when you think about it, so let’s not think about it.

PatriciaCarol commented about Pastime Theatre on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Thank you Joe. I will update it at the Union County Public Library’s web site!

PatriciaCarol commented about Union Square Cinemas 8 on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:26 am

The announcement that this theatre is now closed appeared in the Enquirer-Journal on Aug. 2, 2012.

PatriciaCarol commented about Capri Theater on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Don’t know how busy it was in 1982 with “E.T.” – I left in 1975 – didn’t remember that picture playing first run there either. About the ads – do you mean you have the tear sheets? (from the newspaper) Or do you mean you have the actual paste-ups? I’ll email you.

PatriciaCarol commented about Capri Theater on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm

You would be right but I don’t remember anyone by the last name of Cox (assuming that is your last name). You probably paid little attention to me. I worked very part-time in the beginning but (I think) at least two part-time shifts on the weekend during The Exorcist. Exorcist was so busy – the ushers were really, really working with the crowd and we were crazy back behind the concession stand – as soon as we finally got the last served, it would start all over again as people arrived early for the next show. Wasn’t lots of time for chit-chatting while it played. Learned how to count back change in that job – no one knows how to do that anymore but I’ve never forgotten.

PatriciaCarol commented about Blair Theatre on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm

At some time later in the theatre’s life, it was renamed The Dixie-Jubilee (probably in the 1970s).

PatriciaCarol commented about Capri Theater on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Cool! Wonder where those photos went? Daddy always made sure there were photos of any promotions – I’m afraid my mother threw away some things not too long after his death in 1998. She didn’t think they were important. I did not remember that premier but remembered the movie. And the Ramada Inn’s restaurant across the street used to be a nice place to go. Not to mention The Peddler Steakhouse next door to the theatre (for a time). Thanks for sharing!

PatriciaCarol commented about Capri Theater on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm

On January 31, 1977 Carrie was playing and for just a day, author Stephen King was in the lobby signing copies of his book of the same title (you could purchase the paperbacks there). I was no longer an employee but came by, thinking there would be a huge crowd and there was no one – so I sat in the lobby and chit-chatted with Stephen King for a few minutes and of course, bought a book and had him sign it. Nothing profound from it – just a little quirky bit of history for the Capri.

PatriciaCarol commented about Visulite Theatre on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm

This was always the cool place to go in the ‘70s. Saw “Tunnel Vision” there and also The Who’s “Tommy”. I always liked the area — there was a neat-little sandwich place across the street (People’s Food?) in an old two-story house with an Earth Shoes store above it.

PatriciaCarol commented about Center Theater on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm

firstmom1982 – my mother worked at WIST too (about 1970) but only for a little while. I remember seeing “Her Majesty’s Secret Service” at The Center – and being a young teen I found it very romantically-dramatic at the end – my mother, a fan of both Ian Fleming and Sean Connery panned it (as most of the critics did). I loved the upstairs of The Center. My father and mother were courting in the days he managed the Center – gave her a surprise birthday party there after hours.

PatriciaCarol commented about Capri Theater on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Hello! I loved Mr. Higgins – everyone did! He was funny — when the 2nd auditorium was built, he would tear the tickets and just say “To your left” or “To your right” over and over (well, if it was busy it would be over and over) I started with The Exorcist in 1974 – concession stand – sometimes it was so wild back there but there was nothing better than getting everyone served and in the theatre in record time. Don’t remember Mr. Anderson. And I agree, Mr. Brand was a great boss!

PatriciaCarol commented about Regency 4 on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Great story mfelsher. I guess I should admit that I worked at the Regency, Spring 1976 – Fall of same year (part of my senior year in high school). Concession and/or box-office. First run house in those days. You are right – it did sit at the bottom of a sloping hill. The only thing that is still ‘original’ from my day is the Wendy’s. Pizza Hut used to sit in front on the road but it later moved semi-across Albemarle Road. Manager spent way too much time in the office and left the running of the theatre to the staff. That never seemed right. “The Outlaw Josey Wales” played during the time I worked there. I was also involved in a church youth group and sometimes as a “fun night out” they would go see a movie. The counselor approached me and asked if “Josey Wales” was ‘clean’ enough for the group and I said sure. OOPS! I completely forgot about the cussing…oh well, they survived!

PatriciaCarol commented about Union Theatre on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Using the current street view, the theatre would have been located on the south side of Windsor at the next cross street (Stewart) – not seen well in this view. Theatre sat approximately on the southwest corner of Windsor and Stewart.

PatriciaCarol commented about Monroe Drive-In on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

The approximate address would have been 1404 W. Roosevelt Blvd., Monroe, NC. I apologize for not putting that in my original post. The street view photo currently with this theatre is too far west.

PatriciaCarol commented about Pastime Theatre on Mar 29, 2011 at 12:08 am

Link to photo of Rowena Shute outside the Pastime, year unknown, unless some of you ‘eagle eyes’ out there can read that one sheet! A local man shared that if you called “Miss Rowena” up and asked her what time was the show, she would reply, “What time can you get here?” A home town movie theatre at its best! View link

PatriciaCarol commented about Westgate Cinema IV on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

GMNash- I was told it was one of the worst robberies many had ever heard of in the industry. Yes, David Hopkins was the off-duty employee identified as stopping by the theatre that night and finding the films showing but no employees running the theatre. You are absolutely right about Mr. McKissick’s plane going down (October 25, 1990). My father worked for Mr. McKissick for a brief time in 1980 and thought the world of him; was quite distraught over the news. Your friend, if he managed the theatre in the late 80s would have worked for General Cinema no doubt since they didn’t sell the theatre to Litchfield until 1989.

PatriciaCarol commented about Capri Theater on Mar 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Hello Worth. Daddy was always fun because he loved what he did. He also loved to work! Glad you agree about the no rocking chairs – don’t know where those guys got that from. The ghost…Mr. Brand used to tell about working late at night in an upstairs office. Daddy used the other end of the upstairs to paint a lot of his signs and banners before he finally made a place at home to do that. Because of this, he had a key to the theatre. One night, after the theatre had closed, Mr. Brand was upstairs at a desk that was situated so that if you leaned over you could look down the narrow hallway and see who was coming up the stairs when they reached the top. On this particular night he heard someone enter the side door (where the cigarette machine used to be!), walk to the door to the closet/stairs and then footsteps on the stairs. He figured it was my Daddy only when he leaned over to look there was no one. The hairs rose on the back of his neck and he quickly finished up and went home. As teen employees, we tried a seance but didn’t have a clue as to what we were doing and conjured up nothing but a bunch of giggles.