Comments from whtesoxfan56

whtesoxfan56 commented about Night photo of marquee on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:33 pm

What year was this pic from? Great shot, though I take it that it’s from a short video of various older theaters?

whtesoxfan56 commented about Dunes Cinema 1 & 2 on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Funny you mentioned The End of Dark Star(and am prfsnlwannabe on flickr, btw), since I know I saw what looked like a preview clip with the opening classic GCC 1977(or 1980?) preview and feature presentation clips. It was still upstairs on the floor, when I revisited this theater yesterday for the first time in 2 years.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Balboa Theatre on Nov 29, 2014 at 9:37 am

That marquee, and the theater building look so beautiful!

whtesoxfan56 commented about New Regal Theatre on Nov 29, 2014 at 12:10 am

Anyway, my album of Open House Chicago 2014 pics. Not all pics are up yet(Saturday stuff is except for one pic, as of now the only things I’ve uploaded so far. a lot, lot more to come….), and the Regal Theater pics are towards the end of the album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/prfsnlwannabe/sets/72157647007243464

whtesoxfan56 commented about Patio Theatre on Nov 28, 2014 at 4:50 am

I sure hope the heating and A/C issue is tackled, at some point. It’s too bad Kouvalis didn’t take up Cullerton’s(and the city of Chicago’s) grant offer to fix the A/C system, when it was offered. I wonder if his successor, will try to help the new owner(s) get that resolved, if they request that grant again?

whtesoxfan56 commented about River Oaks Theater 4 on Nov 22, 2014 at 8:11 pm

This stood, at least as of June 2013. I keep in close touch with a few friends in the south suburbs, and I know they would’ve informed me immediately, if demolition ever occurred here. I still have a bad feeling it’ll be torn down, one of these days.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Dunes 1,2,3 Theatre on Nov 21, 2014 at 4:02 am

Oooh, this was torn down? That’s too bad, I didn’t realize that at all. I wonder what future plans for this site, will be?

whtesoxfan56 commented about Patio Theatre on Nov 21, 2014 at 3:55 am

Good news about the Patio that broke today: it’s going to reopen, under a leasing agreement by the same group of people who run the Portage. I’m a little skeptical of Carranza, but at least there haven’t been any probs with the Portage, since it reopened in June of this year, so a yay for me for now, on hearing this news. I still hope to have my Patio projection booth pics added to my Flickr album I linked to one post above, at some point very soon.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Uptown theatre on Nov 19, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Wow! It’s too bad the Lawrence/Broadway area doesn’t have the neon sign charm, it used to a half century ago. Green Mill aside….

whtesoxfan56 commented about Uptown Theater on Nov 19, 2014 at 8:29 pm

So are all the Transformers(2014? I’ve lost count of the # of Transformers movies Bay has done, since I don’t care about them for the most part, since calling it quits to this series after Transformers 2) Uptown Theater scenes, only at the beginning of the film, and there aren’t any later in the plot? Interesting to know, since I’d still like to catch this movie on cable at some point, and just watch the Uptown Theater scenes outta minor curiosity.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Illini Theatre on Nov 19, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Wow, I’d oddly never realized this used to be a theater years ago, when I was last in Bloomington(sometime during my brief Illinois State University days in the mid-2000s). Guess I should’ve guessed that, based on the exterior.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Castle Theatre on Nov 19, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Wow, I remember the renovation of this theater occurring and that it only had just reopened, back in my brief Illinois State University days in the mid-2000s! Also recall reading about the church that had started to use the Castle, after I sadly(due to grades) was forced to drop out of Illinois State. Great to hear it’s being used as a music venue, as of now.

whtesoxfan56 commented about 49'er Drive-in on Nov 19, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Wow, I had oddly almost forgotten about the incident of a thunderstorm(or high wind day, or whatever. I wonder why….), knocking down this screen. Sad pic to see, I hope they got this repaired since. And probably did, since I see it was 3 years ago as of now….

whtesoxfan56 commented about River Oaks 6 on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:59 pm

The odd thing was that when I visited the mall in June 2013, the marquee was still up. The mall entrance just to the left of this theater is now locked up post 1-6 theater demolition, as well. You oddly can still walk right up to where this theater was, or at least could as of June of that year. Not sure what it’s like now, since I hadn’t revisited in almost 11/2 years.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Esquire Theater on Nov 6, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Is this inside the theater, or say in the lobby or one of the hallways just outside the doors into the theater? I love this backlit decoration, so much!

