Comments from WTKFLHN

WTKFLHN commented about Uptown Theater on Jan 13, 2016 at 3:19 pm

A friend of mine, Jack S. Who at one time was the assistant mgr of the Uptown and was mgr of the Apollo before it closed for the last time, told me the last time he was in the Uptown was during that 50 cent era. He said it was in bad shape. The floors were sticky from spilled drinks and just wasn’t clean. It upset him to see it like that and he never went back.

WTKFLHN commented about Orpheum Theatre on Sep 10, 2015 at 10:58 am

Yes. The Orpheum is now open. Thanks to the folks at Tipitina’s

WTKFLHN commented about Vista Theatre on Sep 9, 2015 at 11:05 am

I remember when I was working for Fox Midwest in the mid to late 1950’s, the manager of the Vista and the Gladstone was Jess Spain.

WTKFLHN commented about Oak Park Theatre on Sep 9, 2015 at 10:52 am

I remember going to the Oak Park on many occasions as a child in the the late 40’s and early 50’s. It typically showed a double feature. My brother and my folks went on one Saturday and came in during one of the features. We stayed until we came to the place in the movie where we came in. I remember the seats in the theatre being the old wooden seats probably made during WWII or earlier. They weren’t the spring loaded type that come up when you stand up. My dad was leading the way out and still looking at the screen instead or where he was going. The seat on the aisle was down, and my dad stumbled and fell over it and broke a rib.

WTKFLHN commented about Joy's Panorama on Sep 7, 2015 at 11:45 am

I can remember seeing one of the worst movies ever made at the Panorama. I think the name of it was “Candy”. That movie looked like they had swept up the cutting room floor, spliced it together and sent it out and called it a movie. There was no plot, no story, no nothing. You kept thinking that something was going to happen that would make all make sense. But nothing ever did. I talked to friend whoa had seen it, too. And he had the same impression.

WTKFLHN
WTKFLHN commented about Loews Valenica Movie Palace, now the Tabernacle of Prayer Church, hosted a rare tour this summer. on Sep 4, 2015 at 10:41 am

Wow! What a gorgeous theater!

WTKFLHN commented about Carrollton Theater on Feb 17, 2015 at 11:44 am

Th Carrollton operated as a revival house in the 1970’s. I can remember taking my wife to see “the Harvey Girls”, and “The Toast of New Orleans” with Mario Lanza back then. This was before the advent of cable tv.

WTKFLHN commented about Orpheum Theater interior on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:19 am

I remember going to see the Robe there in 1954 and siting in one of those loge seats with my younger brother.

WTKFLHN commented about Orpheum Theater interior on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:16 am

what a crime that this magnificent theater is gone.

WTKFLHN commented about Fox Tower Theater on Sep 25, 2014 at 9:59 am

Hey Joe, Thanks for the link to the map. It is very interesting.

Don H

WTKFLHN commented about Uptown Theater on Aug 27, 2014 at 10:42 am

Although I don’t live in KC anymore, I was happy to catch some glimpses of the remodeled Uptown when President Obama made a speech on his recent trip to KC. It looks Great! My compliments to Larry Sell and his efforts to keep this beautiful theater in good shape.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 26, 2014 at 10:31 am

By the way. I live in New Orleans, now. So be looking for a 504 area code.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 26, 2014 at 10:30 am

Mike. I’ll do that, I promise. When is the best time to call?

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 25, 2014 at 11:32 am

Mike. Where was the Capri Theatre you mention? I think I’ve heard of it, but I don’t find in KC listings here.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 25, 2014 at 11:23 am

Mike. Did you ever work at the Plaza? The was a man with your last name there. He was an assistant mgr. But he left before I got there. I have heard his name mentioned. But I don’t know his first name.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 24, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Mike. You were talking about the sound system at the Plaza. I recall working there in 1956, when the film “Forbidden Planet” was playing. Back then, new shows started on Wednesdays and closed the following Tuesday.Well “Forbidden Planet” had one of the most stunning 4 track stereo soundtracks I’ve ever heard. On the Wednesday night show, it would knock your socks off. On Thursday, not so much. A lowly usher wouldn’t dream of going up to the projection booth to complain. So, I told my boss, the assistant mgr. He listens and says. “sounds OK to me”. So, I jumped about on Friday and he said the same think. On Saturday, he finally gave in and went up to the projection booth. The projectionist went to a relay rack, open the door and looked inside. He says, “Don’s right. there are 2 amps out. Will call RCA service co and get them out here Monday”. Monday night and Tuesday the movie sounded AWESOME again.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 24, 2014 at 1:20 pm

South Pacific did indeed play at the Tower in ToddAO. The mgr at the time was Roy Hill, I think it probably ray for about a year or so. I know I saw “South Pacific” at the Tower when I was still working at the Plaza. It took me quite a while to get a pass to see it, even on a matinees. KCBE, the Disney movies you saw at the Esquire, may have been because the Esquire was in the FOX Midwest 1st run unit, with Uptown, Fairway and later, the Granada. If for some reason the Tower wasn’t running in the unit, the Esquire would be open and in the 1st run Fox unit. Disney movies always played 1st run at Fox. And they were Golden. Always a sell out on weekend matinees, especially. I can remember working at the Fairway, having the theatre sold out, and a double line from the box office, all the way to the back of the theatre in the parking lot and back out to the street. Those were the days.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 22, 2014 at 10:55 am

Not that it matters much at this late date, but the Esquire didn’t get very good movies to show on that last 4 week run before we finally closed. “The Wreck of The Mary Deere”, for example. (Really ?) Also we had a hefty union payroll. For the life of me, I can’t figure why they needed a full time stage hand. There wasn’t any stage at the Esquire, No curtain, no movable masking. If we had been allowed to operate that theatre like they do today, I think we would have been there a lot longer that 4 weeks.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Paramount Theatre on Aug 22, 2014 at 10:40 am

I can remember as a child, being downtown with mom, standing on the east side of Main street, watching them take down the Newman Theatre sign, and starting to put up the Paramount sign.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Fine Arts Theatre on Aug 6, 2014 at 11:24 am

A lady I’m proud to call a friend, who worked in the theater business until a few years ago, got her start in the business at age 16, in the box office at the Fine Arts in 1941. She has work in New Orleans area theaters all her life. She retired from the box office at the AMC Clearview.

WTKFLHN commented about Prytania Theater on Aug 6, 2014 at 11:13 am

By the way, The Prytania was the first theater to open after Katrina hit. And the only show in town for some time afterward.

WTKFLHN commented about Prytania Theater on Aug 6, 2014 at 11:11 am

In response to tinydr’s comment on Mr Brunet’s age, I wouldn’t worry to much about the Prytania’s future. He has his son in the business with him, and I think as long as they can make a profit there, the show will go on.

WTKFLHN commented about Uptown Square Cinema on Aug 6, 2014 at 11:03 am

I believe this theater had 4 screens. It may have been operated by General Cinemas, if I recall correctly.

WTKFLHN commented about Jeff Theatre on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:58 am

Someone working in the feed store, had told me the name of the theater and that it closed in 1950. The marquee aside, the front doors and the lobby are pretty much intact today. You can tell just being inside that “once upon a time”….

WTKFLHN commented about Aereon Theatre on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:13 am

Well, earlier this year, or late last year, CVS moved the drug store to Houma blvd and Airline drive. So, the location now sits empty. Wouldn’t it be nice if they would give back our theatre?