Comments from RogerA

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:18 am

I didn’t know that CTC thanks for the input

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Nov 19, 2014 at 12:24 am

bigjoe don’t leave out the Vista Theater that has been around for a long time as a single screen and is first run

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Nov 18, 2014 at 10:33 pm

bigjoe59 The El Capitan which was the Paramount has been in operation as a single screen first run movie theater for many years. The Egyptian was shut down for many years after it was damaged by the Northridge earthquake but it is no longer a first run venue. The Vista Theater has been in operation since 1923. The Village Theater and the Bruin Theater in Westwood has been in operation as a first run venue for decades.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Nov 17, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I went to Interstellar in IMAX 70mm. The few scenes that were in IMAX looked great, boring movie but it looked good.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Nov 17, 2014 at 8:23 pm

It was the Dome that made it look so good but I saw it at the Chinese in IMAX. I couldn’t sit through it again even at the Dome.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 26, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Jsittig wrote “all three digital presentations” so all three are digital

RogerA commented about Rivoli Theatre on Oct 18, 2014 at 9:31 pm

markp yes the studios are destroying the biz they have been wanting to eliminate the theaters and go to pay per view for years and they are succeeding

RogerA commented about Charles Cinema on Oct 18, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Well I worked at the Charles and The Astor the screen at the Charles was not that big so I don’t know where you got your information. Yes the Charles had Cinemeccanica 35/70 projectors with carbon arcs. They later converted to xenon and platters so one person could run all three screens. When Sack took over they reduced the screen size even further by masking it off.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:40 pm

The irony here is that while The Arclight maintains a fairly high quality presentation Pacific Theaters owned by the same company is notorious for a horrible presentation.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 8, 2014 at 11:06 pm

the 5 perf 70mm prints are going to crop the IMAX footage or letterbox it so all versions will have some cropped or letter boxed footage. It was the filmmakers decision to shoot in multiple formats. I would have seen it at the Dome but I support the projectionists. And yes I expect the Chinese will get it right enough to satisfy the director, Christopher Nolan.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 8, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Any good business man know that a shrinking market is bad, so looks like your in the buggy whip business, or would you prefer the pony express.

And you named the only theaters that have a bright picture and good sound and even at those theaters the picture isn’t that bright. I know the business, the current business, just check out any average multiplex and you will find poor quality. More and more I stay at home to watch any movie.

I will go to watch Interstellar at the Chinese and expect they will get it right.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 8, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Cinema seat sales has been in a decline for the last five years where have you been? And if the theaters are doing so great why can’t they project a bright clear picture with good sound? Because management hires cheap labor not skilled experts.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 8, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Yes United Artist was big on hiring 18 year old kid’s with no experience to thread projectors and push the start button. Where are the United Artist theaters now? Gone just like quality presentation. Focus, framing, presentation all became things of the past when they hired kids with no experience. AMC did the same they had one 18 year old running 20 screens. Digital has not brought the quality that was promised. Most AMC theaters have issues with sound and picture and more now with the digital projectors. All the AMC theaters in Santa Monica have had problems for years. Blown sound channels etc. The baby boom (sub woofer) channel is blown in most theaters. If they need maintenance and technical people why don’t they hire them? Because the theater owners claim to care but in reality they don’t. There are qualified people who could do the maintenance but they don’t hire them.

The presentation picture and sound at the Arclight is very good and the projectionists help keep the quality high. Projectionists do more than just run the projectors they should maintain and repair the equipment. They should go from theater to theater checking sound and picture. Fixing any problem that comes up. Of course when there is a problem you could always wait hours for a technician to show up if the tech is even available. Yes the job has changed a lot the projectionist now has to be a technician and quality control person. Most theater owners have let the quality of their product get so bad people would rather stay at home. The poor presentation in most theaters is just another reason for the distributors to release their films on pay for view. Most people would rather watch the movie at home instead of paying to go see a dim picture and hear bad sound. So in reference to your pony express comment; we can count on putting all the thousands of managers out to pasture when most of the cinemas close because of lack of business because that’s where the business is going.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:33 pm

