Comments from thebrat

thebrat commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Vito, it’s the mix itself. Magnetic wouldn’t improve anything.

thebrat commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 8, 2014 at 8:33 pm

6:45pm went smoothly. Very immersive, my only complaint was the sound being too strident, a typical Nolan trait. Hardly any dirt, and 100x superior to the 35mm version.

Also I didn’t see the vertical scratch that Tweeter was talking about.

thebrat commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 8, 2014 at 8:37 am

Ziegfeld is presenting Interstellar in 5/70 FILM.

thebrat commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 8, 2014 at 5:43 am

I hear from Twitter that one of the reels at Zig had a vertical scratch for a few minutes. Tonight will be interesting.

thebrat commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Someone on Yelp gave a poor review on Zig’s 70mm presentation of Interstellar. The sound was intermittently cut off. I am anxious because I am in NY and I will be going tonight for the 6:45pm show. Crossing my fingers.

thebrat commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 20, 2014 at 12:45 pm

CRAP! It looks like the Nov 8 6:45 pm showing is DIGITAL. I bought tickets for that show, and it looks like I have to trade the tickets for a 70mm showing or sell them. No way I’m going 250+ miles to see a crappy digital show on a 2K NEC projector, when I can see 35mm right in Fairfax.

But why is 35mm good when so-called “projectionists” these days scratch up the entire film?

15/70 would be nice if I didnt have to see black on most of the screen most of the time or hear it through Udvar-Hazy’s muddy sound system.

thebrat
thebrat commented about Sayrewoods Projection Room 1985 on Oct 12, 2014 at 5:18 am

Did studio color timing move to Xenon by 1985? I saw Labyrinth (1986) projected on Xenons and it had more of a bluish tint than the DVD or Blu. Was that film color-timed for Carbon Arcs?

thebrat
thebrat commented about Theater owners complain about Interstellar film release on Oct 12, 2014 at 5:10 am

I just hope for a TAP-style quality control for this release. Theaters in my area kept their or recently opened with 35mm projectors like Angelika Mosaic, AFI Silver and E Street Cinema.

thebrat commented about Movies at Montgomery Mall on Oct 8, 2014 at 7:28 pm

One of the screens at the new Arclight may have Dolby Atmos. There is a video of an auditorium in the new complex, and it looks like it has room for five stage speakers, extra front surrounds, and overheads. Here is the video, starts at the 9 minute mark.

thebrat commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 4, 2014 at 5:49 am

Where did you hear about the sound being 6-track mag? Give us your sources because those two links said the sound on 70mm prints is digital.

thebrat commented about Regal Countryside on Oct 3, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I hear once Regal opens up the Mall theater, this will close. If it does, one of my suggestions was Landmark renovating the theater, de-twinning some of the screens, so less screens more quality. I’ve always wanted a Landmark in NoVA.

thebrat commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm

It appears that Interstellar will be showing here in standard 70MM. I hope this isn’t another “The Master” in regards to surround sound.

Please, oh I beg please, Bow-Tie, do NOT fuck this up.

thebrat commented about Angelika Film Center on Aug 9, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Sound system is sort of a crapshoot here.

Chef in theater #3 sounded bland, but that had to do with the mix itself.

Snowpiercer in theater #1 was loud and chaotic, but clear.

Guardians of the Galaxy in theater #2 was quieter than Snowpiercer. The theater itself had a noise floor issue, it sounded like the HVAC was pretty audible, and this was throughout the entire film and ruined the quiet moments.

thebrat commented about AMC Essex Green on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Is screen #1 able to play back 7.1 movies? Plenty of 7.1 capable theaters like Alamo Drafthouse in Ashburn, VA do not appear on Dolby’s web site, so I am wondering if this is the case. I saw the latest Planet of the Apes on the aforementioned screen and the 3D was pretty bright and the sound was kicking loads of buttocks, literally. The bass was shaking my seat! I was wondering because the sound field was pretty robust. I think I saw two speakers on the back wall, the least amount needed to add 7.1. Just a general question, that’s all.

thebrat commented about Cinemark Towson and XD on Jul 27, 2014 at 8:15 pm

It looks like the XD screen is Auro-capable. I asked the manager on the phone if an Auro system was installed, he said it was ready, but it wasn’t configured yet. When I caught the XD matinee of Lucy today, the sound had some depth to it, more so than traditional 5.1. Given that Lucy was mixed in Auro 11.1, the 11.1 track played. I noticed an added dimension of height at some moments, perhaps because I was expecting 5.1 to be played back. So it could be Auro or my mind playing tricks.

