Comments from Robert L. Bradley

Robert L. Bradley commented about Crest Theatre on Dec 8, 2017 at 11:46 am

Just saw the movie THE DISASTER ARTIST and noticed that the premier near the end of the movie was filmed in the Crest. I recognised the curtain, the wall fixtures, and the marquee.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Cineworld Cinema - Leicester Square on Oct 24, 2017 at 4:16 am

Just saw a movie in Empire 5, as it is still called, and I was surprised that they didn’t use their masking.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Aug 31, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Just got the program for this year’s BFI London Film Festival, and I was surprised to see that they are again using the larger auditoriums of the Vue, considering the greatly reduced seating capacity after the renovation.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Cineworld Cinema - Leicester Square on Aug 31, 2017 at 8:34 am

I agree too, Lionel. I’ve been going to London cinemas since 1967 when I was in the U.S. Army stationed in Germany. It was quite an event flying over to London to see great films at the Warner, Carlton, Dominion, Astoria, and the Classic Cinemas. At the bigger ones, they had an interval after the shorts and trailers, and they had usherettes coming through the aisles wearing trays containing ice cream parfaits and other treats for sale. There was usually a Pathe or Movietone newsreel. And the national anthem was played after the last showing at night. Curtains, flooded in colored light, were used. Now I’m living in the USA and I fly to London a couple of times a year to see movies in nice cinemas. Doing away with Empire Screen 1 was an abomination! It was my favorite cinema. I still like the Odeon Leicester Square, but they usually play the blockbuster films that I’m not interested in seeing. I also like the Prince Charles, and NFT 1 is great. But the showmanship and presentation is sadly a thing of the past.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Feb 1, 2017 at 7:17 am

How will that affect the BFI London Film Festival with their reduced seating capacity? Lack of large auditoriums last year caused them to build a temporary auditorium beside the Thames.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Genito Cinema 9 on Dec 20, 2016 at 11:58 am

Loew’s never operated the Genito. It was built and originally operated by Cineplex-Odeon.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Playhouse Theatre on Dec 1, 2016 at 9:02 pm

When I went to the Playhouse in the early sixties, the curtain was not motorized. When it opened, it looked like someone was pulling the rope with one hand, it was so jerky. I also noticed they did not mask their flat picture, but had the screen opened all the way. I worked in some theatres where the curtain was used for side masking, but I didn’t see this at the Playhouse.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Florida Theatre on Nov 30, 2016 at 11:06 pm

No, I was a member of Richmond, VA, Local 370. I was going to relocate in St. Pete in 1969 and join 552. Cecil Fernandez, the business agent who worked at Plaza 1, sent me to the Cameo and State to familiarize myself with the booths, but both theatres got their closing notices, so I returned to Richmond.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Cameo Theater on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:38 pm

You had to climb a ladder at the back of the auditorium to get to the booth.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Pheil Theatre on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of the auditorium?

Robert L. Bradley commented about Florida Theatre on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:22 pm

When I checked out the Cameo booth, they had Super Simplex projectors, but in the room off to the side were two Brenkert projector heads from the Florida Theatre, which they were going to install in the Cameo. But when I was there, they got two weeks notice on the Cameo, so it never happened.

Robert L. Bradley commented about State Theatre on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Cecil sent me to the State and Cameo, but they both closed before I got to work there. Chuck Horton was at the Cameo and John was at the State.

Robert L. Bradley commented about State Theatre on Nov 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I checked out the Plaza booth under Cecil Fernandez, but I never got to work there.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Oct 24, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I visited the Vue West End again for the 2016 BFI London Film Festival, and the curtains and stage lights were used in Cinemas 5 and 7. It looked very nice. Then I saw a non-festival film in one of the basement cinemas, and curtains and stage lights were not used. I could see that they have the type of curtain that rises because I could see it above the screen. What I don’t understand is, if they have them, why don’t they use them? It makes for a much nicer presentation.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Monroe Theatre on Sep 28, 2016 at 2:47 pm

I visited the Monroe Theatre several times. In the picture above, the red doors were the exit doors next to the screen. The screen was at the street end of the theatre. The entrance was on the right. The ticket counter and concession stands were on the right of the long entrance way, which went all the way to the back of the building and was parallel to the auditorium. You would make two left turns there and you would be at the back of the auditorium. The auditorium had green stage curtains flooded in green light. Flat and scope pictures were common width, with masking at the bottom which would be raised for scope pictures. Flat pictures were almost in the scope ratio, which made for too much cropping of the picture. When I used to go there in the middle 60s, they didn’t have tickets. When you paid, they kept track of admissions with tally marks on a sheet of paper. I don’t know what they did if they had to give refunds, since there were no ticket stubs. The theatre was the first theatre I ever attended that had push-back seats.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Egyptian Theatre on Jun 8, 2016 at 3:40 pm

I saw the 70mm version of GONE WITH THE WIND. It was badly cropped at the top and bottom and a vertical pan-and-scan was used. It was also an abomination.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Jan 26, 2016 at 6:07 pm

When I attended the BFI London Film Festival in 2014, the curtains were used, but not at the 2015 festival.

Robert L. Bradley commented about National Theatre on Dec 15, 2015 at 7:24 pm

When I worked there from 1969 to 1983, we had two Simplex X-L projectors with Peerless Magnarc Lamps and a carbon-arc spotlight. Great picture!

Robert L. Bradley commented about Grand Theater on Oct 21, 2015 at 6:50 am

The Park was in the 800 block of East Broad Street where the Trailways Bus Station used to be. The Grand had once been the Bluebird. It was at 620 East Broad.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Vue West End on Oct 12, 2015 at 2:41 am

I’m currently attending the BFI London Film Festival 2015, and they are not using their curtains. If they have them, then why not use them? It makes for a more polished and professional presentation.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Egyptian Theatre on Jan 23, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I agree that they need a curtain, or at least flood the screen in colored light.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Regent Theatre on Dec 18, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I went there last week to see ST. VINCENT. They’re STILL not using their curtain.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Million Dollar Theatre on Dec 13, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I was there tonight to see THE GODFATHER. They had an excellent 35mm print but it was very dark and much of the sound was unintelligible due to bad acoustics. They did use the curtain at the beginning and end. I sat in the balcony. There was a very large crowd.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley commented about Cineworld Cinema - Leicester Square on Oct 16, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I was there this week and saw ANNABELLE on their Impact screen. I was very impressed.

Robert L. Bradley commented about Playhouse Theatre on Jul 8, 2014 at 12:11 pm

The Playhouse had a beautiful curved CinemaScope screen, but it had no movable masking. When a flat picture (1.85:1) was shown, the whole width of the screen was exposed. It had a curtain which was manually operated. It opened in a jerky manner, as if someone was using just one hand on the rope.