To answer the questions on screen size pre conversion at the Chinese; the Cinemiracle screen was over 100 feet and was curved. The largest picture using 35mm film scope 2.35 is 65 feet any larger the light required would damage the film. So the masking at the Chinese was set at 65 feet for scope and for 70mm. There has always been a problem getting enough light to fill the huge screen. The IMAX 70mm projector they are going to install for Nolans new film should be bright enough.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 1, 2014 at 7:39 pm

low pay, 12 bucks an hour and no benefits

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm

and in IMAX 70mm at the Chinese. I’ll have to see it at the Chinese. I won’t go to the Dome until they settle their dispute with the projectionist. I have been waiting to see an IMAX movie at the Chinese since the redo.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Maybe there were exceptions but souvenir programs were a part of being a road show. Even road shows with general seating had the program.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Aug 17, 2014 at 2:03 am

I went to the Ziegfield in New York to see the Apocalypse original release and the presentation was excellent.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Jun 14, 2014 at 1:23 am

The screen at the Chinese was 120 feet but the curve made up for 20 feet of that so if you look at it dead on it was a little less than 100 feet wide the same size as the Imax screen is now. Only a small area of the screen at the Chinese was used. Width was limited to 65 feet for the 2:35 format 35mm film as the amount of light required to get 18 foot lamberts on a big screen will damage the film.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Jun 14, 2014 at 1:06 am

Yes, the Cinerama Dome opened with Mad World in Ultra-Panavision the print being a single 70mm strand with 6 channels of mag sound on the print. The screen has a medium curve. I don’t know the exact angle. Not as curved as the original Cinerama or Todd-AO screens but the screen at the Dome is curved.

Some people hate it and to those who do I would suggest they just go see the film in another theater. There are loads of flat screens in the city. The screen at the Dome does not bother me even the mild distortion that some presentations have. I have seen films at the Dome for over twenty years. When A Million Ways to Die in the West was moved from the Dome to a Smaller theater I decided to wait and watch it in my home theater when it comes to DVD in a week or so. I don’t have a curved screen in my home theater but if someone would find me an anamorphic adapter I would install a curved screen. Some people hate curved screens and some people love the curved screen. I have seen 2001: A Space Odyssey at the Dome and at the Egyptian (flat screen) and it looked much better on the curved screen at the Dome.

The best curved screen was at Grauman’s Chinese in early 90’s. It was a very shallow curve and no one ever complained about that curved screen. I don’t think most people even knew it was curved.

RogerA commented about Astor Theatre on Mar 11, 2014 at 3:34 am

Michael Coate has done his homework. He corrected me on a few points and after long hours of digging through old newspapers I have found that what he writes is correct. It is certain he knows a great deal about this subject.

RogerA commented about Astor Theatre on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I am pretty sure “Raintree Country” was a 35mm reduction print when it played at the Astor as the Todd-AO install was done right before “Porgy and Bess” and that was in ‘59. It interested me to find out that The Astor also ran “Dr. Strangelove” in 35mm 1.66 “The Music Man” in 70mm “El Cid” in 70mm

RogerA commented about Charles Cinema on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:12 am

The buzz about “Star Wars” was alive and well in London well before it was released. In Boston Sack management got rid of the union projectionists that were used to running the Charles and hired others. New prints don’t usually break. The 35mm print I saw at the Charles looked and sounded so bad I called Fox and complained. The operators didn’t even know how to make a proper splice. Fox brought in a 70mm print and I heard that they went through a number of 70mm prints during the run. Why the myth persists that The Charles had a large screen I will never know but in fact the screen at the Charles was not very big and was never the largest in Boston!

RogerA commented about Astor Theatre on Feb 23, 2014 at 1:12 am

I did not know that the owners of the Astor brought legal action against Sack Theaters and many distributors in late 1971. The owners of the Astor claimed they were being shut out of the market.

RogerA commented about Astor Theatre on Feb 23, 2014 at 12:53 am

Yes “Oklahoma!” did open In ‘56 and Porgy was the first Todd-AO film at the Astor. There was an article about the Todd-AO conversions to both the Saxon and The Gary theaters in late 1957 in Boxoffice but the local newspapers confirm these opening dates.