Comments from WTKFLHN

WTKFLHN commented about Isis Theater on Sep 22, 2017 at 1:57 pm

When I was working in the theater business, in the 1950’s, the ISIS was a 28 day sub-run house, meaning that like the Plaza, the Oak Park and the Waldo, the played a double feature of films 28 days after the left the 1st run, mainly downtown theaters. And it was part of the Fox Midwest chain.

WTKFLHN commented about Apollo Theatre on Sep 20, 2017 at 2:05 pm

The Apollo was part of the FOX Midwest chain until it closed. I remember going to see “The 10 Commandments” there when it was a roadshow engagement.

WTKFLHN commented about Community Drive-In on Aug 3, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Not much on who operated this Drive-in. But in 1960-61 era, I was living in Topeka. I think this Drive-in was taken over by Fox Midwest. At about that time, the got some relief from the consent decree they were living under since the mid-1940’s and were allowed to add some drive-ins. They had one in Johnson county Kansas and I think this one. I work there briefly as assistant concession stand mgr.

WTKFLHN commented about Isis Theater on Jul 25, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Although we no longer lived in the neighborhood, my folks would take us to the movies at the ISIS. I remember in the 1940’s winter time, that that corner of 31st & Troost was the coldest place in all KC.

WTKFLHN commented about Bagdad Theatre on Jul 25, 2017 at 1:43 pm

KCB3. I don’t remember it being called anything but the “Bagdad”. We livv3d in a apartment at 27th and Forrest in the early 1940’s and my folks used to go there.

WTKFLHN commented about Lincoln Theatre on Jul 25, 2017 at 1:30 pm

This theater was also operated by Fox Midwest for Black patrons in 1940’s and 50’s

WTKFLHN commented about Airline Drive-In on Jun 2, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Hey Frank G, Great story!

WTKFLHN commented about Plaza Theater on Mar 16, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Hey KCB3. I hope that that comes to fruition.

WTKFLHN commented about Plaza Theater on Jul 11, 2016 at 2:53 pm

aeast. They had a fountain in the middle of the lobby. It was removed when the expanded the concession stand. The wishing well/drinking fountain you are thinking of was in the lounge, downstairs. I don’t recall it being removed was the building was still a theatre.

WTKFLHN commented about Uptown Theater on Jan 13, 2016 at 5:19 pm

A friend of mine, Jack S. Who at one time was the assistant mgr of the Uptown and was mgr of the Apollo before it closed for the last time, told me the last time he was in the Uptown was during that 50 cent era. He said it was in bad shape. The floors were sticky from spilled drinks and just wasn’t clean. It upset him to see it like that and he never went back.

WTKFLHN commented about Orpheum Theatre on Sep 10, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Yes. The Orpheum is now open. Thanks to the folks at Tipitina’s

WTKFLHN commented about Vista Theatre on Sep 9, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I remember when I was working for Fox Midwest in the mid to late 1950’s, the manager of the Vista and the Gladstone was Jess Spain.

WTKFLHN commented about Oak Park Theatre on Sep 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I remember going to the Oak Park on many occasions as a child in the the late 40’s and early 50’s. It typically showed a double feature. My brother and my folks went on one Saturday and came in during one of the features. We stayed until we came to the place in the movie where we came in. I remember the seats in the theatre being the old wooden seats probably made during WWII or earlier. They weren’t the spring loaded type that come up when you stand up. My dad was leading the way out and still looking at the screen instead or where he was going. The seat on the aisle was down, and my dad stumbled and fell over it and broke a rib.

WTKFLHN commented about Joy's Panorama on Sep 7, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I can remember seeing one of the worst movies ever made at the Panorama. I think the name of it was “Candy”. That movie looked like they had swept up the cutting room floor, spliced it together and sent it out and called it a movie. There was no plot, no story, no nothing. You kept thinking that something was going to happen that would make all make sense. But nothing ever did. I talked to friend whoa had seen it, too. And he had the same impression.

WTKFLHN
WTKFLHN commented about Loews Valencia Movie Palace, now the Tabernacle of Prayer Church, hosted a rare tour this summer. on Sep 4, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Wow! What a gorgeous theater!

WTKFLHN commented about Carrollton Theater on Feb 17, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Th Carrollton operated as a revival house in the 1970’s. I can remember taking my wife to see “the Harvey Girls”, and “The Toast of New Orleans” with Mario Lanza back then. This was before the advent of cable tv.

WTKFLHN commented about Orpheum Theater interior on Oct 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I remember going to see the Robe there in 1954 and siting in one of those loge seats with my younger brother.

WTKFLHN commented about Orpheum Theater interior on Oct 1, 2014 at 1:16 pm

what a crime that this magnificent theater is gone.

WTKFLHN commented about Fox Tower Theater on Sep 25, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Hey Joe, Thanks for the link to the map. It is very interesting.

Don H

WTKFLHN commented about Uptown Theater on Aug 27, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Although I don’t live in KC anymore, I was happy to catch some glimpses of the remodeled Uptown when President Obama made a speech on his recent trip to KC. It looks Great! My compliments to Larry Sell and his efforts to keep this beautiful theater in good shape.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 26, 2014 at 1:31 pm

By the way. I live in New Orleans, now. So be looking for a 504 area code.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 26, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Mike. I’ll do that, I promise. When is the best time to call?

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 25, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Mike. Where was the Capri Theatre you mention? I think I’ve heard of it, but I don’t find in KC listings here.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 25, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Mike. Did you ever work at the Plaza? The was a man with your last name there. He was an assistant mgr. But he left before I got there. I have heard his name mentioned. But I don’t know his first name.

Don H.

WTKFLHN commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Mike. You were talking about the sound system at the Plaza. I recall working there in 1956, when the film “Forbidden Planet” was playing. Back then, new shows started on Wednesdays and closed the following Tuesday.Well “Forbidden Planet” had one of the most stunning 4 track stereo soundtracks I’ve ever heard. On the Wednesday night show, it would knock your socks off. On Thursday, not so much. A lowly usher wouldn’t dream of going up to the projection booth to complain. So, I told my boss, the assistant mgr. He listens and says. “sounds OK to me”. So, I jumped about on Friday and he said the same think. On Saturday, he finally gave in and went up to the projection booth. The projectionist went to a relay rack, open the door and looked inside. He says, “Don’s right. there are 2 amps out. Will call RCA service co and get them out here Monday”. Monday night and Tuesday the movie sounded AWESOME again.

Don H.