Comments from alpinedownhiller

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Garden State 16 on Aug 14, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I think it is the same.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:43 pm

(Thinking about the Chinese more, I think I was probably getting the 80' figure from recalling what they had said about the size of the screen that they had taken OUT and not the one they put in when they put in the new Laser IMAX system, so the 94' probably is correct.

Side, side note, Jersey Gardens theater in NJ has a huge auditorium that has the width to easily support at least a 75' wide screen, maybe even 80', it seems to have mroe like a 65', the problem is down where the screen is the ceiling is really low so they can’t fit much more than a 65' wide one in height wise if they want to keep at least ditigal IMAX ratio, if they were willing to move it up a few rows, which would seem reasonable enough since the place has a zillion seats in it, I’m sure they could fit in at least a 70' digital IMAX screen and I wonder if they could manage a 75', it might even be possible to raise the ceiling a bit down there since I suspect there has got to be some good bit of space up above the ceiling assuming they don’t have some critical pipes and such routed above it right there and then, if they ever went laser, could maybe give northern NJ a huge 80' wide digital IMAX ratio screen)

Back to this one, the weird thing is the auditorium here and screen at first look actually look smaller than the Reading Laser IMAX. I could swear the theater here has less seats across each row. That said once the full Dunkirk trailer started it did seem super looming, running full height, even from second to last row and that did give the sense the screen is the largest around. But the Reading one is huge. I’m sure it’s got to be the 86' you mention for sure and I might have guessed more like 93'. I think the New England Aquarium one is 85'. Anyway, whatever, hard to eyeball and different auditorium shapes can make it trickier to get a feel for what is going on.

I’m not a fan of the buttkickers at Reading, but otherwise it’s the best screen I’ve ever seen (the one here would be second best now for 2D but, at least the day I was there with the glasses they had then, one of the worst ever for 3D). I could swear they keep it, the Reading, even darker in the auditorium than the Laser IMAX here at Lincoln Square so the blacks are just utterly inky and the 3D, at least when I was there, used different glasses that produce utter perfection, just unlike any 3D I’ve seen anywhere else ever, just perfect, while the Laser 3D here ended up being horribly disappointing with the new glasses producing terrible double vision for the right eye, realyl do hope they actually do 100% fix that)

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 31, 2017 at 6:41 pm

(on a side note for the greater NYC region, NJ really trails behind in screen size, northern and central NJ, AFAIK, tops out at 65' wide, despite it being one of the richest regions in the entire nation. Yet many other states have screens that hit 70', 75', 80', 85' (and CA and NYC even hit over 90', perhaps MA does with the Laser IMAX, not sure, seemed huge though and there had been a long period of 10-20 years where the area topped out at about 50' with most few theaters even having above 36'-38' and there are no true IMAX theaters readily accessible as this theater is an expensive pain to get to for someone from NJ and the only other one is a LONG drive to Atlantic City, I think A.C. now has two screens 70' or wider)

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 31, 2017 at 6:32 pm

“The Chinese screen is 94 ft W X 46 ft H according to the overview on the CT page for that theatre.”

hmm interesting since some other place claimed the upgraded screen was 80' wide

94' wide would be truly tremendous

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 31, 2017 at 6:31 pm

The Chinese is not the largest and especially not the tallest. Even after the upgrade, the Chinese still tops out at 80' wide (the one here is 97' wide) and the Chinese has a digital IMAX ratio so it’s not that tall (compared to a real IMAX ratio screen).

Still 80' wide is one of the wider ones around, although there are some others that wide or wider around.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 25, 2017 at 7:55 pm

I play stuff at home theater with a nice loud volume, sub, top speakers everything but not the point you go deaf or wince.

I have a $1500 headphone amp.

I know about good sound quality.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 25, 2017 at 7:53 pm

“The volume levels are carefully tested to meet imax standards.”

Which are louder than most rock concerts where they warn people to wear earplugs or lose their hearing.

And those low volume baby days are a horror, accidentally got tickets for one and quickly walked out and got a refund. It’s just wailing babies and breast feeding moms glaring at you as soon as you round the bend into the theater.

I like it loud but there is reasonably loud like theaters used to be for ages and then their is insanely loud.

