Comments from Philip Picturedrome

Showing 1 - 25 of 110 comments

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Palace Cinema on Apr 23, 2017 at 11:14 am

2009 photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/7127946711/in/photolist-bRSAdX-6WMQ6d-6WHPMv-6WHPJe-6WMPTo-6WMPVY-6WMPjU-6WMPww-6WMPzC-6WMP6j-6WMP1U-6WHP3H-6WMPaG-6WHP9X-6X8KeM-6WMPtS-6WHPt2-6WMPqJ-6WMPQ9-6WMPMf

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Derby Cinema on Apr 16, 2017 at 5:47 am

Converted into residential, 2016-17.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Tonic Cinema on Apr 9, 2017 at 9:37 am

Stevelaw. We have a similar council in Liverpool.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Picturedrome on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:32 am

Campbell & Fairhurst were originally based in Southport before moving to Liverpool.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Cannon Birkenhead on Mar 26, 2017 at 6:05 am

The Empire was a converted Victorian building.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Homer Cinema on Mar 5, 2017 at 8:36 am

Photo from Liverpool Record Office. Probably after it closed. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/2169867062/sizes/o/

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about ABC Warrington on Feb 4, 2017 at 7:25 am

“The building was demolished to make it safe.”

Amazing !!!

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Odeon Warrington on Feb 4, 2017 at 7:15 am

1986 photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/2171813000/sizes/l

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Cannon Liverpool on Jan 28, 2017 at 1:25 am

It was one of the sites used for the Liverpool Biennial of 2016. It’s been de-tripled and all the ground floor seating has gone. Apart from damage caused by the de-tripling, the interior is in a sorry state, with an alarming hole in the ceiling. The public were not allowed to go upstairs. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/28244733645/sizes/l

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Scala Cinema on Jan 28, 2017 at 1:09 am

The former ABC Scala was demolished in January 2017.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Commodore Picture House on Jan 26, 2017 at 3:18 am

PS. When it sold car spare parts it was actually called “Commadore”!

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Commodore Picture House on Jan 26, 2017 at 3:16 am

When the Commodore opened it was Liverpool’s largest purpose-built cinema, with 1966 seats (stalls 1366, balcony 600). Apart from the Paramount (later the Odeon) in the City Centre which opened in October 1934 with 2670 seats, the Commodore remained the largest purpose-built cinema in Liverpool for the rest of its life.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Carlton Cinema on Jan 26, 2017 at 2:58 am

It wasn’t the largest cinema in Liverpool when it opened. In 1932 an official count of the seats revealed that they were less than had been originally claimed. There was a total of 1,912 seats, 1,552 in the stalls and 660 in the balcony. This still made the Carlton the second largest purpose-built cinema in Liverpool at the time (after the Commodore in Bankhall with 1,966 seats). When the Paramount in the city centre opened in 1934 with 2,670 seats, the Carlton became the third largest.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Electric Theatre on Dec 19, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I think it’s safe to assume that the cinema was on the ground floor. In fact, most pre-1910 cinemas were in converted shops.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Plaza Theatre on Dec 18, 2016 at 7:48 am

Photo: http://playingbingo.co.uk/images/lost-halls/birkenhead-plaza-bingo-borough-road/birkenhead-plaza-bingo-borough-road.jpg

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Woolton Picture House on Sep 6, 2016 at 7:26 pm

There’s no “t” in Prichard. Harold Ackroyd admitted that a local resident (not named!) said it opened on Boxing Day, 1927.

It has been difficult to ascertain the actual opening date. It could have been anytime between 28 January 1928 and 2 March 1928. The Ingress and Egress certificate was first issued on 28 January 1928. (It wouldn’t have been possible for it to open before this certificate was issued). It might have opened on 1 February 1928. When the Ritz Cinema in Utting Avenue was at the planning stage on 2 March 1928, it was stated to the Licensing Bench of the Magistrates that the applicant, a Mr Alfred Adams, was the “big shareholder” in each of the companies formed for this and two other cinemas. The two others were “the recently opened” Woolton cinema and the West Derby cinema which had then been open for “less than a year”.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Scala Cinema on Sep 6, 2016 at 7:15 pm

X in the City closed in October 2015, and the building should be demolished in the next week or so. (7 Sept. 2016).

