Comments from Don K.

Don K. commented about Paramount Theatre on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Sensational photo! Before my time (I’m a Baby Boomer), but really great! Thanks, Stan!

Don K. commented about Paramount Theatre on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Hi, Patti – Since I was just a bit too young to have seen Elvis at the Paramount, I can’t honestly say if he threw a scarf into the crowd at any of the shows in that engagement. In later years, I believe that became a routine part of his shows. Those shows at the Paramount & the Fox in Atlanta must have been enormous fun in those days. Elvis was still fresh and in the process of making his mark. My dad told me about seeing Frank Sinatra at the New York Paramount Theater back in the 1940’s. The bobbie soxers screamed very loud, but there was no doubt that “Frankie” could sing!

Best,

Don

Don K. commented about Forrest Theatre on Feb 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Yes, Forrest Avenue (named after Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest, who also founded the Ku Klux Klan) was changed to Ralph McGill Avenue in the ‘60’s, to honor the liberal editor of The Atlanta Constitution. Since I haven’t been in Atlanta in a number of years, I really don’t know about the street number.

The map location (on the current page) of Lake Forrest Dr. has nothing to do with the location of The Forrest Theater.

Don K. commented about Fox Theatre on Sep 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Actually, I did mention the fact that The Metropolitan Opera played the Atlanta engagement of its spring tour (the most important stop on the tour) at The Fox. The superb accoustics of The Fox made those performances especially memorable. If I remember correctly, The Junior League (that great bastion of snobbery) controlled the distribution of tickets. The only way that I got to see the Met in those years was to usher for the performances (through a friend who was a member of The Atlanta Music Club). Those performances hooked me on opera, too!

Don K. commented about Paramount Theatre on Sep 3, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Thank you, Jester, for sharing those great memories!At that time, I was just about to enter the 3rd Grade at East Lake Elementary. Later, I went on to attend Murphy High School for two years, before transferring to another school. So, I knew East Lake and Kirkwood very well. The Paramount and the Fox were my favorite Atlanta theaters. Yes, I remember the Paramount ushers with their flashlights! If memory serves, their jackets were a wine color, like the ushers at the Fox!

Don K. commented about Paramount Theatre on Apr 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Elvis Presley at The Paramount, June 22,23,& 24, 1956:

check out: www.scottymoore.net/paramount.html

Interesting photos and ads from this event. Here’s a quote from the site:

“On June 22nd thru the 24th, 1956, Elvis, Scotty, Bill and DJ appeared at the Paramount for ten performances in three days. A blurb on page 34 in the advertising section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on the 22nd advertised Elvis' arrival in Atlanta and announced the shows at the Paramount. It also said, "Appearing with him will be a variety show consisting of 16 vocalists, instrumentalists and comedians.”

A review of Friday’s performances appearing on page 6 on the 23rd read, “Elvis Presley rolled into Atlanta Friday, rocked through three performances at the Paramount Theater and had one of his $15 white jersey shirts ripped off by enthusiastic female fans. The rock ‘n’ roll artist received a welcome which he described as "great” upon his arrival in Atlanta from his home town of Memphis. He performed before capacity crowds at all three shows Friday. A majority of the spectators were teen-age girls.“1

“Presley moaned through seven of the most popular rock ‘n’ roll tunes, including "Heartbreak Hotel” and “Blue Suede Shoes,” at each of the Friday shows. He was dressed in a green jacket, black trousers, white jersey shirt, black tie and black and white shoes.“1

“Two guitarists and a drummer accompanied him. Presley wore a guitar around his neck throughout the performance but did not play it. He was preceded by a variety show which included the Jordanaires, a singing group which has made a number of records with him, a comedy routine and other vocalists."1

“Ten policemen were on duty at the performance, but other than the shirt-ripping episode and squeals from the elated female audience, nothing unusual happened. Presley, who always wanted to be a "truck driver,” has been in show business for one and a half years. He has a 1A draft classification and thinks he will probably be drafted in about six months.“1

“Presley is scheduled to do four shows Saturday, three Sunday, and then leave Atlanta for Savannah and another personal appearance."1

If anyone on this site actually attended any of these shows, I wish they’d share their memories with us!

Don K. commented about Joy Theatre on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Could this have been The Atlanta Theater on Exchange Place? /theaters/21372/
It did serve as a burlesque house at one time, according to the entry at the above link. The seating capacity is listed as 1700.

Don K. commented about Kirkwood Theatre on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Just to think, you might have been the fellow who handed me my popcorn and candy! Yes, those times were definitely simpler! Thanks so much for sharing your memories!

Don K. commented about Forrest Theatre on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm

My uncle had a grocery store a few blocks west on Forrest Avenue, across the street from the site of the current Atlanta Civic Center. What I remember most about the Forrest Theater was the billboard above the theater that displayed 24 sheet posters for current or coming attractions. That was during the era of segregation, so I never actuallty attended the theater. But those posters were tempting …

Don K. commented about Glen Theatre on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Ron – Thanks for sharing your great memories – and for the link to the photos! Whenever I post my own memories of these theaters, I always hope that someone who knows more will join in the fun! I remember attending The Glen from about 1957-1965, when it was becoming somewhat seedy. Nevertheless, The Glen was great fun and I remember it very fondly!

Don K. commented about Atlantic Theatre on Aug 16, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Thanks, Dennis! That ad for DR. NO really brings back memories!

Don K. commented about Loew's Grand Theatre on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:17 pm

“Someone once said that ‘growing up in Georgia is like watching your past being hauled away in a dump truck’.

Sad but true."

That’s a quote from Doug Monroe’s column “The Monroe Doctrine” in ATLANTA MAGAZINE, for May, 2003. Let me urge you to look up the issue at the library and read the entire piece. He really sums up the dilemma of living in what he accurately calls “a temporary town”. Atlanta has sacrificed much of its character for dubious attempts at achieving progress. The results have sometimes been questionable, at best.

Don K. commented about Fairfax Theatre on May 16, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Here is a link to a photo of the East Point,including The Fairfax, from The Atlanta History Center Collection:

Don K. commented about Loew's Grand Theatre on May 16, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Thank you, Warren! Having grown up in Atlanta, it was the stuff of legends! Margaret Mitchell literally put Atlanta on the map! The newsreel footage of the event is absolutely remarkable! Make sure you see the documentary that Turner Television produced that is now included on the DVD edition. The color footage of Peachtree Street is worth the price of admission, so to speak!

Don K. commented about Scott Drive-In on May 16, 2009 at 10:31 am

Here are two aerial views of the Scott Drive-In from the Atlanta History Center collection:

The first one is dated 1969:

The second one is undated:

Don K. commented about Loew's Grand Theatre on May 16, 2009 at 10:15 am

Here is a link to a photo of the fire at the Loews Grand in 1978:

Don K. commented about Atlanta Theatre on May 16, 2009 at 10:03 am

Here’s a link to a photo of the original ATLANTA THEATRE:

Don K. commented about Atlanta Theatre on May 16, 2009 at 1:41 am

The original release of BIRTH OF A NATION predated my father’s time. He remembered a burlesque house in Atlanta, but maintained that he never attended it (not that I doubt it). Theaters like The Criterion, The Forsyth, and The Metropolitan were long gone well before my time. Yet, it brings a sense of proportion about the theaters that I knew which were demolished in my time. It makes the survival of The Fox, and other vintage Atlanta movie houses all the more remarkable!

Don K. commented about Atlanta Theatre on May 16, 2009 at 1:38 am

Thank you, John! What a fascinating piece of Atlanta history! It demonstrates the fact that as the city developed, theaters came and went. They faced competition from other theaters. Neighborhoods changed; the economy changed; real estate values changed; and, most of all, the times changed.

Don K. commented about Festival Theater on May 15, 2009 at 5:17 pm

George Ellis opened this theater in a converted storefront circa 1966/67. This compact venue was attractively furnished, with comfortable seats and carpeted walls. George was very personable. If memory serves, he was of Armenian descent. Atlantans remembered him as “Bestoink Dooley,” the host of WAGA-TV’s Friday night Big Movie Shocker in the early ‘60’s. The Festival was where I first saw CITIZEN KANE, which was an overwhelming experience for me as a teenager.

Don K. commented about 10th Street Theatre on May 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm

You may be correct about the demolition of the theater. Since I have not lived in Atlanta in many years, my memory may be faulty.

Don K. commented about 10th Street Theatre on May 15, 2009 at 11:04 am

That’s quite a photo, Lost Memory! Or should I refer to you as “Recovered Memory”?! As I recall, when the theatre closed and was converted to The House of Eng, they restored a bit of the original look of the building. By the way, House of Eng was a pretty good Chinese restaurant. They also operated a Polynesian style restaurant downtown called Trader Eng’s (think Trader Vic).

Don K. commented about 10th Street Theatre on May 15, 2009 at 10:51 am

From previous post regarding the “Tenth Street Art Theatre”:
The original Tenth Street Theatre was at 990 Peachtree Street, NE. It stood in front of the apartment house where Margaret Mitchell and her husband lived for a number of years, and where she wrote GONE WITH THE WIND. If you visit the restored apartment house that is now a memorial to her, you’ll find a framed picture of the Tenth Street Theatre on display. Margaret Mitchell was a movie buff and this theatre was a real favorite of her’s because of the air conditioning in the summer, as well as its convenience.

The theatre was built circa 1926. The exterior was in a faux Spanish style with red stucco and a tile edged roof. My best guess is that it had about 500 seats. The theater ceased operation around 1956/57 to the best of my recollection. A few years later the space was converted to a chinese restaurant called House of Eng, that occupied the location throughout most of the 1960’s.

With the development of the drug culture in the 1970’s, this neighborhood deteriorated badly. As nearly as I can recall, I believe the theatre was demolished sometime in the 1970’s or possibly the early 1980’s.

My dad used to take me to see westerns at the Tenth Street Theatre back in the 1950’s.

Don K. commented about Variety Playhouse on Apr 26, 2009 at 2:42 am

The Wikipedia article jogged my memory. When The Euclid Theatre closed in 1962, there were no public announcements in the local newspapers or broadcasting outlets. It slipped quietly into oblivion. The last movie that I saw there was the Hammer horror film, THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF in 1961, which was on a wide first run. The Euclid Theatre died not with a bang, but a whimper.

Don K. commented about Fox Theatre on Apr 26, 2009 at 2:20 am

GONE WITH THE WIND premiered at the LOEWS GRAND, not THE FOX.