Some guys have been bringing in sound meters and finding loud parts over 120dB and a few have found movies where it averaged over 100dB over two hours!

In some theaters even just dialogue can make you wince with pain.

It’s not the ultimate in sound quality if you have to wear earplugs or hold your ears or have them ringing. I’ve walked out of some showings and could barely hear anyone talking for the next hour and ears ringing. That simply can’t be good for your ears.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 24, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I still think the volume at most theaters these days, especially IMAX, is too loud. Hearing damage causing loud. Uncomfortably loud.

Believe it or not they invited some who at actually been at Dunkirk to one of the IMAX premieres (different theater) and they said it looked pretty accurate but it was too loud! They said in the IMAX theater it was louder than it had been in real life (at least unless you were so close to a bomb that you didn’t survive)! That just shows how nuts the volume levels have gotten in the the theaters.

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Garden State 16 on Jul 24, 2017 at 5:14 pm

The digital IMAX 1.9:1 screen is way bigger than their 70mm equipped 2.34:1 screen if that helps any. I think their IMAX screen is about 65' wide. I think their 70mm one is #15 and I think that one is probably something like 38' wide?

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Jul 14, 2017 at 7:16 pm

thanks

Was it a projection issue with #10 or do you think it was just something a little messed up with some of the 2D to 3D conversion and intrinsic to the video file itself?

And did you notice and color fringing at #10? I haven’t seen a movie on that screen in a number of years but it had horrendous color fringing the last time I did. Just wondering if they fixed that or not.

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Jul 14, 2017 at 7:14 pm

holy cow why did the last paragraph of my last post turn into gigantic red letters?

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 13, 2017 at 10:01 pm

did ever really truly fix the 3D here (at the Laser IMAX screen)? Is the bad ghosting and messed up glasses issues with uneven poor coatings on the right lenses on some to many of the glasses really fixed?

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Jul 13, 2017 at 9:59 pm

which screen did you find the 3D blurry at times for Spiderman, #7 or #10? And in what way was it blurry? It’s not blurry in #8 (IMAX).

Just wondering if they ever fixed the problem where the R,G,B alignment for the projection on screens 7 and 10 was out of wack (nothing to do with 3D itself though) which produced color fringing and made things look a touch blurry in a weird way across the entire screen, all the time.

15 and #6 have really good projection (as does the IMAX, although it obviously doesn’t do 4k like it seems 15 and 6 can). I don’t think they ever show 3D in #15 and #6 so it probably doesn’t hurt that the projector is locked into single projection, no polarized mode either. Those two always seem to have deep blacks (for non-Laser, non-Dolby, non-IMAX, at least), strong contrast, bright projection, very crisp, rich colors, nice gamma and calibration and so on.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 9, 2017 at 9:39 pm

never mind, in the case of A Ghost Story, the curved edges are correct, it uses the old NTSC format and they purposely also added curves on top to make it look like older TVs

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jul 9, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I wonder if the curved edges were some projection mistake? I saw something in #1 once and it had some curved edges and it definitely should not have.

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on May 8, 2017 at 12:04 am

Gotta be soon. Just noticed #9 has not shown any movies for the last couple of weeks.

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Apr 17, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Those vibrating seats basically stick a giant ultra sub-woofer under every single seat. Total gimmick IMO. I sat in one in a non-DOlby theater and it was annoying at times and sometimes it kinda rattles your neck and head and it left my ears buzzing for a week.

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Apr 17, 2017 at 2:56 pm

As far the Dolby goes not sure how I feel about that either. Apparently they can’t legally put in a screen bigger than the IMAX so that doesn’t seem to give them much room to enlarge #16,#1,or #9 any so it seems like just a way to pay twice the ticket price you do for one of the three other largest screens just to get recliner seats (which also means way less seats and a much bigger rush on tickets at the big screens).

It sounds like it would be laser projection though which is great. OTOH it sounds like they might go for those vibro seats which I really do not like at all. Very distracting and sometimes uncomfortable IMO. I hope they give the vibro seats on-off buttons at least.

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Apr 17, 2017 at 2:52 pm

I think they might be going to assigned seating for the IMAX too. Not entirely sure how I feel about that.

All I know is I was in there for Ghost in the Shell and all the seats had numbers and the aisles had row letters. I could swear that stuff was never there before. For a second I was like did I somehow accidentally drive way out to Paramus instead of Rockaway? hah.

