Comments from RogerA

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Sep 25, 2017 at 6:07 pm

How the West Was Won (1962) – Ultra Panavision 70 (some action scenes and shots requiring rear projection, optically converted to 3 strip Cinerama through special printer. The bulk was shot in 3 strip Cinerama.)

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Sep 24, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Some scenes from How the West Was Won were shot in 70mm Ultra Panavision They were able to convert 70mm to three strip. The Dome was built to handle both 3 strip and single 70mm 5 perf. Even after 10 years of three strip films some theaters were not ready to change to the single strip version,

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Sep 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm

The Cinerama Dome was built to be able to show 3 strip in case the 70mm version of Cinerama failed. I was told there were even 3 strip prints of It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. When the theater opened with the Ultra Panavision print of Mad world there was a much larger louvered screen; a standard Cinerama screen. A single piece screen was installed at some point and there has been replacements screens installed over the years. True the Seattle Cinerama has two screens a regular screen and the Cinerama louvered screen. Most movies are run on the smaller flat screen.

Still the 3 strip presentation at the Dome looked pretty good. If I had the time and the money I would take a trip to Seattle for a few big screen presentations.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Sep 22, 2017 at 3:10 pm

I would guess that because they don’t advertise the 3 strip very well the turn out is low. There is also the question of who would act as chief projectionist.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Sep 21, 2017 at 6:31 pm

The Dome can find people to run the 3 strip at the Dome it isn’t that hard. And it is about the process not the film. Well put RussM!

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Aug 30, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Just let me know if they ever run 3 strip Cinerama again.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 28, 2017 at 4:51 pm

It is still there

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Yes they used the full screen

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 24, 2017 at 8:54 am

Richie I was at the same show on Sunday and yes there was a small hair in the gate that showed up on the bottom center. It was joined by another hair as the movie progressed. It wasn’t worth complaining about and I wonder if the projectionist could even deal with it. There should be a bottle of CO2 next to the projector to blow the gate. That is one of the problems with film dirt.

There weren’t suppose to be trailers. When I got the tickets they made it a point to say there were no trailers. Im glad there were only two. The studio must have scrambled to get 70mm trailers printed and sent out to the theaters. That show might have the first one to run those trailers. I can dispute the out of frame claim. The projectionist adjusted the framing a little for I am thinking the first trailer. I noticed when he adjusted but it was a letterboxed trailer so there was a black matt top and bottom. He should have just left it centered.

And yes the deep curve of the screen causes some distortion but it didn’t look that noticeable. I wonder if it was an optically corrected print.

There are a lot of 70mm prints out there go see it again in IMAX film at Universal. They can get dirt in the gate too.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 9, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Does anyone know if there is gonna be film IMAX copies. I know Universal and the Chinese are digital but both still have the film projectors. I don’t care I’m just gonna see the 70 five perf at the Dome.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 7, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Well the IMAX negative has lots of area so a reduction print should look good. The 70mm print will have to be cropped from IMAX negative.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 7, 2017 at 3:51 pm

If it does well it may be there longer

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 7, 2017 at 3:42 pm

You better hurry and get you tickets it will only be at the Dome for four days.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Jun 20, 2017 at 5:14 pm

There is a large concession stand where once there was seating and two columns have been removed.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Jun 20, 2017 at 1:37 pm

http://www.tclchinesetheatres.com/portfolio-view/time-lapse-of-the-tcl-chinese-theatre-imax-renovation/ there was a lot done to the theater for the renovation

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jun 15, 2017 at 11:23 pm

I went to see it (70mm Wonder Woman) in theater six got a great seat its like a screening room. It would be nice they ran it in the Dome for a couple of shows. I am okay with 70mm in the smaller theater I just sit closer to the screen

RogerA commented about Egyptian Theatre on Jun 15, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Just saw The Dark Crystal (1982) in 70mm An original print discovered in Europe

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 22, 2017 at 11:58 am

Star Wars was moved to a Mann theater in Hollywood and not the Cinerama. Sorcerer did play in the Chinese because it was previously booked and they had to play it. Mann wanted to keep Star Wars so they installed 70mm in a theater down the street and played Star Wars there until they could get rid of Sorcerer. This incident is why they built the twins. So in the future they could move a movie that wasn’t doing good business to one of the twins and keep the big house for the hit. Once Star Wars was back in the Chinese it stayed there for a record run. The twins are long gone demolished for the Hollywood Highland redo.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 19, 2017 at 6:05 pm

The square footage of the Chinese theater is extreme. It has changed over the years with the various modifications. Someone once estimated it to be around 500,000 cubic feet. Because of its size it was hard to get proper sound levels. The center channel high frequency horn would often fail from being over driven. The auditorium doesn’t look that big but it is an optical illusion. One time I chose to walk from the stage to the front during a power failure with no lights in the auditorium. My light was just absorbed by the darkness. It just doesn’t look as big as it is.

