Comments from Robert L. Bradley

Robert L. Bradley commented about Playhouse Theater on Dec 1, 2016 at 9:02 pm

When I went to the Playhouse in the early sixties, the curtain was not motorized. When it opened, it looked like someone was pulling the rope with one hand, it was so jerky. I also noticed they did not mask their flat picture, but had the screen opened all the way. I worked in some theatres where the curtain was used for side masking, but I didn’t see this at the Playhouse.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Florida Theatre on Nov 30, 2016 at 11:06 pm

No, I was a member of Richmond, VA, Local 370. I was going to relocate in St. Pete in 1969 and join 552. Cecil Fernandez, the business agent who worked at Plaza 1, sent me to the Cameo and State to familiarize myself with the booths, but both theatres got their closing notices, so I returned to Richmond.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Cameo Theater on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:38 pm

You had to climb a ladder at the back of the auditorium to get to the booth.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Pheil Theatre on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of the auditorium?

Robert L. Bradley commented about Florida Theatre on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:22 pm

When I checked out the Cameo booth, they had Super Simplex projectors, but in the room off to the side were two Brenkert projector heads from the Florida Theatre, which they were going to install in the Cameo. But when I was there, they got two weeks notice on the Cameo, so it never happened.

Robert L. Bradley commented about State Theatre on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Cecil sent me to the State and Cameo, but they both closed before I got to work there. Chuck Horton was at the Cameo and John was at the State.

Robert L. Bradley commented about State Theatre on Nov 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I checked out the Plaza booth under Cecil Fernandez, but I never got to work there.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Oct 24, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I visited the Vue West End again for the 2016 BFI London Film Festival, and the curtains and stage lights were used in Cinemas 5 and 7. It looked very nice. Then I saw a non-festival film in one of the basement cinemas, and curtains and stage lights were not used. I could see that they have the type of curtain that rises because I could see it above the screen. What I don’t understand is, if they have them, why don’t they use them? It makes for a much nicer presentation.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Monroe Theatre on Sep 28, 2016 at 2:47 pm

I visited the Monroe Theatre several times. In the picture above, the red doors were the exit doors next to the screen. The screen was at the street end of the theatre. The entrance was on the right. The ticket counter and concession stands were on the right of the long entrance way, which went all the way to the back of the building and was parallel to the auditorium. You would make two left turns there and you would be at the back of the auditorium. The auditorium had green stage curtains flooded in green light. Flat and scope pictures were common width, with masking at the bottom which would be raised for scope pictures. Flat pictures were almost in the scope ratio, which made for too much cropping of the picture. When I used to go there in the middle 60s, they didn’t have tickets. When you paid, they kept track of admissions with tally marks on a sheet of paper. I don’t know what they did if they had to give refunds, since there were no ticket stubs. The theatre was the first theatre I ever attended that had push-back seats.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Egyptian Theatre on Jun 8, 2016 at 3:40 pm

I saw the 70mm version of GONE WITH THE WIND. It was badly cropped at the top and bottom and a vertical pan-and-scan was used. It was also an abomination.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Jan 26, 2016 at 6:07 pm

When I attended the BFI London Film Festival in 2014, the curtains were used, but not at the 2015 festival.

Robert L. Bradley commented about National Theatre on Dec 15, 2015 at 7:24 pm

When I worked there from 1969 to 1983, we had two Simplex X-L projectors with Peerless Magnarc Lamps and a carbon-arc spotlight. Great picture!

Robert L. Bradley commented about Grand Theater on Oct 21, 2015 at 6:50 am

The Park was in the 800 block of East Broad Street where the Trailways Bus Station used to be. The Grand had once been the Bluebird. It was at 620 East Broad.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Oct 12, 2015 at 2:41 am

I’m currently attending the BFI London Film Festival 2015, and they are not using their curtains. If they have them, then why not use them? It makes for a more polished and professional presentation.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Egyptian Theatre on Jan 23, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I agree that they need a curtain, or at least flood the screen in colored light.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Regent Theatre on Dec 18, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I went there last week to see ST. VINCENT. They’re STILL not using their curtain.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Million Dollar Theatre on Dec 13, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I was there tonight to see THE GODFATHER. They had an excellent 35mm print but it was very dark and much of the sound was unintelligible due to bad acoustics. They did use the curtain at the beginning and end. I sat in the balcony. There was a very large crowd.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Cineworld at the Empire Theatre on Oct 16, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I was there this week and saw ANNABELLE on their Impact screen. I was very impressed.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Playhouse Theater on Jul 8, 2014 at 12:11 pm

The Playhouse had a beautiful curved CinemaScope screen, but it had no movable masking. When a flat picture (1.85:1) was shown, the whole width of the screen was exposed. It had a curtain which was manually operated. It opened in a jerky manner, as if someone was using just one hand on the rope.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Jun 14, 2014 at 8:10 am

They did use the gold curtains during the BFI London Film Festival and it made for a nice presentation. I have never seen them used during regular performances. What a shame!

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Southgate Dollar Cinemas on Jan 22, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Yes, ghostman59, you are correct about the Trans-Lux. Rhonda Carter is now married and living in Florida. I worked there as assistant manager and projectionist. Jim Robison, his wife Linda, his daughter Laurie, his step-daughters Janet and Jean, and his step-son Wesley all worked there. I have many happy memories of working there.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Ad For Upcoming Cinemascope on Dec 31, 2013 at 11:35 am

8/28/55

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Capitol Hill Theatre on Dec 25, 2013 at 4:08 pm

There was another theater in D.C. named the Capitol Hill. It was a twin, two auditoriums back to back. I saw YANKEE DOODLE DANDY there sometime in the early eighties. It was across the street and a block or two from the Penn.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Cineworld at the Empire Theatre on Aug 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

I sure hope not. It is one of the few remaining beautiful cinema auditoriums in London.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Southgate Dollar Cinemas on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm

This theater opened in 1970 as the Trans-Lux Theatre. Trans-Lux sold it to the manager in 1984 and it became the Gemini Twin. Later it became the Southgate Dollar Cinemas. Each auditorium originally seated 408. One was blue and the other was gold. The curtain and wall-coverings were in these colors. They had Century projectors and ORC xenon lamps.