whtesoxfan56 commented about New Regal Theatre on Nov 6, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Just looked up Circus World, and I see this movie came out in 1964. Such a great shot of a black and white pic.

whtesoxfan56
whtesoxfan56 commented about Avalon Theatre, Chicago IL (1926 artwork) on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:59 pm

WOW, this is so awesome!!! I sure hope this theater can be renovated and saved in time, and that it doesn’t end up being demolished.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Palace Theatre on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Gosh darnit, when I see pics like that 1928 one you posted a link to, Joe Vogel. Makes me sad that I have a strong gut feeling, that this theater will more than likely never be saved, especially considering it closed in 1972. :( At least the New Regal(nee Avalon) Theater 20 miles west on the southeast side of Chicago, might have a small chance of being saved and brought back to life. crossing fingers

whtesoxfan56 commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I never thought about that issue CSWalczak, but I bet you’re right that AMC put that in their leasing clause, as a condition of sale of this property. As for this theater, it’d be nice if Classic Cinemas were to bring this theater back to life, but who knows. They interestingly did take a chance and brought North Riverside Mall 6 back to life, despite the Kerasotes/AMC 14 theater a few miles east in Cicero.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Argmore Theatre on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Heck yes davidplomin, I agree that’d be another good one to see! Especially since I remember as a kid, seeing that theater abandoned for years and years. Dunno if I ever saw one movie there as a kid(was born in 82), before whenever it closed in the 1980s.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Patio Theatre on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I never knew about Ald. Cullerton even going as far as trying to help the owner get a city grant to fix the air conditioning system, and he rejected it still? WTFH, really? That’s really sad to hear, thanks for mentioning that unfortunate bit of news GFeret. I remember hearing that sad bit of news, about the owner putting the theater up for sale as well. Makes me real disappointed, especially since I WAS one of the many who contributed to the Kickstarter project for this theater to get a digital projector. Really wish the owner had used Kickstarter, to fundraise enough money to completely fix the heating and A/C issues, even if it would’ve taken a total overhaul to successfully do.

Anyway, enjoy my album of Patio Theater pics, with a final update coming soon that I haven’t uploaded yet(projection booth pics): https://www.flickr.com/photos/prfsnlwannabe/sets/72157632194833202/

whtesoxfan56 commented about New Regal Theatre on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Very cool. The logo of the New Regal Theater is more similar to the Avalon Theater’s logo(when it opened), than I thought!

whtesoxfan56 commented about New Regal Theatre on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I visited this theater on the Saturday of the Open House Chicago weekend, and was the last person to come in to visit that day, plus to leave when they locked it up that day. Dunno if you got lucky BobbyS, but it was a challenge to shoot pics in the auditorium IMO, due to the fact some of the lights that are supposed to illuminate the theater were sadly not on. I couldn’t even get one smart phone shot off on my phone inside the auditorium, and only could get phone shots off in the lobby. Also unfortunately, the balcony wasn’t open either.

But it was a very enjoyable visit, and I hope the new owner is able to reopen this theater at some point, even if not by fall 2015(guy locking the theater up for the day when I left, said that was the goal of the new owner). For myself, it was my first visit here in over 20 years(once did a school field trip here to see something(can’t remember what), back in the early 90s), and I really hope so darn much this theater doesn’t face the same decaying fate as the Palace Theater(another John Eberson theater) in Gary where it becomes nearly impossible to save, 20 miles east.

whtesoxfan56 commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Yeah, same here. In a way, I’m not surprised it finally closed, since it was hemmoraging in its attendance for years. Muvico especially put a nail into the coffin(when it came to its attendance), as well as the opening of newer theaters in surrounding areas in recent years(i.e. Showplace 12(Golf Mill) in Niles, etc.).

The last several times I saw a movie here in recent years(and as recently as December 2011, primarily since it was the only theater it was playing at), I always got the impression AMC put next to no investment into this theater, vs. other ones they own(i.e. Village Crossing 18 in Skokie). I must say that I always got the impression the last few times I saw a movie here that if a company other than AMC owned Norridge(and threw some money to improve it, a la when Kerasotes renovated Webster Place), that it would’ve really helped things a lot. If this theater ever were to reopen(and I really doubt it, especially with the digital projection deadline being December 2012), I couldn’t see it being viable except as a 2nd-run theater.

whtesoxfan56 commented about Sanders Theatre on Jan 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm

To answer lostmemory’s question, yes this is the Fountain Square neighborhood of Indianapolis. Too bad there aren’t any interior photos of this theater, that have been uploaded.