Also I was even more wrong about Rockaway having the largest or tied for largest regular digital IMAX in the region. Paramus one is definitely bigger (contrary to the way someone on that thread had described it) and I suspect the New Brunswick IMAX is bigger (although it’s not verified) and I think there might be one more as well, one that might be the largest of them all in far eastern NJ.

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:39 pm

The projection in #7 is off and it’s been off for a good two years now. They need to get someone to re-calibrate the projector as the R,G,B are not all aligned and everything has bit of color fringing and the overall resolution comes across low.

I’ve only seen a movie in #12 once, pretty recently, not sure if it was a one time thing or what, but the black levels were really high and the contrast low and it was really faded out. They seem to put stuff they are about to drop in that theater so maybe it’s just a really old, worn out projector? Or maybe it’s a good one but the calibration for levels is set way, way wrong.

Haven’t seen one in #10 for a long time but the last time I did it was like #7, only to an even greater degree, huge purple and yellow fringing problem.

I think the projection is calibrated and set properly on all the other screens though (although some of the recent Fathom stuff in #16 has been off, first it was crushed blacks and hyper contrast, now it has none of those issue but a bit faded blacks and low contrast and dim but not that bad and better than before but not as good as once upon a time before their Fathom events projection broke a couple years ago or so).

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Garden State 16 on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Oh #4 though, maybe they have fixed it, but when I peeked in a few weeks ago they had the projector misaligned from the screen more than I have ever seen. Literally at least the entire top 4' of the screen had no image and the bottom of the image was projected at least 4' below where the screen ended. A real mess. It was probably even farther off than that actually. So despite a decent screen size, if that is not corrected I’d avoid #4 for now. (should be a super trivial correction)

alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Garden State 16 on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Made a mistake. Took a closer look at Screen #4 across from the food and it’s actually not one the smallest screens. It’s one of the larger ones, like #1, although not nearly as big as #2 IMAX,#3 Dolby, #5. I think it’s actually #6 or #7 off in the corner that might be the really small one.

I think it goes #2,3,5 are really big to huge. #1,#4 are fairly big. #12 is decent. The rest are all smaller size, although most of them are still almost as large as the largest screens at those old 70s/80s mall type theaters that had lots of shoebox screens. #6 or 7 might be pretty small though.

The number of seats doesn’t seem all that tied to the screen size here and it appears can vary a lot for the same size screen.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:28 pm

We have spoken to management. We are not posting random listings about showings or whatnot. There is no official facebook for this theater.

And come on twitter? 144 characters?

Neither of those places gets any movie theater discussion going on.

This is a place for knowledgeable people to get a clue about the size of screens, type of projection, what the current status of projection is, etc.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 6, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Not sure why they have those on. I didn’t think the ceiling lights had been on at all when I went to this theater, although I could be wrong. They were definitely off at Reading.

Ah, OK so you wear glasses. I think that explains it. (that person with me wore glasses and saw doubling but no reflections, but with glasses that makes a lot more chances for things to go badly and reflections to crop up, I never wear glasses to movies, glasses also make things look smaller than contacts so screen size seems less impressive too)

Maybe they got rid of the bad glasses, but for SW there were definitely a lot of bad ones at this theater unless we were so insanely unlucky to have like the only 2 bad ones out of hundreds (I also note a few other people have mentioned some weird doubling on parts of the screen here too so I think it’s got to be, or at least used to be, could still be, some to many bum glasses here even if all of them are not).

The glasses at Reading were different, even smaller lenses, but perfect (at least for contact or no glasses wearers). I wish they had kept the old ones for non-glasses wearers and just experimented with special ones for glasses wearers since it seems they messed them up totally for non-glasses wearers (although maybe it was simply poor QC on many of the pairs and nothing directly to do with that). (I also wonder if wearing glasses maybe somehow let you see more just through the center of the lens and avoid doubling even with bad glasses if your prescription is of a certain sort?).

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 4, 2017 at 6:22 pm

The bitching is because the glasses are messed up here. Many of the pairs only have the coating applied to the very center of the right lens so you get left and right signal into parts of the right eye field of vision.

At the other laser IMAX install I went to they had different glasses and it was perfection.