Comments from Whoman Jim

Showing 8 comments

Whoman Jim
Whoman Jim commented about Tilton 9 Theatre on May 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm

BILL!!!!! It’s Jim Perry – I’m on Facebook, under the “nom de plummage” ya see here. Drop me a line there. GOOD TO SEE YA!

Cheers.

Whoman Jim
Whoman Jim commented about "2001: A Space Odyssey" 45th Anniversary – The Cinerama Engagements on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I helped Mr. Coate in regards to info on the Las Vegas Cinerama engagement(s) – there were 2 – the original First Run “Roadshow”, and the ‘74 re-release / re-issue.

Well Done, Mike!

Whoman Jim
Whoman Jim commented about Tilton 9 Theatre on Dec 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Just wondering – does anybody know what happened to Bill Murray – NO – NOT the actor, but the manager of the Tilton?? I’m guessing that when the Franks took over the theatre, Bill decided to go bye-bye…..

Whoman Jim
Whoman Jim commented about Regal Huntingdon Valley 14 on Dec 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm

P.S.– To John Abramson – If I’m not mistaken, Regal opened this up in ‘93 (not '91) & not long before they ran “The Fugitive” – when I went to see that, the place, itself, still had that “New Theatre Smell” to it!!! lol But I also seem to remember Regal also posting ads, announcing its grand opening, in the Philly newspapers as well.

Whoman Jim
Whoman Jim commented about Regal Huntingdon Valley 14 on Dec 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I used to live on the East Coast & in So. “Joisey” (Alantic City area). In ‘91, I became the first chief projectionist for the UA Riverview 11 in So. Philly (my understanding is that they’ve since added more screens). In '93, the Huntingdon Valley was the first theatre to install Dolby Digital (UA installed DTS at my theatre, instead), so on a couple of occasions, I drove all the way up there to see both “The Fugitive” and “Demolition Man” in that format (and as for the latter film, I ran that film at my theatre,too!). I have to say that on those 2 occasions,not only was I impressed with the sound but with the presentations as well. (And for the record, both were shown in the big houses – not the small ones.) I’m sorry to read what happened to the theatre – but honestly, not really surprised either.

Whoman Jim
Whoman Jim commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part 45: Las Vegas) on Feb 24, 2010 at 10:08 am

Glenda – are you referring to the Loew’s Cinerama in N.Y.C.?
If so, you might wanna post yer question in the N.Y.C. thread,
since this one is about Las Vegas engagements.
Also, if yer still based in N.Y.C. (or any other major city for that matter), yer best bet would be to go to your local library (main branch) as they may have the N.Y. Times newspaper recorded on microfilm.

Whoman Jim
Whoman Jim commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part 45: Las Vegas) on Dec 30, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Hi – this is Jim Perry writing this reply.
Will try to answer some questions here, but be forewarned – what I’m about to write is either speculation or fact, so please bear with me on this, ok?
First up, I’m a Vegas native & have fond memories of the Cinerama theatre itself.
Unfortunately, when it comes to this particular list, I didn’t see any of these engagements – mostly because I was WAY too young (for the record, I was born on June 13, 1962, so nada on “Circus World” thru “Krakatoa”).
And as for the re-issues of
“This Is Cinerama” & “2001” – let’s just say missed opportunities with these.

To Colbalt:
It depends on 2 things – how the films were shot, format-wise, and how they were presented at the theatre.
As pointed out, all the films listed above were shown in 70mm……
BUT to clarify things more clearly, here’s the list again – only this time with both their format & aspect ratio info.

Circus World:

Super Panavision – 2.20:1

Ice Station Zebra:
Super Panavision – 2.20:1

Krakatoa, East Of Java:
Super Panavision & Todd-AO – 2.20:1

This Is CINERAMA (Re-Release):
Not sure at this writing, but probably 2.20:1.

My guess is that the ones shown at 2.20:1 used the whole screen & the ones shown at 2.76:1 used most of it (a small portion of the top of the screen wasn’t used).

For the record, the theatre also had some 70mm engagements that were not promoted as “Cinerama” presentations
(and, thus, weren’t listed above) including “My Fair Lady”, “Dr. Zhivago” and
“Gone With The Wind” (all 2.20:1).

As for 35mm presentations, a no-brainer that the whole screen wasn’t used, but I believe the theatre presented films in their correct aspect ratios:
Flat (Spherical) -
1.37:1 (“Fantasia” for example), 1.66:1 or 1.85:1, and Scope – 2.35:1 & maybe 2.55:1. (“The King & I” for a possible rare example on the latter – the theatre had a re-issue engagement in 1966, before showing “Khartoum”).

To Ron Newman:
I take it ya haven’t seen Mike’s list for New Haven yet?? lol!!!
All kidding aside, by the time the theatre did open up, the original Cinerama 3-strip process had been abandoned & switched to 70mm by 2/3 years
(hence no Vegas 3-strip engagements).

And to Terry Wade:
Yes, it became a church.
After the Cinerama’s final engagement
(Clint Eastwood’s 3rd ‘Dirty Harry’ flick, “The Enforcer” – Dec. 22, ‘76 thru Jan. 26, '77), the theatre was renamed The Las Vegas CEN†ERAMA (yep – with the ’t’ resembling a cross!).
Still ran movies, mostly of the religious kind – first in 35mm (still had those original 70/35mm projectors up in the booth – “Ten Commandments”,
a double-bill of “David and Bathsheba” & “The Cross and the Switchblade”, to name a couple), then switched to 16mm
(“pan & scan” versions of “Born Free” and ‘a return engagement’ of “Greatist Story etc.” to name 2 more).

Not sure how long the church organization ran the place, but by ‘83 they were already gone & the building was empty.
Also, by this time, I was working at the Huntridge (twin) theatre, and the guy who ran that (along with the Mountain View 3) was thinking of getting his hands on the Cinerama & re-opening it – unfortunately,
whoever owned the property wasn’t interested (supposedly using an excuse to charge WAY TOO MUCH moola for rent), so there went that idea.
Sadly, the theatre finally met the wrecking ball not too long afterwards ('84??).

In regards to the “Windjammer” listing above, a clarification here.
The following ad for the Nevada Drive-In appeared in both LV Review-Journal and Sun newspapers on November 4, 1958, which said:

“Tonight! We are Testing equipment for the new movie "Miracle!"
A "CINEMIRACLE” FEATURE PICTURE “THE WINDJAMMER STORY"
IT WILL THRILL LAS VEGAS SOON!”

As of this writing, it’s unknown exactly what took place that night, as far as “testing” went (no follow-up info, ads, etc.), but whatever the case, the film never got shown at the drive-in
(or any other Vegas theatres, at the time, for that matter).
Because Cinemiracle was basically a Cinerama “clone”, my guess is that the Nevada was, more than likely, deemed “unsuitable” to play the film there, at least for a couple of reasons:
{A.} Lack of a curved screen
(the drive-in’s original one was flat as a board – no good for a “Windjammer” presentation, in other words), and
{B.} A dinky projection booth that couldn’t accomodate all the equipment used for said presentation
(they would’ve had to build a new one).

Cheers!

Whoman Jim
Whoman Jim on Dec 22, 2009 at 8:56 am

No, because this theatre/drive-in never existed in the first place (same with the address) – this “lolo” person who submitted this entry is full of crap!