Photos favorited by Simon Overton

  • <p>October 2011</p>
  • <p>The original Pyke’s Cinematograph Theatre on Seven Sisters Road, which became the entrance to the Gaumont.</p>
  • <p>columbusunderground.com</p>
  • <p>Not real ornate inside, but still pretty impressive. A great way to see a film</p>
  • <p>The organ……..</p>
  • <p>Picture Taken 1959</p>
  • <p>Superb decor and a magnificent WurliTzer Theatre Organ.</p>
  • <p>View of the balcony of the RKO Mayfair</p>
  • <p>The curtains open at the beginning of “Inkheart” in January of 2009.</p>
  • <p>Stand on the north side of Chestnut Street, to see surviving upper panes of the original 1928 window glass, in Art Deco geometric patterns, which was in various colors. In recent years, plans were drawn to replicate the entire gorgeous window. Copyright: The Irvin R. Glazer Collection, Athenaeum of Philadelphia & used with their permission by Friends of the Boyd, Inc.</p>
  • <p>1928 photo. Lavishly decorated, the auditorium opened with 2450 seats (1536 orchestra, 914 balcony) and great acoustics. Every seat has a perfect sightline of the stage & screen. Copyright: The Irvin R. Glazer Collection, Athenaeum of Philadelphia. The fixtures are currently in storage off site.</p>
  • <p>1928 Opening Day photo. Acclaimed as a “national treasure” Philadelphia’s last premiere movie palace should be too important for Philadelphia to lose! Copyright: The Irvin R. Glazer Collection, Athenaeum of Philadelphia</p>
  • <p>Taken September 9th, 2011</p>
  • <p>Taken September 9th, 2011</p>