Comments from Chris Utley

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Cinema Treasures and THS Announce New Strategic Partnership on Dec 10, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Very good!

Chris Utley commented about Blog Hiatus on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:18 pm
  1. I deleted many of my (argumentative) comments since they added no merit to the actual theatre pages. I’m much too old for pissing contests.

2. Blog was always a good space to get the latest heads-up on theatres across the nation. Hate to see it go.

Chris Utley commented about AMC Marina Marketplace 6 on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:06 am

This theatre is reopened and renamed AMC Marina Marketplace 6. It reopened on 10/10 and is still 6 screens. The auditorium sizes are from 217 to 89. The seats are all leather rockers (non-reclining) and the concessions are mid-range (Mozzarella Sticks & Chicken Tenders along with the popcorn).

I’m inside the largest auditorium as I type this. Pretty nice!

Chris Utley commented about Esquire Theater on Oct 19, 2014 at 12:34 am

Joe: The 2 upstairs screening rooms are 63 seats according to the article.

Chris Utley commented about Esquire Theater on Oct 17, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Wow. The room where I saw Jedi, Superman II, and Die Hard in 70MM is now only 270 seats. Just…wow!

Chris Utley commented about Esquire Theater on Oct 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Take tons of pics & post ‘em when they reopen! God only knows when I’ll get back home to see the redo for myself!

Chris Utley commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Sep 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm

They need to do it in the adjacent building next door (the one where all the auditoriums are on the lower level). The big house in there is an easy fit for an IMAX conversion.

Chris Utley commented about National Theatre on Jun 29, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Looks like they’re building apartments or offices on the lot where this theatre once was.

Chris Utley commented about Regency Village Theatre on Jun 29, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Dolby Atmos is now running in this theatre – alongside THX. And BOY OH BOY does it rumble in there. FANTASTIC sound!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Cinemark 18 and XD Los Angeles on Jun 27, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Wow…that is ONE GNARLY SOUND SYSTEM! Very impressed with this XD room! Surely all the XD’s aren’t this good!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Cinemark 18 and XD Los Angeles on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I am sitting inside the XD auditorium as I type this. In a nutshell, it’s the same IMAX screen with updated decor. Better seats, snazzier side paneling, in line with Cinemark’s color scheme. They’re running Barco’s Aura 11.1 sound. I’ll report on how it sounds when the movie’s done. So far, pretty good.

Chris Utley commented about Esquire Theater on Jun 24, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I live in LA – so no I haven’t driven by there! Wow…one of the last links to my childhood in St L is gone now, I guess.

Chris Utley commented about Esquire Theater on May 28, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Theatre is currently closed for renovations.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Brenden Theatres Las Vegas 14 & IMAX at the Palms Casino Resort on May 26, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Sigh…

Chris Utley commented about West Wind Drive-In on May 14, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Goofy rename (no offense, Scott!).

Chris Utley commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Mark: They’ve been double booking ArcLight & Chinese since “Gravity” opened. Surreal, I know.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Hot Tub Cinema coming to NY on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Gonna be difficult to focus on the movie due to…DDistractions. :)

Chris Utley commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I stopped buying the LA Times a couple of years ago. The legendary Calendar section is a pale imitation of its former self. I now get my showtimes and whatnot via the internet like everyone else.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Paramount Drive-In Theatres on Apr 26, 2014 at 5:35 pm

7 days a week. All the LA accessible D/I’s run 7 days a week.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Paramount Drive-In Theatres on Apr 26, 2014 at 9:58 am

First time visit was last night (where I was welcomed with a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR in the middle of the flick!). Considerably smaller than the other 4 LA area accessible D/I’s, but clean, well staffed and yummy popcorn. Digital projection is nice and bright and no static interference from the FM radio sound.

Once more folks realize that this spot has reopened, it’s going to be a MONSTER! Heck, with a little reconstruction of their surrounding perimeter walls, they can fit another screen! Maybe 2 more!

Chris Utley commented about iPIC Westwood on Apr 26, 2014 at 9:55 am

Showtimes indicate that this is their soft opening.

Please update the theatre name w/the new info. As Brad said, it’s now named iPIC Westwood.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Paramount Drive-In Theatres on Apr 13, 2014 at 9:09 pm

(Re)Opening Day: Friday April 18, 2014. They announced it today on their FB page.

Chris Utley commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm

It’s Mann Theatres that is extinct, not Pacific.

Chris Utley commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 12, 2014 at 4:14 pm

That makes sense since ArcLight books them.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley commented about Paramount Drive-In Theatres on Apr 10, 2014 at 10:11 am

Screens are up! Facebook page is up! Website is up! Looks like they’re going with the name Paramount Drive-In Theatres. Still no official opening date, but their Facebook page indicates that they will announce that in a week or so.

Website: http://www.paramountdrivein.com/

Their FB page has pictures of the screens and a local news report showing the screens being mounted on the site. Pretty spiffy!