Sound system on the XD screen was really dense and really good. Barco projection was bright although there was no proper masking as expected in XD. Show playlist was FirstLook preshow, XD logo, film trailers, movie.

thebrat commented about AMC Tysons Corner 16 on Jul 5, 2014 at 3:40 pm

A Michael Bay movie that doesn’t sound like trash?! Hersey!

thebrat commented about AFI Silver Theatre on May 17, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I initially came here today for ‘City Lights’, but due to unpredictable traffic I missed the show. So I decided to stay in Silver Spring for a while to exchange my ticket and got one for ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’, which I had already seen. It was a DCP showing in #3. There seemed to be some slight keystoning from left to right rather than bottom to top, the scope moments of the film really showed off the odd effect. This being a THX cinema, I thought that was a peculiar oversight.

On a side note, the THX trailer ‘Cavalcade’ preceded the film. I was disappointed by the Deep Note in this. I thought the rain effects, thunder and crashing were much more “wow” for me. But then the DLP trailer that preceded the previews had a much more assertive and immersing mix.

A thought: what if AFI Silver installed Dolby Atmos in the historic theater? Considering the echo chamber issues the auditorium is having recently, it will be completely hilarious but sad.

thebrat
thebrat commented about Connecticut could be first state to curb loud movies on Mar 16, 2014 at 11:05 am

This best not be happening. All movies in CT will sound like ‘Peabody’ in Auro!

thebrat commented about Cobb Village 12 on Mar 16, 2014 at 5:16 am

I have a solution for side-masked screens. Install 5 speakers behind the screen. The AFI Silver does this. Just route front left and right to the far left and right for scope, route the two to front left center and front right center for flat. Same goes for the height channels in Auro.

thebrat commented about Alamo Drafthouse One Loudoun on Mar 15, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I’ve gotten used to eating in the dark. The worst part is getting the check. Total distraction, but I do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

thebrat commented about Cobb Village 12 on Mar 15, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Hey, Giles. I too was pissed about “Mr. Peabody” not filling up the screen and I even thought the sound was off-putting. I have a theory that the left and right fronts were covered by the masking, as auditorium 11 uses side masking. For the record, Turbo was a better-sounding film, and Ender’s Game uses Auro to its advantage. Those films were in scope, filled up the screen, and very robust (aside from the rattle issue in Ender’s Game). Let’s hope Amazing Spider-Man 2 is better.

thebrat commented about Regal Fox Stadium 16 on Feb 8, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Have you ever went out of the theater for a refund once the film has started? That just happened to me today. Not only the place was packed with noisy kids, you could see the pixel grid, fluctuating noise, and muffled sound. Will Ferrell’s voice panning from center to front right noticed a signifcant drop in quality and intelligability. Any sound expert knows that the front stage speakers should have equality in tonality, projection and color. This place is a living joke and I chose it because shows for The Lego Movie were sold out in Alamo and Cobb.

thebrat
thebrat commented about Paramount does away with film on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:55 pm

It’s going to be grueling for cinemas still using 35mm.

thebrat commented about Empire Cinema on Nov 4, 2013 at 6:51 am

I’m starting to hate IMAX right now. I’ve always wanted to see a film in Empire 1 for its Dolby Atmos THX 56kw sound system, during a trip to the UK, and now I’ll never get the chance to do so. The IMPACT screen should resemble no more than an ETX or RPX screen here in the US, big screen without masking. :(

thebrat commented about Cobb Village 12 on Nov 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

This area now has 100% reserved seating, with no surcharge says Cobb Theaters. I did notice a $0.25 surcharge for my matinee ticket when I went to see ENDER’S GAME in auditorium #11. The film was presented in Auro 11.1, a premium sound format at a regular price in this theater. But the best thing about it compared to IMAX/RPX/ETX… There is MASKING! Very inventive use of the sounds, this actually takes advantage of the format more so than TURBO did. Just one complaint, there was a rattling effect during a large portion of the low-frequency moments. Annoying, but a pleasant experience. Auro 11.1 is nowhere near as good as Dolby Atmos.