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Cineworld Cinema - Liverpool on Sep 6, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Demolished August/September 2016.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Princess Cinema on Jul 25, 2016 at 6:57 am

Almost completely demolished on Sunday, 24 July 2016.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Empire Picture Theatre on Jul 24, 2016 at 7:24 pm

The building was built for the Bootle Labour Party, who, as the sign says were established in 1882, and the building was called the Bootle Institute. Whether that means that this building was actually built in 1882 isn’t clear, but it is shown on the 1890 OS map. From about 1912 it was used as a cinema called the Empire Picture Palace, until 1922 when the purpose-built Gainsborough opened over the road. The Empire then became a dance hall and was the Knowsley Labour Club until comparitively recently. It is currently (by 2007) called Madigan’s Lighthouse.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Carlton Cinema on May 19, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Demolition was commenced in May 2016.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Woolton Picture House on May 19, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Opened early 1928, after 27 January, but before 2 March.

Plans were first received by Liverpool’s Building Surveyor’s Department for this cinema on 3 June 1926. It was to be built for W. J. L. Croft of 7 Tynwald Hill, Stoneycroft, Liverpool. It would have 800 seats, all on one level. Another sheet of the plans shows that Mr Croft’s name had been crossed out and replaced with “Woolton Picture House Co. Ltd.”. By 8 July 1926, work hadn’t started and the Company was told: “Subject to compliance with the requirements of the City Surveyor, and with the condition that the work must be substantially in hand within six months, the bench approved plans for the erection of a Picture Hall in Mason Street, Woolton.” The Woolton was built by George R. Wright between the official starting and finishing dates of 27 Dec 1926 and 31 March 1928. It has been difficult to ascertain the actual opening date. It could have been anytime between 28 January 1928 and 2 March 1928. The Ingress and Egress certificate was first issued on 28 January 1928. (It wouldn’t have been possible for it to open before this certificate was issued). It might have opened on 1 February 1928.
When the Ritz Cinema in Utting Avenue was at the planning stage on 2 March 1928, it was stated to the Licensing Bench of the Magistrates that the applicant, a Mr Alfred Adams, was the “big shareholder” in each of the companies formed for this and two other cinemas. The two others were “the recently opened” Woolton cinema and the West Derby cinema which had then been open for “less than a year”. In 1987 the manager of the cinema said that it opened in November 1927, quoting the date stamped on the fireproof door of the operating room, but that was probably the date the door was made. The finishing-out details of the cinema were still underway. For example, an amended ground floor plan was submitted on 4 January 1928.
More recently (about 1998) the date has been given as 26 December 1927, but no proof has been provided to support this, apart from somebody saying that one of the residents remembered the date, which now appears on a plaque which is fixed to the outside wall.
The architect of the Ritz and the Woolton was Lionel A G Prichard. He also designed the Plaza in Crosby, and – in partnership with George Stanley Lewis – the Clubmoor. He also designed a number of Roman Catholic churches.

Original research by Philip G Mayer.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Cineworld Cinema - Liverpool on May 19, 2016 at 9:59 pm

The lease will not be renewed, so the cinemas will close on 14 July 2016.

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Grand Cinema on May 15, 2016 at 8:19 am

Best of Luck. I suppose you know it’s a Listed Building? But then, so were the Palace/ABC, and the Palladium/Odeon, but they were demolished. Have you contacted the CTA and English Heritage, and the local press?

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome commented about Gaumont Harrogate on May 4, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Architects: Chadwick & Watson, of Leeds. Family resemblance to the Lime Street Picture House, Liverpool (1912, later Futurist).