Comments from stang119

stang119 commented about Quad Cinema changes hands on Sep 12, 2014 at 10:17 pm

We’ll see.

stang119 commented about Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers on Aug 29, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Time to change the old “Movieland” photo on homepage. I downloaded a new picture and more to come. I live this place

stang119 commented about New City Cinemas on Aug 28, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I added a picture of the entrance.

stang119 commented about Surrey Theatre on Aug 24, 2014 at 8:29 am

I actually saw Hard Days Night at the Surrey. It was doubled billed with the Elvis Presley film “Kid Gallahad”. I remember this because the crowd went crazy for the Beatles film but virtually everyone walked out of the Elvis film. Film fame is fleeting!

stang119 commented about Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers on Aug 24, 2014 at 8:14 am

Time for new photos. Place totally renovated, inside and out. I don’t know how to do it. Can someone tell me how?

stang119
stang119 commented about Alamo Drafthouse announces first L.A. location on Aug 24, 2014 at 8:11 am

We now have a Drafthouse here in Yonkers NY. Can’t wait for this one so I can take my LA niece when I visit there.

stang119 commented about Regal Ronkonkoma Stadium 9 on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:29 am

I went here for the first time yesterday. Very surprised at how nice it is. Does anyone know if this theatre is profitable? The area is kinda dingy and only a few people there.

stang119 commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on Mar 18, 2014 at 9:58 am

Re: the article on this theatre Mar 8, 2014 — “Remnants of Times Square’s Loew’s Mayfair Theater” When I was young this was called The DeMille Theatre and I saw many a roadshow film here. I never could figure out why it was just abandoned as a theatre. I’m assuming that since it was once a vaudeville house that it could be renovated into a legit Broadway theatre, If Disney could do it for the New Amsterdam then why not this house too?

stang119
stang119 commented about Cross County Multiplex Cinemas on Dec 26, 2013 at 11:28 am

What an apt description. One of the more boring NA cookie cutter theatres. Nothing special here…except for the parking.

stang119 commented about Nanuet Mall Theater on Dec 18, 2013 at 11:38 am

New Theatres are open, but no listing yet on Cinema Treasures.

stang119 commented about Angelika Film Center on Dec 17, 2013 at 11:57 am

I went here once a few years back to see “Run, Lola, Run”. What an awful experience. Very gloomy and that damn subway rumbling. Never went back.

stang119 commented about Kent Theatre on Oct 26, 2013 at 10:00 am

This was my neighborhood theatre to catch American-International films. Yeah, saw all the Beach Party films here. RIP Annette!

stang119 commented about Luxor Theatre on Oct 26, 2013 at 9:58 am

This was the Bronx’s ‘Premiere Showcase’ Theatre. Exclusive UA first run films day/dating with Manhattan. First film: “The Road To Hong Kong” (1962) followed by “Birdman of Alcatraz”.

stang119 commented about Devon Theatre on Oct 26, 2013 at 9:52 am

This is the theatre where I saw my first James Bond movies! Double feature of Dr. No and From Russia With Love in 1964.

stang119 commented about New City Cinemas on Oct 26, 2013 at 9:36 am

BTW I know the area, but have no idea what the photo above is!

stang119 commented about New City Cinemas on Oct 26, 2013 at 9:34 am

On November 1, 2013 this theatre will be re-named The BowTie Fine Arts Theatre and will become Rockland County’s theatre for art, independent and foreign films. This makes sense as, in addition to the nearby AMC Palisades Theatres, Regal Theatres is opening a new 12-plex in the Nanuet Mall. Nice alternative programming. Already been digitally converted.

stang119 commented about Central Plaza Cinema on Sep 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm

If they are going to renovate they need to eliminate the upstairs Theatres There is zero access if you have any trouble climbing stairs. That is the main reason I stopped going there. I drove past today and there is just a closed sign at the box office. Nothing else. I can’t possibly imagine any other kind of business that could use this space.

stang119 commented about Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers on Aug 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I think optimist008 is jumping the gun. Alamo is not playing a few of the same films. It’s only one “2 Guns” and I personally think this is an anomaly. When it was the Movieland 6 there were enough films for both theatres and with the Alamo’s policy of also playing art films this shouldn’t happen again

stang119 commented about New Metro Twin on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:39 am

With the Alamos, construction looks can be deceiving. The old Movieland in Yonkers looked for months as if nothing was happening and plans were abandoned. Then all of a sudden, like Christmas, it opened! And it’s beautiful! Don’t worry, it’ll be fine!

stang119 commented about Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Good news. Alamo is having a pre-opening weekend Aug. 2, 3 and 4. It’s a run-thru for the staff. “Singin' in the Rain” @ $2 and all food is half price! I already have my tickets. Grand opening is the following week.

stang119
stang119 commented about Bow Tie Cinemas to acquire Clearview on May 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

With the closing of the 61st & 2nd (BTW, a horrible theatre name) BowTie will have only one theatre in Manhattan (Chelsea). The Clearview theatre in Greenburgh is a nightmare. I hope BowTie does something here as it is the only convenient theatre showing foreign and indies exclusively. I was discreetly told by one of the employees that since the theatre does good biz being exclusive and “the only game in town” that Cablevision wasn’t going to improve it. I hate going there but I have no option. I’ve only been to a BowTie theatre once (in CT) and was impressed. Hope they do the right thing here.

stang119 commented about Pelham Picture House on Apr 21, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I need to correct myself. I actually visited the theatre today to see “Ginger and Rosa” in their smaller screening room. It is actually only 16 seats (not 80 as documented in other places). Surprisingly they are large comfortable seats with footrests. And all digital. I also poked my head into the larger auditorium and it’s lovely! I hadn’t been there in years but I will be going back.

stang119 commented about Pelham Picture House on Apr 20, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Description should be changed to “2 screens” as the 80 seater is open.

stang119
stang119 commented about Limited patience for limited releases on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I remember back in the 1960’s (prior to first run films opening on 3,000 screens) that United Artists started the then revolutionary “Premiere Showcase” A new first run film would open in one or two theatres in each market (here in the Bronx it was the Luxor). Now I have to shlep to Manhattan and pay upwards of $14 to see a limited release movie because we don’t even know if the film will go to other theatres (we have two terrible art theatres in Westchester but it’s pot luck what will play. Never caught “Robot and Frank”, “Jiro Loves Sushi”, “Last Quartet” or “English Vinglish”. When something does play there are always lines. Thank godness we’re getting an Alamo Drafthouse in a few months.

stang119 commented about Bijou Theatre on Feb 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm

For a time this theatre was used to show TV pilots and tested with the public. I think it was the mid-60’s I went a couple of times. Only pilot I even remotely recall was some terrible comedy with Bette Davis as an interior decorator.