Comments from Ed Miller

Ed Miller commented about Pavilion Theatre on Jul 19, 2014 at 8:30 pm

It would be nice if Cinema Treasures cross-referenced this as the Sanders, so that users wouldn’t have to go to the trouble of leaving this site and going to Google.

Ed Miller commented about UA Duffield Twin Theatre on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Cinema Treasures really ought to cross reference theaters that have had name changes. And how ridiculous to list the Duffield as the UA Duffield Twin. It was known as the Duffield for decades before UA and the twinning, so why list it that way?

Ed Miller commented about Millennium Theatre on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:29 pm

It would certainly help if Cinema Treasures cross-referenced the names of theaters that have changed. It’s a nuisance having to go back to Google all the time to find a theater whose name has changed, like the Oceana.

Ed Miller commented about Delft Theatre on May 20, 2014 at 5:04 pm

This website has a few vintage photos of the Delft. One, taken in 1941, shows the theater playing “The Night of January 16th”.

Ed Miller
Ed Miller commented about Last Chance For Women Only (1929) on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Disregard my question, lol! I just noticed, after the fact, that it was 1929. Read thoroughly FIRST, Ed!

Ed Miller
Ed Miller commented about Last Chance For Women Only (1929) on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I wonder when this was? The ad looks like the 1930s, which contradicts how the Savoy is described here. I do remember my mother telling me that in the 1940s, the Savoy was know as a theater to stay away from, the kind where men would constantly change seats to be next to single females, and then they’d start groping the gals to see how willing they were.

Ed Miller commented about Apollo Theater on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I wonder why, as a longtime member of this site, I can’t find any info whatsoever about the OTHER Apollo in Manhattan, the one that stood on 42nd Street, near the Times Square, Victory, and Lyric Theaters? Can anyone help me out? Sometimes this site is extremely hard to navigate, for even the seasoned user, and I know that one of the reasons is that some theaters operated under a variety of names, and there’s no cross-referencing here. I wanted to help out a friend who had a question regarding the Apollo on 42nd Street, but I can’t refer him here, since even I can’t find it!

Ed Miller commented about Carnegie Hall Cinema on Sep 29, 2013 at 11:10 am

The last time I was in the Carnegie Hall Cinema was, sadly, in the late ‘70s. I went with some very close friends to see, with what could be described as a VERY receptive audience, a revival of “Suddenly, Last Summer”. What a treat to see one of my all-time favorite movies on a big screen; in fact, it was the ONLY time I’ve seen this movie in a theater. What a pity that the days of revival houses in Manhattan have passed.

Ed Miller commented about Loew's 46th Street Theatre on Sep 12, 2013 at 8:28 am

The photos that I took yesterday, of the exterior and interior, are now uploaded. Enjoy!

Ed Miller commented about Loew's 46th Street Theatre on Sep 12, 2013 at 6:30 am

I was there yesterday, and both the saleswoman and owner were extraordinarily gracious; they gave me permission to roam the theater and take pictures, which I will now post. I’m amazed that anyone had trouble with these good folks!

Ed Miller
Ed Miller commented about The Valley Stream, probably in the early to mid-60s, when it was part of the Skouras chain. on Jan 4, 2013 at 1:14 am

The Valley Stream, circa the early to mid-60s, when it was part of the Skouras chain.

Ed Miller commented about Belair Twin Theatre on Jan 4, 2013 at 1:06 am

The photos displayed here should really be removed, because they have nothing to do with the Belair. The theater was in the mall that was previously on this property, but it was totally demolished and rebuilt. The centerpiece of the old mall was Hills supermarket, with the Belair adjacent. It was built in the very early ‘60s, and was not initially a twin. As a matter of fact, the last time I was in it, in the late '70s, it had yet to be twinned. There was nothing distinguished about the Belair, inside or out. It was just a plain auditorium, no more and no less.

Ed Miller commented about Cinemart Cinemas on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Very cool, Flynn. That fits with the PSA two-reeler that I’ve seen on TCM, where theater owners and managers assail the government for the enormous taxes levied on movie theaters. I think the date of that film is also circa 1953, and shows a remarkable number of vintage theaters.

Ed Miller commented about Loew's Hillside Theatre on Mar 11, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Regarding saps' comment above, does anyone else recall the Hillside being a burlesque theater? I surely don’t!

Ed Miller commented about Sony Columbus Circle on Mar 10, 2012 at 1:39 am

Oddly, my usual steel-trap memory recalls nothing innovative about the auditorium at all. Of course, I was only there once, and it was a long time ago; yet I remember everything else about that evening as if it were yesterday.

Ed Miller commented about Kingsway Theatre on Mar 4, 2012 at 2:49 pm

What a pity that there’s only this photo here of what once was the Kingsway. I have to cruise the net to see if I can find some vintage pics.

Ed Miller commented about Cinema Kings Highway on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Providing a hyperlink is not important. All one has to do is copy the link and then paste it; it’s no big deal. It doesn’t involve any strenuous exertion or sweat, lol.

Ed Miller commented about Cinema Kings Highway on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm

saps, thanks for that link. OMG, what an Art Deco jewel (no pun intended)!

Ed Miller commented about Fonda Theatre on Jan 8, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for that good-news update, CTCrouch!

Ed Miller commented about Fonda Theatre on Jan 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm

MJuggler, that really stinks!

Ed Miller commented about Roxy Theatre on Nov 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Mark and Paul, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the Roxy, as well as our other criminally destroyed landmarks. AGRoura, any IMDB member can update and correct, simply by going choosing the update option. I do it frequently.

Ed Miller commented about Best Buy Theater on Nov 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I agree with LuisV that the theaters here should be posted by their most famoius name. When I put Loews Ator Plaza in the search engine, it came back as “theater not found”. What I’m not understanding about the Best Buy is: is it a theater, a club, or a concert venue?

Ed Miller commented about Loew's 72nd Street East on Nov 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I saw two Streisand films here in sneak previews, “The Way We Were” and “Funny Lady”. A very restless and disrespectful crowd sat through “The Stepford Wives” waiting for “Funny Lady,” and a lot of very funny comebacks were hurled at the screen.

Ed Miller commented about Parsons Theatre on Nov 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

AXminster must have been Brooklyn, then.

Ed Miller commented about Parsons Theatre on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm