Comments from Tim O'Neill

Tim O'Neill commented about Esquire Theatre on Feb 2, 2016 at 6:33 pm

GONE WITH THE WIND premiered simultaneously at the Woods and Oriental Theatres. Maybe GWTW played at the Esquire later in 1940; I’m not sure.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill commented about Circa 1943 photo courtesy of Philip Wizenick. on Jan 31, 2016 at 7:10 pm

February or March, 1944.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill commented about Ford Center for the Performing Arts Oriental Theatre on Jan 10, 2016 at 5:52 pm

I believe the actual closing date was Sunday, January 4, 1981.

Tim O'Neill commented about Loop Theater on Jan 9, 2016 at 1:47 am

STRAIGHT TIME is on TCM tonight. 12:30 a.m. central time. 1:30 a.m. eastern time.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill commented about Post 1980 photo credit Saul Smaizys. on Jan 5, 2016 at 8:16 pm

October, 1981.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill commented about Woods Theatre opening act photo. Image credit George Krejci.com on Oct 15, 2015 at 11:02 pm

You’re right, David. Maybe the building was completed in late 1917 but the theatre took a little longer to complete in early 1918.

Tim O'Neill commented about Lincoln Village 1-6 on Sep 26, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Paul Fortini: Brotman & Sherman operated the original LV; which would later get triplexed by Essaness Theatres. The LV 1-6 was build by CO.

Tim O'Neill commented about Adelphi Theater on Apr 6, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Tim O'Neill commented about McVickers Theater on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:38 pm

A 1984 article with some inaccuracies.

Tim O'Neill commented about United Artists Theatre on Dec 31, 2014 at 7:27 am

It turns out the United Artists was still in operation as of February, 1988. Here’s a newspaper ad from February 26, 1988. Cineplex Odeon pulled out of there , I believe, in late 1987 and Henry Plitt took it back briefly, if I’m not mistaken.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill commented about Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place on Jul 17, 2014 at 8:17 am

The Water Tower 1-4 closed in May, 2000. The Water Tower 5-7 closed in November, 2000. Village Entertainment re-opened the 5-7 theatres in August, 2002. Closed one year later.

Tim O'Neill commented about Webster Place Theaters on Jun 29, 2014 at 12:58 am

I wanted to correct something in the “previous operator” section of this overview. Cineplex Odeon never operated the Webster Place Theatres. In order, since 1988: M&R Amusement Companies; M&R Loews; Loews; Sony; Loews Cineplex; AMC Loews; Kerasotes; Regal.

Tim O'Neill commented about Webster Place Theaters on Jun 29, 2014 at 12:53 am

Webster Place Theatres now have recliner seats. See photo in photo section.

Tim O'Neill commented about Capitol Theatre on May 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I did a little newspaper research. The Capitol Theatre closed in 1974.

Tim O'Neill commented about Nickelodeon on Apr 17, 2014 at 6:24 am

Kenneth Kwilinski; Do you know if this theatre projects the silent films in 16mm or digital projection? I went to this theatre in 1976 and I’m quite certain it was 16mm back then. I have a feeling it’s digital today. Do you know how silent movies are projected in this little theatre?

Tim O'Neill commented about Music Box Theatre on Feb 17, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Main auditorium: 2 Century JJs (35mm/70mm). NEC digital projector. 16mm Eastman projector. Small auditorium (Theatre 2): Barco digital projector. Two 35mm projectors recently installed. I don’t know what kind; I will try to find that out and post info later.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill commented about Studebaker Theater & Playhouse Theater on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:20 am

Bravo!!! One thing I noticed; you mention the small theatre was renamed the Fine Arts in 1908 and then you mention that the small theatre was renamed the Fine Arts in 1912. Is this an error in naming of the smaller theater?

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill commented about Studebaker Theater & Playhouse Theater on Jan 14, 2014 at 5:13 am

We’re not not “bitching” about bad writing; we’re mentioning the fact that the description has way too many historical inaccuracies. For an excellent piece of writing on the history of the Fine Arts Theatres, and other Downtown Chicago movie houses, pick up a copy of “Downtown Chicago’s Historic Movie Theatres”, by Konrad Schiecke. I couldn’t have written it better myself.

Tim O'Neill commented about Wilson Avenue Theater on Jan 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm

storefrontcinema: Let me know where I can send my resume.

Tim O'Neill commented about Bogie's Last Film. on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

KNOCK ON ANY DOOR is abosolutely NOT Humphrey Bogart’s last movie. This photo was taken in 1949. Bogie’s last movie was THE HARDER THEY FALL (1956).

Tim O'Neill commented about Cinema Theater on Nov 21, 2013 at 4:56 am

I was THEEEE last usher to work there in 1981. The last movie was ATLANTIC CITY. The very last shot was a building being torn down. That’s exactly what happened a couple of days later.

Tim O'Neill commented about Bryn Mawr Theatre on Nov 10, 2013 at 11:08 am

The Adelphi did not close in the 1980s. It closed around 2002 and got torn down in 2006.

Tim O'Neill commented about Art Theatre on Nov 4, 2013 at 9:24 am

Yes; the Art has digital.

Tim O'Neill commented about Village Art Theatre on Oct 30, 2013 at 8:26 pm

David; I “blue”-highlight the link. Copy it. Go to my e-mail. Press “Compose”. Paste link to my e-mail in the area in which I type up a letter. Send pasted link to myself. Click on link.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill commented about Studebaker Theater & Playhouse Theater on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:43 am

I worked at the M&R Fine Arts Theatre 30 years ago. I wish somebody would re-open these 2 historic late 19th Century theatres.