Comments from telliott

telliott
telliott commented about AMC Loews 600 North Michigan 9 on Jul 18, 2014 at 9:14 am

According to the AMC web site they have an ad saying “Reclining Soon” showing a recliner chair, so probably that’s what they’re doing in some of their cinemas.

telliott
telliott commented about Cineplex Cinemas Queensway & VIP on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I’ve noticed that it’s only $24.99 on weekends. During the week it’s $19.99 and on Tuesdays $14.99 I guess they’ve come a long way since the Varsity ones opened back in 1999. Will have to try them out someday.

telliott commented about Ed Mirvish Theatre on Jun 21, 2014 at 9:48 am

Sorry, my mistake, I thought it was.

telliott commented about Ed Mirvish Theatre on Jun 20, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Shouldn’t this now be listed as the Ed Mirvish Theatre? Name was changed over 2 years ago.

telliott commented about Empire Theatres Victoria on Jun 1, 2014 at 8:02 am

Thanks Jason! One of the most unique and modern movie theatres I have seen anywhere. Can’t believe it’s gone. Interesting that here and in Vancouver they chose to demolish and rebuild both Capitols rather than divide up in to multiple cinemas like they did in so many other cities. I’m glad they didn’t. This one is stunning.

telliott commented about Dolphin Cinemas on May 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I remember when the Dolphin opened, was an Odeon then. Too bad, another one bites the dust. Amazing it lasted this long. Hopefully the Dunbar and Park will last several more years. Too bad the Ridge is gone. Saw The Sound of Music there when I was 14

telliott commented about AMC Interchange 30 on May 9, 2014 at 6:39 am

I noticed that too. Too bad things didn’t work out. We went there opening weekend and it was a madhouse! Went there a lot over the years. It used to share big new releases with the Colossus, but eventually that got all the new releases. As David mentioned maybe AMC shouldn’t have entered Canada, but then most of them did have several good years. I had seen films in all of the Toronto area ones except Whitby. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the site, probably more restaurants.

telliott commented about King Square Cinemas on May 8, 2014 at 10:56 am

Well when you Google Paramount Saint John and it shows photos with the Famous Players logo and marquee, it looks identical to this one.

telliott
telliott commented about SilverCity Mississauga Cinemas on May 5, 2014 at 8:05 am

I would have thought that too Jason, but the Silvercity Oakville has VIP screens and technically the Winston Churchill is in Oakville so I don’t think they will. I’m wondering if they will open another Silvercity elsewhere in Mississauga since there are several areas of the city without a theatre nearby. For a city of it’s size, it is now left with 3 multiplexes, 2 of which are city centre and one older style 4 screen mall cinema, also near city centre. No one has built anything south of the QEW.

telliott
telliott commented about Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas on May 5, 2014 at 8:00 am

The five new VIP cinemas open here on Friday May 9. I wonder if they will have a separate entrance like the new ones at the Queensway and where it will be.

telliott
telliott commented about SilverCity Mississauga Cinemas on May 3, 2014 at 7:32 am

Yes, I think they put that in there in 2011

telliott
telliott commented about SilverCity Mississauga Cinemas on May 2, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Officially closed as per their website

telliott
telliott commented about SilverCity Mississauga Cinemas on May 2, 2014 at 11:59 am

Yes Jason, 5 minutes down the road. Considering it is so close, I’m surprised it lasted so long. I still don’t get why Cineplex was allowed to keep this when they took over the Winston Churchill. Isn’t that why they had to divest certain locations across the country? Yet years ago chains were allowed to build locations right near each other as an example Famous Players wanted to expand their Square One location but couldn’t so built the Sussex Centre 4 right across the street from the mall. So why was that allowed but when certain companies take over other chains they have to give up some. Doesn’t make sense to me. Years ago, FP had all the theatres in the entire Yonge-Bloor-Bay area of Toronto EXCEPT the Varsity and ironically THAT is the only location still standing, the Varsity 12. And why did Cineplex have to give up BOTH locations in downtown Ottawa….to Empire? wasn’t that a conflict? Now there are both gone. Maybe the World Exchange would still be around if Cineplex had held on to that one.

telliott
telliott commented about SilverCity Mississauga Cinemas on May 2, 2014 at 7:34 am

Is this theatre now closed? Seems to have disappeared from the newspaper movie pages and has no films showing on the Cineplex website.

telliott commented about Empire Theatres Victoria on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Thanks Jason! Now I feel like I’ve actually been to the theatre to see a movie in all 6 auditoriums. I still think it’s a shame that someone couldn’t make this place work. Still looks too modern to be closed. And does every theatre have to have stadium seating these days. Too bad.

telliott commented about Boyd Theatre on Mar 20, 2014 at 10:57 am

Like we’ve said before, once it’s gone, it’s gone. What a shame.

telliott
telliott commented about Cineplex Odeon Westmount & VIP Cinemas on Mar 8, 2014 at 11:58 am

Shouldn’t this say 11 screens, not 10?

telliott
telliott commented about Cineplex Cinemas Scarborough on Mar 7, 2014 at 10:56 am

Too bad they don’t keep the Colossus brand, Cineplex Cinemas Vaughan doesn’t sound very exciting.

telliott
telliott commented about Cineplex Cinemas Scarborough on Mar 6, 2014 at 11:41 am

Interesting how they are giving up the Coliseum brand. I wonder if they will give up Colossus too. In some cases changing Cineplex Odeon too.

telliott
telliott commented about Cineplex Odeon Aurora Cinemas on Mar 2, 2014 at 9:15 am

This opened December 19th, 2005 and not in 1995…5 years after Silvercity Newmarket.

telliott
telliott commented about Famous Players Bramalea Cinemas on Mar 1, 2014 at 10:10 am

I seem to remember that the Bramalea only had 3 screens, wasn’t aware that they expanded to 4. It had only 3 when I used to go there. Square One had 4.

telliott commented about Empire Theatres Victoria on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:04 am

Thanks Jason!

telliott commented about Empire Theatres Victoria on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:12 pm

What was the layout of the theatre Jason? Seems like a very unique design. Were all of the cinemas on one level? Did you have to use that ramp to enter the cinema level? I really wish I had the opportunity to have seen a film there and to experience the theatre like I did the Capitol 6 in Vancouver.

telliott commented about Empire Theatres Victoria on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Interesting how the Odeon across the street is still going strong, yet no one went to the Capitol 6. Looks great to me. Wonder what the difference was? There are always enough films to go around.

telliott commented about Empire Theatres Victoria on Feb 27, 2014 at 7:44 am

What a beautiful theatre. Sometimes I wish this era of big box megaplexes never happened, we’ve lost dozens and dozens of perfectly fine theatres that would have lasted for years to come in another time. I can’t imagine why the Capitol 6 could not make a go of it with another company, say Rainbow / Magic Lantern or Landmark.