The screen is in an area that was once the stage. The stage is gone now. Partially removed for the Windjammer modification the remainder of the stage was removed for the IMAX modification. Two pillars in the front of the auditorium were also removed years ago for the Windjammer modification. The area these pillars were supporting dropped an inch or two when they were removed. These pillars matched the other pillars but were in front of the auditorium to the left and right of the stage. These pillars limited the screen size and were removed to install the huge Windjammer screen.

At one time there were two areas in the rear of the auditorium that was the nursery. The concession stand is new and keeps growing. When the Windjammer booth was removed and the projectors moved back upstairs the concession stand was enlarged. So over the years the Chinese has changed but still is huge.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 18, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I know the proscenium at the Chinese is around 100' and I think the IMAX screen is close to that at about 97' Not sure what size Loews Lincoln Square is. But size can vary the largest IMAX screen is in Australia

RogerA commented about New Beverly Cinema on May 11, 2017 at 11:03 am

This has become the temple of film. I violated the sanctity by looking at my cell phone to check the time was threatened by customer and told never to come back. Had to get the manager to get this guy to calm down and go away. They only run film. Most of their patrons are serious fans of film.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 8, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Yea the volume on the trailers to loud and the volume on the feature to low.

Oh the lights in the ceiling are nothing like they should be at one time they were adjustable blue red yellow

RogerA commented about Aero Theatre on Mar 27, 2017 at 2:05 pm

A friend of mine went to see 2001 in 70mm on Friday. He told me that the print didn’t look new. It looked like an older print. Anyone know anything about this?

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jan 9, 2017 at 5:22 pm

I just went to see La La Land in cinema 10 at the Arclight. After one hour I couldn’t stand it any more and left. It might have been enjoyable if the quality of the picture wasn’t so poor. Poor is an understatement it was unwatchable. The big joke at the beginning was the CinemaScope logo! A CinemaScope picture was bright and sharp. Not dim and fuzzy. Digital just looks like $hit. I know you people don’t get it. Maybe your vision isn’t what it used to be. Maybe you just don’t remember. The fact is when you blow up a low quality video it looks bad unless you are sitting in the back row of the theater. And at this point I don’t care if it is 2k 4k or 8k. 24FPS 48FPS 60FPS 120FPS (anything over 60 is a waste by the way). It doesn’t seem to matter. Digital looks great on my small screen. Looks great on a large screen TV. But when digital it is projected on a large screen it just looks bad. The bigger the screen the worse it looks. I walked out of Star Wars at an AMC because the presentation was horrid. Management apologized and refunded my money. So Chris “the days of film are over” well if that is true then most of the theaters will soon follow. The real sin is they had two film projectors in Cinema 10 and supposedly this was shot on film. But of course they probably went to digital to do the edit so there goes all the goodness of film.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 6, 2016 at 10:02 am

Well adapt to the fact that film is the new vinyl!

I am a IMDB listed Director of photography so I do know a little about this.

For ten years Cinerama ran films that were just well done home movies. Boring. The three camera movies are only worth watching in the three projector format. The Seattle Cinerama does it. Some people just don’t get it film, when done right, looks better than digital! The resolution of film is much higher than digital. As for presentation; Star Wars at the Chinese in 70mm on Norelcos with 13.6 carbon arcs was brighter and sharper than the laser projection they have now. Three projector Cinerama was super sharp and super bright. I saw a a three projector presentation of How the West Was Won at the Dome. I sat in the Cinerama Zone. I was impressed. Yea there were the lines but it was clear and bright. It was also interesting to see the resolution drop when 65mm ultra-panavision footage was used. It was the first time I noticed grain. But the three camera footage show on three projectors is stunning.

The Dome management has a history of just not quite getting the point. Years ago they did a 25 year re-premier of It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. The only print they could find was a 35mm anamorphic with optical sound that belonged to an archive and a pan and scan print used for television broadcast. They ran the archive print for the re-premier and the pan and scan print for a week. There were so many complaints and pissed off people the manager locked himself in the office and gave orders to refund anyone who complained. If the cheap bastards had just had the lab make a new print they could have run that for weeks with no complaints. Even now a 70mm print of Mad World continues to run in theaters.

I was even asked by someone while at the re-premier if these old negatives were even worth saving. Some people just don’t get it. Like that young executive that trashed years of old video instead of saving it.

If I am going to sit in a theater with old style seats it has to something special. I would have paid a few bucks to see that short film that was shot in three strip Cinerama. I can watch video at home or in a small theater with lounge chairs and drink service. Why haven’t they run a good Ultra Panavision print of The Hateful Eight at the Dome? Are they afraid it will look better than the video? Or have they just given up on film?

The people who run the Aero get it.